• Published 25th Feb 2019
  • 1,154 Views, 46 Comments

Flatline - The Blue EM2

  • ...
6
 46
 1,154

All People That on Earth Do Dwell...

The beep continued to echo through the ward of the hospital as a group sat there, utterly dumbfounded. No. This couldn’t be happening!

This had to be a bad dream, or a faulty machine!

But yet, the evidence was there, right in front of them. There was no response from Scootaloo’s body, still linked into all the machinery. Her form lay there, cold and lifeless, a corpse which, nonetheless, still had some of the leftover warmth from when she still lived just moments earlier.

Only then did the truth of the matter hit them like a tidal wave. None of them could hold it in anymore, and a wave of grief washed over all those there that day.

Scootaloo Collins. Daughter. Friend. Fellow Crusader. Hero. These were just a few of the words that could be used to describe her. But now, one more word had been added that could describe her.



Deceased.



Scootaloo was dead, and was never coming back.

Tears poured from the eyes of all who had known her and were assembled there, at the cruelty of one so young taken in the prime of life. Who would never know what her purpose would be, and what would happen in the next few years. The Crusaders were permanently down one member, and it hurt like no other pain could.

Eventually, Cheerilee got up, and dried her eyes. It was a futile gesture, as her eyes were stained with tears.

“Come on,” she said to all assembled. “Let us go and...and let her rest in peace.” She and her husband went elsewhere, to leave the Crusaders together. Sweetie Belle and Rumble went and sat on the other side, to give Cozy and Apple Bloom more room.

Cozy felt the worst. She’d only been a Crusader for a short while, and felt she was an imposter here, like she was intruding. Eventually, she couldn’t hold it in, and simply ran off crying in the direction that Cheerilee and Will had gone.

That left the original three together. Sweetie Belle ran her hand through Scootaloo’s hair. “At least...at least she’s in peace,” she said finally.

“Yeah, she’s probably soaring on the clouds now,” Rumble added, slowly. “She always dreamed of flying, and as an angel she’ll get to do so.”

Apple Bloom sighed. “It just...feels wrong, ya know?” she said. Part of her was wishing she had been taken instead. It was a horrible thought, but Scootaloo had always been the frailest of them, and she hadn’t let this get in her way. “We...we were meant ta be friends forever!”

“We will be,” Sweetie Belle answered. “She said so herself. She’ll always be there for us. At our side. In spirit, if not in person.”

Rumble spoke last. “Scoots,” he said. “If you can hear me, know that I loved-no, I love you. And I will never stop loving you. Until we meet again.”



Just then, a bright light appeared around them. The girls (and one boy) looked around in surprise.

“Your faith has served you all well,” the voice said. “Now see your friendship restored once more!”

Their memories all flashed by them, as the light intensified and grew to blinding. They covered their eyes at the sight, and waited for it to clear.

When it suddenly vanished, Scootaloo shot up in bed, sucking air into her lungs as best she could. “Well, that was a wild ride!” she said.

“Scootaloo!” her friends chorused, and fresh tears flowed down their faces. But these were not tears of grief or despair. They were tears of joy.

And Scootaloo herself looked better. Gone was the pale of death over her. The colour was fully restored to her, and she had that brash smile upon her face once again.

The doctor came over to see what was going on. “What the hell?” he said. “You...you were dead!”

Scootaloo nodded. “Yes. I had death, and have life once more.”

“Why have you gone all Biblical?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Turns out it wasn’t my time,” the purple-haired girl answered. “Yes, I slipped the surly bonds of earth, and danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings; Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

Just then, Cheerilee and Will came back to see what all the commotion was about, to see their own daughter alive! They rushed to her side, happy to see her returned to them.

Cozy was with them, and truly was it a happy day. In the space of a few minutes, a day of mourning had changed to one of celebration.



Scootaloo was discharged a few hours later with no apparent medical issues. The tumour had vanished, which none of the doctors could explain, and to all intents she was the happy pre-teen she had always been.

They had a party at Scootaloo’s house that evening. Even Rainbow Dash popped over, which the younger girl was delighted about.

Alas, all good things must end, and the only ones left were Scootaloo and Rumble. Rumble was the first to speak.

“Hey, Scoots,” he said. “I genuinely thought I’d lost you today.”

“I’m lucky to be here,” the girl replied. “But there’s time for one more thing, to do before you go. Something I thought I’d never do again.”

Their lips met a moment later, the gesture more powerful than ever before.



Scootaloo went to bed that night, contented and happy. She had narrowly survived death, and her faith was restored. Besides, the Rich family was having its open day that Sunday, which she was really looking forward to.

Author's Note:

So, here ends this story.

This was inspired by the fact I have been a Christian for my life, and wanted to inject some Christianity into one of my stories. I hope you enjoyed this experiment, and will stay tuned for my next work.