• Published 5th Jan 2019
  • 342 Views, 5 Comments

The Blackened Skies - gosha305



A strange dark haze covers the skies all around Equestria. Twilight and her friends set out to discover its nature. Will they find a way to stop it before it's too late?

  • ...
3
 5
 342

On the Road Again

Sitting here, watching the strange projection before them, none of the shocked ponies could bring herself to speak. The two events that just occurred brought contradicted feelings to their hearts, but this paradox did nothing to help them recover. Thus, too stunned to move, they remained for several long minutes passed before finally, one decided to break the now solidly established silence.

"That's better than what I expected..." muttered Twilight to herself. However, the complete lack of any other sound, amplified these words, making them audible to everypony else.

Heckled by Twilight's words, the group's stun was now broken. A collective "What?!" echoed around the cave, expelling the awkward silence completely.

Understanding that a clarification was now required, Twilight tried to explain her relief.

"Well, at least, now we don't have to fear that the Elements won't work." she stated "And in addition, the fact the Entity hid the Elements away means it actually fears them. I rather prefer that, to suddenly discovering that our best weapon doesn't affect our enemy in any way."

"But now, we have to walk again!" complained Rainbow Dash, extremely annoyed "Why does defeating this thing require so much walking?!"

Her protest was however politely ignored, as another more important question arose. "But what if this thing just moves the Elements away whenever we get close enough?" asked Applejack, quizzically frowning.

"I guess the only way to find out is to try to find them again." replied Twilight, thoughtfully staring at the blackened skies.

As no better plan could be invented, yet another journey was about to begin. The path they would take was decided, traversing a part of the Everfree Forest, it continued, meandering through the plains and timbers, crossing the Whitetail Woods and terminating somewhere at the feet of the Smoky Mountains. The only thing left to do now was to follow it.


Once again, they quit the cave of Harmony, exiting its welcoming light and continued their way through the malicious forest. This section of the cursed woodland was even worse. Numerous vines crossed the narrow passage, making any progress slow and sometimes painful. Several low-hanging branches of the sectarian trees were covered with sharp spikes, menacing to gravely wound anypony careless enough to come in contact with their acute surface. Others, had horrid liquids trickling from their wrinkled bark, emitting indescribably putrid vapors. On the rotten ground, alien plants grew and bloomed, their estranged flowers sometimes possessing carnivorous features.

Animals were as absent as before in this part of the forest. However, whether their lack was caused by the Entity or the extremely unwelcoming local flora was yet to be discovered.

At last, the sky made its reappearance, once again distinguishable through the thick leaves. The trees themselves became less atrocious, exchanging their threatening defense for a much simpler look. They also became rarer, letting the ponies travel at a quicker rate.

Finally, the timber disappeared completely, giving once again place to an endless plain. Here, a lot of progress could be made. Traveling became easier, thus letting the group of friends relax. New conversations came to life, their minds finally free from the Forest's demoralizing influence.

"I wonder if the situation in Canterlot got any better." said Twilight to nopony in particular.

"I'm sure the Royal sisters have the situation under control now that they are together again!" replied Rarity, filled with the cheer.

"I could write them a letter if you're worried." intervened the purple drake.

"Thanks Spike, but I don't think it will be necessary." responded Twilight, looking at the dragon with grateful eyes "I wouldn't want to disturb them. I guess if they had an actual problem, they could have sent us a letter themselves."

"That makes me think about those crazy ponies trying to chase us." declared Rainbow Dash "I hope we won't have to deal with them anymore."


Continuing to talk, they saw yet another forest approaching. This one however, was all the opposite of the Everfree. Its young trees with thin trunks and branches somehow managed to appear welcoming even in the Entity's gloomy light. Their leaves, affected by the lack of sunlight, hang, staying a sad reminder of the effects that this evil being had on Equestria's unprepared nature. The youthful branches refused entangling with one another, leaving to the forest's floor a direct view at the sky. Around the large path that lead through these woods small bushes grew, covered with delicious berries, inviting any passer-by to taste their appetizing flavor.

Progressing through this lovely forest, something new became visible at the horizon. Snow-covered peaks arose from the distance, presenting their sharp cliffs to the ponies' sight. Numerous caves, resembling holes in cheese, were remarkable all around those mountains, doubtlessly being the homes of a diversity of alpine creatures.

At this sight, a new question arose: where in this immense labyrinth of high peaks and profound gorges could the Elements be hiding?...