• Published 12th May 2020
  • 468 Views, 21 Comments

The War in Heaven - voroshilov



A failed space flight kickstarts a chain of events leading Twilight Sparkle and her friends to become embroiled in a war that will decide the fate of all of reality.

  • ...
6
 21
 468

XXI. The Citadel

“The Emperor never considered lives spent in the pursuit of a goal wasted. ‘A life is worth nothing, deeds last forever’.”

- Collected Sayings of Emperor Nicholas by Nadius Marius -

The Imperial advance had not halted since it began, though its cost in lives had been heavy. For miles lay the uncollected dead, personnel moving them as quickly as they could, though the immense number had completely overwhelmed even the efficiency of the Imperial system. The first waves to land had been given the order to push forwards, and to keep pushing, though both they and their commanders were long dead. All that remained of the first wave were the blue figures of the Wanderers, who had been joined by a thousand or so more of their kind, along with Qirin, Azin, Karavon and a handful of the Cult of the Deep Tomb Guard.

A multitude of command facilities had been established inside the Imperial held zone, with the largest being at the site of the initial Imperial entrance into the Aether, on the border between it and the Veiled Edge. Nicholas had gathered everyone who would stand a chance at fighting, from Queen Chrysalis to former Sentinel-General of the Black Guard Cecilia.

"Oh my, darling," Rarity had whispered, "just look at her outfit, and her hair! Oh, it's magnificent! Less a person, more a work of art."

Cecilia wore what was essentially a dress, covering a small and delicate figure - though closer inspection revealed her to be essentially purely made of lean muscle - for someone in charge of one of Nicholas' Guard forces, apparently made of black silk, with various silver patterns embroidered onto it, with puffed up shoulders and sleeves cut to look like feathers, which extended to the bottom of her wrists, with black elbow gloves covering the rest of her arms and hands. It extended to just below her knees, with two slits on either side of her hips to allow for more freedom of movement, as Rarity assumed the dress was far sturdier than it first appeared. Her legs were covered either by tights, likely designed to keep her warm, or leather boots that terminated slightly above where the dress did. Her snow white hair fell to just below her chin, with a thin, black strap crossing the peak of her skull, part of the blindfold that covered her whole face above her small, rounded nose.

She conversed with the Emperor, who had to kneel to reach her, though he did so without hesitation when he saw her. She held her sword, a longsword with a pearly white blade and crossguard made up of a horizontal bar about six inches long on either end, then a pair of L-shaped bars at right angles, creating a relative surround of the beige leather handle, the vertical parts of the L-shaped bars ending about eight inches from the pommel, which was clearly designed for battle rather than for show.

"Wait a minute," Rainbow thought aloud, "if she's wearing a blindfold, how does she see?"

Rarity paused a moment, perhaps everything she had seen and experienced since she left Equestria had gotten to her, because she hadn't even considered Cecilia's vision, or how she knew where she was going at all. She looked about as though she could see just fine, almost as though she could see slightly before something happened, though her eyes, or where her eyes should be, were covered.

"Maybe she uses another method?" Luna said, "hearing, or smell perhaps?"

Their conversation ended, Nicholas led Cecilia over to the group, who were arranged in a mismatched formation, doing a number of different things that could all be described as lazing around. "This," he said, "as you may know, is Cecilia, The First. I will have her known by no other title."

"I don't mean to be rude," Rarity spoke up, Cecilia doing the unnerving thing of looking at her just before she spoke, "but who exactly is she? As in, what does she do?"

Before Nicholas could answer, Cecilia did, her voice oddly soothing, "I was once the Emperor's personal bodyguard and leader of the Black Guard of Irenton - once the greatest and most stalwart of all the Emperor's hosts. Though the Black Guard are gone, I live on."

"How do you see?" Rainbow asked, without any of the politeness or tact Rarity had used, "also, why are you wearing a dress if you were the Emperor's bodyguard?"

"Using powers beyond your usage, psionic powers," was her reply, "though my eyes cannot be seen, their vision is absolute. Those behind this blindfold do nothing more than fill the sockets. As for the dress, it has strands of Vulcanite woven into it, on par with what you are wearing, but less cumbersome, less visible and nicer to look at."

