• Published 25th Feb 2019
  • 574 Views, 80 Comments

Time to hire some extra teachers - Light Heart101



Tired of managing the School of friendship by herself; Twilight decides to hire more ponies. Who knew the types of ponies that would show up.

  • ...
2
 80
 574

Overworked

It was a long day at class today. Twilight slowly walked to the map room and plopped down into her seat. She had to write dozens of letters that morning. Then she had to teleport to Canterlot to have a chat over lunch with Celestia and Luna. Then she spent most of the day managing her school. Ever since she opened her school she didn't seem to have any free time anymore.

Twilight gave the map a stern look. "You had better not light up!"

"I second that." Twilight looked up to see Applejack walking in. "Between chores and the school I'd hate to add a friendship mission to my load."

Rainbow dash walked in with the rest of the main 6 behind her. She had dark bags under her eyes. "I can't get a decent nap anymore. It's always practice, school, repeat."

Rarity was struggling with drawing on a sketchbook. "Shhhh! I need to finish my winter line!"

Fluttershy turned to Pinky Pie as she plopped down into her seat. "How long did class go?"

Pinky jumped onto her seat and pulled out an over-sized clock. "Well, Twilight started the school a little over a year ago."

Fluttershy raised an eyebrow as she turned to her. "I meant this last class."

Pinky threw the clock away. "So am I."

Everyone laid down on their seats as they looked at the map with a sense of impending doom.

Spike looked in to see them all staring at the map. Spike sighed as he sat down. "You girls look like Chrysalis is going to jump out of that map."

Twilight lowered her head. "If that thing lights up then we don't have any chance for free time and we all will have to rearrange our schedules."

Spike looked around at the others. "It doesn't seem like you even use your free time. Either that or Fluttershy is starting a nest in her hair."

The main 6 started to look at each other. Rainbow Dash looked like she hadn't slept in days. Rarity had ten sheets of paper in her saddle bags. Fluttershy had enough branches in her hair to make a tree. Applejack's hooves were bruised and had splinters in them. Twilight looked like she was a hair away from going 'Twily-nanas'. Pinky Pie had an oven out and was making three cakes at once.

Pinky looked at what she was doing and back to her friends. "Just catching up on lost business."

They all paused for a moment. They slowly started to realize how ridiculous they looked and started laughing. As much as they all looked like a mess it was a funny sight.

Twilight sighed and started thinking as their laughter finished. "I guess we are stretching ourselves pretty thin. I guess I didn't give enough thought about our jobs before starting the school. After everything we've been doing we are pretty busy."

Applejack turned to Twilight. "It's great to be teaching, but we are running into problems. We can't be at the school and at our jobs at the same time. We did nearly lose the school when we all went to Tartarus."

Rarity placed her papers on the table. "Indeed. We already have problems managing a school and our personal lives. What are we supposed to do when Equestria has another crisis?"

Spike shrugged. "Maybe you all could get some assistants?" Everyone's eyes turned to Spike. Spike placed his elbows on the table. "It was how I helped her when she was young. As Twilight was growing up she started to take on more responsibilities. It got to the point where she even started neglecting her own health. So I decided to help her with her lists. I learned how to find the books she needed, how to organize the library, and how to help in other ways. Trust me when I say this castle isn't clean for no reason."

Every one looked at each other. A bright look came on her face. "Spike, that's a great idea! We can hire more teachers and assistants for the school. It can allow us to have more free time and possibly expand our school."

Fluttershy smiled. "It could allow us to have more classes. The students would be exited to learn some new subjects."

Dash grinned. "And we get to meet new ponies."

Twilight was instantly planning it out. "I think we could hire teachers from other cultures and races. It would allow our students to learn more about them. The most important thing is to remember what the school is founded on. Friendship. Practical stuff is good, but we need to remember what we are trying to teach. Spike..."

Everyone turned to Spike who already had a scroll out. They spent the next hour talking about what they wanted to place in the application. Pinky Pie came up with a few interesting ideas for it, but Rarity didn’t think that skills like the conga line, the macarena, or the rick roll dances were necessary. Applejack was starting to question Rarity’s motives when she wanted to ask for a description of their appearance or a photo with the application, but everybody thought it would be nice to know what these ponies would look like. At first Twilight wasn’t up for Dash’s idea of adding combat experience to the application, but after bringing up how many times they were attacked everybody agreed that it couldn’t hurt. The final main thing that they debated over was availability. They knew that it would be taxing to have to get from the school to another city, so they decided that they should be comfortable with moving to Ponyville, but they would be open to compromise.

