• Published 26th Dec 2018
  • 1,672 Views, 103 Comments

Alternative Origins - TalkingToMyself



A young Sunset Shimmer is sent to uncover the secrets of the forgotten Crystal Empire. During her journey to the frozen north, she finds something very unexpected that might change everything.

  • ...
2
 103
 1,672

Chapter 27

As soon as Sunset arrived home, she stormed into her bedroom and slammed every door shut behind her. It was only three weeks into the semester, but she was already sick of high school. All she got from her classes was basic education, despite the fact that she had chosen advanced classes in every subject. Sure, human history classes actually taught her something new each time, but why waste energy on learning names of unimportant humans and dates of irrelevant events? As soon as she had gathered enough power, she would leave this pathetic world anyways. And the things this school tried to teach her as 'Advanced Algebra' was foals play compared to what she had mastered before she even left magic kindergarten.

Of course, that wasn't the most infuriating thing. Even though Sunset could answer any questions from the teachers and was clearly the most intelligent student in any of her classes, her teachers barely acknowledged her. They would even reprimand her when she pointed out the obvious mistakes the other students made.

The worst however was Princess Celestia. She was still playing the role of high school principal and treated everyone around her overly friendly, especially Sunset. Not matter how many hints Sunset dropped, Princess Celestia just ignored them all and tried to get her interested in high school life instead. Today, after she had another loud argument with another teacher, Celestia even had the gull to act worried. She had offered her help to Sunset, as if she was just some run-of-the-mill student that needed her hoof held because she switched schools. Even though she was a princess, who did she think she was talking to? Sunset Shimmer didn't need any help from nopony, and most of all not for something as stupid as human high school.

When Celestia told her that she would have the see the guidance counsellor, Sunset was glad she didn't have her magic in this world, or else she would burnt down the whole school and everypony inside as well.

As soon as she had tossed her book bag away from her with a frustrated yell, the next of her problems showed up, as if scheduled. Crystal Note poked her head inside the room and from the look on her face, she was both worried and scared

“Sunset Shimmer? Is everything alright?”

With another frustrated groan, Sunset threw herself on the bed just so she could glare at Crystal Note

“Do I look like I’m alright?”

She tossed one of the pillows towards her, but despite her mental command to hit the mare in the face, the pillow barely made any distance from her weak throw and fell on the floor. That was just enough to get Sunset screaming again

“Ugh, I hate this place! How can these stupid bipedal monkeys do anything without magic?”

Crystal Note stepped inside and picked up the pillow from the floor. Sunset watched her and couldn’t understand how she was doing this. Crystal Note crouched down, leaned forward without even struggling for balance and easily plucked up the pillow with her hands. It didn’t take much more than a flick of her arm and the pillow landed back on the bed, next to the others. It was infuriating how easy Crystal Note made this look.

“Did something happen at school that bothered you, Sunset Shimmer?”

Crystal Note whispered quietly and completely ignored Sunset’s outburst. Sunset took a deep breath and forced herself to calm down again. Crystal Note knew her well enough by now so there was no point in denying anything

“They had a math quiz today and it was an utter disaster.”

“Oh? Did you not know the answers?”

Sunset glared at Crystal Note with her usual fire

“Of course I knew everything! It took me less than five minutes to finish, but that stupid stuck-up mule of a teacher said he won’t accept my answers unless I write them down, like everypony else.”

“Everybody else.”

Sunset gritted her teeth as Crystal Note corrected her

“WHATEVER! Point is, I know all the answers and therefore I deserve a top grade! Instead, he said he would make me take the test again.”

Crystal Note stayed quiet for a moment and waited for Sunset to calm down again, but it didn’t help much since her next question had her all worked up again

“If you knew the answers, why didn’t you just write them down?”

“Augh, you don’t get it either! How am I supposed to write without my magic?”

Crystal Note rolled her eyes

“You could write with your hands, like everybody else does, Sunset Shimmer.”

This time, the pillow Sunset threw hit its mark, along with another frustrated yell

“I’m not like them! And I won’t fall back to their primitive methods!”

