• Published 15th Jan 2019
  • 2,474 Views, 147 Comments

Dash’s Little Big Secret - pandaxxus



Rainbow has been acting weird lately...and now that Applejack thinks about it, so has her brother! What could possibly be going on??

  • ...
2
 147
 2,474

The Secret Is Out

Dash watched Big Macintosh exit the barn with a smile on her face, The sound of the door closing softly was the only other sound made in the small barn. Next to her, Applejack stood up and grabbed a bucket.

“Ah’m about ta go an’ tend the horses. Ya comin’ or are ya gonna stay there and daydream about my brother?” she said, her mouth forming an evil smirk.

Rainbow felt her cheeks heat up immediately and crossed her arms before standing up herself.

“Yeah, yeah I’m coming.” she grumbled.

Applejack chuckled a bit before saying, “Alright then, Ah’m gonna need ya to get me one of them brushes up there so Ah can help their manes. Can ya hand it to me?”

“Yeah.” Rainbow replied without hesitation and turned around to find one of the brushes sitting on a high shelf. She walked over to it and stood on the tip of her toes desperately trying to reach the object. She strained and waved her hand and groaned as the tip of her fingers barely touched the brush. She stopped after hearing Applejack’s laughter. Turning around, Rainbow narrowed her eyes at Applejack, who was now bent over holding her knees. Rainbow watched as Applejack’s smile spread over her freckles and she wiped a tear from her green eyes.

“What’s the matter, Dash?” She asked with a sly smirk.

Rainbow grumbled something from under her breath.

“Ah’m sorry, Ah didn’t quite catch that.” Applejack tried to say while laughing.

“I said I can’t reach it…” Rainbow pouted while crossing her arms. With that, Applejack burst into laughter once again, and she walked over to grab the brush herself, without as much trouble as Rainbow had.

“Aw, don’t look at me like that. Ya know Ah’m just playin’ with ya.” Applejack told the shorter girl.

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever, let’s just go.” Rainbow opened the barn door only to meet face to face with Big Macintosh once again.

“Uh...AJ. Ya think Ah can borrow her for a second?” the older farmer asked, scratching the back of his head awkwardly.

Rainbow watched as another smile crept onto Applejack’s tanned face.

“O’ course. Ah’ll be in the stable if ya need me Dash.” Applejack said as she walked past her brother and closed the door.
The two stood in silence for a moment before Rainbow looked up.

“So, what’s up?” she asked her boyfriend.

“Ah just wanted to make sure you were okay. Ah didn’t know ya were coming and Ah saw you were cryin’ a bit a minute ago.”

Rainbow looked up at Big Macintosh and failed to stop a goofy smile appearing on her face. She found herself lucky to have such a caring boyfriend. He looked and took note of even the smallest things. She tried to remain cool and tried to stop smiling for a moment.

“Hey. I wasn’t crying.” Rainbow crossed her arms.

“Sure you weren’t.” Big Macintosh playfully rolled his eyes. He then walked over to the bale of hay Applejack and Rainbow Dash had just been sitting on and plopped down. He connected another bale of hay to his and used his hand to wave his girlfriend over.

Rainbow walked over to Big Macintosh and placed her head on his lap and extended the rest of her body out on the bale of hay. She looked up at him and stared into his deep green eyes. She admired his freckles as she folded her hands on her stomach.

Mac looked down at Rainbow and looked stern into her own magenta eyes.

“Ya sure nothin’s wrong?” he asked sincerely.

“I’m positive…” Rainbow yawned, suddenly feeling exhausted. She avoided Big Macintosh’s gaze.

“Tired?” Mac asked while smiling.

“A little. I’ve been up since two in the morning.” Rainbow said and instantly wished she could have taken that last part back.

“Doin’ what?” Mac suddenly became concerned.

“Thinking…”

“Well it had to be somethin’ serious if it kept ya up that long.”

“Mac…” Rainbow sighed.

“Ah don’t want ya to feel like you can’t trust me. Ah’m here Dash, Ah always am. You can talk to me if ya need to.” Big Mac stared down at Rainbow.

“Its just...we’ve already talked about this before. Like a bajillion times.” the young athlete started.

“We can talk about it a bajillion more times if it helps ya…”

Rainbow smiled, “I just told AJ about us.”

Big Macintosh looked shocked almost.

“Ya did?”

“Well...kind of. She thinks I just have a thing for you.”

“But you do.”

Rainbow sat up for a moment before continuing.

