• Published 15th Feb 2019
  • 681 Views, 28 Comments

Lightning Dust: The Story Of Shadow - Whooves235



After Rainbow Dash ruins her chances of getting into the Wonderbolts, a mysterious group called the Shadowbolts approaches her with a chance for revenge

  • ...
1
 28
 681

Year 2: Part 1

Shadowbolt Base

Lightning Dust was now a full-fledged Shadowbolt. To think only 6 weeks ago she was in the Wonderbolts Academy and now she was the Commander of the Shadowbolts. Well, Commander-in-Training but she was still up there. As Lightning walked around the base she could see lots of Shadowbolts, but, they all seemed... off. Each time she tried to talk to them they would just stare at her with their glassy yellow eyes, almost as if they had no soul inside them.

"Commander Dust," a Shadowbolt said.

"Yes, what is it, soldier?" Lightning said. She approached the Shadowbolt soldier who had called her, who had a dark blue and purple mane.

"Please, call me Sky Striker," he said. "We’re now working together, the least we can do is get to know each other better."

"Ok, Sky Striker, what is it?"

"The Princess has requested your presence," Sky Striker said. "She wanted me to escort you."

"Ok, lead the way," Lightning said. As the two walked to the throne room, Lightning noticed that Sky Striker’s uniform was different than the one she was wearing. it had more detail on it, and around the chest area was a badge. "What's the badge for?"

"Oh, this? I got it because of my placement. While you’re Commander-in-Training of the aerial troops, I'm Commander of the ground troops."

"Oh, so you're in the same Command as me," Lightning said.

"You could say that," Sky Striker said. "However, due to you being relatively new, I would say you won’t get your badge until you have been properly given the title of Aerial Commander."

"Oh," Lightning said, looking forward in a disappointed manner.

Captain's Quarters/Throne Room

As Lightning and Sky Striker walked into the captain's quarters, Lightning saw that Princess Cinch was working on some sort of metallic, pony-shaped statue.

"You may leave us, Sky Striker," Cinch said. Sky Striker left, closing the door behind him.

"You wanted to see me, ma’am?" Lightning said.

"I just wanted to check in on my newest Commander," Cinch replied. "Tell me, how have things been for you?"

"They’ve been ok. The rest of the Shadowbolts seem nice enough," Lightning said. She found her eyes drawn to the strange metallic statue.

"Ah, I see you are interested in my invention," Cinch said.

"Invention?"

"You see Lightning, Ive been far away from Equestria. I only recently came back, but not without a few souvenirs," Cinch said, guiding Lightning to the metallic statue.

"What is it?" Lightning asked.

"I call it a Shadow Bot. Its main purpose is to fight and be loyal without question," Cinch said. "They will be fierce on the battlefield."

"So, all those Shadowbolts around the base, are these Shadow Bots?" Lightning said.

"Yes," Cinch said. "Sky Striker, you, and one other are the only ones who are actually alive in this base."

"So that's why there’s only one barracks," Lightning said.

"Yes, the Bots do not need rest. They run on magic, my magic to be precise," Cinch said.

"But what about the two Shadowbolts that took me here last year, or my uncle Wind Rider?" Lightning said.

"The Shadowbolts are resourceful. We have spies and recruiters spread around Equestria so when the time is right, we will make an army that is actually alive."

"So, what do we do until then?" Lightning said.

“I will train you, Sky-Striker, and Nightshade in the ways of the Shadowbolts."

While Lightning did not recognize the name Nightshade, she understood that Cinch knew what she was doing, so she kept quiet. However, she did have more questions.

"When I came here, you said you would help me get revenge on Rainbow Dash," Lightning said. "How will you do this?"

"Do not fear, Lightning, we have spies in the town she is living in. She is tracked and we know where she will be," Cinch said.

"What is she doing now?" Lightning said. "If I want to get my revenge, I must know how she thinks."

"My spies tell me that she, along with the new Princess, are training. It seems the newly crowned Princess Twilight does not know how to use her wings."

"So, she is a personal trainer?" Lightning said.

"No, at the moment it looks like she’s just living up to her element," Cinch said. "But nevermind her. What you need to focus on, Lightning, is your training. How far have you progressed?"

"At the moment, I have mastered the arts of fighting, killing, and I am still working on weather control," Lightning said.

"Excellent, then today we will start to..." but before Cinch could finish her sentence Sky Striker ran through the door. "Ma'am, we have a situation!"

"What is it, Commander?" Cinch said.

"The sun and the moon," Sky Striker said.

