• Published 28th Jan 2019
  • 5,110 Views, 155 Comments

When Darkness Falls - MisterEdd



The nefarious Shadow King, King Sombra, has returned from beyond the realm of death...

  • ...
8
 155
 5,110

Care For a Date?

"Well, let's see what the written word has to say about me."

Sombra flipped through the history book until he came across a short chapter on the Crystal Empire. The chapter started off with the usual spiel about its founding during the early years of Equestria's development before the other equine races arrived and their discovery of crystal magic. It was nothing new, as Sombra, during his tutelage as Prince Tourmaline, had been raised to memorize such knowledge and flipped forward until he came across the entry entitled, "The Reign of King Sombra: An Age of Darkness and Fear."

"Oh, this ought to be good."

However, the further on he read, the tighter his grip increased on the book as the more incensed he became. His whole body shook with rage, his breaths coming out fast and deep as purple smoke seeped from his glowing green eyes.

"...King Sombra's cruelty knew no end...he fed his critics to his bat-pony guard...public executions...performed dark magic rituals on infants to increase his power...demanded that every newly-married mare become his concubine..."

With a growl, he tossed the book at the wall and struck it with a dark magic beam, setting it ablaze with purple and green flames.

"LIES! ALL LIES!" Sombra bellowed as the pages curled and burned. He angrily paced the bedroom, spitting curses in his native tongue. "Celestia...you were so desperate to bury your own sins that you rewrote my past! Sullied my name!"

Yes, he had disposed of the Crystal Empire's previous rulers and took over the kingdom, placing himself as king and forcing many of its inhabitants into being slaves for the mineral-rich mines. But he'd also created more jobs, ensured that under-privileged colts and fillies had good educations and established a safe haven for bat-ponies and changelings, who'd been forced from their homes by the efforts of the ponies. Yes, Sombra was a tyrant, he could admit that, but he was nowhere near the monster that the history books insisted that he was. Just another wrong to right.

Once his fury had been dispelled, he sank into his seat and buried his face in his hooves. Since today was his day off, or rather, Parcel Post's day off, Sombra was left bored and furious, a very dangerous combination to be sure, especially for a dark magic user with a short fuse and a plan of revenge. He'd gathered some information on the six bearers of the Elements of Harmony but felt that it was insufficient for his needs. Fluttershy was the Element of Kindness and a weak-willed push-over, Applejack the Element of Honesty and a rough-and-tumble mare, Rainbow Dash the Element of Loyalty who was obsessed with her public self-image and the Element of Generosity Rarity was a well-mannered and sophisticated but overly-dramatic trend-follower. Pinkie Pie, the Element of Laughter...she was hard to peg, either being a cloudcuckoolander with the mind of a child or a devious master manipulator bent on controlling the world through forcing everypony to smile and be merry. Or just a simpleton with far too much time on her hooves.

The one that caught his eye, however, was the Element of Magic and the prized pupil of Princess Celestia: Twilight Sparkle. A loner with a thirst for knowledge but also a dedicated friend to her little band. She was confident and smart but also a control freak that loses her mind when things don't go her way. Then, of course, there was her beauty, her stunning features that made their way into Sombra's thoughts and dreams. Maybe he was infatuated with her but so what? When he conquers Equestria, he could take a wife this time and Twilight was certainly a good pick for the role. He would have to break her free from Celestia's control and that would be a challenge but then again, all truly worthwhile things required hard work.

~*~

A series of books floated around Twilight's head like a halo, bathing her in a soft brilliant raspberry light as she sat perched at her writing desk. Ever since the King Sombra incident, she'd found herself unready and even behind as an enchantress, being unable to match the Shadow Emperor's magic and nearly got her brother killed. She decided to use whatever free time she had away from her friends to study, to push her mind past its limits so that she could face whatever or whoever came next. When that day came, she'd be ready. Twilight Sparkle was the Element of Magic and she'd be prepared.

She flew through Houyhnhnm’s Guide to Magical Arcana and Trotter’s Tome of Reliquary, jotting down as many concise notes as she could before moving onto the Magical Compendium. She was midway through the chapter on defensive magical barriers when Spike entered and tapped on the door frame.

"Oh, hey Spike. What can I help you with?'

"Parcel Post is at the front door asking for you."

Twilight blinked in confusion. "Me? Does he have something for me to sign? I don't remember ordering anything."

Spike shook his head. "Actually, he's not wearing his uniform. He said that he wants to hang out."