“Yeah but I didn’t tell her that we have been dating. Forget the fact that it’s been almost a year! You were right, Mac. We should have told her back in the beginning. She’s fine with the idea of us as a couple, but do you know what she could do if she finds out I’ve been lying to her this entire time?! What if she hates me?! What if it destroys what we have?! I don’t want to lose either of you and now I just might because I was too scared to do it in the first place.”

At this point, Rainbow had paced around the room several times before leaning against the wall and sliding down slowly.

“I’m so pathetic..” she whined.

Big Macintosh looked upset hearing Rainbow. He got up and walked over to her, and sat down next to her.

“Hey now...this ain’t the Rainbow Dash Ah know,” he used his hand to prop Rainbow’s chin up to face him, “Sure, maybe we should have told her about us a long while ago, but you just said yourself that she would be supportive of the two of us. Ah don’t think she’s gonna let a little anger get between your friendship-”

“But it has..” Rainbow cut him off, referring to Sunset’s damage years prior.

“Ah know, darlin’. But that was before Miss Twilight showed y’all the value and meanin’ of friendship. Y’all are closer than ever before...AJ wouldn’t wanna mess that up again. Ah wouldn’t let anything come between us either. You are not pathetic, you’re Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash is confident, strong, and can’t always be perfect. Ah’m not gonna lie and tell ya that AJ isn’t gonna be mad, but Ah will say that she wouldn’t hate ya.”

Rainbow leaned her head on Mac’s shoulder and closed her eyes.

“I think we should tell her.” Rainbow said suddenly.

“Ya sure you’re ready?”

Rainbow nodded and fell silent, signaling that she was beginning to fall asleep.

After a few moments of silence, Rainbow spoke up.

“Mac?” she said sleepily.

“Yes, darlin’?”

“I love you…”

Big Mac’s face immediately heated up and his eyes widened. He looked down at his half-asleep girlfriend in shock. It was the first time in all of their months of dating that those words were said.

Rainbow must have felt Big Macintosh stiffen because she spoke up again.

“What? Mad ‘cause I said it first?” she said softly and giggled.

Big Macintosh laughed before wrapping his arms around Rainbow tightly and kissed the top of her head.

“Ah love ya too, darlin’. Ah love ya too.” was all he said as Rainbow drifted off with a large grin on her face.


Rainbow felt something lightly pushing on her shoulder. Slowly, she opened her eyes and found herself laying on Big Macintosh, who was still on the floor. She must have fallen asleep. Dash sat up slightly so she could look at her boyfriend, who gave her a small smile.

“How long was I out for?” she asked groggily and tucked some of her prismatic hair behind her ear.

“‘Bout an hour or two.” he said.

“And you just sat there?!” Rainbow’s eyes widened.

“Eeyup.”

“Did Applejack see us? Oh God.” Rainbow frowned.

“Yeah, Ah saw y’all.” a familiar voice said from across the room.

Rainbow’s head spun in horror to find Applejack smiling at her while fixing up some equipment. Rainbow felt her face heat up immediately and she covered her face with her hands.

“Ah walked in about fifteen minutes after Big Mac asked to speak to ya. The two of ya were on the floor cuddlin’ and ya were sleepin’ like a baby,” Applejack started and walked over to the two of them, “Ah didn’t wanna wake ya up. But Mac said ya wanted to talk to me?”

Rainbow looked at Mac with a worried expression on her face.

“We don’t have to if ya don’t want to.” Big Macintosh started, placing his hand on top of hers.

“No. We have to.” Rainbow said firmly and stared at Applejack. She stood up and helped the young farmer up as well. They held each other's hands as Rainbow sighed.

“You know how I just told you I kind of have the hots for your brother?” she asked Applejack.

“Yeah…” Applejack raised an eyebrow, “Did ya tell him? Ah told ya he liked ya back!” She smiled happily and punched Rainbow’s shoulder.

“Heh..” Rainbow laughed nervously, “Yeah..he likes me back alright.”

Applejack’s smile slowly disappeared as she looked at her brother’s face turn into one of worry as well.

“What’s goin’ on?” Applejack crossed her arms.

Rainbow bit her lip and finally blurted it out.

“Your brother and I have kind of already been dating..” she clutched Big Mac’s hands tight.

“Oh is that all? How long?” Applejack smiled once again. Rainbow could tell that Applejack had thought that the two had just started in their relationship.

“Um...seven months?” Rainbow flinched, shut her eyes tight, and expected the worst to come. She waited to hear Applejack gasp or scream in shock. She waited to hear her scream at her brother. She waited to see an angry face. However, when Rainbow heard nothing, she opened her eyes and saw a smug smile on Applejack’s face.

