• Published 2nd Apr 2019
  • 2,687 Views, 49 Comments

Flash Sentry Chronicles: Rainbow Rocks - Banshee531



Several weeks have passed since the Fall Formal and Canterlot High is back to normal, well...almost. But as the school prepares for a music festival, three strange girls appear with dark aspirations. Can our high school heroes save the day?

  • ...
5
 49
 2,687

Let's Have A Battle of the Bands

With her tour over and done with, Sunset decided to head to the cafeteria just as lunch was half way through. Spotting her friends on the far side of the room, she carefully walked over as to not get as many stares. Once there, she sat down before Applejack asked, "So, how was the tour?"

"I don't know," Sunset replied as she crossed her arms. "I mean, these girls, they were...there was something off about them."

Hearing this, Pinkie grabbed her hair and reshaped it to mimic a beard. "Like, off like this?" She then grabbed some carrots and lettuce and shoved them onto her hair to mimic a monster look. "Or off like this? Or...oh, oh! Like-"

"Maybe we should just let her tell us," Rainbow suggested, making Pinkie pout as the carrots fell out of her mouth.

"That's just it, I can't put my finger on it. They just acted sort of...strange around me." She leaned back slightly as she let out a small sigh, "you don't think...someone may have already talked to them. Told them about what I did." Another sigh followed this. "So much for making a good first impression." She placed her head into her arms on the table, while Fluttershy mistakenly made an, "Uh-huh."

The others turned to give her a look, making her grimace, "Oh, that's probably not it." Sunset looked back up, only to see nothing but frowns. This made her shrink back, a small whimper following.


As this was going on, the Dazzlings stood outside the cafeteria. Adagio looked inside with a huge smile at the crowd of people. "This is it girls, the moment we've been waiting for."

"Lunch?" Sonata asked with a naïve grin, making Adagio groan as she facepalmed.

"The chance to get our true Equestrian magic back!"

Sonata let out a "Ohhh...right." while Aria rolled her eyes.

Adagio looked back through the door windows. "Our voices are just strong enough to make them want something so badly, they'll fight to get it."

"So we're just gonna do what we always do?" Aria asked in a low bored tone. "Stir up some trouble and then feed off the negative energy? That's some plan Adagio."

"It won't be the same as the times before." The Dazzling leader pointed into the cafeteria, "There's Equestrian magic in there. Their negative energy will give us the power we need to get this entire world to do our bidding."

"But we can get lunch after though, right?" Adagio turned back to glare at Sonata, seeing she was looking at a poster while practically drooling. "It's Taco Tuesday!"

This was met with Adagio flicking her on the forehead. "Just follow my lead."

"Or my lead," Aria suggested, only for Adagio to grab her jacket with a snarl.

"My lead!" She growled, Aria backpedaling as Adagio let her go, motioning them to follow her. And as the yellowed haired girl walked inside, Sonata giggled into her hands while Aria pouted with crossed arms.


Back inside the cafeteria...

"I don't know. I just have a bad feeling about this." Sunset said as she tapped her chin in thought.

"Maybe you're just overthinking things Sunset." Applejack replied, "Ah mean, nothing wrong being new to school."

It was here that everyone heard the sounds of doors banging open. The group of friends turned to the sound, only to see the Dazzlings step into the room. Then, they did something no one was expecting.

They started to sing.

(The Dazzlings)
Ah, ah-ah, ah-ahh
Ah, ah-ah, ah-ahh
Ah, ah-ah, ah-ahh
Ah, ah-ah, ah-ahh

As their song started, the rest of the student body looked up from their lunch to stare the source of the music. And as their attention was now obtained, the real song began.

(Adagio)
We heard you want to get together
We heard you want to rock this school
We've thought of something that is better
Something that changes all the rules

The students couldn't help but be intrigued by what they suggested, the music they were hearing making them feel like they had to listen. Even the Royal Knights were listening, Iron not even caring when Sonata brushed her fingers through his hair.

(Adagio)
Why pretend we're all the same
When some of us shine brighter?

(Aria and Sonata)
Shine brighter

(Adagio)
Here's a chance to find your flame
Are you a loser or a fighter?

(The Dazzlings)
Me and you, you and me
Why don't we see who is better?
We don't have to be one and the same thing
Oh, what's so wrong with a little competition?
Are you afraid of failing the audition?

(Adagio)
You're a star and you should know it
Yeah, you rise above the rest
It doesn't matter who you hurt
If you're just proving you're the best

(The Dazzlings)
Ah, ahh-ahh-ahhh

Battle! You wanna win it
Let's have a battle, battle of the bands
Let's have a battle, we'll go all in it
Let's have a battle, battle, battle
Battle of the bands!

