• Published 11th May 2019
  • 332 Views, 12 Comments

Daring Do and the magic lamp - Andy Ray



[Unabandoned work] Daring Do meets a genie. An actual genie. Her soon-to-be book has just gotten a lot more interesting... Will she curse herself multiple times for ever discovering that lamp?

  • ...
 12
 332

Chapter 4. We must protect the lamp!

Daring trotted alongside the streets of Vanhoover, turning her head every each way at the wonderful sights this town had.

A day-off be a day-off!

"Beautiful town!.." -- she sighed in content.

"Uh-huh. Truly a sight to behold!" -- replied to her Gee sarcastically from inside the lamp tucked in Daring's saddle bag.

"Oops! -- Daring grinned sheepishly. -- Sorry. Want to come out and take a look?"

"Although I am physically inside this thrice cursed vessel, -- he grumbled, -- I am not confined to it any more. So I can actually picture everything", -- at that a camera took off of Daring's chest, focused on her, and then took a photo.

Daring winced with a turn of her head at the flash, slightly dazed by the camera's sudden appearance. The device hung itself back onto Daring's neck, and Daring guessed, this was Gee's doing.

"Uh-hum. Figures", -- replied she.

They continued their walk taking in and enjoying that beautiful day... until a pony approached Daring, who shrank inside upon noticing him. She recognised him!

"Good afternoon, miss, -- he spoke to her evenly. -- If I may be so bold: how is your latest book doing?"

"Um... H-hello... m-mister Letterpress... -- she stammered nervously. -- Um-m-m... about that..."

The pony knit his eyebrows:

"Miss Yearling, your time is, if I may, running out! Your success, you see, comes at a price! Should you cease writing -- well, disappointment is bound to arise. Sales will get low... And that is not what I'd want..."

"W-well, you see, m-mister Letterpress, -- tried Daring uneasily, -- the adventure per se is ready... Just..."

"Just the matter of the actual content, -- let out the pony, then stared at the mare, unblinking. -- What we need is not an idea, miss... What we need, is... -- he paused, as if to build suspense. -- ...an adventure! Action! Thrill!! -- he started to gesture to emphasise his point further. -- We need... a hero! A legend! That's what they all crave for, after all!"

"Sir, I have the legend! -- defended Daring Do. -- This tale is... uh, ripe with thrill!.. But, uh... There are just so many directions this tale can go to!"

"Excellent. Now: where is this wondrous tale you are saying you have? Huh?" -- wondered Letterpress, not so excited and gazing at Daring expectantly. She only lowered her eyes in embarrassment.

"That's what I thought, -- he answered at last. -- Remember, miss Yearling, -- he started, as he was about to bid a farewell, -- no tale -- no sale. Remember that!"

And with that he went away.

Daring stood there for a while, all nervous and sweating a bit. The time was right to submit her work -- and what had she? Her genie tale was merely the idea of the book, as her publisher had said. Could she come up with something more detailed at such short a span of time?

Daring might have started hyperventilating, had she been Twilight Sparkle -- whom she knew as the princess of friendship, yet not personally, -- but her panic did cease, when Gee reminded of his presence suddenly:

"Mistress, if I may help you in your dark hour?"

"Gee! -- exclaimed Daring, -- Oh my Celestia, this is horrible! I must return immediately and write that adventure down!.. But... Urgh!" -- she all but shrieked.

"Well... -- Gee smiled, albeit unseen to Daring, -- ...Mistress, haven't you a genie!"

Daring paused... and then all but smacked her on her forehead -- so dumb she felt herself!

"You know what... You are right! -- she said with excitement entering her voice. -- Gee! You're... gee-nious!"

For some unfathomable reason there was a "rim-shot" heard -- b'doot! ts-s-s! -- and Daring, trying not to crack with internal smile, could almost see Gee's most bemused look.

"That's because I'm a... genie", -- "b'doot! ts-s-s!" could be heard once again.