"Yes, what about them?" Cinch said.

"You need to see for yourself."

As Lightning Dust looked at Cinch they both eyed each other, and proceeded to walk outside as Sky Striker suggested.

The Outskirts of The Crystal Empire

As Cinch, Lightning, and Sky Striker stepped out of the Shadowbolt Base, they were surprised to find the Sky was different. The moon and the sun appeared to be up at the same time.

"What’s wrong with the sun?" Lightning said.

"I don't know! One minute it was nighttime, the next thing I know the sun comes up and the moon won’t set!" Sky-Striker said.

"Most fascinating. It seems that my sisters have lost control of the very things they were destined to do," Cinch said.

"You said you had Shadowbolt spies all over, right?" Lightning said. "We should attack now, while the Princess are weak!"

"While I admire your passion and devotion, Lightning, it would be unwise. We have no idea what happened, and if something was wrong with my sisters, they would be under constant supervision," Cinch said.

"Still, It wouldn’t hurt to find out what’s going on," Sky Striker said.

"Very well, I will contact the Shadow Spies in Canterlot to see what the problem seems to be," Cinch said. "In the meantime, Sky Striker, take Lightning to the training room. She and Nightshade will train together."

"Yes, Ma'am," Sky Striker said as he signaled Lightning to follow.

"Go with Sky Striker. I will oversee the situation, my young apprentice." CInch said to Lightning as she left to follow Sky Striker.

The Shadowbolt Training Room

As Lightning and Sky Striker entered the training room she came to a stop. Lightning saw another pony in the room with a striking resembelence to Spitfire, however, her coat was light gray and her mane and tail seemed to be full blue.

"You must be Lightning Dust," the pony said. She stopped training and walked over to her "The name is Nightshade, commander of the stealth troops"

"So, you’re the third Shadowbolt here?" Lightning asked.

"Yeah. My grandfather, Midnight Shade, was the leader of the original Shadowbolts before Cinch showed up," Nightshade said.

"So, why are you not in charge now?" Lighting asked.

"When Princess Cinch showed up, my Grandfather said he saw evil in her like Sombra, so he went to the other Shadowbolts and said he was giving CInch the role of leader," Nightshade said. "However, if Cinch were to fall, I would take her place."

"So, you two have never wanted to take the role of leader from her?" Lightning asked.

"Nightshade and I never found it necessary to plot against her. She’s led the Shadowbolts to many great things, and if it wasn’t for her, the Shadowbolt army wouldn’t have been rebuilt by her Shadow Bots," Sky Striker said.

"So, speaking of Cinch, did you guys see the sky?" Nightshade said.

"Yeah, it was really weird, almost as if Celestia and Luna just decided to take a break for an entire day or something," Lightning said.

"I’m sure we will find out soon, we just have to be patient and...." Sky Striker was interrupted by the speakers.

"Commanders, please report to my throne room," Cinch said over the loudspeaker.

"Have you ever noticed that Cinch has more of an I am an authority figure tone then a all powerful ruler?" Lightning said.

"Yah, sometimes Cinch acts more like a school principle than a Princess, but we should go see what she wants," Nightshade said. Lightning, Sky Striker, and Nightshade left the training room to find Cinch.

Captain's Quarters/Throne Room

As Lightning, Sky-Striker, and Nightshade entered the throne room, Cinch was sitting at her throne, waiting.

"You called us, Ma'am?" Nightshade said.

"I have just got a letter from one of my Shadow Spies. Apparently Celestia and Luna have gone missing, and Princess Twilight and the Elements have gone after them."

"We should mount an attack on Canterlot while they’re gone," Lightning said. "Now is the perfect opportunity."

"We cannot attack," Cinch said. "It would be unwise."

"Ma'am, forgive my skepticism, but why are we holding an attack? Lightning is right, all three princesses are gone, and Canterlot is unguarded," Nightshade said.

"While it would be a good idea for us to attack, there are still things that could stand in our way. Princess Cadence could easily take over while the other princesses are gone, and there is also Discord, who most likely would be able to spot us from a mile away." Cinch said "If we attack now, the element of surprise would be lost. As far as Celestia is concerned the Shadowbolts are dead, and until the time is right, it needs to stay that way."

"Yes Ma'am, we understand," Sky Striker said.

"Now, you three may leave. I have much work to do. Nightshade and Sky Striker, continue training Lightning Dust. We have to prepare her."

"Prepare me for what?" Lightning asked.

"For initiation," Cinch replied.