• Published 5th Jan 2019
  • 342 Views, 5 Comments

The Blackened Skies - gosha305



A strange dark haze covers the skies all around Equestria. Twilight and her friends set out to discover its nature. Will they find a way to stop it before it's too late?

  • ...
3
 5
 342

The Panic in Canterlot

Slightly stunned by their sudden stop, the duo turned their heads to observe the situation outside. And what they saw was all the opposite of what they hoped to see.

The city was in complete and utter chaos. Blazing fires were visible everywhere. Lucky houses that managed to survive this conflagration, were barricaded, their doors and windows were blocked by heavy planks attached to the structure with rusty nails that were visibly placed in a great hurry. In the anarchic streets, the poor inhabitants of this once great city, could be seen scavenging, some even got into violent confrontations because of their finds. Royal guards were desperately trying to calm the conflicts, but all their efforts were vain. Some guards even rejoined the pillaging or panic, surrendering their minds to the ambient hysteria. Terrified ponies could be seen peeking out of their fortified homes. Others, utterly consumed by all this frenzy, totally lost their mind and were screaming or crying amidst the ruins. Encompassed by this destruction, unlucky citizen lost their lives. Their mangled corpses could be remarked lying in the demented streets. This didn't resemble a welcoming arrival...

Shocked by the unsettling panorama, the horrifying image stuck in their unprepared brains, the two newcomers just sat there, unable to process the abrupt change of the formerly glorious capital of ponykind. Of course, revolts and general panic were to be expected after the Entity's grim speech, however none could have thought of such drastic changes in the ponies' behavior. How could have such a transformation occur in so little time? It was just as surprising as dreadful. In fact, none could have planned the outcome of an event as extreme the imminent destruction of the planet.

"What... What happened here?" asked Spike, his voice shaking.

This question remained here, suspended in the air, each word stuck in the heavy atmosphere as if the air has been replaced with glue. None possessed the answer to this inquiry, none except maybe... the Entity.

"I hope Princess Celestia has the situation in control..." muttered Twilight, then, understanding the absurdity of her own words added "at least more in control than what it looks like" She got up and started collecting her bags. "Well, I guess dwelling on the current state of the city won't help us. We should get moving,"

Rapidly nodding, Spike joined her in the preparation. Both remained silent, trying to wrap their heads around the problems before them.


Once all was ready, the expedition through the apocalyptic city could finally begin.

Marching amidst the scorched ruins, the pair advanced toward what once could be identified as the main square. The melted forms of building surrounded this area, making it seem awkwardly constrained. On the side of the road, in the midst of the ambient wreckage, the figures of two ponies could be noticed. One was lying on the dusty floor, motionless. The other was erratically crying, fresh tears falling on its deceased friend's body.

Turning her gaze away from this sorrowfully spine-chilling scene, Twilight tried to concentrate on her main goal: reach the castle and, eventually, put an end to all this.

Entering the grim center of the city, she saw a figure that was clearly distinguishable amidst all this chaos. On a slightly raised stage, fabricated from ambient garbage and assembled with pieces of semi-molten metal, the hooded shape of a pony was standing on its back hooves. Somehow, even in the middle of this anarchy, a group of other ponies quietly listened to its mysterious speech. Overtaken by curiosity, Twilight didn't find anything better than to get closer and try to hear what this figure was yelling to all this crowd.

"MY BROTHERS! I SEE THE COMPLETE DESTRUCTION RAINING UPON OUR LAND! WE DID NOT MERIT SUCH ABRUPT AND CRUEL END! THE ENTITY, AS WE CALL IT, IS A BEING OF GREAT WISDOM AND OF GREAT POWER! ITS ENDLESS MIGHT INFINITELY SURPASSES THAT OF OUR PRINCESSES! THOSE COWARDS, THEY ABANDONED US! THEY ARE THE CAUSE OF OUR DISMAY! WE SHOULD NOT REMAIN UNDER THEIR REIGN! JOIN ME, JOIN THE ENTITY AND YOUR LIFE WILL BE SPARED! BRING THE PRINCESSES AS OFFERING TO OUR NEW PROTECTOR! LET OUR WORLD BE SAVED!"

This... was problematic to say the least. As the mysterious pony had finished his speech, its audience diverted their attention from the platform. And as they did so, some noticed that their meeting had an unwanted witness: the Princess of Friendship.

"Run" was all Twilight had time to say before bolting as far from this place as she could. Spike hardly managed to keep up, but now really wasn't the time to fall apart. Traversing the ruined streets, more and more ponies remarking her presence, the purple Princess had only one idea on her mind: get to the castle.

Suddenly, a vague shadow, its contours imprecise because of the ambient fires and the strange celestial lighting, appeared on the soil beneath the panicked mare's hooves. Jerking her head up, Twilight saw several pegasi visibly chasing her. Remembering the existence of her own wings, the alicorn grabbed Spike and hurriedly got off the ground. Flight was clearly a faster mean of movement, as the distance separating her from the menacing pursuers started to increase.

Relieved by her rapid escape, Twilight lost a bit of her concentration. She sighed, heavily breathing... before abruptly colliding with a hard wall.

Once the pain and pulsing sensation in her head died out, sheer panic took its place. The angry mob of crazy ponies were going to catch up sacrificing her to their irrational deity! All of this, all her life was about to be lost in vain as their demented leader saw her helpless figure! All these horrific thoughts overtook her brain, when she suddenly realized that the wall with which she collided was nothing other than the castle's front door.

A new wave of relief washed upon her tired psyche. In her hurry, she somehow managed to reach such speeds she couldn't have expected from even Rainbow Dash. Thus reaching the palace in record times and surpassing her own calculations.

However, all these interesting thoughts were destined to be explored later, as the group of pegasi chasing her in the city became visible, their grim intentions unaltered.

Grasping the stunned figure of Spike, Twilight opened the door with her magic and entered Canterlot Castle. Hopefully, Celestia would be able to help...