"Wait, what?" Twilight rose from her seat and trotted past Spike until she found a gray-brown stallion in the foyer, looking almost unrecognizable without his blue jacket and hat. His mane had been carefully brushed and-

Wait, is he wearing cologne?

The smile that appeared on Parcel Post's face was one of pure unadulterated joy.

"Hi Parcel Post!"

"Twilight, so good to see you! I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

Wow, he's cute. Where did that come from?

"No, not at all! I was just doing some studying."

Parcel Post's eyes lit up with excitement. "Really? Houyhnhnm’s Guide to Magical Arcana or Trotter’s Tome of Reliquary?"

"Both actually! I had finished them and was just reading the Magical Compendium when you arrived. Come on in!"

Twilight led a beaming Parcel Post into the library, taking a seat in a wooden chair. Glancing at the stallion seated across from her, Twilight became aware of her own appearance. Her mane was frizzy and dull-looking , her horn unpolished and her coat staticky and unkempt.

"S-sorry about how I look. I wasn't expecting visitors."

Parcel Post smiled softly, "Well, if you don't mind my saying so, but I think you look beautiful."

Twilight's cheeks heated up and her heart beat almost painfully in her chest. "Oh, that's very sweet of you to say, Parcel Post but there's no need to be nice. I look like a train wreck."

"I'm not being sweet, I'm being honest." He then leaned forward and Twilight found herself lost in his light blue eyes which, for a split second, she could've sworn were crimson. "You're always beautiful. At least, to me you are."

"Th-thank you," Twilight sighed, releasing the breath she didn't realize she'd been holding. She was unaccustomed to such blatant compliments and it felt nice to be flattered.

Is it my imagination or is it really hot in here?

Parcel Post began wringing his hooves nervously. "Hey Twilight?"

"Yes...Parcel Post?"

With a heavy sigh, Parcel Post briefly closed his eyes and then reopened them. "Would you like to go out with me?"

The unicorn stared at Parcel Post's hopeful expression and could've sworn her heart skipped a beat. Twilight swallowed and then asked anxiously, "I'm sorry, but when you say 'go out,' you mean...like a date?"

Slapping a hoof to his face, Parcel Post turned away embarrassingly. "Oh sweet...Cccccelestia," he groaned, struggling with the last word. "I misread everything, didn't I? I am so, so sorry, Twilight. I should go."

Rising from his seat, he sighed and turned to face Twilight sadly. "I'll see you around, I guess."

"Parcel, wait!" Twilight rushed to him so fast that they almost collided. "I didn't mean it like that! I...I've just never, you know?" She then saw Parcel Post's confusion and dropped her head. "I've never been on a date before."

This was it. She'd worked up the courage to admit such an embarrassing truth and now she was going to get mocked. After a solid minute of silence, Twilight glanced up at Parcel Post to see that he was staring at her, his open hanging open in shock.

"You've never...you? How is that possible? Stallions should be lining up at your door!"

Twilight had to giggle at this. She was expecting laughter or an awkward goodbye but not this.

He's surprised that I've never been asked out?

"Well, I was more interested in my studies than friends or dating. Stallions just...tend to ignore me."

When Twilight had been studying at Princess Celestia's school, she'd gotten an interested look or two but the vibe she put out said, "Keep walking, I'm not interested." Besides, most stallions were intimidated, either by her intelligence, her strong magic or the fact that she was Celestia's personal student. It was a sad but true fact.

"So...could I...may I have the honor of being the first?" Parcel Post grinned.

Twilight pushed some of her mane behind her ear and nodded.

"Great! How about I take you out to dinner? Does...six o' clock at the Golden Horseshoe sound good?"

Act cool, act cool, act cool!

"Sounds perfect!" Twilight half-squealed in a high-pitched tone. "Ahem! I mean, sounds perfect! I'll meet you there."

She opened the front door and waved Parcel Post off, giggling to herself at the far-off look in his eyes as he seemed to move mechanically, almost caught in a dream state. She shook her head and slammed the door, preparing to continue her studies only to find Spike standing there with a huge smirk on his face.

"What?"

"You. 'Sounds perfect!'" He said, imitating her, clasping his hands together and fluttering his eyelashes. He then crossed his arms and grinned, "You're smitten with him!"

"What?! No I'm not!"

"Really? Then why are you blushing?"

"I'm not blushing. It's just...really hot in here."

Spike peered at her and then shrugged, not wishing to push the issue. "Fine. Just try not to be so nervous on your date."

There was that word again: date. Twilight groaned and facehoofed herself. Hard.

"What have I gotten myself into?"