• Published 11th Jan 2019
  • 2,212 Views, 51 Comments

Tales from the Second Age of Magic - VeganSpyro97



Former human, Allan Ryder's life was strange enough as it was. Now life has new surprises for him and his friends....or is it her friends, now?

  • ...
12
 51
 2,212

Chapter 12: Claws

“Crimson!” Twilight pouted, staring up into his burgundy eyes with her now commonplace pout. She always used it when she wanted him to do something, and it was obvious that she knew how effective it was, because she always used it to win an argument.

“Come on! Why do I need to go and explore?” He demanded, tapping his foot in irritation. “I’ve already got plenty of friends, I know my way around town, and I have a job!”

“All those bits are going to Appleoosa at the moment, Crimson.” Twilight pointed out, her pout growing in intensity. “And you have the girls. That’s it. Just me, the other Element bearers, and Static!”

“Yeah, seven friends, right there. Where’s the problem?”

“Static may have been a guy a year ago, but she has made it very plain that she’s committing to her new self, which means that every single one of your friends is of the opposite gender! Don’t you want any guy friends at all?” Twilight’s pout was reaching close to critical mass now, the cuteness overload trying to give Crimson a heart attack.

“All of your friends are the same gender as you.” Crimson returned, trying to refute her point.

“Not true. I have you, Spike, Discord, Big Mac, Mr Cake, and that one clock maker who can even out science me! What was his name, uh….oh yeah, Time Turner!” Twilight refuted his point with her usual matter-of-factness, simply tearing apart his excuses with irrefutable logic.

“......Ugh, fine…..” Crimson slumped over in his chair, defeated. He had been trying to read a history book about the Princesses- a complaint he vocalized to Twilight as she started trying to bundle him out of the castle library, chair and all. “You know, I can’t do all the things you tell me to do all at once!”

“Then move your butt and do some of them!” Twilight returned, giving up on physically pushing the chair and simply hoisting Crimson’s comfy recliner into the air and marching him out to the front door. “I don’t care where you start, just do something other than buck apples and study!”

“I’m not you and Applejack’s magical love baby!”

Twilight’s cheeks went bright red, and she promptly threw the castle’s font door open and flung him through them, so that he landed on the road outside. “Just go outside already!”

Crimson turned to yell his reply back at her, but the doors had already slammed closed. “I’M ALREADY OUTSIDE YOU CRAZY MARE!!” He bellowed, before turning and walking briskly away. Twilight was in a mood, so he was getting well away from her.

“Twilight kicked you out, huh?” Crimson looked up to see Spike, the often present and even more often unnoticed young dragon assistant of Twilight’s. He was carrying a stack of small boxes that was as tall as he was. The young dragon unable to see over them, instead peering around them to see where he was going.

Crimson picked himself up off the floor and nodded, wiping dirt off of his shirt- this one was blue, a colour that Rarity seemed to enjoy using. “Yeah. Something about ‘not enough guy friends’.”

“Figures. She’s concerned about you when you have no guy friends, but she never thought about me when I didn’t.” Spike snarked. He jostled the boxes a little, so that he could grip them better, his blunted claws leaving little scrape marks in the thin wooden panels. “Anyway, you look like you could use someone to talk to who isn’t going to harp on about making friends all day. Wanna come with me? I’m supposed to be taking these back to Twilight’s lab. I doubt she’ll notice you’ve come back in, so you should be fine.”

Crimson grinned. “You’re encouraging me to break her rules now?”

“Only when she won’t notice.” Spike returned with a cocky smile. “I do it all the time.”

Crimson snickered as he followed Spike back up to the doors, waited for a few moments, just to make sure Twilight had retreated back to one of the many Library rooms, and then opened the door, peering around, just to be on the safe side, and then scurried through to Twilight’s lab, chuckling to themselves as they went. Spike turned to Crimson with a mischievous giggle. “Breaking the rules like this is always fun.”

“Ignoring Princess Twilight’s rules? Why, whoever would do such a thing?” Asked a voice. Spike jumped up a mile in the air, yelling out loud in alarm as his wings fluttered rapidly, barely keeping him aloft. Crimson gritted his teeth and looked around for the owner of the voice, spotting a figure draped over a bookshelf. There was an open window behind them.

“I do a pretty good impression of Discord for a girl, huh?” Static chuckled, stretching out like a cat, before dropping down in front of them, alighting on her hooves with a quick flare of her wings. “So, what are you two doing?”

“Could ask you the same thing, missy.” Crimson smirked, folding his arms across his chest. “Spying on us, are we?”

“Spying? Pffft! Who, me? What do you take me for?” Static laughed, brushing a hoof through her mane. “Nah, if I wanted to spy on you, you’d never know I was there, and I definitely wouldn’t reveal myself like that! I just dropped in to pay Twilight a visit and happened across you two first. Soooooo…..what about you?”

“Oh- uh, we’re just hanging out, talking.” Spike said, managing to finally calm his frantic heart down. “Nothing much, really.”

Crimson frowned, looking down at Spike’s blunted claws again. “Hey, how do you even protect yourself if you dull your claws, anyway?”