Rarity, immediately entranced by Cecilia's clothing, dragged her over with her eyes, where she sat with Luna and Rarity and answered their various questions, getting to know them better. Nicholas, meanwhile, drifted off to Kyhron, who stood with his standard bearer, Neveron, a man over four metres tall, clad in scale mail under armour and black, spiked plate armour above, with a helmet bearing a smaller version of Kyhron's own crown, the standard in his hands well over double his height, bleeding black shadows into the surroundings.

"Where is Belial?" Nicholas asked, aimed more at Neveron, the more receptive of the pair.

"On his way, my Lord," Neveron replied, voice strangely normal, "he was a few parsecs from Cradle when we gave him your message, he will be here in a few minutes, I believe."

"Very good. Kyhron, we will begin planning for our final assault when Belial arrives, draw up a basic plan for us to build on. Any resources you believe you need, you may use."

Though Kyhron was facing away from him, it was clear the Emperor's son smiled. He had waited a long time for such a moment, already his mind was racing, forming tactics and strategies, picking out the perfect units to deploy to ensure total mastery of any situation.

Haisan and Ar'Aknos were sat with Penumbra and Chrysalis, drinking tea from small cups that had been found in a supply case. Penumbra had boiled the water from a ration pack with her magic, with Haisan managing to locate both a pot and supply of tea from another case. Haisan would, periodically, balance his cup on the tip of one of his many knives, keeping its pommel aloft on the edge of one finger. He would remain in the position for a few seconds, totally and innocently engrossed in the activity, before picking the cup off with his other hand and getting back to drinking.

"Emperor Nicholas had told me extensively about what you call magic," Ar'Aknos said, reminiscing in his deep, bass tone voice, "he was incredible at it, still is I assume, he was able to create these abilities in the midst of battle, allowing us to overcome any foe or situation, regardless of what it was. I never had any sort of connection to it, myself, which is a blessing and a curse, in a way."

Chrysalis took a sip of her tea, smiling as she watched the child-like Haisan balance his cup once again. "Nicholas taught me a lot about magic after he rescued me, about where it comes from and how it can be manipulated. He even taught me about my Shade, an ability I never even knew I'd had all along."

"His mastery of such things is without equal." Ar'Aknos chuckled. "A mastery I have no doubt will assist us in this battle."

"What about you, Haisan?" Penumbra asked, with Haisan losing balance of his cup, but catching it before a drop could spill, his knife landing balanced on his slipper, "any experience with magic?"

Haisan shook his head. "Not any I'd like to talk about, anyway. I think the only nice encounter with psionics was when Emperor Nicholas revived me."

"So," Penumbra said, seizing the opportunity to ask a question that had been bugging her, "you were dead before?"

Haisan laughed, apparently genuinely. "I think so," he said, in his innocent, high-pitched voice, "I shouldn't have ever gone back to Morvis. The first time around I was confronted with flesh-stripping acid pools and air that melted your lungs, perhaps it was an omen. I went in again looking to clear a rebel hideout, I got complacent, too careless in my thoughts I couldn't die that I took one hit. Emperor Nicholas had given me some of his power, enough to keep healing me but not enough to seal the wound fully, so, I lay there in a burnt out bunker, the air melting my flesh away. It took me a whole week to finally die." He laughed again, again, seemingly genuinely. "Then a pop and I see Emperor Nicholas again. I thought I was dreaming, like reliving my life as it comes to an end, but no, I get brought here not too long later."

Penumbra regretted asking.

