• ...
5
 34
 564

The evening meal

It was the late evening in February, on a Saturday like most other Saturdays. The snow still lay on the ground, and the temperature was cold. The sky was a shade that was not exactly describable, but sat somewhere between black and dark blue. This was most annoying, as it made it extremely hard to describe. However, there was not a cloud in the sky, and the moon produced a clear and wondrous light which illuminated the night.

Not many people were there to see it. Quite sensibly on their part, they had chosen to remain indoors with the heating on, or enjoying a nice meal.



Just out of town, about 5 miles to the south, lie a pair of large estates, each on opposite sides of the road. One of these estates was very large, at least 100 acres in total. It ran to the coast, and both east and west with green, landscaped gardens. In the centre of it all sat a vast country home, which was spread over 5 floors, and had more than 100 rooms, though nobody knew exactly why it had 100 rooms. This home and estate had belonged to an incredibly influential local family, there from Canterlot’s founding in the 1850s. That family had been the Milks, but now through marriage (which at times felt more like a business merger), the estate was now in the ownership of the Riches, who were somewhat ironically named until recently.

On the other side of the road, there was an estate of similar size, with an equally large house. This estate had been owned by another family, the Cheeses. Sadly, the last of their line, Gruyere, had passed away 20 years ago, and the estate had been purchased by the Steel family, a line of steel barons from the north-eastern United States. In both estates, there were large sheds, and workshops, and a railway line that ran from one estate to the other, running under the road via a great double track tunnel. It soared over bridges, and through sweeping curves.

But this railway was unusual. It was very small, as the rails were only 15 inches apart. This made it the smallest operating railway in California, but it was not always open.



Inside the house belonging to the Riches, six individuals were seated around the great dining table that sat in the great hall. On the walls of the great hall hung many grand paintings, and the centre of the room was dominated by a fireplace so large three grown men had to stand on each other’s shoulders in order to reach the top. The table was a similarly grand affair, made of mahogany, and it was at least eight feet long.

Our individuals in question were seated around the end closest to the door. Seated at the head of the table was a man with brownish skin and black hair. He was dressed in his usual attire of a blue business suit with black polished shoes and a red tie, meaning he had been compared to Donald Trump more than once. His name was Filthy Rich, though he generally went by the name of Rich. He had once been rather ironically named, as he was not rich at all when he started out. But, in the true American spirit, he had built himself up from the ground. He had a relaxed, easy manner, and was currently engaged in lively conversation with the other man in the group.

This other man had tan skin and an impressive brown beard combined with grey hair, and was likewise dressed in a suit, just this one was brown with brown shoes, and a blue tie. This fellow was Dark Steel, who was from the Steel family, a long line of steel magnates that had once lived in the Chicago area, but now found its way down here. Dark Steel had started out fantastically wealthy, and had only become wealthier as time had gone by. It was therefore a good thing that he was a philanthropist, and had donated many millions of dollars over the years to good and charitable causes. He had a similarly easy manner, and was also engaged in conversation.

Next to Dark Steel sat a woman. She had grey coloured skin and blue hair, and was formally dressed in a long green gown and red heels. Her name was Perfect Set, and she was the wife of Dark Steel. The Sets had been a family of relative obscurity in the American social network, but now was somewhat better known thanks to the connections with the Steel family. A kind, friendly woman, not to mention a rather hands-on mother, she was equally easy in her manner of conversation.

The lady sitting opposite her, I am sorry to say, did not have the same easy manners. Although when I say Lady, it is perhaps a misnomer given that this individual did not strictly fit the definition. She had pink skin and purple hair, and wore a blue dress with golden heels. Her name was Spoiled Rich (formerly Milk), and it was thanks to her marriage to Filthy Rich that the Milk estate was now in the ownership of the Rich family. Somewhat snooty and stuck-up, she was aware of her social position and was keen to remind others of this, which sometimes let to clashes with her husband.

Next to her was a girl, no more than 12 years old. She bore a strong resemblance to her mother, having pink skin and two-tone pink and white hair. She wore a black short-sleeved shirt, with a yellow jacket on top of that (though heavens know why she was wearing it indoors), a white skirt with black leggings, and a pair of yellow boots. The tiara lodged in her hair (which had diamonds in it) was somewhat a clue as to her name. This, indeed, was Diamond Tiara, the daughter of Filthy Rich and, by logical extension, Spoiled Rich. Once a bit of a stuck-up brat, she had changed her ways and become close friends with those she had once tormented the most, the Crusaders.