Crystal Note just sighed deeply and shook her head

“Sunset Shimmer, I’ve seen earth ponies in the palace write without magic. Aren’t you blowing this out of proportion over nothing?”

“Oh, shut up. You’re not a unicorn, you can’t understand it.”

“I don’t understand? I think it’s you who doesn’t get what’s going on here.”

Sunset looked up at Crystal Note who now stood by the bed, towering over her with a frown

“I’ve been transformed by the portal just like you! We’ve been in this world for almost two months now and only the stars know how much longer we’ll be trapped here! But you haven’t done anything to fit in, you just complain all day long.”

Sunset knew that Crystal Note had to be quite upset when she was saying so much. It seemed like that even the former crystal pony with her near limitless patience reached her breaking point in this world.

Sadly though, Sunset’s anger and pride didn’t let her come to this conclusion until much later, so in the moment, all she did was yell

“I’m just complaining? Without me, you wouldn’t even have this home we’re living in! I turned our bits into money and got us paperwork and everything!”

She tried to shove Crystal Note, but standing up so quickly left her unsteady on her feet, so instead Crystal Note reached out and held her at the shoulder so she wouldn’t fall over. She looked at Sunset and even though her eyes weren’t shaped like crystals anymore, Sunset recognized that hard expression from Crystal Note

“You only knew we needed papers from what I told you and the wallet I found.”

“Oh yeah? Who spent days in a library figuring out this weird new world, while you were playing in the park?”

Sunset’s glare couldn’t break Crystal Note’s hard eyes this time

“You only learned of the library because I asked the humans about it. And the money I earned with playing my music got you your first warm meal in this world.”

“So what? You did your stupid thing while I did all the heavy lifting!”

Crystal Note suddenly pulled back her hands, and Sunset lost her balance. She flopped down to sitting on the bed, still glaring

“I never said you didn’t, Sunset Shimmer. What I’m trying to say is, we’re in this together. This place is strange and since we don’t know how long we have to stay, we need to work together. That means you have to listen to me as well, sometimes.”

This was just so rich coming from Crystal Note that Sunset could only laugh

“Why should I listen to you? You were clueless when you followed me around at home and you can’t even read!”

“And you can’t even write, despite of how smart you’re supposed to be!”

“I can write!”

At this, Crystal Note headed to Sunset’s desk and grabbed a notebook, along with a pen. She flung the notebook in Sunset’s lap and held the pen out for her

“Prove it! Now!”

Sunset gritted her teeth in anger and snatched the pen out of Crystal Note’s hand. After a minute or so of trying to get the right grip on it, she drew a few crude lines on the paper. With some imagination, they might pass as letters.

Crystal Note just rolled her eyes and pulled the pen out of Sunset’s clumsy grip. Sunset watched with blank surprise as the pen moved fluently across the paper and when it pulled back, she could clearly read the words.

Hello, my name is Crystal Note.
It was one of the exercises Crystal Note had learned back in the palace during her lessons. Sunset just stared up at her, anger now replaced by surprise

“How can you do this?”

“I practised, Sunset Shimmer.”

Sunset just kept staring, and Crystal Note had some sort of smirk on her face

“What do you think I’m doing when you’re at school? If we don’t want the humans to get suspicious, we need to fit in.”

She was even twirling the pen in her fingers like Sunset had seen from other students. How could she do this when Sunset couldn’t even hold it right? Frustrated, she batted the pen out of Crystal Note’s hand and yelled again

“I don’t need to fit in! I’m Princess Celestia’s most talented student and…”

“And it’s worth nothing in this world! Don’t you get it? It doesn’t matter who you were in Equestria, here we are just normal humans. You have to accept that, Sunset Shimmer.”

“I won’t!”

Sunset stood up again, hands balled to fists and trembling with rage

“I won’t accept this! Not with Princess Celestia playing principal at my school and mocking me every day!”

Crystal Note sighed and took a step away from Sunset

“So this is what it’s all about. Sunset, whoever she is, she can’t be the princess.”