The thump of something metallic and heavy striking the floor behind them drew everyone's eye. Through the Veiled Edge strode Belial, an abomination of science who seemed to only lived because Death despised him. He was nearly four metres tall, with only one real leg, the other a strangely primitive prosthesis. He was - or had been - a Zelian, though only had three arms rather than four, with only one of which being real - though so encased in armour it was difficult to accurately tell - the others being a regular, arm-sized appendage, and an appendage like two arms joined into one, with a gun the size of Rarity attached. His regular, arm-sized appendage was only like an arm in size, being little more than a node about six inches wide attached to his torso, with a long, navy blue cylinder attaching a navy blue octahedron of the same material. Red, braided cables about a centimetre in diameter crisscrossed the arm, wrapping around and into it or flowing off it to give the impression of tentacles. His entire torso from the ribs up had been replaced by a similar navy blue material to the arm, unnecessary angular pieces of material covered in cables or tubes, connected to the large pyramid of navy material attached to a backpack either made of glowing red cable or more navy material. The only thing natural left of his head was the skull, covered in navy material to hold it in place, keep it sturdy, plug the gaps and hold the mismatched, glowing red eyes, surrounding a larger one about three centimetres in radius in the middle of his face.

He was Belial, a being created as part of an experiment millennia ago into fusing a living organism with the Machine Plague, an ancient Dauxite Assembly tool to terraform planets into machine worlds for its synths to live comfortably on, easily adaptable into a weapon by virtue of its programming.

"Belial," Nicholas greeted him, "good, now we may begin. Kyhron, present your plan."

The group came together, though kept apart enough to leave space for the holographic projector Neveron placed in the centre, as well as staying away from Belial.

The projector made an image of an enormous, winding fortress, easily the size of a city, but with a layout apparently designed at random.

"This," Kyhron said, "is the Great Light's Citadel. In the central spire." He pointed to the largest tower, standing dead centre, supported by hundreds of other buildings all forming a pedestal for it and the immense garden outside of it. "Dwells the Great Light, itself. Our forces are still far from the Citadel's walls, so we will have to deploy by ship. We deploy near the gate." He pointed at the small opening in the perimeter wall, which was clearly bigger than it seemed. "The only way into or out of the Citadel. Anywhere else is too dangerous. We do not fully know the Light's capabilities, so the further away we deploy will likely be the better. Then, we force our way inside and up, fighting through the towers and bridges to here." He pointed at a bridge from one tower to another, over a bottomless abyss. "We cross the bridge to the second layer, from there we can access the Light's tower by crossing this bridge." He pointed at another bridge, this one far wider. "From there we push upwards and strike at the Light itself. Meanwhile, ground forces will advance with Monolith mobile firebaces, which they will use to break through the enemy's defences and assault the perimeter wall, buying us time. This is a do or die assault, so I took the liberty of requesting the ultimate support."

He turned, revealing three figures in red robes, each carrying a staff. The two to the left and right were identical, helmets tall and with a large, expressionless black visor marking their face. The one in the centre appeared like a wizened old man, though he stood completely upright, was taller than his fellows, bore a far bigger staff and had an aura of purple energy around his head, like a halo, at all times. His beard stretched to just below his shoulders, like thin, white wisps. He looked old and almost certainly was, but he definitely wasn't weak.

"My Lord," the old one called out, waving a hand, his voice alone betraying his immense wisdom, "it is good to see you in person once again."

Nicholas chuckled. "Grand Master, I had wondered when you'd show up."

The Grand Master approached. "You could never trust me to shy away from a great deed," he jested, laughing heartily as he did, "I have brought two Neophytes to assist in Lord Kyhron's plan, they more than suffice." Kyhron looked as though he was about to speak, but the Grand Master silenced him before he began. "The Immortals are elsewhere," he said, "these two are good fighters, trained by myself. The Immortals are not needed here, they are needed elsewhere on the front."

Kyhron growled. "Do you not understand the importance of this? The outcome of this war hinges on this operation, if we fail then all will have been for nothing."

The Grand Master waved him off with a hand, "I have no doubt we will succeed," he said, "with the resources we have and under your current plan. It has been foretold."

Cecilia had made her way over to the Grand Master, who stood a full metre taller than her. "Grand Master," she said, "it has been a long time. I would say I thought you were dead but we'd have both known that wasn't true."

The Grand Master chuckled. "Oh, Cecilia, how I remember our heady days, back with Shattered-Star in Perseus, how we turned the tide of many a battle. Now, we have been called upon to turn the tide of history, of reality."

"I know," she replied, "though, if anyone can do it, we can."

"Yes." He chuckled again. "I do suppose so. Though, it is a pity Shattered-Star is not here to be with us, this war would probably be over by now if he was."

