• Published 24th Jan 2020
  • 2,535 Views, 35 Comments

First Second Chances - ninjanaut1000



Chrysalis is tired. Tired of running, Tired of failing, Tired of starving. Pushing her luck, She hopes the ponies that she wronged will forgive her. She just wasn't expecting a Bipedal being to find her first.

  • ...
9
 35
 2,535

CH. 1.5 ᓭᒷꖎ⎓-╎リℸ ̣ ∷𝙹ᓭ!¡ᒷᓵℸ ̣ ╎𝙹リ

"Hello? Is Anyone There?"

A light rain began to fall. The sound of soft pattering of rain mixed with the crunches of snow that compacted under hoof filled the air. Ears swiveled and twitched as sound met eardrum. The Everfree forest stretched on in every direction with no distinguishing features. There was a strange feeling in the air, one she couldn't place, so she chose to ignore it. She kept walking for what seemed like hours before coming across a clearing with a strange bone white tree. An unknown comforting familiarity washed over her as she got closer. What made it stranger was its absence of leaves and its very faint light pink, almost white, ethereal glow across the smooth bark. Her body wracked with shivers as the wind blew. An electrical tingle danced across her back, a feeling one would get with the feeling of being watched. The falling rain changed to snow pattering her back and sides, the sensation drew her attention away from that tingle. A faint crack met her ears.

"Failure..."

"What? HELLO? Could you repeat that? Who's there?" She spun in place before trotting away from the strange tree.

"Failure..." A dark figure moved out of her periphery and behind a nearby tree.

"WAIT!" Oblivious to what it said as she rounded the tree only to find no one there.

"Over here..." She spun around only to barely catch sight of the dark figure from before dart back around another tree.

"No...over here!" She spun again.

"Ooo, Too slow." The figure said playfully while just as quickly disappearing. Thunder rolled across the sky as it started to grow darker. The outer edges of the clearing near the strange tree starting to become sickly looking as time progressed.

"BEHIND YOU!" She spun to come face to face with a snarling Queen Chrysalis. Lightning flashed across the sky with a deafening thunderclap. The ground vibrating with the intensity of the sound. Dropping to the ground, She back pedaled into a tree. A futile attempt to get away.

"Pathetic, Absolutely fucking pathetic you are."

"No I'm not!" The mare stomped her hoof against the ground.

"I'm not the one on deaths doorstep dumb-ass. Such a waste of a changeling." She tittered, "You should have been crushed as a grub. Then the changelings could have had a better ruler to put those ponies in there place."

"Wha-?"

"faust. you're both pathetic... and stupid. No wonder why you're almost dead." Queen Chrysalis cut in before the mare could finish her sentence.

"What? No I'm not. How could III be dying, I'm standing right here perfectly fine."

"What, You mean you don't know? And you even look like a disgusting pony too. How quaint." Queen Chrysalis let out a devious chuckle.

"Know about what? That you had failed many invasions. Most of those at the hooves of the element bearers."

"No. It was you who failed, I'm what you could have been. But instead of crushing your enemies, you're licking their hooves just so you can keep your pitiful existence."

"That's not true. I realized my mistakes. I sought to right them."

"LIES AND DECEIT!" The mad Queen grabbed her and threw her into a near by tree, "YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A MONSTER TO THEM! SO TOSS AWAY THAT STUPID NOTION AND REALIZE WHO YOU ARE MEANT TO BE!"

She got up and threw all manner of spells at the Queen, all of them having no effect, before running away.

"OOOO, SO you want to play a game I see. I suppose I could lower myself to your level for a moment. I could go for a round of Seek and Destroy!" Queen Chrysalis let out a maniacal cackle before chasing after the mare. Blasts of magic and startled yelps filled the air as the mare ran. Soon the bolts of magic stopped flying and the sound of her heavy breathing filled the air. A light rain began to fall as she crept around, ears flicking around at any sound loud enough to pick up.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" The mares head flicked over in the direction of the new voice. Crouching low, she crept forward in case it happened to be a trap by Queen Chrysalis. Poking her head around a tree she saw another mare. Said mare started to unknowingly move in the direction of that strange tree. She stood up and quietly stalked the mare. She had a teal mane and a lighter green fur. She looked awfully familiar, but couldn't place why. It wasn't long before the mare came across the clearing and tree. The light green mare got close to examine it. Chrysalis went to reposition herself to get a better angle but that was quickly cut short as a twig snapped under hoof.

"What? HELLO? Who's there?" The mare spun in place before moving away from the bone white tree. In an attempt to not be discovered Chrysalis moved behind the closest tree before doing a quick teleport away.

"WAIT!" The mare rounded the tree she was just at before.

"Over here..." Chrysalis swore under her breath. The other Chrysalis was back. The mare spun in the direction of Chrysalis. Chrysalis's eyes bugged out and she darted behind the nearest tree.

"No...over here!" She spun again and Chrysalis Teleported again.

"Ooo, Too slow." The other Chrysalis said playfully, Taunting the other mare. While the other Chrysalis Frustratingly teleported again. Chrysalis watched as the sky grew darker and the ground around the clearing grew a sickly shade of black. Thunder rolled across the sky in a low rumble. While focused on the sky and not paying attention to her teleports anymore, Chrysalis was oblivious to the fact she teleported right behind the mare.

"BEHIND YOU!" The mare spun, only to come face to face with Chrysalis. Lightning flashed across the sky with a deafening thunderclap.

"Queen Chrysalis!" She dropped to the ground while desperately trying to get away.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you," Chrysalis crouched down to make herself look smaller, "You're Pathetic, Absolutely fucking pathetic you are!" Wait, that wasn't me. Shit. So that's how its going to be.

