• Published 5th Apr 2019
  • 2,270 Views, 33 Comments

The Hunter and the Hunted - Marezinger Z



The girls look to uncover the mystery of a series of break-ins while the school deals with an obnoxious new student.

  • ...
3
 33
 2,270

Chapter 1

The Hunter and the Hunted

Chapter 1:

Sunset stirred at the sound of her alarm and groggily reached over to silence the jarring noise. With a yawn, she kicked her legs over the side of the bed and stood; adjusting her twisted pajamas, she headed for the bathroom to start her day. Going through the motions of her morning routine, she readied herself for school. As she passed through the living room she turned on the T.V. and headed into the kitchen to make breakfast. Opting for a portable, bacon and egg sandwich, the morning news caught her attention with a breaking report.

“This morning the owner of Grand Illusions, a family owned magic shop, reported a devastating break-in to the police.” The reporter began. “The owner reported nothing stolen, but his shop suffered an estimated $12,000 in damages. He was quoted as saying it looked as if wild animals had run through his shop. This marks the third, similar break in this month with two other locations around town having suffered near identical incidents. As of this time there are still no suspects.”

“Trixie is going to blow a gasket when she hears that.” Sunset said to herself. “Like we need any more weirdness happening around here.” Once finished prepping her sandwich she scooped up her backpack and headed out. The familiar trip to school was as unremarkable as ever and as she passed through Canterlot High’s front doors she immediately heard the boisterous voice of her ‘Great and Powerful’ friend.

“This attack on magic cannot stand!” Trixie shouted from the middle of the main hall to anyone who would listen. “This baseless attack is surely the work of narrow minded people who cannot open their minds to the world of the mystical! I’ve been going to that store since I was as little girl and I ask you all to help me aid in its restoration!”

Sunset waved to get her attention. “Trixie!”

Trixie settled down as she approached. “Sunset, I trust you heard what happened?”

“Yeah, I saw it on the news. Sorry to hear.”

“Well, at least someone seems to care.” Trixie said snidely as she glared at the passing students who were eager to avoid her. “I’m trying to start a fundraiser to help the owner rebuild but…” She looked back down the hall angrily. “Some people can’t seem to be bothered!” She yelled, her voice reverberating through the hall.

“That’s great of you Trixie.” Sunset put a calming hand to her shoulder. “But a little more honey and a lot less vinegar might net you some more progress. Let me know when you get set up though, you can count on my help.”

“Thank you, Sunset.” Trixie noticed Snips and Snails coming in through the front door, immediately setting herself on them for aid.

Sunset laughed and continued down the hall. Along the way she came across Rainbow Dash hanging out with Applejack next to her locker. “Morning.” She greeted.

“Howdy Sunset.” Applejack tipped her hat.

“What’s up?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Nothing new.” Sunset leaned against the lockers. “Did you two hear about that third break in this morning?”

“Yeah, Trixie told us all about it.” Rainbow Dash said with a heavy eye roll.

“To be honest, things like that aren’t all that uncommon.” Applejack noted.

“I know, but something about it just seems abnormal.” Sunset twisted her lips in thought. “I mean, who trashes a magic shop?”

“Who knows?” Rainbow Dash shrugged. “Probably some punk kids.”

“I guess.” Sunset shook off her nagging thoughts on the matter. “So, what’s new in hallway gossip?”

“Apparently somebody finally got into it with that new student yesterday afternoon.” Applejack informed.

“Oh yeah… Hunter, right?” Sunset recalled hearing the name before. “I forgot about him, I think I’ve only seen him like two times since he showed up.”

“Not surprising.” Applejack nodded. “He’s in one of my classes; quiet as a church mouse and only opens his mouth when the teacher calls on him. Doesn’t even so much as attempt to be friendly to anyone and if someone tries, he gets pretty snippy with them.”

“Yeah well, his mouth was open yesterday.” Rainbow Dash said with a hint of distaste. “I heard that Soarin tried to call him out on his attitude and Hunter started laying into him like it was his job or something.”

“Wow.” Sunset said with a hint a surprise. “I haven’t even talked to him so I really can’t say one thing or another. Maybe he’s having a hard time adjusting to a new school.”

The five minute bell interrupted their conversation and the girls hurried along to their first classes. Come lunch time the cafeteria came alive with the bulk of the student body. Sunset and her friends claimed a central table and as they ate they overheard upset muttering from the table behind them which was populated by members of the soccer team.

“Check it out, there he is.” One of the boys pointed towards the double doors as he saw Hunter enter the cafeteria.

“Dude, just let it go.” Another said. “He’s not worth it.”

“You want to let him get away with what he said?” The first boy asked.

Across the room, Hunter grabbed a tray and stepped in line. He waited quietly as the students ordered their food from Granny Smith. When he finally reached the front he looked over the choices grimly. “This is the same food from yesterday, isn’t it?” He asked with a crooked smile.