As the Dazzlings continued to sing, the students all turned to glare at those they previously saw as friends.

(The Dazzlings and students)
Battle!

"I can beat you!" A fashionista named Blueberry Cake told Cherry Crash.

(The Dazzlings and students)
Battle!

"Ha!" The rocker girl replied, "You wish!"

(The Dazzlings and students)
Battle!

"I so want this!" Trixie screamed.

(The Dazzlings and students)
Battle!

"Not if I get it first!" An ECO kid named Captain Planet yelled as he jumped up out of his seat. And as this happened, the Dazzlings regrouped into the center of the room as the now entranced students sung along.

(The Dazzlings and students)
Me and you, you and me
Why don't we see who is better?
We don't have to be one and the same thing
Oh, what's so wrong with a little competition?

Even the Royal Knights, the schools image of harmony and friendship during Sunset's reign of terror, turned to another group and glared.

(Students)
I'm going out and winning the audition

(The Dazzlings and students)
Battle! We wanna win it
Let's have a battle, battle of the bands
Let's have a battle, we'll go all in it
Let's have a battle, battle, battle
Battle of the bands!

Despite the Dazzlings finishing their song, the cafeteria was still filled with noise. This time, the source was the students all arguing over the winner of this new battle of the bands. Screaming and threats consumed the area, the Dazzlings all smiling at the sight.

However, one group of students weren't arguing. They were just very, very confused. "Ohhhh," Pinkie said as she turned to Sunset and the Rainbooms, "They're that kind of 'off'."

Sunset didn't respond, to focused on the Dazzlings as they watched the havoc they had created. She stared at how everyone in the cafeteria was now acting, making her think. "This is...how is this possible?" She turned to her friends, "Come on, we better get out of here for now."

One wade through the arguing crowd, the Rainbooms escaped the lunch room as Sunset commented, "I don't know how, but those three are definitely in possession of some kind of dark magic. How else could you explain what happened back there?"

Applejack nodded but placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry, y'all. We'll let Principal Celestia know all about this and those girls will be kicked to the curb in no time. Last thing she needs is another CHS event almost ruined by some power-crazed lunatic. Er...no offense."

Sunset let out a long sigh, "None taken."

And as they reached the office, Pinkie knocked on the door, opening it up to show both Celestia and Luna were inside. They quickly explained what had happened in the cafeteria and what Sunset was suspecting, but what Celestia said next wasn't what they were expecting.

"Dark magic?" She asked while looking through her blinds, "I find that very hard to believe. Those girls came into my office earlier and were absolutely delightful."

"Perhaps Sunset Shimmer is just eager to make someone else out to be a bad element so that her actions at the Fall Formal will become old news." Luna added as she rested on a chair.

Sunset rubbed the back of her neck as she tried to reply, "I could see why you might think that, but-"

"That's not what's happening!" Rainbow interrupted. "We saw all this go down in the cafeteria! Its real!"

Celestia just gave a robotic nod, "Yes, but isn't your band supposed to be part of the Musical Showcase?"

Rainbow raised an eyebrow at this, "Er...yes?"

"Then perhaps you're all just worried that the Dazzlings will steal your spotlight," Luna accused.

"The Dazzlings?"

"It's the name of their musical group," Celestia explained with a big grin. "That's why they came by my office earlier-to sign up for the showcase. Even sang a little song to Vice Principal Luna and I."

The six teens all shared a worried glance, all starting to realize what was happening as Applejack asked, "They did?"

"Yes," Celestia replied as both her and Luna's eyes flashed green. "And we think having a Battle of the Bands instead is a marvelous idea."

Sunset and the Rainbooms all shared worried glances, Sunset then giving them a glum frown, "I see...if that's what you think, then fine. Come on girls."

They turned to walk out of the office, only to hear Celestia call out after them. "Do yourselves a favor and don't hassle the Dazzlings. Don't want to make them think our school is filled with jealous, egocentric mad women."

They nodded and left the office, walking through the corridors with no real idea where they were going. And as they did, the atmosphere in the place was a complete one eighty to what it had been before lunch. Now, everyone was back in their own little groups, all shooting death glares at others. It was like a battlefield before the fight began, everyone against each other, all filled with anger and fury.

It was here that the six arrived at the school's front door and pushed their way through it. There, they saw the Wondercolt statue, the portal to Equestria. With nowhere better to go, they decided to hang around there, Pinkie jumping up on top of the statue while the others scattered around, Rainbow doing keep-me-ups with her soccerball.

There, Fluttershy broke the silence as she let a ladybug crawl onto her finger. "I can't believe they got to Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna too."

