• Published 28th Jan 2019
  • 5,112 Views, 155 Comments

When Darkness Falls - MisterEdd



The nefarious Shadow King, King Sombra, has returned from beyond the realm of death...

  • ...
8
 155
 5,112

Incognito

So this is Ponyville? How...disappointing.

In all honesty, Sombra was expecting so much more from the home of the six most celebrated heroes in Equestria. It resembled any other dirt-poor town, a tiny collection of cottages and small stone houses.

Then again, perhaps its simplicity is in itself a shell for something greater? After all, I came from nothing and I became a king.

He stayed in his shadow-form, being careful to keep himself the size of a horse fly as he darted around the town, searching for his quarry.

Ah, there you are.

The detection of strong unicorn magic seemed to be radiating from the tree-house, a place that, according to the sign, was called, "Golden Oak Library." During his journey, Sombra had picked up on conversations about the new Element Bearers from eavesdropping on unsuspecting travelers or simply interrogating them and wiping their memories of the incident. As easier as it would've been to have killed them, it was no use in hiding if you advertise something is wrong and horribly mutilated corpses were indeed huge indicators of something being wrong. Sliding underneath the main door, he found himself in a light pink atrium and had to fight the urge to vomit from such nauseatingly-bright colors. Twilight Sparkle was not only the leader but also Celestia's star pupil and is likely meant she was being groomed to one day become a princess. This meant that she would garner extra attention from him.

And besides, without their leader and the Element of Magic, they will be powerless to stop me.

"Spike!" A sudden feminine, if somewhat screechy, voice cut through the air. "Where did you put the red ink containers?"

Sombra bonded with the shadow of a nearby potted plant and observed as a violet unicorn mare came trotting into the room, a heavy-looking saddlebag on her back. This had to be the mare herself. As odd as it was, Sombra had to admit that she was actually kind of attractive.

Ugh, where did that come from? Stick to the mission!


A purple and green baby dragon bounded into the room and hurriedly placed a small jar into Twilight's saddlebag. "Here you, Twi! Sheesh, I hope you didn't forget anything!"

You! If you hadn't stuck your nose in my business, the Crystal Empire would've been mine once more and I could've freed Equestria from these loathsome alicorn sisters once and for all!

To Sombra's credit, he kept his rage in check, not making a sound or moving a muscle.

Surveillance now, revenge later.

The violet unicorn rolled her eyes. "Yes, Spike, I'm sure. I already double- and triple-checked the list. I'll be back later and remember, I'm expecting a package so be sure that you're here to receive it. See you later!"

Sombra was about to follow Twilight when there was a knock at the door and a rail-thin earth pony appeared, a cardboard box in his hooves.

"Delivery for Twilight Sparkle. Oh, hey Twilight!"

"Hi Parcel Post. I was just on my way out. Just put it over there."

A mailpony? How much lower can you get than becoming a-...

The gears in Sombra's head started to turn.

A mailpony….yes...I think that he will do quite nicely.

He whizzed through the open door as the three were distracted and hid himself behind what he assumed was a streetlamp, except that it had a glass bulb that lacked a perceivable wick or oil reserve. A new form of magic perhaps? Once his target was in sight, Sombra tailed the mailpony, following him as he made his rounds, taking him to not one, not two, but all six of the Elements' houses, using a special lift to visit the loudmouth pegasus with the rainbow mane.

This "Parcel Post" has suddenly become very useful. Maybe I'll spare his life after all of this is over. Perhaps.

By the time Parcel Post's shift had ended, the sun had just begun to dip down below the horizon, shrouding the land in the natural cover of night, meaning that Sombra could safely return to his normal size as he followed the mailpony to his rather disappointing looking lodgings. Any pony that caught sight of him would convince themselves that it was a trick of the darkness and this served him well. Being the patient hunter as he was, Sombra waited until Parcel Post was fed and relaxed before making his move. A crack in the window allowed him entry and he had to pop one shoulder after resuming his natural form; being in his shadow-form for an extended period of time was somewhat uncomfortable. He slowly made his way over to the unsuspecting stallion and caught him in a red aura, silencing his screams with a sound spell.

"Good evening, Parcel Post," Sombra grinned, his eyes smoking purple mist. "You have something that I want."

~*~

For Twilight Sparkle, the best part of any morning was waking up, having a full breakfast and sorting the books by author, subject and series in that order. After that, she took a nice walk through town, merrily greeting everypony she came across. Her recent misadventures as of late had made her quite popular and every smile, greeting and hoofshake filled her with immense pride. Of course, it wouldn't have existed at all without the help and support of the other Elements. Every battle, every victory had been made possible with their aid and Twilight was blessed with having such amazing friends to look out for her.

Now I think I'm going to swing by Sugarcube Corner to pick up a scone and-...

"Oof!"

She'd been so preoccupied with her thoughts that she had accidentally rammed into and knocked somepony over.

"My goodness, I'm-I'm so sorry! I wasn't watching where I was going!"

She helped the brown earth pony to his hooves and dusted off his blue jacket.

"Oh, Parcel Post! Sorry about that."

She telekinetically stuffed the letters back into the discarded satchel and placed it on Parcel Post's neck, adding the finishing touch by straightening his askew hat.

"I-it's quite alright. I mean, you probably wouldn't notice me even if you were."

Twilight shook her head. "Hey now, come on. Don't say that. You're important, just like everypony else."

A large smile lit up Parcel Post's face. "R-really? Thanks, Twilight! I have to get going but thanks a bunch! You just made my day!"

"No problem! See you later!" Twilight giggled and went on her way, unaware of the momentary glint of scarlet in the mailpony's eyes as he watched her depart.

Yes, I will see you later. Sooner than you think...