Daring realised, it must have been the genie's doing, for nopony seemed to be playing actually any drums. She stifled the urge to laugh, her front hoof covering her mouth, and remembered her predicament:

"Alright! I want... I mean, I wish, -- she corrected, berating herself mentally at the slip... then decided all of a sudden, -- ...you stopped acting as if you didn't understand what I wanted, and did from now on what I express myself for you to do, be my expressing explicit or, if decisive, implicit!"

"But I am a genie! I grant wishes, not do as told!"

"Well, I wish you did both!"

The genie only sighed in understanding:

"As wishes my mistress..."


The next thing Daring wished for was her having her story idea become the end product... but Gee, although able now to do things beyond simple wish fulfilment, still refused to provide a simple way, motivating that by his obligatory having to satisfy his master's (or in this case -- mistress') wishes, while said mistress might have been unsatisfied, since Gee did not know which way she wanted him to satisfy her. Honestly, Daring would have strangled him simply for his hypocrisy -- as she didn't see that a valid excuse at all; and why would even a genie refuse to do something for the sake of knowing his "customer" was satisfied, anyway? But Gee swore he might not just do what she'd want him -- the lamp, as he'd explained, was powerful enough to contain him, and it monitored his actions closely, lest he did anything his confinement terms restricted him from doing! So-o-o...

"Then how am I to make you, lazy... fellow, yeah, -- how am I to make you grant me my wish?!" -- asked Daring him in frustration at his being unhelpful. The genie only smiled mischievously, which didn't pass Daring's attention.

"Hey! What are you up to, Gee?!"

The latter only kept his grin:

"Well... You see..."

"I swear... -- said Daring quietly, which would have sent chills down the genie's spine, had he been a simple mortal. -- ...If you are scheming something!.."

"Well, what am I scheming, Mistress! -- cried Gee. -- May I not be entertained?! Besides -- you'll LOVE this!" -- his excited grin was intended to tell the suspicious mare, that, yes, she would, and just how much!

But Daring was having none of that:

"Gee..."

"Yes?"

Daring remained silent.

"Oh, just let me do it this way, -- Gee, tired of waiting for Daring to continue, went on. -- I can take you to where you'll SEE the details you need so desperately. You won't regret ever having decided to let me!" -- he might even squeal with delight, so excited he seemed to be of his own idea!

Daring considered that reluctantly. If she remembered the incantation on the lamp correctly, Gee was supposed "to satisfy his master upon granting each and every of his wishes in a way he would set or have set". Seemed pretty safe... Still...

"Should this not satisfy me..." -- began Daring.

"It shall!" -- echoed the genie readily.

"...If it shouldn't... -- enunciated Daring, all intent on accenting the seriousness of this. -- I should expect a full refund! A satisfiable refund, understand that, you smarty?!"

The genie only chuckled, seeing her angry face:

"Oh, Mistress! -- he waved nonchalantly, all the while smiling, finding Daring's frown adorable. -- I. Am. Bound. To serve. You! You have the full guarantee!" His posture all screamed "I am your best friend, you have to trust me!", which was by itself suspicion-inducing enough. "Besides, -- added he with a sly smile, -- you won't pass up an opportunity to avert your grave crisis, now will you? Haven't you simply GOT to finish your book?" -- his smile widened a bit.

"Oh, FINE! -- conceded Daring Do with a frustrated sigh. -- I wish you did this!"

"Di-i-id wha-a-at?"

"Retell me your plan, -- grumbled Daring, -- and, if and only if I agree to it, then I wish your plan came to its realisation".

"Please, -- replied Gee to her, grinning, -- specify, which plan you wish..."

"GEE!!!"

"Alright, OK! Don't get excited!" -- laughed the genie and recapitulated her his offer.

Daring considered everything carefully, then, apparently finding it trustworthy and shenanigan-free, gave her consent. And instantly...

"Let! The adventu-u-ure! Begin!!!"


Daring cracked one eye open gingerly. Nothing seemed to have changed. An ordinary sight. Ordinary sounds. An ordinary wind. Ordinary heat. Everything even smelt ordinary. "Gee. What has happened? Has... anything?"

And, no sooner did she say that, than a dishevelled, sleazy pony appeared seemingly out of nowhere, snatched Daring's saddle bag and fled!