"They've gotten to everybody," Rainbow pointed out while trying to balance her ball on her head.

"Not everybody!" Pinkie yelped, making the rainbow headed girl drop her ball.

"Pinkie Pie's right," Applejack added while tipping her hat. "We were there when the Dazzlings were singin', and we weren't affected. It was like we were protected somehow."

Rainbow smirked as she bounced the ball onto her head again. "So let's take them down! It's not like we haven't tangled with dark magic before and totally whooped its sorry butt!" She knocked the ball up and caught it in hand, only to turn to Sunset, "Uh, no offense."

The bacon haired girl sighed for the billionth time that day. "None taken...again."

"But that was when Twilight ad Flash were here," Fluttershy pointed out as the ladybug flew away. "There may be some kind of magic inside us, but it only comes out when we play music. I sure don't know how to use it to...whoop anybody's butt."

Rarity sighed while working on her nails. "If only we could get a message to Flash and Twilight. Maybe they could tell us how to break the spell the Dazzlings have cast on our friends."

"Well, that's not gonna happen. The portal's closed." Rainbow tossed the ball at the statue, the sphere bouncing off where the interdimensional door should have been. "And I get the feeling they don't exactly have cell phones where they're from."

Saying this caused a spark of memory to flash within Sunset's brain, making her smile as she turned to the others. "Wait a minute! I may have an idea on how we can get in touch with Flash and Princess Twilight!"

"You can? How?"

"It's a long shot, but right now, it's all we've got. Follow me!" She ran back into the school, the Rainbooms following until they reached Sunset's locker. She opened it and looked down at a cardboard box, which she began rummaging through before pulling out a brown hardback book. "When I was Princess Celestia's student back in Equestria, she gave me this." She wiped her hand over it, brushing away the dust to reveal it had the same sun symbol Sunset wore on her top. Her cutie mark. "Even after I abandoned my studies, I held onto it." She held the book close to her heart. "Deep down, I guess I knew I was making a big mistake, and I wanted to still have a way to reach out to her." She opened the book and flipped through it, "Maybe it still works."

"That's a book, darling." Sunset looked up at Rarity, now seeing an expression of confusion, "What do you mean, 'maybe it still works'?"

Sunset smiled as she tapped the book's side, "It used to be that if I wrote something here, it would appear in the pages of a book back in Princess Celestia's library." The others all went wide eyed at this, "That means that if I can get a message to her, then she can get a message to Princess Twilight."

Everyone smiled as Rainbow pulled a pen out of Pinkie's hair and gave it to her, "So what are you waiting for? Get to writing!"

Sunset nodded and took the pen, only to sigh, "Been a long time since I've written these words." She put pen to paper and began to write, "Dear Princess Celestia..."

As she continued to write, the magic of the book carried the words across the dimensional barrier into the magical land of ponies. In that magical world, a book that mirrored the one Sunset held began to glow and vibrate. The pony in possession of it didn't notice, as he was carrying it and a whole stack of other books towards Equestria's newest landmark: The Castle of Friendship.


Inside the castle, we find the Mane Seven, Spike and Springer in the castle's throne room. Flash was sitting on his throne, softly playing his guitar after getting it back from Lightning. Thankfully, him 'borrowing' it had saved it from Tirek's destruction of the library. While this happened, Fluttershy and Applejack were pushing a crate of items around while Rarity was polishing her throne, Twilight was reading at the middle of the circle, and Pinkie was blowing a balloon up. Spike and Springer were both reading comics in their chairs, happy that Springer had stored some in the old training ground since most of theirs had been destroyed in the library's destruction as well. (Along with the journals/fanfictions Springer had written in)

It had only been a week since the defeat of Tirek and creation of Twilight's castle. In that time, they had been exploring the place and learning the layout while helping its new occupants move in. Flash had lost count of the number of times he had to go looking for Scootaloo after she got lost, happy that her new room was only a few doors down from his.

While exploring the castle, they discovered it had a library, a massive kitchen and even a room full of crystal ramps, which Scootaloo fell in love with. But Flash's favorite room had to be the training room. At first, he thought it was just a square room, but had been amazed when the place suddenly transformed into the weight lifting room he had been imagining it could be. Turns out, the room would lock onto the user's mental image and create solid illusions of whatever you wanted. He, Iron, Springer and Lightning had been having fun testing out its capabilities, happy the place appeared to be indestructible, so they didn't have to worry about damaging it.

And now that the move-in was almost completely finished, Flash had opted to simply relax and play a soft tune on his guitar. That is, till a voice called out, "Excuse me, princess." They all turned to see a slim delivery pony trot in, pulling a wagon of books. "Where do you want all these books from Princess Celestia?"

