• Published 26th Dec 2018
  • 1,672 Views, 103 Comments

Alternative Origins - TalkingToMyself



A young Sunset Shimmer is sent to uncover the secrets of the forgotten Crystal Empire. During her journey to the frozen north, she finds something very unexpected that might change everything.

  • ...
2
 103
 1,672

Chapter 25

Sunset weaved her way through the crowd of odd creatures towards the far end of town square. The fact that she has been a ‘human’ herself for three days now didn’t make them any less odd.

When she first arrived in this world, she immediately noticed the lack of magic, in both herself and the world around her. She couldn’t even evoke a simple levitation spell and her magic senses were blind and mute. The only thing that gave off a little magic was the portal. Sunset and Crystal Note had stayed close to it, both in fear and in hope that Princess Celestia might come after them, but after three days, the portal had closed without another passage through.

For better or worse, they were stuck in this world for the next thirty moons.

Crystal Note had learned to deal with her new body more quickly than Sunset Shimmer. She could already walk safely and swiftly on two legs and her fingers and hands did what she wanted them to do. Sunset’s theory was that Crystal Note didn’t have to translate unicorn magic into new limbs, so it would be easier for her.

Crystal Note had also been the one to get in contact with the humans. The first important things, she had learned by talking to some young kids who didn’t suspect anything from questions like “What are hands?” and “How do you walk fast without running into each other?”

After that, Sunset’s scientific mind had taken over, with many observations and conclusions.

They were in a city called Canterlot, even if it was nothing like the real Canterlot they both knew. There was no princess or count or anypony ‘ruling’ this city, but there was a mayor and elected representatives. They didn’t have much contact with the common ‘people’ (which was the plural humans used for themselves), so Sunset and Crystal Note were not in danger of getting arrested for political reasons. The only magic these humans knew came from ‘fantasy’ literature or ‘movies’, so nobody expected them to be ponies in the first place. Sunset didn’t know if this was a clever plan by Starswirl the Bearded to fit in, or if that was one of the traits the portal just did by itself.

While they weren’t in any imminent danger, there were some problems. Their bits weren’t worth anything around here, so they could not buy food or rent a room to stay. The first three nights, they had spent in an empty, run-down building they were lucky enough to find. Crystal Note had managed to beg for some local currency, green pieces of paper they humans called ‘dollars’. It had not been enough to get anywhere, but enough for a hot meal at least.

Luckily, Sunset could read the local language (Crystal Note only understood bits and pieces), and found a library. She couldn’t use the memorization spell anymore, but she was still able to absorb vast amounts of information in a short period of time. Meanwhile, Crystal Note obtained more dollars, with her violin. As it turned out, she could still play it, even with fingers and hands instead of hooves. When Sunset asked her how, she had said, “I don’t know, it just works somehow.”

Now on their fourth day as humans, they were getting closer to the point where the run-down building wouldn’t be safe any longer. Sunset knew by now that they were considered ‘teenagers’ and not adults, so it was only a matter of time before someone would get suspicious about two minors running around on their own all the time. Luckily, there was some hope.

Sunset had learned that while her bits were useless as currency, they were made of pure gold, which was very valuable. They just had to sell it at the right place and money would no longer be a problem.

She found Crystal Note at her usual spot with her violin and frowned. She was talking to a police officer. That could be a problem. She was about to intervene, but something about Crystal Note’s body language had her hesitate. She seemed calm enough and her expression was innocent as she talked to the officer. Sunset sneaked closer without gaining any attention and overheard what she was saying

“I only came here a couple of days ago. I just wanted to share some music with everyone and I noticed that many people passed through here. I’m really sorry if that’s a problem.”

Sunset smirked and the police officer scratched his head, clearly he wasn’t going to deal with a minor who made an innocent mistake

“Well, okay young miss. It’s not like you break any law by playing here, but you should ask your parents for permission first next time.”

“Yes Sir. I’ll keep it in mind, I promise.”

With that, the officer made his way and Sunset approached Crystal Note once he was away far enough

“What was that all about?”

“He got curious because I’m here all on my own. Apparently, ‘minors’ aren’t supposed to play for money without supervision. And he asked for my ID, but I don’t have one.”