Spike blinked, looking at his claws in confusion. “Protect myself? Why would I need to do that? I’ve got Twilight!”

Crimson noticed Static frown at that, and he felt the same expression cross his face. “And if Twilight were in trouble, or otherwise unable to help you? What would you do then? What will you do if something happens and there is no one else around to help?”

Spike raised a claw and opened his mouth, clearly about to voice a suggestion, before the words died in his throat. “I-......I guess I never thought about that….”

“No one ever wants to, Spike.” Static sighed. “It’s why most people don’t. But sometimes it’s better to prepare for this kind of thing- like having an extra key, in case you lose or break yours, ya know?”

Spike nodded. “That does make sense.”

“So, why don’t we find somewhere where we can show you a few things you can do, and get you prepared, eh?” Crimson asked with a smile.

Spike’s own grin was almost as big, and his enthusiastic nodding only served to widen the smile on both adults faces.

*************************************

“Okay, keep your guard up- yeah, that’s it! And one- two- three- four!” Static punched out at Spike in a varied way, making sure to keep him on his toes, but holding back so as not to overwhelm him completely. They were standing in a large, clear patch of dusty ground in the guard barracks behind Twilight’s Castle, which was used as their sparring ring. It was mostly empty at the moment, seeing as Twilight’s guard was still only a few ponies strong, meaning that most were on duty already. The two instructors had taken turns with the young dragon. Crimson primarily told him how to use his claws to attack, while Static showed him how to defend, creating a blended fighting style that was a mixture of pony and Architect styles, with a little of Spike’s own creative flare for good measure.

The pair made for decent teachers, being calm and patient with Spike, and each other, getting along fairly well, since they were already friends. It was when Crimson had suggested that they try to teach Spike how to use a sword that Static drew the line. “Uh, no offense, but if he ends up hurt, I’d rather not end up resembling a roast chicken when Twilight finds out.”

Crimson didn’t take much persuading beyond that.

“Watch your feet!” Static cautioned, sweeping her hooves at his legs. Spike didn’t quite react to it fast enough, slamming down onto the floor with a thud.

“Ow.” The dragon groaned, chuckling a little. “That hurt.”

“Yeah, that happens when you train.” Static chuckled, with Crimson nodding in agreement.

“Alright, my turn.”

Static looked up from the training floor, raising an eyebrow. “You sure you want to jump in?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Alright, but be gentle.”

Crimson smirked, shaking his hands and rolling his shoulders, as Static trotted easily over to him, he quietly spoke his reply to her. “Yeah, I wanna step in! The kid’s gotta learn that there are some challenges you can’t beat.”

Static scowled, darkly. “You hurt him, and I won’t step in when Twilight goes ape-shit.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll still be gentle.”

“You kick apples out of trees. Your gentle is other people’s hard.”

“Then I’ll be really gentle.”

Static rolled her eyes and moved off to find a decent seat, finding one beside a guardspony who had found time to watch the little teaching session with interest.

Spike nodded in deference to Crimson as he approached. “So…..what are you gonna teach me?” He asked, curiously.

“I’m gonna teach you what all fighters come to realise, eventually.”

Spike didn’t like the tone in Crimson’s voice, leaning back a little and adopting a frown of his own. “And what do all fighters realise?”

Crimson stripped off his shirt, revealing his tanned skin and well muscled chest. It also revealed several large, extensive scars that ran down across his body, large, puckered circles of flesh that formed a vague curve across his torso. “That there are some fights that you will lose.”

Spike gulped, raising his claws as he’d been taught. “And…..what do you want me to do? ”

“I want you to do your best. I’ll try not to hurt you, I promise.” Crimson said, softly. “Just do your best.”

Spike nodded, and grimaced, tucking his wings in, and lashing his tail from side to side. He gritted his teeth, holding back the instinct to rush at his opponent. Crimson was a trained warrior. Rushing him wouldn’t be the best idea.

Instead, the two circled each other, stepping carefully in time with one another, whilst Static watched on, unsure of whether or not she should say anything.

Spike watched Crimson, waiting for him to move, but the Architect stayed where he was, relative to the young dragon, staying opposite him and matching his steps.

Spike grimaced, then decided to move. He broke his stance, sprinting full bore at Crimson, who put his right foot forward and drew his left back, putting his right arm up in defense.

Spike went as if to jump, but then dropped down into a roll, and launched himself up at Crimson, only to find that the Architect had actually moved out of the way. He felt Crimson’s foot connect with his chest, sending him falling back. His scales lessened the impact, but Spike knew he’d have a definite bruise later on.

Tail lashing harder, Spike ran at Crimson again, only for Crimson to pre-emptively launch his own attack, his left foot flying fast at Spike’s head.

Spike ducked, feeling the wind whistle past his ear. Reaching up, he grabbed hold of Crimson’s long pants, and pulled down, sending Crimson into a roll that twisted the fabric out of Spike’s claws. As Spike turned to face his opponent, Crimson fist lashed out and clipped his snout, forcing his head to snap back to the left.