"The library," Twilight replied as she put her book dwn. "Third door on the left."

The pony nodded as was about to head in there, only for his ears to spike up and look up at the pile, "Uh...even this one that's glowin' and vibratin'?"

Twilight raised an eyebrow at this before using her magic to bring it over to her, the others beginning to crowd around her. "What is it, Twilight?" Fluttershy asked as Twilight opened the book and flipped through it.

Twilight's eyes went wide as she started to read, "It...it looks like a message to Princess Celestia from my friends at Canterlot High!"

"In the human world?" Flash asked, blinking.

"Humans?" Springer scratched the top of his head, "Aren't those the weird monkey things you said you turned into when you went through that magic mirror?"

"But how is that even possible?" Rarity asked next.

"I have no idea, but-" She looked up at them, her face teeming with worry. "It sounds like they need my help." With that, she walked out of the room and went to the castle's library. There, she found a book she was looking for and presented it to the others. "Sunset Shimmer says there's three girls suddenly causing trouble in that world. The way Sunset Shimmer described them, I think these new girls sound an awful lot like...the sirens."

Pinkie gasped upon hearing this, "NOT THE SIRENS!"

"You have no idea what a Siren is, do you?" Flash asked her, raising an eyebrow. Pinkie just giggled before nodding her head.

Twilight rolled her eyes at this before opening the book, flipping to a page showing the image of three seahorse-like creatures of differing colors. Each one had a gem like stone embedded in their chest. "The sirens were three beautiful but dangerous creatures who had the power to charm ponies with their music. But to maintain this power, they had to feed on the negativity and distrust of others. The more of this negative energy they consumed, the stronger their voices became and the farther they could spread their dark magic."

"I don't think I like this story very much," Fluttershy whimpered out.

"Why didn't the princesses or the Royal Knights stop them?" Springer asked Twilight next.

"This was long before either of their times," Twilight explained as she flipped the pages, "I think its before Tirek, Discord or Sombra. They're probably one of the oldest foes known to Equestria."

"That explains it," Flash added.

"If the sirens had their way, they would have divided and conquered all of Equestria. But a certain Star Swirl the Bearded wasn't having it. Rumor has it that he found a way to banish them to another world, one where he believed their magic power would be lost. That world must have been the one where my Canterlot High friends live."

"It would make sense since we couldn't use magic there last time." Flash continued, only for another question to come out of his mouth, "Say...why is it that great evils get locked away instead of actually being dealt with?" The others raised an eyebrow at this, "Don't say I'm not right. This keeps happening. Nightmare Moon, Discord, Sombra, the Omni Sphere, Tirek, and now these girls. I'm just saying, the ancient forces of good in Equestria had a nasty habit of shoving evil inside of a box, writing 'do not open' on it, and expecting that to be the end of it. I just wanna know why."

The others all just stared at him, Twilight giving him a deadpan glare, "You finished?"

Flash nodded and shrugged, "I'm good."

Applejack then turned back to Twilight. "But Starswirl must have sent them there ages ago. How come they're just surfacin' now?"

"I don't know," Twilight flipped the page back to the one showing the Sirens. "But if my hunch is right and it is the sirens who have come to Canterlot High, this spell they've cast is just the beginning." She shut the book and turned away from the table, "Mine and Flash's friends need us. We have to get back to them."

Rainbow took this moment to fly in front of Twilight. "I hate to burst your bubble Twilight, but the connection between their world and Equestria will still be totally cut off for a super long time. Didn't Princess Luna say its every thirty moons?"

"She's right. That's a long time from now Twilight." Flash admitted with a small sigh, "That's a burst of bubble like no other."

"Okay..." Pinkie suddenly hopped between the three. "First of all, if there was bubble-blowing going on, why wasn't I told about it?! And secondly, if the connection is totally cut off, how was Sunset Shimmer able to get a message to Twilight?"

She pointed to the alicorn in question, who gasped as a bulb went off in her head. Flash saw this and smirked, "Got an idea Twi?"

"Pinkie, you're a genius!" Twilight exclaimed as she gave the pink pony a hug.

"Yeah, I get that a lot." She then grabbed Rainbow and pulled her close, "Now, about those bubbles."

But before she could say anything else, Twilight left the room and with several machine parts floating behind her. And as she began to get to work, she told Spike to write to Princess Cadance and ask her to send the magic mirror to them. The dragon nodded and got to work writing while Twilight started putting a machine together.

"What the heck is she doing?" Springer asked while pointing at the alicorn.