"Hey!" -- shouted Daring, surprised. For a couple of seconds she stood there, disoriented completely. "You stop!" -- shouting that out, she gave chase.

"There's Gee! Gee's inside there!" -- she thought frantically in her run. The thief, meanwhile, was far from losing distance, but was gaining none so far as well. "I may have a chance yet", -- thought Daring, putting everything into her speed. She switched to flying, her legs assisting her in accelerating, as she pushed herself off the ground. It did help somewhat, but the thief was still far.

The ponies around her noticed her chase, some even tried to assist her, and some tried even to assist the running away thief, thinking, apparently, that he was fleeing for his life! It, in all honesty, complicated the chase for Daring, as not only did she try to catch up with the thief, but she tried not to get caught by her own chasers as well! Surprisingly enough, about everypony seemed to have taken some devices designed to catch: fishing nets, butterfly nets, fishing rods, butterfly-on-a-rod lollipops (primarily for luring foals); lassos, empty sacks, decently sized plastic bags; balloons filled with glue (to glue the target to a surface), balloons filled with water (to wet one's enemy), balloons filled with paint (for a paintball game to play later), balloons filled with air (to celebrate the certain victory to come soon), balloons filled with helium (same, plus to have fun with high-pitched voices); a lone pegasus had even the weirdest idea of trying to lure Daring with a carrot on a stick: thinking Daring wouldn't notice him, he hovered above her, the carrot dangling in her sight. "Whom does he think of me as? as of a pig?!" -- fumed Daring indignantly and tried to focus on the thief. He was seemingly closer, than before, so there was still hope! Daring bit her lip, determination plastered on her face! She could do that! She gave an even more powerful flap with her wings -- and by the thin margin avoided a balloon directed at her, which impacted with something and burst in smoke. "Whoa!" -- yelped Daring. Had she had more time to glance back, she would have seen, some ponies, who were unfortunate to inhale that smoke, fell asleep. Another smoke bomb exploded, missing her just by the feather. Daring had once again no time to look back, but laughter she heard afterwards told her, that was, apparently, a balloon filled with laughing gas.

Flapping as hard, as she could, she sped up to try to get away from the mob and closer to the thief. She was nearing him! She wouldn't lose his sight!

After a couple of turns they both were on the same street, mere dozens feet away each from other. Daring pushed herself to her limits. Come on, come on, almost there!..

"You! -- shouted she to the chasee. -- I demand you drop my saddle bag this very instant!" The pony didn't answer... but the next moment stumbled upon something and flew sprawling forward, releasing the stolen saddle bag in the process. He flopped onto his belly and oomphed. Daring never slowed down, and instead of that headed for her precious belongings, grabbed them -- and performed a loop, targeting the thief now.

The latter let out an "Ow-w-w!", for the sprawl was a painful one, and tried to get back onto his hooves... but Daring had something other in her mind!

She collided with the thief at full force, bringing him down. Both hadn't broken a bone, but let out together nonetheless: "OW-W-W!" The two lay together for a while, sore, until Daring felt better. She got on top of the stallion, pinning him down. "How DARE you?! -- she bellowed. -- How dare you to steal what's not yours?!" The stallion tried to wiggle his way out, but failed. He ceased his wiggling, grunting in frustration.

Daring decided, it was awkward just to sit on top of him, and screamed at the top of her lungs: "Somepony, HELP!" She inhaled for another scream: "I HAVE CAUGHT A THIEF!!!" The thief, hearing that, tried yet one more time to squirm away, but Daring was alert and wouldn't let him go. Some ponies did answer her call and got closer. Questions started to pour: "What's the matter?" -- "What's he done?" -- "What's going on?"

"Folks, please! -- screamed the stallion to the crowd. -- Save me from her! She's crazy!" Daring, too dumbfounded to retort, remained silent, as murmurs started to bubble.

"Please! -- resumed the thief. -- Let me go!"

The crowd was unsure of what to do, until Daring decided finally to act:

"What??! Don't listen to him!"

"Please, listen to me!"

"You stole my bag!"

"That wasn't your bag!"

"The hay??!"