Granny sighed heavily. “Made fresh, every day.”

“You certain, I’m pretty sure I recognize that carrot on the left.”

“What do ya’ll want?” Granny asked dryly.

“I’ll go with the vegetable soup. It’s the thing that looks the most like the thing it’s supposed to be.” He chuckled to himself.

“You know, if you think you can whip up something better you’re more than welcome to jump back here and show me how it’s done.” Granny eyed him as she placed a bowl of soup on his tray.

“That’s okay, if I ever get desperate for better food I’ll just go to jail.” He returned her look.

“Hmph, well I never.” Granny grumbled.

“Well you should, you might like it.” He tipped his head to her as he headed off to find a table. As he sat and took out his spoon he heard a voice call out at him.

“Hey!” The three members of the soccer team started over.

“Oh goody.” Hunter sighed as he set his spoon down and turned to them. “Yes?” He asked, his voice drenched in sarcastic interest.

“We heard what you said about Soarin yesterday.” The angry player at the group’s head said. “He may have let it slide but don’t think the rest of the team is going to be that easygoing.”

Hunter rolled his eyes. “Oh please, so I made fun of a soccer player. So what?” He stood. “It’s not like we’re in Europe where that’s a capital offense.”

“You piece of…”

“Hey hey!” Sunset came over and grabbed his shoulder. “Knock it off before campus security shows up.”

“Better listen to Bacon Braids here.” Hunter smiled.

“Yeah, just calm…” Sunset paused. “Bacon Braids?”

“Are you really going to stand up for this guy?” The student asked.

“I’m not standing up for anything, I’m just trying to keep you from doing something stupid.” Sunset gestured around to show that their scene had captured everyone’s attention.

“Fine.” The three of them backed off and returned to their table.

Hunter sat back down but noticed that Sunset sat across from him. “Please, have a seat.” He eyed her with a hint of irritation.

“You can take the attitude down a notch, I just wanted to talk.”

“Well that makes one of us.” He noted as he began eating.

“Hey, I’ve been the new kid too.” She shrugged. “I know it isn’t always easy.”

“It is for me, I change schools a lot.”

“Can’t imagine why.” Sunset smiled.

“Ha, ha… not bad.” He nodded. “Look, you strike me as the kind of person who likes to step up and step in.” He stopped eating and stood. “But you should be careful where you step.” He put his fists on the table and matched eyes with her. “Mine fields don’t care who’s walking on them, everyone gets blasted just the same.” With that, he abandoned his food and headed out of the cafeteria. Sunset watched him go and reflected on the encounter.

“Sunset.” Twilight and Rainbow Dash came over to check on her. “What did he say?”

“Nothing nice I bet.” Rainbow Dash folded her arms. “Told you he was jerk.”

“Sure seems like it.” Sunset said.

“Come on, lunch is almost over.” Twilight waved her back towards the table. “Let’s finish eating.”

“Yeah.” Sunset rose and followed them back over to the others.

The rest of the day went smoothly and as the final bell rang, Sunset made her final trip to her locker before making for the front doors.

“Sunset, darling.” Rarity called to her as she walked.

“Hey Rarity.” She turned mid step and waved.

“I’m going to meet Fluttershy for an early dinner, would you care to join?” Rarity asked as she caught up to her.

“Sure, I’ve got nothing going.” Sunset nodded as they continued on together. As the pair left the building they came across Flash and Micro Chips standing at the bottom of the front steps.

“Hey, Sunset.” Flash waved. “Word is going around you had more than a ten second conversation with Hunter.”

“That really such a big deal?” She asked as they joined them.

“Well dear.” Rarity began. “He does seem to be rather… how I should put this, insufferable.”

“I don’t know.” Sunset thought. “He told me he’s changed schools a lot. He didn't say why, but going through that would take its toll on anyone.”

“Well, I suppose if that’s the case it could affect his outlook.” Micro Chips surmised. “I mean, he might not feel it worth making friends if he suspects he won’t be around long enough to get close to them.”

“Listen.” Sunset eyed the boys. “How about you and the other guys try to get in with him.”

“Uh…” Flash ran his fingers though his hair. “I suppose we could.” He looked to Micro Chips. “What do you think?”

“Nothing positive.” He admitted. “But I’m willing to try.”

“Great.” Sunset applauded their willingness. “I’ll meet you guys after school tomorrow and you can let us know how it went.” They parted ways and the girls went to meet Fluttershy at the Sweet Shoppe.

Author's Note:

This is my first delve into the Equestria Girls world. I'm playing this one looser since I'm not as familiar with it as I am with the standard MLP universe. That gives me an opportunity to try some new things and give myself a little more freedom. Hope you enjoy.