• Published 11th Jan 2019
  • 803 Views, 28 Comments

FiSA: Side Stories and Notes - Cordial Nova



Vignettes from elsewhere in the Friendship is Sufficiently Advanced universe

  • ...
0
 28
 803

4 Measuring the Magics

sparkle (n.): the unit of magical potency; devised in 60 Y.H. by Star Sparkle of House Twinkle, whose work with the Royal College in recovering the arcane knowledge lost during the Discordant Era and in laying the groundwork for the modern scientific conception of magic is well known and discussed extensively elsewhere.

(It is worth noting, for historical interest, that while the definition of the sparkle has been revised several times to reflect new knowledge and withstand more precise scrutiny, the original definition reflects both the limited knowledge available at that time and the early days of the scientific mindset: "One sparkle shall be equal to the average felt potency of eight stout unicorn mares not of distinctively clever extraction, found 'pon a street in Upper Canterlot, selected at random, neither of high breeding nor of mixed tribe within the last four generations, measured in the act of raising a bushel of well-sieved Cantervale oats to the height of the Solar Sister's left shoulder.")

Author's Note:

(Loosely inspired by this: Sparkle-Date Me .)