• Published 11th May 2019
  • 328 Views, 12 Comments

Daring Do and the magic lamp - Andy Ray



[Unabandoned work] Daring Do meets a genie. An actual genie. Her soon-to-be book has just gotten a lot more interesting... Will she curse herself multiple times for ever discovering that lamp?

  • ...
 12
 328

Chapter 9. Questions asked, decisions made

Just a moment! What happened to Ahuizotl?

He was left in the forest, where Stealth Pun and Daring Do had collided. When he had heard some noise, he, naturally, had decided to check, who'd been there. But he'd found no one: Daring and Stealth had disappeared, courtesy of the genie. With no luck there Ahuizotl proceeded to chase his venal henchpony further...

That was when his other henchcreatures drew his attention. They had discovered Daring Do had attempted an escape and had been trying to catch her since then... So far no luck. Naturally Ahuizotl demanded of them to tell him, what was going on...

Someone finally received enough courage to speak up. And then had to return the borrowed courage back: Ahuizotl was about to explode, obliterating everything in near vicinity!

What a strike! Not only had his henchpony a plan of his own!.. But Daring Do had escaped as well!!.. The lamp had been so close!.. And then it had slipped from Ahuizotl's clutches!.. He'd had a brilliant plan of capturing Daring Do and obtaining the artefact!.. But she had tricked him into revealing the lamp's secret, which had cost him his henchpony's trust, and slipped away with no way to get close to the lamp again!!!..

If Ahuizotl had been but a kid, he would have wept in powerless anger. What a nice plan it had been! But Daring had been prepared for him, had she not? Indeed, thought Ahuizotl, Stealth Pun had told her about his intentions to steal the lamp... But who would have thought she would have been smarter and made a fake lamp, and not just watched the original better?!..

He should have gotten to it, Ahuizotl thought, had it not been for his own paranoia. Instead of letting Stealth go and watch for Daring he should have kept him nearby, disregarding his concerns! Yes, she might have lied! So? Even if she had attempted an escape, which she had... But, then again, reasoned Ahuizotl with himself, she could have lied to Stealth, and Stealth could -- to him... Now he, Ahuizotl, was left with nothing... and Stealth Pun would probably be too.

"That pony must be ELIMINATED!!!" -- decided Ahuizotl, though whom he meant specifically was unclear... perhaps, he meant both.

But how could he achieve that? Whoever had the lamp now could wish obstacles in front of Ahuizotl right out of nowhere! And Ahuizotl knew, that after his latest scheme it was bound to happen: neither Daring, nor Stealth Pun were too dense not to use the power of the lamp against him!

So? How should he defeat his enemies?..

That was the thought plaguing Ahuizotl's mind. He couldn't succeed only on his own... No...

Seemingly devastated, Ahuizotl headed into his gloomy lair. He went into his private chamber and decided to have some rest in it for the upcoming night...

Only... that was what seemed to Ahuizotl's henchcreatures, who were too terrified even to think of disturbing him!

What Ahuizotl was doing that night was way more useful, than sleeping after crying into his pillow...


It was hard to imagine, what feelings overcame Daring Do.

Naturally! In her wait for Stealth Pun to come out, to take the lunch-box and to get out of her house she had become tired of waiting and decided finally to search for him. However he had been nowhere to be found! Yes, at first Daring had been relieved... but the thought, that she'd left him all alone without supervision... Her blood had turned cold, and her hooves had almost given way under her!

Dying internally of dread, she had rushed to her bedroom... She had not wanted to find out... No!..

But now she had...

When she had felt no box attached to her bed's underside, she had checked everywhere she could! She'd become so frantic she'd almost thrown a tantrum not unlike one she had thrown, when she'd gotten trapped in the underground temple!

She'd been zipping across her house like a crazed bee! Trying to get away from another angry bee, no less! Her brain had been blocked by the discovery: the lamp had disappeared!!!

She had stopped finally. At some point she'd had to! She'd stopped and was standing... no, sitting on her rump on the floor. Her gaze was aloof... It appeared, she was not OK... If anyone could have seen her, they could've told... She seemed to be suffering...