The stallion tried to free himself:

"Don't just stand around and do help me, please!"

Daring only gripped him more firmly.

"Guys! -- she shouted. -- That's the thief!"

"I ain't no thief!" -- screamed the stallion indignantly.

"Well, you!.. did!.. steal it!" -- she huffed out, as she tried to subjugate the squirming thief, while the crowd still couldn't decide, which side to join.

"Me??! YOU were the one, who had stolen it from!.."

But, realising something, he almost bit his tongue, as if he had just let an important secret slip. It didn't go unnoticed by Daring...

"Hey! What was that about?" -- she enquired. The pony only shut his lips and shook his head, desperate inside for Daring Do not to pry further.

Well... He knew Daring Do awfully.

Determined to discover the truth, Daring leant with all her weight upon the stallion, signifying he shouldn't go to anywhere and pinning him to the ground effectively. "Now, -- she said quietly to him, -- I presume, it's a secret, ain't it?" The thief only remained silent, all worried. "Then I can only... wish for you to spill the beans... bastard!"

The pony remained as stoic, as he'd been... but only for a few moments, as his face changed to that of surprise, as actual beans poured out of his pockets, literally spilling all over the place.

"The h??!.." -- tried Daring, failing to express her equal befuddlement. The crowd was confused as well and neared the centre of conflict to see all that closely.

Daring got off of the thief and reached for her saddle bag, which lay abandoned near the two.

"Gee, what the heck?! -- addressed she her genie, still concealed inside. -- Why did you do that?"

"I didn't! -- replied to her the thief, still confused, but now standing up and preparing to leave. -- I don't even know where they've all come from!"

"Nopony has asked you! -- turned to him Daring angrily. -- You had a simple task of spilling the beans, and!.."

"Well, who could have guessed it would have been actual beans!" -- resented the thief.

Daring almost opened her mouth to answer that... but remembered she'd wanted Gee to be a secret for a while, and didn't.

"Nev... never mind, -- she grumbled. -- I wanted to hear answers from you. What's unclear in that simple wish?" -- she asked with a stealth hint.

"Ha! Don't expect me to tell YOU of all ponies Ahuizotl hired me! -- retorted the thief cockily. -- I don't tell that stuff to the next-door pony! Besides, if his evil scheme were revealed -- wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of trying to conceal such knowledge from you?" Daring only raised a bemused brow on her otherwise stoic face. "Do you even know, -- continued the stallion, -- how enraged he was, when he'd discovered the... lamp had been not what he'd expected it to be? Naturally he would hire a guy to hunt you down and to reclaim what's his! Of course, -- he puffed his chest, -- someone as skilful as me costs a price! He promised he'd shower me with wealth! Obviously that lamp must be something special -- not that I'd tell you why! 'Cause I don't know that myself! But that's my job, anyway, so you had better hand what you stole to me, so I could bring it to Ahuizotl, and he could proceed to his master plan! Woo-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!" -- he laughed maniacally, almost copying Ahuizotl's laughter, as far, as Daring could say.

"Alright, I think, you have told me enough, -- decided Daring. -- Bye!" With those words said she equipped her saddle bag and made to leave.

"Wait!" The thief realised, something had gone terribly wrong. "Gee, -- whispered Daring, -- teleport me home, but do that so nopony bothered with what has happened since my saddle bag had gotten stolen!"

"If you say so..." -- replied to her the genie.


"I... just don't understand, -- was Daring contemplating aloud, pacing that way, then the other. -- I requested of you to do not only what I'd wish for you to do, but what I'd tell you to do as well. You proved yourself obedient, when that thug tripped, -- she knit her eyebrows, -- then, when I wished he'd spilt the beans..." -- a pause followed. Gee was just floating before the now cross Daring Do, trying to look as innocent, as could be.

Daring stopped her pacing abruptly and faced the genie:

"What the heck was that about, Gee? What the heck?! -- she started to approach him. -- Do you not know the meaning of the saying "to spill the beans"??"