"Our assault," Kyhron said, voice raised to indicate his dissatisfaction with being ignored, "will commence from the cruiser Victorious Jubilation, which will be arriving soon. We shall strike deep behind enemy lines, with only the cover of the Victorious Jubilation to protect us, exactly twelve hours from now. Gather up your weapons and armour and prepare yourselves."

Kyhron lifted his sword, Soulflayer, from its resting point on a stack of crates. "Take only the best."

"Cecilia," Nicholas called, "have Rarity and Luna equipped with armour and weaponry, I shall do the same for Penumbra. Their equipment must be excellent, we cannot afford to lose them."

Cecilia saluted, gathering up Rarity and Luna around a number of weapon and armour caches. Rarity's armoured vambraces, covered in scuff marks and only half attached, were cast aside in favour of pieces of silver armour, ornate but partially flexible and far tougher than anything else she had worn before. Luna was given a whole suit of plate armour, modelled to look similar enough to Nightmare Moon's armour, colour and all, but made larger and more covering to enhance protection. Inside the helmet, which contained an exactly sized and cushioned spot for her horn, was a transmitter, capable of both transmitting and receiving signals. As a secondary weapon to her talons and spells, she was handed a rapier, with a night blue blade and jet black handle, its blade serrated, with each serration lined with glowing blue plasma.

Nicholas carried a crate over to Penumbra, which was about the size of her lying down. Opening its lid revealed a suit similar to Luna's, though a royal purple and smaller, allowing for greater freedom of movement. Just as Luna's, her helmet contained a transmitter, along with thick lenses covering her eyes, allowing her to zoom in and out but also to receive tactical information on the go. Once the armour was fully secured, Nicholas handed her a longsword, an almost perfect replica of her first one, though with less dangerous connotations.

"The sword," he said, "will be able to kill most in one slice. Your magic will allow you to use it and your talons, never use it or your magic sparingly."

A shadow slowly floated overhead, the shadow of a cruiser, which Penumbra had no doubt was the Victorious Jubilation. Her heads-up-display identified it as such when she looked up at it, giving it a convenient red outline and giving her its name, affiliation, year of construction and place on her list of objectives. 'Board the Victorious Jubilation,' the message from her display said, with the group gathering below it, Nicholas ordering everyone to stand at least two metres apart.

"They will be teleporting you up," he said, "close your eyes now, then open them at the sound of my voice."

With an ethereal screech and a pop, he vanished, blinking himself up to the teleporter bay. Where, a few seconds later, with a purple and pink flash, Cecilia appeared, stepping forwards when Nicholas called to her.

Penumbra, already relatively used to the idea of teleporting, was not too shocked when she felt the ground vanish from under her with a pop, then reappear with another. "Come forwards," Nicholas said, with Penumbra opening her eyes and trotting forwards to join him, Cecilia and Belial, standing in a large opening just outside of the room.

Another eight pink and purple flashes followed her, each one bringing another member of the group up and into the ship. Rarity had looked a little shaken, apparently not having heeded Nicholas' command to keep her eyes closed. Rainbow Dash clearly hadn't, as she came aboard yelling about a "shadow monster," causing Nicholas to have to pull her away with his invisible telekinesis.

After the eighth flash, which released Kyhron, the officer on the console saluted. "All are aboard, Captain," he said into a panel on his desk, "we're ready when you are."

"Wait," Penumbra said, "where's Haisan? Or Ablazed Glory, or Chrysalis?" All three were nowhere to be found.

"Haisan will be leading the ground assault," Ar'Aknos said, "he is en route to the front now. Ablazed Glory and Chrysalis are being transferred elsewhere, Emperor Nicholas has something in mind for them."

"But, we need all the help we can get."

Another voice joined in, one Penumbra was certain she knew, "that's why you have us."

The six members of Red Team, who Penumbra had been introduced to not too long ago, stood a few metres behind Nicholas, fully geared up. Though, as Penumbra had found out when they first met, two of their members had died during the Gateway assault, the presence of a large portion of a PHALANX squad would definitely help tip the balance of the scales in their favour.

"We're ready," their leader, Douglas, said, "let's go win this war."