It was, again, hard to imagine, what thoughts were going through her head. Perhaps, they were like this: "I've lost the lamp, and now the end of the world is at hoof..." Or, perhaps, like this: "Holiest princess of the sun and what accompanies it, I'm gonna KILL that stallion!!!" Or, maybe: "Gee!!! What in the name of firecrackers??!! How can you have??!.." But that's to be said with no degree of certainty.

Eventually she calmed down enough to think clearly. "In all honesty, -- she thought, -- even though the lamp has disappeared, I should not worry... Maybe... Maybe, it's Gee, who's decided to screw with me!"

That thought was puzzling, to say the least. Indeed: why?? Granted, Gee was misbehaving, but why'd he?.. If he was responsible for the lamp's disappearance... then Daring had certainly a number of questions to ask of him!..

Though, maybe, it was not his fault, thought she... Maybe, Stealth... Hang on, could that be Stealth? -- she queried herself. Earlier she had been unsure, but by now she'd become pretty confident the genie would have protected the lamp regardless of the stallion's intentions...

"Oh, Gee... -- Daring sighed. -- What is going on?"

She decided not to mope around and, having calmed down enough not to zip across her house again, stood back up onto all fours, resolution sparkling in her eyes!

She had to go, but where to? In which direction?


She almost wished Gee had popped up in the room, but, no matter her pleas, the naughty being would not as much as give a sign he heard her! What was the matter with him, anyway?!


To sum it up, Stealth Pun had had a fine job before he'd found out about the lamp. Now he'd gone and tried to trick his boss; failed at that; yet somehow he'd found his way to the box containing the lamp and left off with it.

Having lost his boss' trust and probably with Daring Do pursuing him -- but he had been leaving with the lamp! Which he had had no idea, how to use: the genie had been supposed to guard it and not to allow anyone besides his mistress as much as to touch it! In all honesty, a touch should be enough: it signified entering an agreement of sorts, according to which the genie was to serve whoever touched the lamp... But that was out of question...

And now he had nowhere to hide from Daring Do... and from his boss... And the lamp... couldn't help him, till Daring allowed so...

Well?.. Where had Stealth to go to? What should he do?

The forest, it seemed, provided no more shelter: his boss would turn every stone, but find his rebellious henchpony! And Daring would, probably, too... but for a different reason. Nevertheless it was, at most, unwise to be anywhere near them at that time.

Having decided that, Stealth directed his hooves... in whatever direction said hooves cared to carry him, in all honesty. Wherever it were, it was fine by him.

His heart was uneasy. His mind was plagued: how was he to approach the genie? It didn't appear, as if he'd let him just... rub the lamp. However, if his mistress told him to... Huh, but that very mistress might well order the genie to execute the impudent thief -- thought Stealth with a shudder. So how then?..

The forest was left behind. At a relatively close distance from it stood the city of Vanhoover.

Stealth looked at the city from afar. He recalled that day he'd held the lamp for the first time... That day, when he'd snatched Daring Do's saddlebag... yet not knowing just what it had concealed...

And there he had it. He could go anywhere. The lamp was his... and it contained an actual genie! If only he had known that!.. He could have stolen the lamp -- and become the genie's original master!.. Or, maybe, not. A frown crossed his face, when he remembered his fiasco: all of a sudden he'd blurted everything Daring Do had had to know!

And the beans!.. Oh, if only he had known the lamp was magic!.. But, again: could he have done anything? Had Daring Do not wished for him to -- and Stealth couldn't contain a cringe -- spill the beans? She had! No denying, that she had! She had been in control all that time!

Well, maybe, now he could... take this opportunity?

...No. That was just a fantasy, was it not? Even now, with the lamp at his disposal Stealth couldn't do anything about it. Daring had been prepared well...

Was there any point in his attempt? At all, was it?..

"Well, -- broke Gee the silence, -- obviously this doesn't look very good... Still..."

Stealth wanted to shriek, but couldn't: panic had expropriated his voice thanks to whatever legal pitfall Stealth had had the misfortune to fall victim to.

