• Published 5th Jan 2019
  • 343 Views, 5 Comments

The Blackened Skies - gosha305



A strange dark haze covers the skies all around Equestria. Twilight and her friends set out to discover its nature. Will they find a way to stop it before it's too late?

  • ...
3
 5
 343

Celestial Darkness

Author's Note:

This is a transition chapter (and honestly no one cares about transition chapters). However, I felt like it was still important enough to exist. A normal (and longer) chapter will come out the weekend.

Oh, by the way, most of this chapter is written from Celestia's point of view, so some ideas might not be true, but only seem true to her.

I hope you are going to enjoy this (and that someone actually reads this fanfic)!

Celestia was standing on her balcony, the warmth of her beautiful Sun, warming her skin as much as her thoughts. The Entity was gone for several days now, and this news seemed to rejoice every living creature in Equestria. However, it did not please the Sun Princess as much as the others. In fact, the constant speeches she had to deliver, the hordes of worried ponies that still came to visit her every single day, hoping for a clear explanation did nothing to make her comfortable. The problem was, that Celestia had no idea of what happened. She was at least as lost as the other ponies. She hoped that this villain was at least something familiar, but her hopes were probably vain.

Just this morning, a letter from Twilight arrived. Sombra had nothing to do with this Entity. Although this news was supposed to cheer the Sun Princess up, it had quite the opposite effect. If not Sombra, what was it? Her only hope now was the group going to Tirek's encounter. She would have never thought that Tirek's return would make her happy at some point of her life, but now, it was the case. At least, Tirek was a known enemy.

The questions that plagued her mind returned haunting her once more. What was this Entity? What did it want? If its intentions weren't good, how could it be stopped? Could it even be stopped? Thinking about all this, one question in particular come to her mind: Is there something worse than to be fighting against the unknown?... Yes... there is... To be fighting against a friend.

Suddenly, her melancholy was brutally interrupted. And this interruption came from the skies. IT was coming back. Why did all good things have to end so soon?

The black tendrils of smoky clouds reemerged from behind their sunnier counterparts. The starry blackness followed. Soon the Sun was gone as if it was never here in the first place. Its cosy glow was now replaced by the cold starlight of the Entity. Equestria's livelihood was gone in an instant and panic quickly took its place. Distraught citizens could be seen all around the town below. When Celestia managed to turn her gaze away from her terrified subjects, she saw that the sky reserved another surprise.

Gargantuan eyes were opening amidst the clouds. They were far more numerous. Unlike the first time, they weren't in a single spot. Now, they were scattered everywhere. All space above the Princess' head was swarming with these terrifying watchers. And their collective gaze was aimed right at her.

The feeling of being observed was very unsettling. No, it was unbearable. The only thought that the alicorn could master was : run. But she wasn't even able to do that. As if stuck in resin, her entire body was frozen in place. Comprehending that escape wasn't an option, Celestia just accepted her faith and prepared for the certain oblivion to come.

However, it never came. Instead, Celestia's thoughts were interrupted by a voice. A voice that wasn't hers but seemed to be coming right from her own mind. She recognized this voice. She only heard it once, but this was already enough. It was the Entity itself.

"Do not fear your doom, Princess. It will soon come, but now is not the time. Seeing you in such pitiful conditions is highly disappointing. I thought one should be brave to be ruling a kingdom. Perhaps I was mistaken. Your lack of courage is only surpassed by your inactivity. YOU will be the cause of your subjects' doom. Even your own student does more to prevent this. You merit nothing. I'll leave you here, useless and inactive. Despicable mortal..."

As the Entity's voice echoed inside Celestia's head, the truth of its words hit her like a train. What was she thinking? All of this was because of her. She should have been the first to act, the first to look for a way to stop this being. But she didn't... Now, bringing this disaster to an end was her duty. The time to act has come...