• Published 16th Sep 2019
  • 617 Views, 472 Comments

Western Champion - The Blue EM2

  • ...
4
 472
 617

The Magic Inside

It was now the time of the concert. As Coloratura stood behind the curtain, steeling herself for what could either go beautifully or turn into a complete and total disaster, a girl stood in front of the curtain addressing the crowd. She was a 15 year old girl with lavender skin and purple eyes, she also had blue, purple and pink hair set in varying strands, currently done up in a ponytail. She had a pair of black square-framed glasses set on her nose, and was wearing turquoise socks, a pair of dark purple flats, a purple skirt, and a turquoise short sleeved shirt with a pink vest, complete with bow tie. This was Twilight Sparkle, or Sci-Twi, something of a local genius and newest member of the Rainbooms. She had had a bit of turbulent relationship with the others, given her introduction to them was nearly killing them through a poor understanding of magic. This had even led to her being overwhelmed by the energy contained in her pendant and changing into a daemon that nearly blew up reality. Thankfully, these girls had agreed to become her friends, and had supported her integration into Canterlot High. Twilight had also helped them defeat the crazed Gloriosa Daisy, who had attempted to seal off Camp Everfree from the entire world in a desperate attempt to save the camp from being redeveloped. Thankfully, they had succeeded in stopping her, and had held a special fundraising event to save the camp. Thankfully, the nearby narrow gauge line had chipped in, as the future of the line, which had been restored to working order by the Crusaders, depended on the scenic beauty of the Camp and local region, which would have been noticeably spoiled by the presence of a spa. Thank heaven that idea had been stopped- which probably wouldn’t have got planning permission anyway.

Twilight spoke up, addressing the crowd as previously stated. "Good evening everybody!" she called. "Welcome to the opening of the Canterlot Music Festival! Now, it is my great honour to introduce you to our headlining act- Countess Coloratura!"

Twilight stepped to one side, and the curtain slid open, to reveal another screen, and in front of that a grand piano, set a little way up upon a podium. The lights were focused on it, and a microphone was set up next to the keyboard, so that the singer could easily get to it. And forward stepped Countess Coloratura, and boy was she different from last time. The veil was gone, and her hair was now strands of blue, mixed in with a much lighter blue. Much of her hair collected around her shoulders, some of it pooling in curls around her left shoulder. The eyeliner was also gone, and far removed from the ridiculous ensemble of the previous day, she was now wearing a black sleeveless shirt, and a pair of black pants with a sparkle pattern laid into them, causing them to shimmer in the lights from the stage. She also wore a pair of blue shoes, and as she walked onto stage, she sat down at the piano, and adjusted the stool, in order to get the best possible position on the keys. Glancing up, she then gave a thumbs up.

Out on the railroad, Pip started Western Champion's engine, which rumbled into life with a cough and a growl. The miocrophone came to life, the diesel engine supplying more than enough power for the stage microphones and lights.

"This song may be familiar," Coloratura began to say, "as it's a new arrangement of something I used to perform in my early career. But yet, in many ways it's totally different. Kind of like me, Rara."

There was some confusion. "Who the heck is Rara?" asked a spectator, looking up at the stage. "I thought they booked Countess Coloratura!"

"They're one and the same," Button pointed out. "In her early careeer, she often performed under that name, as a contraction of Coloratura."

"Shhh!" hissed Ocellus. "She's about to start!"


Coloratura's fingers took to the keys, and she began to play. Her fingers flowed beautifully across the keys as the melody echoed forth from her mouth, stunning all. No autotune, no techno backing, and no smoke machines. Just a piano, a voice, and raw emotion.

"I'm here to show you who I am,
Throw off the veil, it's finally time.
There's more to me than glitz and glam, oh-whoa,
And now I feel my stars align;

"For I had believed what I was sold;
I did all the things that I was told;
But all that has changed, and now I'm bold;
'Cause I know-"

And as the chorus began, a hidden string section began playing behind the screen, illuminated in sillhouette by floodlights.

"That I am only human!
I make mistakes from time to time;
But now I know the real me.
And put my heart out on the line;

"And let the magic in my heart stay true
Whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa;
And let the magic in my heart stay true
Whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa;
Just like the magic inside of you!"

And then, her performance reached a dizzying crescendo, the emotion in her voice rolling around and catching up all listening. And if you looked carefully, in Coloratura's eyes, you could see the signs of tears. But these were not tears of sadness. They were tears of joy, and of defiance.

"And now I see those colors
Right before my eyes;
I hear my voice so clearly
And I know that it is right!

"They thought I was weak, but I am strong;
They sold me the world, but they were wrong!
And now that I'm back, I still belong
'Cause I know;

"That I am only human!
I make mistakes from time to time;
But now I know the real me;
And put my heart out on the line!

"And let the magic in my heart stay true
Whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa;
And let the magic in my heart stay true
Whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa;
Just like the magic inside of you..

Just like the magic inside of you!"

Coloratura concluded the song on a high note, and the cloud burst into absolute uncontrolled applause. "Thank you, everybody!" she called, a smile on her face. "When I arrived at the Canterlot Music Festival only a few days ago, I had forgotten who I really was, letting it all get buried under production, sound, and money. But then a group of students from the local high school, the crew of Western Champion, who brought me here, no doubt, reminded me what real friendship is about, and she told me that if I was true to myself, I couldn't go wrong! So I have a very special surprise for them."

Coloratura paused, as she looked out into the crowd to see Pip walking over from Western Champion to join them. It all seemed to be running like clockwork. So, sure enough, she began to speak again. "Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Pipsqueak, Rumble, Button Mash, Thorax, and Ocellus, please come on up!"

The assembled crew of eight students stood on the stage, with proud smiles on their faces and facing whoops and cheers from those who looked on at them.

"Some of my older fans will probably recognise this one," Coloratura smiled, picking up a guitar and starting to strum. And then, as if by magic, they all began to join in. And the orchestra began to play again as well, producing a wonderful sound and rounding out the texture quite nicely.

America, the land I love,
A land of harmony;
Our flag does wave from high above
For everyone to see!

America, a land of friends;
Where people all do roam!
They say true friendship never ends;
America, my home!"

As they finished, the crowd went wild. The first concert of the new Coloratura had been a smash hit, and the Crusaders had gained a little bit of fame on the side, alongside Pip, Button, Rumble, Thorax, and Ocellus.

And through it all, and the very thing that had made it possible, was Western Champion.

Author's Note:

Well, I have returned, and a year on from Railway Adventure too! This was a lot of fun to write, especially as The Mane Attraction is one of my favourite episodes, and the Class 52s are (hands down) some of the best diesels in Britain. So, what's not to love?

I will have another story uploading from Monday onwards, so keep your eyes peeled!