It realised soon, however, that there had been a misunderstanding, and returned his voice to him, though little forfeit had been paid.

"Oh my goodness!.. -- croaked Stealth. -- W-w-who's that?!.."

"Why, it is me, Gee the genie!" -- answered the being, seemingly pleased to introduce himself. He did not materialise, though, staying concealed.

Stealth had hard time collecting his bearings, so he didn't answer that immediately. "Gee?.. From the lamp?.."

"The very one!" By the sound of his voice the genie was smiling.

"How can you be?.. What are you doing here?? Where are you, anyway?"

"What? -- asked Gee sarcastically. -- Did you expect me to stay wherever you'd left me? You shan't touch it, y'hear?"

Stealth lowered his head. The genie was adamant. But who would have expected him actually to follow??

"Why won't you leave me?" -- Stealth grumbled with a cross look.

The genie shrugged, though no one could see that:

"Why should I leave you of all ponies? You are an interesting fellow!"

Stealth was unsure, how to respond to that. Had Gee just complimented him?..

"You never rest, -- was Gee going on, -- never sit in one place... You are bossed into that, but, honestly, -- who cares?! You, my dear... are very daring! Even more so, than Daring herself!"

And if it was not a "rim-shot" that sounded, following his words! Stealth decided to ignore that, though hardly containing a snort.

"And, besides, -- continued Gee, -- I am bound to follow you everywhere!" Well, thought Stealth to himself, that sounded creepy... "My mistress' wish is to protect this... -- Gee contained a curse. -- ...vessel!.. Be it damned!.. From her foe! And you!.. You are on his side, are you not, huh?"

Stealth almost flinched, yet didn't and just lowered his head again, sighing.

His boss...

Yeah. His boss had known he had been up to something! His boss had paid him close attention! But who could have guessed... that he, Stealth, would have successfully run into Daring? And after that would have been transported straight to her house?! Just the way he'd wanted! Maybe, if it had not been for that...

Would things have been easier with my boss? -- thought Stealth to himself. As it was then, his attempt at snatching the lamp... had been a success. Yeah! But... regardless, his boss had already been suspicious of him... So no, no shelter on that side. No...

The thoughts, which had been plaguing Stealth's mind earlier, returned. If he could not run to his boss to seek support, where was he to run to? Who could provide for him?.. Not to mention, Daring Do... Oh, she would give chase, that was for sure! He had entered her house... inadvertently, not on purpose... though with such a purpose in his mind... but still. He had stayed there. Slept one night... Hadn't even attempted to have a go for it! Even though she had every right to be wary of him!

No, it was not, as if... Nay, thought Stealth, was he ashamed? Ha!

And yet... Though he did not feel any remorse about his actions... he feared to imagine, what would have happened, if Daring Do had been to track him down... He shuddered. "Gee!.. I want you... to exterminate this skunk!" No, she would not probably have said something like that... But Stealth could only imagine... Feeling betrayed, what lengths would she have gone?

Stealth felt pity. Not for himself. But for Daring. The poor mare...

At that Stealth couldn't but recall one event he felt especially embarrassed about...

Yeah... That... Just recalling that made him want to disappear!

Through all the subspace that separated them the genie noticed Stealth's face -- it was just about to redden -- from within the lamp and wondered:

"So... What will it be? Are you a threat or... are you on her side?"

Stealth gave a start, as he heard the being. Upon the question he just lowered his head, wishing the genie would stop (and understanding the wish would not be granted only made Stealth more bitter). The memories of that time... The time he had hugged Daring Do...

"She is not my friend, -- he grumbled almost under his breath, eyes still downcast. -- She is my enemy".

He wanted to say more after that, but Gee interjected:

"So, then?? No lamp for you!.. Although... say..." A pause followed, Gee adjusting himself invisibly, then: "What is up with your expression, huh?"

Stealth almost tumbled, seeing Gee's mostly transparent face showing mere inches away from his. One could even say it was not there, just a flicker of light that would be gone in a couple of blinks.

"Is this a face one displays upon thinking of his enemy?" -- queried Gee skeptically.