The genie folded his arms:

"Well! You said you wished he'd spilt them! So they were! Spilt! A... Wait, did you mean?.." -- he looked incredulous... and then keeled over, bursting out laughing: "Oh... Oh!.. But... but... of course, ha-ha! -- laughter. -- "To sp-spi-hi-hill the... beans!.."" -- laughter. After some time it died down a bit. "How could I not understand you! I... I must have!.." He calmed down. Daring stood, as cross, as she'd been, her gaze almost literally boring a hole in the genie. "Hey! -- he resented. -- Stop boring me!"

Daring was taken aback by that:

"Are you saying... I-I'm boring?!"

But, before she realised what the genie meant, the latter beat her to it:

"No, you were quite entertaining in fact back then... "To spill the beans", he-he-hee", -- he giggled, and then continued: "But, honestly, had I... -- a popping sound, -- ...been allowed to be entertained... I believe... there might have... -- another pop, -- ...been a bit more, than all of those beans..." -- he revealed to have been popping beans into existence.

...Daring realised, he was trying to make a bean pun, sighed, lowered her head, lifted her hoof to her forehead and said:

"I don't even know... what you are trying to achieve by making those".

"Why! -- replied to her Gee. -- To achieve a bean soup of course!"

Daring only facehoofed.

"Humph! -- harrumphed the genie. -- As if you achieved something... by those beans!" -- pausing, he grinned and continued: "...By those "would've beans"!"

No sooner did Daring manage to facehoof one more time, than a "rim-shot", courtesy of Gee, rang.

"Anyway, -- decided Daring to progress, -- I still think you did that on purpose! How COULD you misinterpret it like THAT??"

"Oh, but he did spill them! Metaphorically, I mean! -- he blurted, lest Daring showed her fury. -- And you know you shouldn't relax".

"Yes, indeed, -- answered Daring somewhat absent-mindedly. -- So, Ahuizotl decided he should have the lamp, no matter what... Well, then! -- she turned to Gee. -- Can't I get rid of this problem once and for all?"

"Uh-h-h, but..."

"No "buts"! -- interrupted Daring him. -- He's a pain alright!"

"He's the chance for you to finish your story! -- pleaded the genie. -- How don't you see that?!"

Daring stopped at that and considered. Indeed, her genie tale was mere fiction; an actual genie hadn't been supposed to appear in it! But real life dictated its own rules... and was serving her an adventure. It seemed, her and Ahuizotl's rivalry wasn't over yet...

"Alright, -- she decided. -- It seems valid. Looks, like my adventure isn't over yet".

"It's FAR from being over, Mistress! -- exclaimed Gee enthusiastically. -- Haven't I been telling you that since... W-well, since today, but, uh... Wow, it sure looks like it's been over a week ago!"

Daring shook her head mildly:

"Ugh-h-h, Gee. -- she exhaled. -- Your impatience is so childish I can't believe it!"

"I am reasonable, yes, -- replied to her Gee, -- but if you had spent a whole eternity deprived of... Well! -- he waved his genie hand in a motion, as if to say "forget that last part". -- ...Then wouldn't you have been hungry to get back at it and to catch up with everything you'd have missed?! Huh?? Well, I am!"

"Alright, geez! -- Daring lifted her forehooves in a stopping manner, cracking up a smile. -- Wouldn't want you to die of all the excitement".

"I'm the only Gee around here", -- said Gee, a bit confused.

Daring blinked:

"Yes (?)".

"Then... Well, then say it that way".

"Which way?"

""Alright, Gee"".

Daring broke out laughing. "Gee, he-he-hee! It's..." She choked, trying to calm down. When she managed that, she explained: ""Geez" isn't, he-hee, the plural of your name!"

"It isn't?.. -- echoed Gee, frowning a bit. -- How odd. It should be".

Suspending all of the shenanigans for now, Daring decided, it was about time to start writing her adventure down. For that she'd need to play the role of a hero... even if reluctantly.

"Alright, -- she said, -- so what will it be next?"

"Well, the goal is to protect the lamp from being stolen".

"Maybe, I shouldn't carry it all the time, don't you think?"

"Oh, please! Where should I hide then?"