"No I'm not!"

"Don't Listen to her! I'm not the one on deaths doorstep. Don't Listen to her Damn it! Focus on me and you should have been crushed as a grub. Then the changelings could have had a better ruler to put those ponies in there place."

'I need to break her out of this. Think, what happened. I was running before I found her.'

"RUN!" Chrysalis darted towards the mare scaring her into running away. Good. Sorry. But now the other me can't keep interfering. Need to figure out a way out of here.

'Nothing but that strange tree come to mind, That's got to be it some how.' Teleporting ahead of the mare, she was able to herd the mare in the direction of the tree. At least until the mane six popped into existence between the mare and the clearing.

'You thought I was going to make it easy for you. You're never going to get out of here. I'll kill you, Then take my rightful place and there is nothing you can do to stop me!'

"HELP ME!"

The mare looked back to find Chrysalis still hot on her heals. Whipping her head back around she saw the Elements of Harmony walking not to far ahead.

"HELP ME!" They looked towards the mare before getting into an aggressive stance at the sight of Queen Chrysalis. Twilight threw a few bolts of magic towards Queen Chrysalis to slow her down enough to form a protective barrier around the mare.

"Wait! I'm only trying to kill you!" Twilight, Rainbow, and Applejack were actively fighting Queen Chrysalis while Fluttershy, Pinkie, and Rarity stayed back with the small mare.

"We need to get out of here but I've been walking for what seems like hours and haven't come across any rivers, or even the edge of the forest."

"You're right darling, we need to get out of this dreadful forest, but we seemed to be going in circles before stumbling across you."

"I did happen to find a strange tree not to far from here. You think it might have something to do with it?"

"Well ah reckon we'll just have ta find out sugarcube. Come on ya'll we need to get out of here!"

The group started running in the direction of the tree as Twilight threw one last bolt of magic at Chrysalis. As they got closer Chrysalis noticed that the sickly looking corruption had completely covered the clearing and some veins of it protruded up the base of the tree. She noticed that the tree itself was starting to look sick and its ethereal glow was becoming less pronounced. Something that stood out to her was that the ground beneath the element bearers hooves looked healthy and untainted. She hesitated at the edge, they weren't being effected by the corruption but who's to say that she won't. Steeling her resolve she started walking. It almost seemed to hiss and snap at her hooves as she walked forward. She made it half way before they shouted at her.

"We won't let you hurt her chrysalis!" Twilight shouted. The rest of the elements put themselves between her and the mare.

The earth shook and thunder clapped. The sky over them grew darker as the frequency and intensity of the lightning strikes grew. They all jumped as a massive bolt touched down at the edge of the clearing behind chrysalis.

"Wooo, now THAT was a doozy!" Pinkie gave a little hop as she said it.

" Hey...uh, guys. I don't mean to bother but what's that." The mare pointed past Chrysalis. Chrysalis turned to see what the mare pointed to and what she saw made her pause. The spot where the Lightning bolt struck was now undulating with an almost angry intensity. Large bubbles of black ooze swelled and popped, spreading more of it around. At that point chrysalis started slowly backing away from it and towards the elements. No one tried to stop chrysalis as she backed into the group as everyone's attention was on the ground ahead of them. She didn't realize how close to them she was until her hind leg bumped the mare she was chasing earlier. That was enough to break their attention away and the elements swung around to focus back on her.

"Ya'll thought you could trick us with that show?" Applejack glared at her.

"Well, I mean she kinda just did do that applejack." Pinkie pointed out.

"Well it doesn't matter now, we have her surrounded and she doesn't have anywhere to go!" Rainbow Dash flew nose to nose with chrysalis.

With everyone's attention drawn away from that spot they failed to notice that it went from an angry boil to a mirror smooth surface. At least until a pair of massive limbs broke the surface and touched down on the outer edge of that puddle.

"Um...l-like Twilight mentioned before. We would really like it if you didn't hurt that mare. If you wouldn't mind that is." Fluttershy squeaked out before hiding behind her mane.

A head with a crooked horn followed as the pair of limbs started to pull the rest of its body out of the puddle.

"I'm aware you don't want me to hurt her because I'm not trying to. I'm not lying to you. I'm just trying to help."

A pair of eyes flicked open, exposing their emerald green irises, a wicked smile spread across its face.

"She right you know. But it doesn't matter now. You're all where I want you!" Everyone froze at the new voice. The six spun around only to be greeted by the sight of another chrysalis two times the size of Celestia. The new Queen Chrysalis stared down at them with a smug glare, the lingering black sludge sloughing off her ebony black chitin.

"Looks like I'm going to win this game. I sought you out, now I just need to destroy you!" She let out maniacal laughter before throwing bolts of magic at them. Twilight throwing up a shield in response.

Author's Note:

Confuse anyone yet? No? Maybe?

Sorry for the wait, My muse is a fickle mistress (also probably didn't help that I kept getting side tracked, but oh well). I originally didn't have a plan to make this (these) chapter(s), It's something I wanted to experiment with so there isn't too much chapter redundancy until later chapters where things will pick up a bit. obviously it isn't something i need to worry about right now. I don't plan on making filler chapters a regular thing seeing as they are, well, filler chapters (they will still contribute to the story so they wont be completely useless). Let me know what you guys think.
(to give you a timeline, part 1 of this two chapter side story arc takes place during the night between ch.1 & ch.2 and part 2 during the entirety of chapter 2.)

Anyways, like always, If you have Questions, Concerns, Or just want to leave a comment. let me know, I like to hear from you guys. Bonus points for the people who figure out what I'm representing with the first short side chapter arc.

Cheers!
-Ninjanaut1000