Stealth's expression darkened. "Do I really have to tell you, -- he almost hissed, -- to stay inside and not. To come. Out?!"

"Oh, but I am not concealed any more!.. -- Gee smiled. -- My service is started, and, till I retire..." He paused, but only shortly. "Well, till then -- I can do anything!"

"You had one simple task! -- started Stealth to scold the being. -- To be quiet!.. What is so unclear?.." He said in the end, emphasising every word.

The genie only humphed.

Then both were silent for a while, until Stealth sighed and said:

"Tell me this, genie... What shall I do with you now?" He looked at Gee hopefully. Then at the lamp he was carrying, gesturing at it. "Tell me: how can this... trinket!.. help me... in my predicament?" The stare rested on Gee, demanding an answer.

Gee's face shifted, as he contemplated... "Well..."

The answer, however, was... rather concise:

"That's simple: in no way!"

Stealth, at a loss, coughed. What??..

"H-how?.. -- he stammered. -- W-why?.."

"This 'trinket', as you say, is designed... -- Gee winced, -- ...to control me. I am a genie. That means, I grant wishes to my master... And my master is a mistress... And she wished... actually, no disclosing!" -- he shouted. "But she knew she had enemies... And so she took... precautions... as you can see".

His tone then became very firm:

"You are disallowed to take control! Do whatever you may! You are prohibited! The lamp will stay that way!.. And..."

"All has been in vain", -- mumbled Stealth numbly.

"Your pardon?.. What's been in vain?"

Stealth looked at Gee. The look was... full of misery... All high expectations... were gone. There was nothing he could do...

"Take it... and go, wherever you care", -- with that said Stealth held, and then dropped the box that contained the lamp, on the grass. It landed with a muffled thud. Upon that Stealth turned away from the genie's face and walked, sounding not a word.

"Wait, wuh?.. Huh?? Where are you going to??! Stealth!!.."

The genie looked disoriented. He was about to follow the pony, but didn't, looking at the box with the lamp, unsure about what to do with it; then turned in Stealth's direction, about to follow him, yet hesitating...

"Well, -- he said eventually after some time, -- that's new".

Materialising fully at last, Gee floated up and headed to catch up with Stealth disappearing in the distance:

"Stealth! Wait!.. I know, how to bypass it!.."


Holding her breath, Daring was watching, as Ahuizotl was trying carefully to get inside her house by going through the window...


Wait! Just a moment! Ahuizotl?? What was he doing there???


Perhaps, an explanation is due...


Daring had spotted Ahuizotl, as he had been approaching her house. She had been just about to leave to search for Stealth Pun, who had gone and!.. stolen her lamp!.. But Ahuizotl had appeared, and so she'd frozen in place, not believing her own eyes. Ahuizotl?? There??? Right in front of her house??!.. Alright, so he might know where she lived, since he'd kidnapped her just yesterday, just as she'd been about to enter her abode... Still: why had he come???

The beast had been carrying some round, flat object that appeared to have been... a compass? Ahuizotl had been following its lead, looking downwards at the object. Daring, stiff and frozen, had slumped on the floor right where she'd stood, paralysed.

...And, right when she had, Ahuizotl had raised his head and seen her house. Looking surprised, he'd stopped dead.

"Huh!" -- he'd uttered.

Cautiously he'd started approaching the house, muttering something under his breath on his way. Daring couldn't have heard what. She'd found some strength to pull herself off the floor. Then she'd found some place to watch Ahuizotl from. He, meanwhile, had been trying to find ways to enter her house without raising much noise. He'd been almost succeeding: Daring had had to strain to pick any sounds.

Finally Ahuizotl had found himself in front of a window. From there he'd tried to open it -- just as silently. Again, he'd mostly succeeded.

While he'd been at it, Daring had asked herself a load of questions. "So, what has he come here for? What is he going to do? Why so stealthy all of a sudden?.. Darn, Stealth! I must find him! And then catch up with him!.. But... Ahuizotl, damn you!.."

Questions and quick plans... Daring had come up with nothing. Except for ambushing Ahuizotl. But that she'd have had to do... Yeah... "Stealthily"... Heaven fall down and bury him!..