Flash let out a long glum sigh. "If I know Twilight, its probably some high tech science mumbo jumbo that she's gonna try to explain to us by talking a mile a minute in a language only she understands."

A lot of work and several hours of complicated explanations later...

"And the interval between the two points is defined as the square root of the sum of the squares of the separation between the points along three spatial dimensions."

As she finished her lecture, she turned to her friends to see their reactions. Everypony just stared at her as they looked up at the machine she had built. When the mirror had arrived, she'd strapped it into whatever she had built, which was too complicated to describe.

And after a painfully awkward pause, Spike broke the silence. "Say what now?"

Springer then spoke up. "You lost me somewhere between Starswirl's third and eighteenth principal."

"Note to self..." Flash commented as he pulled out a notebook. "Ask Time Turner to build me a nerd translator."

Twilight glared at him, but before she could start pulling his ears, Pinkie spoke up. "Duh!" She moved over to the book. "She's gonna take the magic in here and put it in there." She then warped behind the mirror and peeked out from behind. "That'll make the portal open up so that whenever she wants to, she can go from here to there." She kept repeating those lines, making the group look like they were watching a tennis match until Applejack interrupted her.

"We get the idea!"

"I could probably do with another explanation," Flash said as he wanted to see Pinkie do that again, only for Twilight to put the book on the machine.

"Now to see if it actually works." She placed the book into a slot as the machine powered up and connected with its magic. Everypony watched as the book was consumed by a purple aura, which then shot out of the cover and into a pair of metal prongs. They 'oohed' as more parts of the machine started, reformatting the book's magic to a form that was compatible with the portal until the glass of the mirror began to spin and warp.

"Ahhhhh," Everypony whispered as Flash walked over to the mirror and touched it with his hoof. When it phased through the portal, he smiled. "I'd say it worked."

Twilight nodded as Applejack moved over to her. "Don't suppose we could join you this time around?"

Twilight shook her head. "Better not. It could make things pretty confusing if Canterlot High all of a sudden had two of all of you."

Everypony turned to one another, seeming to have a small mental conversation before turning back and nodding. Spike then stepped up. "But I still get to go, right? There isn't another one of me at Canterlot High, and you never know if you might need your trusty assistant."

"Mm-hmm," Twilight nodded, making Spike pump his arms while Springer went over to Flash.

"What about me? You didn't mention seeing another version of me in that world."

Flash gave him a glum frown, shaking his head. "I'm not sure that's a good idea buddy. Who knows what you'll turn into on the other side."

Twilight nodded in agreement. "And we've seen what bringing Equestrian Magic did. Who knows what effects your aura abilities might have in this world."

Springer sighed but nodded anyway. "Alright, I'll stay. But you be careful Flash."

Flash just waved his hoof, "Please, this is me we're talking about."

"EXACTLY!" Everypony replied in unison, making Flash pout.

"I appreciate your confidence in me."

"We won't be gone long," Twilight told the others as they pulled each other into a hug and gave the three their best wishes.

"Ready boys?" Spike cricked his neck and got into a joggers pose while Flash said goodbye to his wings before the two replied with a 'ready'. With that, the three leapt through the portal, all ready to return to the other world.


Back at Canterlot High, everyone waited patiently at the portal. As this happened, Rainbow let out another sigh, "I'm starting to think they're not coming."

But no sooner had she said that, the portal flashed before three figures shot out of the stone. The trio moaned as they looked up, Flash trying to flex his wings. That is, till he felt nothing. "I can't fly anymore. We're here."

"Flash/Twilight!" Their friends exclaimed as Flash tried to get up.

"We're back," Twilight said as a familiar yellow hand was held out to her. She looked up at Sunset and was about to give her hand, only to flinch as she stared at the girl. But as she saw Sunset give her a smile, Twilight gripped her hand. Sunset pulled Twilight up to her feet, Twilight taking a second to gain her balance on two legs while Flash jumped up with enough ease that you would mistake him from never being away from this human form. The Rainbooms then pulled them into a hug, all happily laughing before ending the embrace. There, Twilight did a slight gulp. "Its good to see you all again...but I'm afraid we've got some bad news about those new girls."

"Yeah...like end of the world bad. And I get the feeling that unlike our last threat," Flash shot a glance at Sunset. "This one could be a serious doozy."

The Rainbooms all didn't like the sound of that, all remembering how close Sunset had come to actually winning. But now that Flash and Twilight were there, things would turn out alright...hopefully.

Author's Note:

Well, now Flash and Twilight are back in the human world. Also, remember, Flash's look is different to that worlds version of him. If you're having trouble remembering it, go back and reread the first Equestria Girls story.