Daring tapped her chin in thought:

"I don't know... Wait, I do know! -- she exclaimed and made a gesture, which only lacked a lightbulb above her hoof. -- I remember, the temple your lamp resided in had a trap set for those, who might want to steal it".

"You would remember", -- nodded Gee.

Daring cringed slightly, recalling her quest and imagining, what would have happened, if Ahuizotl hadn't snatched the fake lamp, when the room had collapsed. Then again, even if he hadn't, nothing would have changed: she wouldn't have had the map of the labyrinth, so she would have had to team up with Ahuizotl, and, well, you get the point: all is well that ends well in the end, isn't it?

Daring emerged from her recollections, shaking her head:

"Anyway, if someone made a fake lamp just to fool those like me... -- she flushed a bit from slight embarrassment. -- ...Then, well, we might do one as well? What do you think, Gee?"

The genie considered, although he seemed to like the idea already:

"Well... Alright, you know? A fake lamp that be! Do you wish for me to summon one?"

Daring rolled her eyes, reminded of the original necessity of having actually to wish something came true:

"Yes, I do, Gee".

"And here you have it!"


Unbeknownst to both, far away from Daring Do's house was Ahuizotl's lair. For an average pony it might seem a dark place. Ominous even. Not for the likes of Stealth Pun, who, despite his name (or, perhaps, according to it), could not make a pun, even if his life depended on it. Some curious minds asked themselves the question: why was his name Stealth Pun? Some did a research and discovered, that his full name was actually Stealthy Unexpected Punishment and that his parents' occupation was to bring justice in Equestria. This sounded quite ironic, for Stealthy had become a thief. Why? Perhaps, he believed, by stealing some things from the other he brought justice? Who's to know? But some preferred actually to believe, his full name was indeed Stealth Pun, because his name, ironically, had turned out to be itself a stealth pun, albeit not so obvious one (naturally!). Seriously, if he were to shorten his name, it would become "Stealthy U. Pun.", and when a pony tells you his name is "Stealthy U. Pun.", what do you answer to that? Don't know, huh? "Wow, so stealthy, I myself haven't noticed!"... Um... Awkward silence? Alright... Anyway, one day he ended up having shortened his name just to "Stealthy Pun.", and where the "y" went to -- who's to say? Maybe, that was, because nopony could answer, why his name had become like this? Alright, let's not overpun this, for this one is a serious and quite ominous place!

Again, the likes of Stealth Pun were not so easily intimidated by something about every villain had done to death: just by the looks of it one could safely say, it was a villain's abode. Why, it might seem, successful writers came to his dwelling place just to describe what it looked like -- so perfectly did it fit the typical evil overlord's apartment's description!

This time, however, Stealth Pun was shivering. His boss, whom he worked for recently, was about to ask him of his mission's outcome. What was he to report? He had failed! He wasn't even sure, why he had told that mare everything! What force had made him spill the beans -- both literally and metaphorically?!

"So?! How did it go?!" He jumped in surprise -- that was his boss speaking. Alright, the time had come... May Celestia forgive him for everything! "Oh, if only you wouldn't have made me an outlaw!" -- exclaimed he internally, hoping simultaneously, the sun princess both did and didn't hear him...


"WHAT??!!"

The stallion folded his ears, both in fear and to protect his sense of hearing. "How COULD you?!!" -- was Ahuizotl raging. The poor pony made to try to explain himself, but Ahuizotl seemed not ready for any sort of explanation.

When he did, however, ask him to elaborate, whatever might have caused the pony to have failed...

"W-well... -- proceeded Stealth. -- Y-you see..."


...Far away from Daring Do's house was Ahuizotl's lair (again).

Inside that lair were Ahuizotl himself and his henchpony. The latter had failed his mission and was now awaiting whatever his boss would decide upon his fate. The former (that is, said boss)... was facepalming so dedicatedly he could have punched right through his face.

"...A... -- words wouldn't come to Ahuizotl. -- Ugh-h-h..."

The henchpony stood timidly. What else might he do?

"Would you care to enlighten me, -- asked Ahuizotl gently, his facepalm persisting, -- HOW??!"

"Sir", -- was Stealth about to...