By then Ahuizotl had opened the window and was in the process of getting inside, trying not to make a sound. And, as told, Daring was watching that. There. Everyone up to date now? Good!..

So, watching her nemesis, Daring was trying to think of something to prevent whatever it was Ahuizotl had planned, from happening.

"Though I must admit, -- she thought to herself, -- that this is a very good scene to include... Huh, yeah! Standing there, foretelling no external help (and hoping some help came!), wishing my enemy passed over without noticing me!.. They are gonna love it!"

Yeah, but the problem was: she should not approach her desk and take her quill. Would that not attract the stealthy Ahuizotl?

Speaking of whom. He had infiltrated.

"Oh my!.."

There was no more time to lose -- but what to do?.. What to do?!..

"If only this could be a choose-your-own-adventure story!.. Then!.. I'd choose to..."

Daring didn't get to finish that thought: Ahuizotl, carefully, was passing right by her, not yet seeing her. His hope appeared to be, that he'd not be noticed... Well, that was interesting. His presence was most mysterious...

Ah, but time (and time again) would pass, before Daring Do's readers could read all that was happening and shake from excitement! For then, though? Daring was almost dying, so open and vulnerable she felt! She couldn't help herself. She shut her eyes, afraid to think, hoping the villain shouldn't spot her, if she didn't think about him. Her chest was gripped, and she wanted to inhale.


A crashing sound, and then sounds of cursing brought her back from Eye-Shut Land. Yeah, "Eye-Shut Land". The land of shut eyes. You know, the land on the side of the globe opposite to Light-Shed Land.

Hee-hee!.. Ah... In any case...

Daring did not... dare... to open her eyes and to look, what had happened. At any rate she was glad, that whatever had happened had seemingly distracted Ahuizotl, so he was occupied with spilling and spewing curses about... Huh???

Gingerly she allowed herself to peek through her eyelid (but just one eyelid!) to see what was going on.

And thus was the sight she beheld. Ahuizotl was hopping on one leg, while holding on to the other, in pain. On the floor lay the lunch-box Daring Do had prepared for Stealth Pun, over which the villain had seemingly tripped. Along with the lunch-box on the floor also lay: books, both stacked and unstacked, paper sheet towers, spare inkwells, bottle-sprayers for indoor plants, various pairs of slippers, a not triggered mousetrap, a pile of ribbons, fezzes, bows and bow-ties; a lone crossbow, a written permission to shoot with said crossbow, a lone cracked photo frame and various other things.

"Gee, -- Daring thought to herself, -- I should clean more often..."

"Aargh!.. Cursed be whoever's put these... things!.. Ouch!.." -- Ahuizotl whimpered angrily.

"Oops. Sorry, -- Daring smiled apologetically. -- I promise to..."

Silence fell. Ahuizotl stopped whimpering with his leg still being held, standing on his other, and gaped at Daring in surprise.

Daring was frozen. For a brief moment all thoughts had vanished from her head. She was gaping at Ahuizotl too -- but in fear.

Neither was moving. Ahuizotl's eyes darted, panicked. So did Daring's.

Ahuizotl stood on all twos, placing his foot down slowly: just a moment longer, and he'd have fallen. That movement allowed him to collect himself.

"Ha! Daring Do! We meet again!" He sneered. "What an unpleasant surprise!"

Daring, meanwhile, felt an inexplicable urge to find a frying pan -- just to reclaim her lost confidence.

"Uh... Wh... who invited you... huh?" -- she managed.

Ahuizotl only snorted and answered nothing. Then he remembered to return his attention to that compass thingy, whose lead he'd followed, and was about to proceed impatiently following it, but...

"Hey! Going somewhere?" -- demanded Daring from the uninvited guest, fear leaving her gradually.

Ahuizotl only waved her, annoyed, and continued undeterred.

Huh.

"Alright! What is up with you?! Tell me and get outta here!" -- decided Daring to be bolder, all fear evaporating.

But Ahuizotl was marching in circles with a frown busily, not bothering with giving her a decent answer.