“Wait..did I miss anything?” Rainbow asked, and looked at Big Mac, who also looked confused.

“Ah know..” Applejack smiled.

Rainbow had to make sure she heard that correctly. She froze and her brows furrowed as she stared at Applejack.

“Ah’m sorry, what?” Big Macintosh asked.

“What do you mean you know?” Rainbow asked suspiciously.

“Ah knew since October.” Applejack stated simply.

“What?!” Rainbow’s voice cracked and she looked angry.

“How did ya find out?” Big Macintosh asked scratching the back of his head. He seemed to be a lot calmer than Dash.

“Well...at the beginnin’ of the year Ah kind of yelled at Dash about how she was actin’ different.” Applejack started.

“Mhmm…” Rainbow crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes.

“And Ah went to go apologize to her and ended up takin’ her soccer ball by accident. By the time Ah came back to give it to her the both of ya were smoochin’.” Applejack explained, still wearing a smile on her face.

Rainbow on the other hand was glaring at Applejack, gritting her teeth.

“So you’re telling me...you knew this entire time...and you didn’t say anything?” Rainbow asked through clenched teeth.

“Ah was waitin’ for y’all to tell me. Don’t you get mad at me.” Applejack narrowed her eyes at the young athlete.

With that, Rainbow seemed to ease up a bit. She took a deep breath in and blew it out as she closed her eyes.

“Yeah...about that. I was scared to see how you’d react.” she looked down.

Rainbow watched Applejack’s green eyes widen.

“Didn’t Ah tell ya from the beginnin’ that Ah would never end our friendship over somethin’ like this?” she snapped.

“Well..Mac and I were going to tell you we swear. But after a few weeks, then months, I got scared that you’d be mad that we didn’t tell you sooner.” Rainbow confessed.

“So the logical thing to do was to wait longer?” Applejack deadpanned.

“Well...yeah?” Rainbow Dash put her head down and her colorful bangs covered her face.

Big Macintosh was silent and didn’t say much, which was normal for him.

“Are ya mad, AJ?” his deep voice quivered, causing Rainbow to glance at him for a moment.

Applejack scoffed, “O’ course I am. Ah’ve been waitin’ for y’all to tell me for the longest.”

The couple hung their heads in shame and fear. Applejack’s hard gaze softened.

“But Ah’m happy for the two of ya. Mac, this is the happiest Ah’ve seen Rainbow in all my years of knowin’ her,” she praised and smiled as her brother looked up at her with a small smile, “And Rainbow, my brother is startin’ to open up and talk a lil’ more thanks to ya.”

Rainbow sighed in relief and leaned against Big Macintosh. This had gone much better than expected and it felt as if a huge weight had been lifted off of her shoulders.

“Have ya told the other girls yet?” Applejack was curious.

Rainbow looked up at her friend.

“Actually, no.” Rainbow answered sheepishly.

“Well maybe we should tell em’ tomorrow. They are suspicious too y’know.” Applejack suggested.

“Good idea.”

Big Macintosh looked outside and saw that the sun was beginning to set. He glanced at Rainbow and spoke up for the first time in a few minutes.

“It’s gettin’ late, darlin’. Ya still look tired. Maybe it’s time for ya to get home…” he insisted.

Rainbow glanced at the window and saw for herself.

“Yeah...I guess you’re right.” she yawned.

“Ya need a ride home?”

“I mean, if it isn’t too much trouble. I can just call my mom if anything.”

“Ah wouldn’t want your ma comin’ all the way over here for somethin’ Ah could have done myself. Besides, didn’t you tell me your mom was wonderin’ about me?”

“Hold on, Mac. Ya met her mom?” Applejack broke in.

“Yeah...a few times actually.” Rainbow chuckled lightly.

“And she knows that the two o’ ya are datin’?” Applejack waved her finger at the couple.

“Oh, yeah, she can’t get enough of the stud.” Rainbow cooed and hooked her arm around her boyfriend’s, to which Big Macintosh’s face reddened.

“So are you taking me home or what?” Rainbow asked suddenly.

“Uh..yeah. Whenever you’re ready.” Mac nodded, “Ah’ll go get my keys.” he stated before leaving.

The only two left in the barn were Applejack and Rainbow.

“So...you’re sure you’re fine with us dating?” Rainbow worried.

“Dang nabbit Rainbow, yes!” Applejack howled, “Stop worryin’ girl!”

“Just asking.” Rainbow beamed.

Mac then opened the door and gestured that he was ready.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, AJ.” Rainbow suddenly hugged Applejack, which surprised her. Rainbow rarely showed any signs of affection like that, but Applejack hugged back anyway.