"OF ALL THE THINGS TO HAVE BEEN ABLE TO HAVE HAPPENED -- THIS!!! -- he shrieked ear-piercingly. The poor pony once again folded his ears, clutching to them. -- THIS IS!.. THE! MOST! STUPID THING!!! To have happened to you", -- he finished, exhausted.

Stealth was by then trembling noticeably. "I admit it! -- he tried, despite his voice shaking. -- That was stupid, boss! I-I'm not the f-faulty one! Y-yes, you see... I... I-I didn't know!.. what in the WORLD had me!!"

"Excuses, excuses! -- grumbled Ahuizotl. -- CURSE them for being so pathetic!!!" The pony flinched, fear on his face. "You idiot had one. Simple. Task. To perform! -- Ahuizotl rose from the chair he'd been sitting upon. -- And you failed it!!!" The poor stallion whimpered. "I shall now decide your fate! Hm-m-m..." -- he mused.

Fearing the worst, poor Stealth started panickedly: "But, sir, I wouldn't have failed you! I could have even gotten away with the lamp! -- he ranted, desperate for something to work! -- My acting skills, sir! The crowd could not decide, if it should have helped Daring Do or me! That's a mastery one could only wish for his henchpony to have!.."

Ahuizotl flinched. Busy with inventing the worst punishment imaginable, he had missed his exact words, and there had been something, something he couldn't place his claw upon... He furrowed his brow, putting all effort now into trying to figure that out, neither hearing Stealth's pleas, nor proceeding with the punishment.

There was just something way too important... Something everything was depending on now!.. But what?!..

Sighing in frustration, Ahuizotl decided he'd better have moved along. He cast his gaze upon the minion that was nearly sweeping the floor with his body in his pleas.

"Tell me, -- spoke Ahuizotl, -- was there something that was... well... -- he motioned his hand, not finding words to describe it. -- Well..."

"Like what, boss?" -- perked up Stealth, visibly relieved nothing had so far gone wrong or terribly wrong!

"Well... -- continued Ahuizotl. -- You see... Uh... Well, retell, how it went!" -- he finished impatiently.

"Yes, sir! -- Stealth hopped onto his hooves in joy. -- When you gave me my mission..."

"Scratch that!!! -- shrieked Ahuizotl. -- Go straight to the part, where you failed!"

Stealth shuffled, embarrassed: "Y-yeah, r-right... So..."


"...Honestly, had it not been for all the strange things, which happened... No, the beans spilling? Really??.. And then I... started all of a sudden... against my will, sir!.. to tell..."

By this point Ahuizotl hadn't still figured out what had been so important he'd missed back then. It infuriated him, to say the least. He hadn't snapped only because he'd felt that little detail would emerge. Barely concealing a sigh, he rolled that last couple of sentences in his mind. Strange things, yeah, it was indeed a mystery. But that was only the indication something had gone wrong! What had exactly?!

And then there were the beans. Admittedly he had almost chuckled at that. Who could have thought of it? Had he carried the beans all the while?

"Tell me, -- spoke Ahuizotl to Stealth, -- are you sure your name given to you wasn't spot-on?"

Stealth stopped his report abruptly:

"Huh? My name? What about it, sir?"

"Why, were you carrying those beans that whole time?"

"No, sir. I was as surprised, as the ponies around were".

"That's what I don't understand... -- muttered Ahuizotl. -- Had that been you, I would have understood that... -- he paused and stared at Stealth meaningfully, -- ...stealth pun that occurred".

Thankfully, no "rim-shots" rang after that, otherwise Stealth Pun might have been insulted. Deeply. Profusely. He only managed to half-smile cringily, to please his boss: "Sure, boss. But that wasn't me. (A pity, -- he mumbled. -- That'd have been gold. This is why I'm not a comedian)", -- he sighed.

Ahuizotl strained his mind. This mystery was unsolvable! And that pun!

"Was Daring Do assisted by somepony", -- muttered Ahuizotl to himself.

"No, sir, -- replied to him Stealth, -- she was all alone. In fact, have I not mentioned she was as surprised, as me?"