"Ahuizotl!"


That continued for some time, until the beast, getting tired of endless circle-walking, livened up upon seeing a change. "Finally!" -- he grumbled and followed his device's lead...

"Nope". Daring stood in his way, blocking it, and shook her head.

Ahuizotl was about to push her aside... but Daring resisted.

"What?! -- he shrieked. -- Get! Away!"

"Tell me first, what are you doing here, coming in uninvited! And what is... this?!" With that she went quickly for the mysterious object Ahuizotl was using -- and snatched it away!

"Give it back!!!" -- the villain roared.

Daring fled.

Ahuizotl, naturally, gave chase! But Daring was decisive! And, although getting tired, the more they were playing cat-and-mouse, she was set to uncover the truth and to get rid of Ahuizotl -- once and for all! And to relocate her living place, of course: she didn't want uninvited guests popping in any more, than anyone.

He would not, however, answer her frantic demands, no matter, how elusive she was. And her determination was... well... wearing thin: dealing with Ahuizotl wasn't a part of her plan to find Stealth Pun. At all! The more they zipped around like maniacs, the more she became more desperate. How could she just... leave Ahuizotl in her house in favour of finding Stealth Pun?! But Ahuizotl's presence there was interfering with her plans!..

Eventually, once she had a moment, she gave the device she was holding a look in hopes it would be more co-operative, than its former owner. And the look over revealed, that it had indeed a needle, like a compass, but... Huh???

What else was there almost made her drop the object. On the lid's inside was the image of none other, than...

"S... Stealth Pun???"

Yes, that's right, on the inside was a faint, translucent image showing Stealth Pun! Daring's breath quickened. A compass-like device -- with a pointing needle! -- and a clearly not-plastered image of someone she sought!..

"Dugh!.. Does it??.. lead to??.."

Perhaps, she was lucky Ahuizotl had stumbled upon her. Or! Was it he'd tracked the pony down??! No!..

"No!.." -- she whispered, acknowledging her pounding heart with her hoof.

"Aha! -- Ahuizotl was there in a moment. -- Hold it right THERE!!! Give it to me!!!"

And Daring could agree. If Ahuizotl was pursuing the same pony she was, it would benefit the both of them, if she returned the device to its owner, let him follow the target, and meanwhile followed his inadvertent lead! But... what, if... not?..

In all honesty, it was hard to decide. But Daring didn't think in-depth, and so her decision came up quickly:

"You'll have to catch me first!"

And with that she dashed madly for the nearest exit, for which, at that moment, even a chimney could pass, more so -- a window.

"HA-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-ALT!!!"


For the last few minutes Gee had been trying to lift Stealth Pun's broken spirit. Unsuccessfully so far.

"I'm telling you! Do I look like a liar to you?"

Stealth didn't answer. What the genie had explained was... tempting...

"I..." He shook his head. "Genie! What you're saying sounds improbable. It doesn't look like you! A genie is supposed to obey his master... mistress! How can you tell me she won't mind?"

"But I've explained!.. -- the genie, bearing a very tired look, pleaded. -- You don't understand it, is that so?" Then he attempted one more time: "What is it you've missed? Any particular part of the lesson?.."

"I've got it, -- interrupted Stealth, -- that you said you knew better what she wanted! But she's your mistress! You can't do whatever you feel like doing!"

Gee threw his head back:

"Ah! But I! Am! Compliant! -- he enunciated. -- I shan't do 'whatever I feel like doing', that's my wish!" He paused to breathe. "More, than anything, I'd like to be free!.. But the lamp!.. Gosh darn it!"

He held the box with the lamp and prepared to launch it with a kick... but the kick failed, as his smoky appendage phased right through the box for some reason, and Gee somersaulted, landing on his face... while still hovering mid-air.

Stealth shook of a slight chuckle (even though he'd vowed not to chuckle once, after someone had told him his chuckling had been getting annoying) and covered his mouth.

"M-ph-m-m", -- mumbled Gee into the invisible platform he appeared to be lying on.

"What?"