“Yeah, we need some ID and papers in the long run. I don’t know where to get them yet, though.”

Crystal Note nodded and looked left and right, before she pulled something out of her pocket. She had long accepted that clothes were the normality around this place

“Maybe this might help.”

Sunset opened her eyes wide when Crystal Note produced a wallet. Apparently, she had been an accomplished thief back in the Crystal Empire, but in Celestia’s palace, she had not needed to steal anything. Back in this harsh environment, her neglected skills surfaced again.

Sunset took the wallet and scanned its content. She found 250 dollars, a few coupons, an old bus ticket and lots of ID-cards, like a social security card and something called a motorcycle licence. Sadly, either most of them had a name imprinted or even a picture of the human, but still at least now, they had some templates.

They went to the fast food place that had given them their first meal and made some plans over some fries. Lucky for them, Crystal Note had quickly learned that most of the food humans ate contained meat of dead pigs or cows. After nearly throwing up, they had learned to look out for the word ‘vegetarian’ on their food. Potato fries were nowhere as good as hay fries, but for now, they were acceptable.

With their new windfall of money, a clear idea what IDs they would need and a chance to obtain more money with their bits, they hatched a few plans. Well, Sunset hatched the plans and Crystal Note listened attentively to learn what she had to do.


Some weeks later and their situation had changed drastically. With only a few of their bits, they had made a small fortune on the ‘black market’, enough to get them both the necessary papers to avoid any pesky questions.

With new IDs, they now could afford an apartment. It was in one of the cheaper parts of town, but it belonged to them (after some sob story about their parents’ death, which may or may not be true considering the amount of details Crystal Note would contribute to the story) and nopony would pester them about it. They still had a large number of bits left and now had some backstories for themselves.

Crystal Note, who looked older in this world than Sunset, was the elder sibling who took care after her younger sister, now that their parents were deceased. Crystal Note’s ID said she was 21 years old and by that old enough to be Sunset’s official guardian. Sunset was the prodigy child and very intelligent, so she would now look for some kind of education while her ‘big sister’ would work (or rather handle the large amount of money their parents left them behind).

There were two reasons why this plan was a stroke of genius. First, it would allow Sunset Shimmer to gain access to more knowledge without gathering any negative attention. Nopony would expect that her ‘studies’ were in fact research on a completely new species and world. Second, she could keep a close look at the portal. The statue that was the portal back to Equestria turned out to belong to a local school called Canterlot High School, which was perfect for Sunset’s plans. She soon enrolled and as expected didn’t run into any trouble with her faked papers.

Crystal Note asked about enrolling as well, but Sunset didn’t agree as it would ‘blow their cover’. Also, Crystal Note was far more useful as a source of income, even if Sunset never said this out loud. Plus, it would be hard for Crystal Note to enrol into higher education when she couldn’t even read fluently.

So at the start of the next week, Sunset Shimmer would be the newest student at Canterlot High School.


Sunset was fuming when she came back to their home. How? How did she do it? Why does she have to mock me like this?

She was of course Princess Celestia. She had somehow made the transition into this world as well and had taken over CHS as the principal. Not only that, but she had also mastered the human culture effortlessly and behaved perfectly normal. But most infuriating of all, she had seen Sunset Shimmer and just acted like she didn’t even know her. Like Sunset was just any run-of-the-mill transfer student and not her most talented student ever. What does she gain from acting like this? Is this all just some scheme to teach me that I’m still not ready?

Sunset would show her. She couldn’t talk about Equestria openly at the school, the humans would think she was crazy. But she would prove to Princess Celestia that she was ready. She would show her that she could even strife in a completely different world in a body that wasn’t hers. She would show her how smart and capable she was, even without magic.

As soon as their introduction was done, Sunset enrolled in all the advanced classes CHS had to offer. She didn’t care much about clubs or after-school activities. She didn’t care that all her teachers warned her that she was overworking herself or trying too hard.

She would show her. She would make Princess Celestia see that she was worthy and ready to be a princess. And once she had done that, Princess Celestia would have no chance but to take her back home and make her an alicorn.