“She is! This is just one of her stupid plans to get me back!”

Sunset’s voice was trembling now as well and suddenly, Crystal Note looked worried again

“Sunset Shimmer, please stop. You can’t really believe this.”

Sunset just shook her head and pressed her eyes shut. Suddenly, there were tears building up in her eyes, born out of frustration but also desperation. She’d been trying for weeks but Princess Celestia just ignored her. She knew the Princess was not a cruel pony, so why would she let Sunset suffer like this for so long?

While Sunset tried her best not to cry, Crystal Note whispered in a now eerily calm voice

“I saw Miss Dusty today.”

Blinking her tears away, Sunset stared at Crystal Note

“She’s here too? But why?”

“No. She’s not. Because… because she’s not the pony I met in the palace.”

Sunset didn’t understand, so Crystal Note tried to explain

“She looks like Dusty, she sounds like her. She has her name and she even has the same family. But she’s not the Dusty from Equestria. I talked with her, and some things… they just didn’t add up. She’s similar but not the same. And she’s not a pony and she’s never been a pony. She was laughing at me when I asked her.”

At this, Sunset just shook her head again

“Of course she didn’t tell you. It’s all part of Princess Celestia’s plan.”

“And what plan would that be? Why would the princess bring a chambermaid with her, out of all ponies? It doesn’t make any sense.”

“She’s just trying to confuse us. It’s all part of some bigger plan.”

“No it’s not. It’s not part of her plan, because there is no plan, Sunset Shimmer. The Dusty I met is not the same. She’s always been a human in this world.”

Sunset kept shaking her head

“But… but… but that would mean…”

She didn’t finish, because she didn’t know what to say, but Crystal Note did

“They are all just humans, even if they look like ponies you might know.”

“No. NO! That can’t be true! That would mean, the principal is not…”

“Whoever she is, she’s not her. Princess Celestia is still back in Equestria, while we ended up here.”

Sunset suddenly felt dizzy and dropped to her knees, but the world kept spinning. She is still back in Equestria. She tried to breathe, but somehow she couldn’t. She never came after me. She never tried to get me back. The next breath shook through her whole body and sounded dangerously like a sob. She left me here. She left me here to rot. She doesn’t care what happens to me. Another sob, and angry tears this time How could she? How could she do this to me? Who does she think she is?

Sunset never noticed that Crystal Note had left her room at some point. Instead, once the red cloud of anger faded, her eyes fell on the pen that had dropped on the floor. Just seeing it made Sunset grit her teeth again

“You think I can't do this? You think this will hold me back? I'll show you Princess! I'll show everpony who ever doubted me!”

Angry, but determined, Sunset grabbed the pen with her hand. She picked up the discarded notebook and ripped out the page Crystal Note had written on. She tried to mimic the grip she'd seen from the other students and started to write, just the first thing that came to her mind.

The art of transfiguration is built up on five main theorems that lay down the ground rules of every transformative magic. The first law, named after the great wizard Sun Stone, explains the transfer of mass and size in correlation to the magical conductivity of said object. Sun Stone's law states that...

As Sunset Shimmer scribbled down what she remembered from her magic textbooks, her fingers flexed a little more. Soon, she could hold the pen without strain and write faster. At the end of the second page, her writing was nearly readable again.

She kept writing in a fury, filling page after page of the notebook. After ten pages, her words stood clear enough on the paper to read. After ten more pages, she was almost back at the sharp script she had with a quill and her magic. When the notebook finally ran out of pages, she smirked and twirled the pen in her fingers, like Crystal Note had. Her eyes fell on her book bag and she pulled out some of her homework. It was laughably easy and after less than an hour, she was finished. Her words stood bold on the paper and each letter was straight andclear, in perfect penmanship.

She smirk grew into a sneer. You think this will hold me back? This is just the beginning. I'll show you, Princess, you and your human wannabe. I'll show you all. This world will soon tremble when they hear the name Sunset Shimmer.