Gee tore his face (literally) off the platform and grumbled:

"Found something funny?" Geez, the acidity...

Stealth collected himself, coughing:

"Right, so, what you are saying is..."

"What I'm saying... -- Gee replied with annoyance, lifting himself. -- What I'm saying, is, I am a genie! That's enough! What do genies do, what do you think?"

Stealth humphed: he didn't like the tone.

"That's right! Genies fulfil wishes! If I don't, I am no genie!"

"So how do you 'do what's best for her'?" -- enquired Stealth in befuddlement.

The genie ceased his every moving temporarily, looking at Stealth, and smiled knowingly:

"How-w-w?.. My child... -- he answered mysteriously, -- I know what's best for her".

Stealth stared. "How?.."

"How indeed... -- Gee hummed thoughtfully. -- A pony's mind is a mystery, and so are the ways it works -- much more so a genie's mind".

"No, -- Stealth shook his head. -- How... I mean, why do you know what you can't know?"

The genie nodded, still smiling:

"That's... because she told me what she wished for".

Stealth face-hoofed. "Of course she did! -- he shouted. -- But it was still a wish! You don't twist wishes! A genie doesn't!.. What kind of a genie is that?!.."

"Aye, indeed, -- the genie nodded. -- I do certainly not twist wishes. Perish the thought!" He gasped in exaggeration. "But... -- he resumed in a normal, calm voice, sounding slyly, his eyes lidding, -- I am not literal-minded".

"Thank goodness", -- mumbled Stealth under his breath.

"Huh?" -- the genie's eyebrow resembled a cat that decided to stretch.

"Nope. Nothing, -- said Stealth. -- Go on".

The eyebrow yawned, its cat muzzle open wide, then, done stretching, sat and started to lick itself.

"Being not literal-minded, -- resumed Gee, -- I understand the inner desires... I know, that Daring... Ah, but..." He stopped himself before long and fell silent.

The cat eyebrow, meanwhile, finished its hygiene routine and decided to play with the genie's eyeball it was perched atop. It tapped the ball carefully, and it rolled. When the pupil was staring at the eyebrow, the eye winked. The feline arched its back, hissed and fled, its tail visually bigger because of the hair standing on its end. One hand tap, and the eye rolled back to normal, adjusting.

Stealth, intrigued (not by the shenanigans, but by the genie's last words), approached him a couple of steps. "Yes? Daring... What about her?"

The genie, seemingly willing to reveal that information, still didn't. His mouth was open, but no sounds left.

Finally he spoke:

"Well... What do you think? What Daring desires the most?" -- and smiled slyly.

Stealth contemplated, tapping his chin. Noticing himself doing that, he scolded himself and stopped. He'd also received reprimands about his uncontrollable chin-tapping. It'd been told to him, it'd annoyed no less, than his chuckling.

"Uh-m-m, well... I don't know. What is it she desires?"

The genie kept his smiling, but answered nothing.

In the silence a lone (and particularly loud) cricket could be heard. The genie shifted his gaze and coughed: "Ahem!" The chirping stopped. Quiet, high-pitched muttering could be heard.

"Well, that doesn't stop the awkwardness... -- uttered Stealth Pun after a short while. -- So?.. Might I know?.."

The genie confirmed he was not in fact frozen in place, lowered his gaze and said:

"Oi, Stealth Pun, Stealth Pun... She is a writer, right?"

"R... ri-i-ight", -- Stealth didn't even raise a bemused eyebrow at that.

"Good. And writers write books, correct?"

Stealth nodded.

"Great! So, following that simple logic... what is her desire?" The genie lay on the air, arms supporting his head, as he anticipated the answer eagerly with a childish smile.

Stealth Pun snorted, patience evaporating. "Gee. What is your problem? -- he asked. -- Why can't you just tell me?"

"Dude, -- the being dropped the goofiness. -- My mistress trusts me. Do you expect me to disclose sensitive information??"

The pony's eyes narrowed:

"Then why are you wasting my time, Gee? You told me I could use..." Silence. "...the useless trinket you call a lamp!.. What's the problem?!" -- he shouted angrily.