Spike took his time to roll away, getting a little distance between them again, and shaking his head a little to clear it of the daze the blow to his face had triggered. When he was ready, he looked back up to see Crimson ready for him, back in the same stance he had been in the beginning.

Spike gritted his fangs, before getting an idea. He charged again, but this time, he skidded to a halt as Crimson kicked at him, waited for Crimson to be off balance and between moves, then jumped at him, opening his mouth and biting down hard on Crimson’s arm. Warm liquid rushed into his mouth, and Spike wanted to gag at the taste, as he had never particularly enjoyed bloody meats too much, on the rare occasion Twilight let him have meat at all. Spike wanted to let go, but he found his grip suddenly released and his head ringing, and hard dirt pressing against his back.

Crimson stood back up, looking at the bite mark on his forearm with mild concern. “Well done.” He said, simply, but the dragon was too discombobulated from a second punch to the head to respond in any way besides simple groaning.

“Ooof…that looked painful.” Static trotted up to Spike, shooting a frown at Crimson. She slid her hoof underneath Spike’s shoulder, just above his wings, and lifted him up into a sitting position. “Hey, you alright? How many feathers am I holding up?”

“Uh….” Spike squinted, shaking his head in an attempt to get his ears to stop ringing. “Three?”

Static nodded with a smile. “Okay, you’ll be fine. You’ll just have a killer headache for a while, that’s all.” She turned to Crimson, eyeing his bite wound. “You on the other hoof, need stitches.”

“I do not. It’ll be fine.” Crimson protested, his arm glistening red.

Static’s eyes narrowed dangerously. “Hospital, now.”

“Fine, no.” Crimson retorted.

Static’s arm darkened for a moment before a sword materialised in her hoof, and she held it menacingly at her side.

“Okay, okay, geez! I’m going!”

Static watched him go with a sten glare, before turning back to Spike and helping him stand. “Now, let’s get you some ice.”

**************************************************

“YOU DID WHAT?!” Twilight shrieked, staring in shock at Spike and Crimson, the two sheepishly rubbing the backs of the their heads as they nursed their injuries.

“Static and Crimson taught me how to fight….and I kinda bit Crimson when we fought for real….” Spike offered, his voice climbing higher as he reached the last few words.

“He did really well, you know.” Crimson said, hoping to mollify some of Twilight’s anger. He failed.

“WHO SAID YOU COULD TEACH HIM HOW TO FIGHT?!”

“He did…..” Crimson replied, wincing at the flames dancing across Twilight’s head in a towering inferno.

“AND WHY DID YOU THINK THAT HE WAS OLD ENOUGH TO MAKE THAT DECISION!?! HE’S SEVENTEEN!! HE’S STILL PRACTICALLY A BABY IN DRAGON YEARS!!!” Twilight thundered, getting dangerously close to the ear shattering level of the Royal Canterlot Voice. Her wings and nostrils were flared, and her horn was shooting out glowing embers in a veritable waterfall.

“He’ll never be able to defend himself-”

HE DOESN’T NEED TO KNOW HOW TO DEFEND HIMSELF!! HE’S GOT ME! AND ALL OF OUR FRIENDS!!” Twilight’s voice reverberated through the room, nearly blowing both Spike and Crimson into the far wall- a good five meters or so behind them.

Crimson raised hands in defense, trying to keep her from blowing him up. “Twilight, please, just hear me out.”

Twilight remained silent, but her flickering mane did calm down…..barely.

“You live a dangerous life, with dangerous enemies. Doesn’t it make sense for him to know how to defend himself, just in case you aren’t there to protect him?”

Twilight blinked, her mind simultaneously horrified at the implications of her not being there, and accepting of that simple truth. The flames burned lower and lower until she was finally just an ordinary, non-fiery pony again. She frowned, not out of anger, but instead out of a strange, contemplative sadness. “I…..I guess so….”

“Look, I’m not saying we should turn him into the greatest warrior that ever lived, I’m just saying he should be able to hold his own in sticky situations.” Crimson continued on. “And I’ll do my best not to go overboard, like I did today.”

Twilight was quiet, staring at the bite mark on Crimson’s arm, her gaze occasionally drifting across his chest, and the scars there. “Maybe….maybe you’re right. He should know how. We learned how, after all.” She perked up, still feeling more than a little agitated with the two of them. “Alright, keep training him. I want a proper schedule for this. A few hours a week.”

Crimson nodded in agreement. “I’ll ask Static to watch us, make sure nothing goes wrong.”

“Good. Also, you’re both grounded.”

“What?!”

“Awww, come on Twi!”

“Nope! You went behind my backs and started this, and while I admit you should learn, you still shouldn’t have done that! Now, go to your rooms, and think about what you’ve done.”

“My room’s at the Acres though…”

“Then you’d better start walking.”

Crimson bowed his head in deference, then started for the big double doors that led out of the map room. As he was leaving he turned back to Twilight with a grin. “Oh, by the way. You might want to stop trimming his claws.”

Twilight stared flatly at him for a little bit, before she swept her hoof into a pointing pose that was directed to the front door. “I’ll keep that in mind. Now out.”

****************************************