"But that's NONSENSICAL! -- exclaimed Ahuizotl. -- If I had been there, carrying with me a l..."


And suddenly it hit him!

"Hold on... What did she say before the bean incident?"

Stealth furrowed his brow, trying to remember it obediently:

"She... said to me to spill the beans".

"Yes, but... did she by any chance wish for you to spill the beans?"

This question caught Stealth off guard. He considered, then shook his head: "Forgive me, sir, but I don't remember her exact words". Ahuizotl hardly resisted the urge to throw a temper tantrum at this inconvenience. Stealth shrank a little, seeing his boss' fury...

"Alright, -- squeaked Ahuizotl. -- That might explain everything..."

"Forgive me, sir?" -- raised Stealth an unsure brow.

"Don't you get it?! -- barked Ahuizotl, but remembered something and bit his tongue. -- O-of course you wouldn't". He sighed, to show his discontent. "Yet... -- continued he. -- Despite your failure I... shall give you another task".

"Oh! I won't let you down, sir!" -- exclaimed joyous Stealth.

Ahuizotl only sneered:

"You'd better, you nincompoop!"

Stealth shivered at that slightly and nodded with some effort, gulping (but not so visibly).

"Then this is your new task! -- commanded Ahuizotl him. -- You must spy on Daring Do and figure out where she hides that lamp! Then I'll try to steal it from her myself! And be careful: someone must be screwing with her mind, for I have my suspicions, she thinks there REALLY is a GENIE from the lamp!"

"No sh... -rimps at the market any more! -- exclaimed a stunned Stealth. -- Really?!"

Ahuizotl nodded slowly:

"Yes, she lets someone naively pull a fast one on her. A long and drawn-out fast one! -- he smirked. -- In fact, I have a perfect plan to fool her!" -- and he cackled.

"Sir! -- addressed Stealth him. -- If I may..."

"Yes?"

"What... what, if there is a genie inside there?"


Ahuizotl only laughed dismissively: "Oh, you silly head! I would pinch your cheek!.. were you not so pathetically STUPID!" -- he roared, and Stealth was sent flying a few feet back. "I have searched for a magic lamp the spirits know for how long -- and have found nothing! There only have been fakes! -- he started pacing in frustration. -- But that last one promised me so much! Daring Do was hunting it as well! But I got ahead of her, -- he posed triumphantly, -- for I am Ahuizotl, and there's never been ANYONE to match me!" -- he stood, as if basking in the rays of the pouring glory, then continued, dropping the act: "I got a hold of it, checked it for containing a genie -- and do you know what?" -- he stared at Stealth expectantly. Then: "Nothing. Nothing! So I decided to throw that away initially, but reconsidered. I noticed, it might be of some value even without a genie. So I kept it". He paced some more, until stopping for a dramatic effect: "And then she sneaked in and stole it!!!" -- he shrieked, so loudly Stealth clutched his ears once again. "How durst she?!!"

"But isn't she named Daring?"

Ahuizotl paused, blinked, and then:

"SHUT UP!!! Your puns aren't STEALTHY at ALL!!!"

Stealth recovered from the shock and slid his hoof over his mane to get it back to the shape it'd been in, before Ahuizotl's bellow had styled it with a gust of wind.

"If... -- continued Ahuizotl, after some time had passed. -- If she stole it for a genie... well, she's got nothing. I had rubbed it, until there almost was a HOLE -- and NO GENIE WHATSOEVER!" He took a breath to calm down: "But someone decided, apparently, to amuse her... and now she believes there IS a genie inside!" Anger overwhelmed him. He shook before regaining control. "So be careful out there". He approached the henchpony: "I can only hope you'll live it up to your name... Stealth".

Author's Note:

Well, it was just an ordinary day about 6000 words ago :applejackunsure:... And now -- an adventure has called out! The heroes risk their treasure!

A magnificent tale has been discovered!.. A tale of an adventure!
What is it that awaits our heroes? What new threats are prepared for them by Ahuizotl?

Don't hesitate to find out in the next chapter! Stay tuned for it, for it is to come! Determination to deliver it shan't let me stale!