• Published 5th Jan 2019
  • 343 Views, 5 Comments

The Blackened Skies - gosha305



A strange dark haze covers the skies all around Equestria. Twilight and her friends set out to discover its nature. Will they find a way to stop it before it's too late?

  • ...
3
 5
 343

A Chaotic End...

Travel wasn't a very hard task in the chaos realm. The group of friends rapidly advanced, jumping from one island to another, sometimes making bridges and stairs appear out of nowhere to traverse a bottomless pit or a steep mountain. But it wasn't the travel itself that was problematic. Orientation however, happened to be a far harder challenge to overcome. Indeed, they sometimes went into one direction for long hours, just to suddenly discover that the islands' constant rearrangement somehow managed to make them move in the opposite direction from their goal. In addition, the lack of distinct landmarks made locating their current position and keeping track of progress nearly impossible even with the help of their map.

But despite all the difficulties and setbacks, they were now approaching their goal. Several hundred yards away, a small cottage could be seen. And there was no doubt to be had about who was the owner of this cosy habitation. Even the surrounding islands didn't look alike to the rest. Here, up-flowing cascades and endless staircases were much more common than in the rest of this realm. For example, the island just before them was home to a large tree. This tree however was all but normal, since its branches were buried under the ground, the roots taking their place in the open air.

Walking upon a wooden bridge in the form of a Penrose Triangle, the group slowly made their way towards the small house, incessantly looking around in search of the Lord of Chaos. However, the latter seemed to be missing from the place, the home's windows only revealing reversed furniture and sapient flatware on the inside. Trying to get in brought no results either, the door being firmly locked by powerful magic.


"Discord! Where are you?" called out Fluttershy, her voice bearing worry in addition to the general annoyance.

"Maybe he already went to the normal word to help." proposed Spike.

"And maybe he already failed..." added Twilight in a bitter whisper.

Rarity wasted no time, immediately trying to comfort the desperate mare "Oh, darling don't dramatize like that! He probably just... went to... relax a bit. Isn't this place wonderful to spending time outside!"

"Oh, come on! We come to visit him at his own home for once, and he isn't even here!" shouted Rainbow Dash "We can't just wait for him, we're running out of time!"

"Hey girls!" called out Pinkie Pie, looking somewhere behind the house "I think I found him!"

Rapidly rejoining the pink pony, quite an unusual sight appeared before the friends' eyes. Discord, Lord of Chaos, Serpent of Mischief, former Spreader of Disharmony just lied here taking a sun bath. A miniature Sun orbiting around his head, a tanning mirror in his claws, the Draconequus' facial expression was the definition of calm and peace. If it wasn't for the extreme urgency of the situation at hoof, the ponies wouldn't even have considered shattering such idyllic serenity. However, this was not the time to contemplate. It was the time to act!


Approaching the drowsy deity, Rainbow Dash wasted no time, immediately rushing towards him.

"Wake up, Discord!" she uttered "We need your help!"

This sudden awakening startling the draconequus, the little Sun floating around his head got out of orbit and slowly flew off into the distance "What...? Who...?" Discord looked very confused "How did you all get here?"

"Oh, we just used the physically thaumatic disturbance caused by the transdimensional displacement of the chaotic mana in order to create a multidimensional gateway to this place." immediately responded Twilight "Nothing too complicated, really!"

"Yeah, so you went through a portal. No one has done that for countless millennia!" he looked lost in his memories for a second "But why did you go through so much trouble to... meet me?"

"Well, we didn't really have the choice." hesitatingly replied Twilight, images of the foggish sky and the ruined city arising in her brain "You might be the only one able to save Equestria from its current enemy."

"This sure does sound like you, ponies, only visiting me for help, never coming for tea or just to chat. Such rudeness!" exclaimed Discord, theatrically. The added "Of course I'm not talking about you Fluttershy."

"Maybe if you didn't live in another dimension, we'd be able to see you more often!" remarked Rainbow Dash.

"Let's not get off topic!" intervened Starlight "The task before us is still far from easy."

"OK then, let me beat this puny villain, so that I can save the world and continue my much-needed rest!" asserted the draconequus, extremely annoyed.

With a snap of his fingers, a portal much alike to the one they took in order to get here appeared just next to the group. Without further ado, they stepped inside, all hoping for this adventure to finally end.


After some time in the dimensionless tunnel, all emerged at its Equestrian extremity. They were now on a small hill next to the Canterlot Castle, the imposing building largely towering over them. Discord had apparently already arrived. However, as he saw the Celestial darkness, the annoyed and confident expression on his face faded away, shock and fear taking their place. He didn't expect that to be his enemy, but once again, this alien being somehow looked familiar to him...

"Where is Celestia?" he suddenly asked, turning away from the sky and facing the ponies one again.


However, before anyone could answer, a loud crack echoed from one of the castle's higher rooms. Then, an even louder hum filled the atmosphere, blueish crackles appearing on objects' edges. Suddenly, a bright glow took hold of Discord, lifting him into the air and only becoming brighter with each second. Multicolored lightnings emanated from its epicenter, striking the Castle's walls and seemingly trying to reach its higher stages. A wispy sphere of unknown origin and matter arose from the blazing chaos, slowly ascending and drifting away, its form losing clearness and soon desegregating entirely.

Observing this spectacle, the ponies were frozen in place, both by fear and by the magical phenomenon itself. Some turned their eyes to the sky, others to the castle. As for Twilight, her glance couldn't be separated from this incomprehensible event. What was happening? How could they stop this? Was Discord alright? Was their only hope lost?


When the light encompassed him, paralyzing both his muscles and magic, a feeling Discord didn't feel in centuries came back to his mind. Helpless. It was all he was. There was nothing he was able to do. He couldn't scream, he couldn't fight, he couldn't even flee. Nothing. Little by little, the thaumatic energy escaped his body. The light absorbed it, carrying away every ounce of magic that his almighty frame contained. Weakness. A feeling he has never experienced washed upon him as a devastating tsunami.

But even when his power left him, the siphoning process didn't stop. As a voracious leech, the unknown force still wasn't satiated. The light dug into all the Draconequus' strength, and once even that didn't suffice, the very essence of his life. Slowly, sentience left Discord's body, leaving behind only an empty husk. The Lord of Chaos too, has failed...

Author's Note:

I drew a new cover image, I hope you like it (because I certainly enjoyed doing it).

Also, I think the next chapter should be the last (if I don't end up splitting it into two). However, I probably won't be able to write it until next weekend. So, be patient as you all were despite the never-ending delay and my general laziness.