Gee folded his arms.

"I didn't lie, -- was his answer. -- You can access the lamp's power, even if my mistress told me not to allow anyone near it. For, as I've said, I am not literal-minded. I do know her secret desire, and despite what sounds like a direct order I still obey the indirect intent. So..." After that explanation he unfolded his arms. "It is up to you, my pony, -- he leant toward the stallion, -- to exploit Daring's decision to exp..."

The genie caught himself letting in on too much and shut up abruptly, but Stealth noticed that and started thinking.

What was it Daring Do had decided? When had she? Could he, Stealth, recall?.. Or had it been before he'd done something?.. Or had it been his boss? Hum...

Stealth thought back to the genie's words. What were they?.. "Literal-minded", "indirect intent"... "Secret inner desire"... of a writer. She writes books, thought Stealth. What can her desire be?.. To sell copies, nay?.. Hum, or, maybe...

"A writer's wish... -- thought Stealth. -- What does every writer desire?.."

"Have you guessed it yet?"

"Huh? Huh, never written a book in my life, -- admitted Stealth.

"Too bad, -- shrugged Gee. -- Daring has".

"Well, maybe, you ask her?" -- Stealth shot irritably.

"I don't know... -- replied the genie cheekily. -- Why should I even? I know the answer already! How about you?"

Stealth decided not to bother answering, but that last quip... sounded...

"'How' what about me?"

The genie didn't answer, but his smile grew mysterious.

"Hum..." Stealth was thinking hard. Was the genie implying?..

"Maybe... -- thought Stealth and felt agitation of having an epiphany. -- Maybe-e-e..."

Yes!

"I know, what to do!" -- he exclaimed, turning to Gee.

"Do you now?" -- echoed Gee.

Stealth nodded firmly. "I don't need to touch it, Gee. No. Instead... I'll talk to Daring Do about writing... solve your conundrum -- and then I'll know, how I can, how you said it... 'exploit' her decision, right?"

"Okie-dokie, -- smiled Gee. -- Go on ahead and do it, why won't you?"

With elation Stealth Pun turned to brave the woods... and whatever verbal barrage that was coming from Daring... Ugh...

He stopped mid-step, his hoof raised.

Out of the woods he'd left behind was running none other, than... Daring Do!

"Go ahead and talk to her. She's ri-i-ight over there!" -- repeated Gee, pointing, well, over where Daring (!) was running.

Stealth was frozen. So soon?

He turned to the genie, but saw he was gone. He'd poofed out of existence, when Stealth hadn't been looking.

"The lamp!" Stealth scanned his surroundings. Where was the box? It had to be still there, Gee had tried to kick it, but failed (hysterically), it had got to have dropped, it had to lie still around there somewhere!

Stealth dropped onto the ground and began feeling around. "Where is it?!.."

A sudden and painfully familiar shriek made him flinch:

"In the name of the spirits!.. I COMMAND YOU!!! Stop!.. And give that object BACK to me!!!"

No!.. A-Ahuizotl???..


Stealth whimpered. A confrontation to behold was nigh... His heart sank, and his stomach was twisting.

"Gotta keep searching!" -- he thought.

Where, where was that magic trinket?!..


His heart was pounding, seemingly set to outclass stopwatches in the precision of time-measuring. So far it was managing to reach a one-tenth second precision, and it was hurting Stealth's chest.

His heart was ticking, and time was running low...

Could Stealth outpace his adversaries, before they made it to where he was crouched?


Author's Note:

Aye, I've taken my time. But here we are. I said I wouldn't abandon it :rainbowdetermined2:.

The pause between this and previous chapter was unintentional :applejackconfused:! But, if I keep pushing myself further, delays may increase...

So there is planned to be a wait. I can't promise something short :fluttershysad:... But this hiatus is specifically not indefinite! I'll give myself till the 22-nd of December of this year 2021. After that this hiatus is planned to be over!

I've got to recharge. Trying to be creative this whole year has been a struggle... And only about 6000 words as a result!

Stay tuned for new episodes chapters, when they come out! And till the end of hiatus!