Rounding out our little sextet was another girl, the same age as Diamond Tiara. She had grey skin and two-tone grey hair, and was dressed in a purple blouse with a white undershirt, a pink skirt with a white stripe toward the bottom, and a pair of purple boots with white lining. She also had a pair of blue, circle-rimmed glasses mounted upon her nose, and her hair was pleated on the back. Her name was Silver Spoon, as the pendant she wore more than made clear. The daughter of Dark Steel and Perfect Set, she had been friends with Diamond Tiara for longer than she could remember; on that note, Diamond was effectively the sister she had never had. This helped especially when your best friend lived across the road from you. Now close friends with the Crusaders, these two girls helped out in any way they could.

Just as we enter the scene, the butler and serving staff were collecting in the plates from the main course, and glasses were being handed out for after-dinner drinks; champagne for the adults, and lemonade for the girls. We shall now listen in on their conversation.

“And, by capturing the whole sale market, purchasing in bulk and slashing all prices, we undermine every other gift market in the state, and that's how Rich's Barnyard Bargains became the cornerstone of retail in California.” Filthy Rich had just been giving a long and proud history of his company, to a rather interested Dark Steel. Barnyard Bargains was on the verge of expanding into other states. Oregon and Nevada awaited.

“Most fascinating!” Dark Steel replied, with his typical jovial manner. “I must say, you are the most astute of businessmen!”

Dark Steel’s enthusiasm was not shared by Spoiled Rich. “Must you talk business at the dining table?” she asked, with a look of intense boredom on her face.

“It was rather heavy,” Perfect Set added.

“Sorry, what were you discussing?” Diamond Tiara asked, up to this point in her own conversation with Silver Spoon.

“Nothin’ concerning you, princess,” Filthy Rich replied.

Just then, the champagne was served, as was the lemonade. “You know we produced this champagne from apples?” Filthy Rich said proudly. “It was produced by my associates over at Sweet Apple Acres; Bright Mac and his associates.”

Perfect Set looked down the table. “Bright Mac? Aren’t you friends with his daughter, Silver Spoon?”

“Yes mommy,” Silver replied.

Spoiled shook her head. “Ah yes. When Diamond joins them on their ‘crusades’, the amount of mud in the carpets increases exponentially.” Whilst Spoiled did not object to the Crusaders on principal, she did object to the colossal mess they sometimes made.

Dark Steel then re-joined the conversation. “Rich, I believe we need to discuss tomorrow’s arrangements. Regarding the open day.”

The two estates opened the rail system up to the public once a year. That was tomorrow this year.

“Indeed,” Rich said, rising from the table. “Girls!” he called.

Diamond and Silver’s heads turned immediately. “Yes father/Mr Rich?” they said together.

“Would you mind joining us in the control room to discuss tomorrow?”

Both of them got up from their seats and followed the two adults.

Spoiled sighed. “Whatever next?”



Later, Rich, Steel, and the two children had finished running over the plan.

“We can get the engine crews over for 8 in the morning,” Steel observed. “I’ll light the fires at 4, assisted by the engine staff.”

“You mean Silver Spoon?”

“Yes.”

“I’ll do the same at my end,” Rich noted. “We need 10 drivers in total, 5 at each end. Myself and Randolph will be manning the control room and operating all the switches and signals.”

“You have 15 miles of railroad to look after,” Silver said. “Are you sure you can do it on your own?”

“We’ll manage,” Steel smiled. “Focus on driving the engines.”



That evening, Silver got an early night, hopping into bed with a cup of cocoa to help her into the land of dreams.

“Hopefully he’ll be there,” she thought dreamily, as she drifted off.



Things were not so quiet at Rich Towers, however. Filthy Rich and Diamond Tiara had gone to the music room, and had gone to the piano. Diamond flipped open the case and began to play a fast, energetic tune.

There was a shout in the distance. “DIAMOND TIARA RICH! STOP MASSACRING MOZART THIS INSTANT!”

Author's Note:

Well, time for a story that combines the show's wealthy families with my favourite miniature railway, the Romney, Hythe, and Dymchurch.