After several hours of debating and writing they all agreed on the final product. After a good night's rest Twilight took the paper to the post office. She asked Derpy to send copies to all of Equestria. Twilight was surprised about how much it costed, but she was still within the school budget. As Twilight walked away Derpy opened the scroll and read it. It was all written with purple ink... except for one point at the end.

Any antics that you might get into, just between you and me?- Discord

Derpy shrugged and added it to the pile. After all, it wasn't her place to question her client.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a couple of days Twilight was still waiting for the first applications to hit her desk. She knew that it would take a little time for things to get going, but she started to wonder if this was what the kids feel like when they are waiting to open their gifts on Heartswarming. As she worked on her weekly report she heard a knock on the door.

Twilight was excited to see Derpy on the other side of the door with her mailbag. “Hi Derpy! Anything for the school?”

Derpy nodded as she placed the mail bag on the desk. “Yep, I’m sorry for the wait, but there was a lot of mail to go through today. I think that you are about to be pretty busy soon.”

As Derpy started walking out Twilight realized that she left the entire bag on her desk. “Um, I think you forgot something.”

Derpy chuckled. “Nope, I’m going back for your second bag now. I’m not that goofy.”

Twilight’s eyes widened as she proceeded to dump the contents of the bag onto her desk. There had to be at least 100 applications on her desk now.

As she looked at the small tower of papers on her desk she nervously called out to Spike. “Hey Spike! Can you please ask Starlight to cover my class for today. I’m going to be busy today.”

Spike walked inside. “Why? Do you have a…” Spike didn’t finish the sentence before seeing the pile on her desk. He quickly turned to the door with a scared look on his face. “I’ll go tell her.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight spent the whole day trying to go through all of these files. She had already dumped several files to the side, and didn’t have any files that she was willing to accept. She kept having to figure out how well these ponies would work in her school, but none of them seemed experienced enough. They all seemed to lack the skills and bonds that Twilight and her friends had. As she kept going through the mountain of papers she heard the door open.

Twilight quickly yelled at whoever came in. “I’m too busy right now! Come back later.”

“I think you can spare a few minutes for me.” Twilight instantly recognized that voice as her mentor, Princess Celestia.

She quickly lowered her head. “I’m so sorry princess Celestia! I didn’t mean to…”

Celestia cut her off and placed a hoof on her shoulder. “It’s alright Twilight. I heard you were having problems with this and that your stress was getting the best of you.”

“Spike told you, didn’t he?”

Celestia gave her a soft smile as she remembered the last time that Spike had to mail her because Twilight was too stressed. At least this time Twilight had better control and wasn't tearing the town apart. “He’s a good friend. He noticed how many problems you were having and thought I could help. So, how are the new additions to the school going?”

Twilight sighed. “Terrible. I thought this would be easy, but the more I keep looking at these, the more they don’t seem to fit in. They have so little experience with friendship. How can I expect them to live up to what my friends and I have started?”

Celestia chuckled. “I could have said the same thing about you when you first came here. Listen, to your eyes all of these ponies are inexperienced, but you’re looking through experienced eyes. You have come from being a mere student to the princess of friendship. You need to accept something that I had to accept a long time ago, nopony is perfect. No matter how hard you look you will not find the perfect teacher. They will all fall short of what you want.”

“But what am I supposed to look for?”

Celestia gave her a gentle smile as she placed a hoof around her. “Look for ponies who can help lead this school, but also look for ponies who can learn from this school. Look for the lonely, and the broken ones, and find ponies who can help them. Who knows? You might see a bit of your past in them.”

Twilight wiped a few tears from her eyes as she hugged Celestia. “Thank you Celestia. I don’t know what I would do without you.”

As Celestia hugged her back she noticed a photo in one of the files that had two familiar con artists on them in a poor disguise. Celestia knew that Twilight would be smart enough to pick them out, but she figured that she would take a bit of her own initiative. “Tell you what Twilight, Luna and I will go over these once for you and have some background checks ran on them for you.”

“That would be a big help. Tell me, do you have anybody who you want to send here?”

Celestia raised an eyebrow as an idea came to her. “Maybe, he’d be able to help with the protection of your school, but he’s a little anti-social. I would have to talk to my sister about this before I try anything. Just remember one thing, trust your friends, and be willing to help whoever comes into this school.”

Twilight watched as Celestia took the files and teleported away. Twilight felt a small weight being lifted from her shoulders. As she got ready to leave for the day she started thinking about some of the files that she went through. She knew that she would not find any normal ponies, but when you think about her friends, what is normal?

Author's Note:

Oh boy! Twilight's in for an interesting time.
I'm not currently accepting any applications at the moment.
I'll mention any new openings later.