“Alright shorty, git outta here.” Applejack chuckled and watched as Rainbow and Big Mac entered his car and drove off.


“What’s the big news, Dashie? Ooh! Let me guess! Did you make the Wonderbolts team? Are the Wondercolts going to make the championships? Did you pass your finals?” Pinkie Pie jumped around the horse statue as she rambled. Suddenly she gasped dramatically, pulling on her hair.

Are you pregnant?!” she whispered.

Pinkie! NO!” Rainbow shrieked.

The girls were gathered in their usual spot at Canterlot High on that Monday morning. Rainbow had texted her friends the night before that she had some news to tell her friends, and it was clear that everyone, except Applejack, was eager to find out what Rainbow had to tell.

Applejack and Sunset Shimmer laughed at Rainbow’s reaction to Pinkie’s guess.

“Pinkie...maybe we should let her tell us.” Sunset said through her giggles.

“Okie Dokie Lokie! But was I close?” Pinkie questioned, her pink hair bouncing.

No.” Rainbow grimaced. Her face red.

“Better not be..” Applejack muttered, earning a glare from Rainbow Dash.

“Well Darling, don’t keep us waiting! Do tell!” Rarity begged.

Rainbow gave a slight smile and began to play with the tips of her hair, which was a habit she developed when she was nervous. She looked at her friend’s expecting faces.

Twilight and Fluttershy had warm smiles, Rarity and Pinkie Pie were trying to keep their excitement calm, and Sunset and Applejack crossed their arms. Rainbow took a deep breath and started speaking.

“So...I may or may not be dating someon-”

Rainbow was interrupted by Rarity who squealed and hugged Rainbow tightly.

I KNEW IT!!!!” Rarity screamed and giggled, causing Rainbow to flinch.

“Oh Rainbow, I’m so happy for you!” Fluttershy cheered softly.

“Is it Thunderlane? You two have been speaking a lot lately. Oh please tell me it’s Thunderlane!” Rarity rambled.

“I ship it!” Pinkie added.

Twilight giggled, “How long have you been in a relationship Rainbow?”

“Almost a year…” Rainbow muttered.

“Really?” Sunset’s eyes widened.

“Since September..”

“Wow..” Sunset uttered.

“So..who is it?!” Rarity urged.

Rainbow watched closely to see her friends’ reactions when she had told them.

“Big Macintosh.”

Rainbow heard Rarity and Pinkie gasp out of shock, Sunset and Twilight looked surprised, and was that a flash of disappointment in Fluttershy’s eyes? Rainbow would have to ask about that later.

“I would have never guessed. Darling, I’m so happy!!” Rarity squealed.

“I ship this couple more!” Pinkie hollered.

“That’s...interesting.” Twilight stated.

“Yeah...I’m surprised Applejack hasn’t killed you yet.” Sunset smirked.

“Ah knew for a while, but Ah’m fine with it.” Applejack smiled.

“That’s good...but Dash, why did you wait so long?” Twilight asked innocently.

“I kind of chickened out when it came to telling AJ about us..” Rainbow answered, her face reddening again.

Suddenly, the bell from inside the building rang and students began to file into the school, heading into their classes. The girls exchanged their goodbyes and began to depart until lunch, however, Rainbow grabbed Fluttershy by the arm.

“Hey, Shy. Are you alright?” she asked, concerned.

Fluttershy turned at looked at her childhood friend with a large smile on her face.

“Of course, Rainbow. Why would anything be wrong?” she blinked her teal eyes innocently.

“You were kind of quiet back there...I just wanted to make sure.”

“Dashie, I’m always quiet.” Fluttershy giggled, and Rainbow could tell that it was clearly forced.

“Shy...talk to me.” Rainbow pleaded.

Fluttershy looked down for a moment with a frown on her face before giving Rainbow a sad smile.

“I’m okay, Dashie. Don’t worry. I have to go to class okay?” she said before hugging her friend and walking away.

“Yeah..okay.” Rainbow said with a frown.

Rainbow walked into her first period class and sat next to Applejack. She rested her head on her hand as she barely listened to the teacher. She hated it when she knew that Fluttershy was upset and she wouldn’t tell her. She was supposed to help her and protect her. It hurt when it seemed like Fluttershy couldn’t trust her.

“You okay?” Applejack whispered next to her, snapping Dash out of her thoughts.

“I’m fine..” Rainbow whispered back.

Author's Note:

Yay! Another Chapter! Even though the secret is out, I still have some things planned for this story. Why do you think Shy’s upset??