• Published 26th Nov 2018
  • 2,483 Views, 35 Comments

Tears of a princess - lightningflare1



Luna is about to lose everything she holds dear to her by the death of a single pony. The aftermath of this pony's death will change Equestria forever... for better or for worst.

  • ...
10
 35
 2,483

Chapter 8

Tears of a Princess

Twilight slowly sat down next to Flash’s bedside. She gently took his hoof and held it in between her own. A soft sigh left the mare’s mouth as she looked up at his bandaged-up face. She was going to kill Moneybags! How could he do this?! Flash was the kindest pony Twilight has ever known, well for the exception of Fluttershy. He always treated mares with respect, unlike Blueblood who only saw them as property. Wait, of course, Moneybags would do something like this. If he was willing to kill an unborn foal, then he didn’t have an issue about attacking a simple guardpony.

"Hey Flash, it’s Twilight" Twilight whispered smiling at him, "I miss you. We haven’t gone out to Hay burger in a while. We should go once you wake up…. I have so much to tell you. Luna and I are trying to start a family, can you believe it? Two mares trying to naturally have a foal, using magic to form…. Well, you know. But, because of the attack…. We lost the foal. But don’t worry, it wasn’t a foal yet. It was just a fetus, not even a heartbeat. I wished…. I could have told you sooner. I’m sorry. But so much as happened since I discovered, I was with foal…. That, I didn’t have the chance to tell you."

Twilight turned her head away from him, closing her eyes tightly to hold back her tears. The heartbroken mare didn’t notice Flash shedding a few tears of his own.

"Princess," Heart spoke while he stood behind her.

"Dr. Hooves, what’s the matter?" Twilight asked giving him a small glance.

"Would you like a report about Guard pony first class’s condition?" he asked.

"You mean Flash! His name is Flash Sentry!" Twilight snapped back, glaring at the pony who simply hid behind his clipboard.

"Yes! Of course, your highness," Heart excused himself, giving a quick bow of the head. "Would you like a report about Flash’s condition?"

"No, I rather not hear…. What those monsters did to him," Twilight whispered, lowering her head slightly with her eyes staring at the ground.

"As you wish, princess," Heart replied quickly writing down a few notes, "If you would excuse me."

Twilight glanced up at Flash as he slept. She just knew Flash had discovered something about Moneybags, and she had to find out what it could be. "Don’t you dare leave me, Flash." Twilight whispered gently kissing his hoof, "You hear me? This isn’t a request from a friend. This is an order from a Princess of Equestria. And as a royal guard, you must obey my orders."

Twilight stared sternly at his sleeping form. It was rare for Twilight to give out orders, or to use royal formalities with anypony. Of course, she did make exceptions for certain royal events, but it was something she wasn’t fond of.

"Princess Twilight," a deep voice called out. The princess of friendship turned her head to see who the voice belonged too. She smiled at the Pegasus guardpony, standing in the doorway.

"Are you one of Flash’s friends?" She asked.

"Indeed, I am Princess Twilight Sparkle. My name is Spearhead," Spearhead said smiling at her. He quickly bowed in front of the Princess of Friendship, before getting back on his hooves. "May I?" Spearhead asked he approached Flash’s bedside once Twilight gave him a nod of her head.

"I don’t think Flash has ever mentioned you before? How did you two meet?" Twilight asked, moving aside slightly to allow the stallion to stand next to her.

"We met during training, princess," Spearhead explained smiling down at her, "But we lost touch when Flash was assigned to the Crystal Empire. I’m kind of hurt, he hadn’t mentioned me before."

"I see…." Twilight replied staring into the stallion’s eyes. She had this strange feeling inside of her gut, something was off about him, but she couldn’t place her hoof on it. His eyes are…. Mysterious. But I could be wrong about my assumption. Guardponies are usually so secretive and mysterious…., I could be wrong.

"Princess Twilight," Twilight quickly snapped back to reality. She looked around and hadn’t noticed, Spearhead had sat down next to her.

"Yes?" she quickly replied

"If I’m not mistaken, but isn’t today a special day for you?" he asked

Twilight stared at him with a confused look, what day was he even talking about? "Day?" she asked.

"Weren’t you married on this day a year ago?" he said raising a brow slightly, "To Princess Luna?"

Twilight gasp in realization. How could she forget about her wedding anniversary?! It was her very first one as well. "Oh my gosh….. I completely forgot. So much as happened over the past few months….. it must have slipped my mind."

"Wedding anniversaries are special," Spearhead said turning away, staring at Flash’s coma state body. "But, anypony would have forgotten if they were in your hooves."

"Yeah….. my wedding anniversary," Twilight whispered slowly losing herself in thought. Her wedding anniversary, it was supposed to be a special moment with Luna. But how could she celebrate with everything that as happen? Did Luna even remember herself? Twilight wasn’t even sure if she should visit Luna or send a letter.

"Anything special for tonight, Princess?" Spearhead asked

"Uh…. I suppose not. I might simply stay home….." Twilight replied sighing deeply.

"Canterlot?" he asked. Twilight shook her head ‘no’ in response, "Well, Ponyville is a wonderful town. It's nice and quiet compared to Canterlot. A perfect place to relax and think things through, wouldn’t you agree?"

"Yeah, you’re right." Twilight said smiling at him, "Thank you, Spearhead."

"It's my pleasure, princess." Spearhead said, he brought one hoof across his chest with his head bowing down slightly. "I do hope, we’ll meet each other soon, Princess Twilight Sparkle."


Princess Luna sat at her balcony with the stars shining above her, stargazing the beautiful night she had created. This night was special after all. It was her first wedding anniversary, and Twilight wasn’t beside her to celebrate. She couldn’t really blame her. They had a terrible fight and said terrible things to each other. Being in the same room with the moon princess, was probably the last thing Twilight wanted.

But Luna still wanted to see her wife, even if Twilight didn’t. The lunar princess took to the skies and flew above Canterlot. She eventually arrived at Ponyville with Twilight’s castle in sight. As she approached the castle, she noticed a pony resting on the balcony. The moon princess quickly realized it was Twilight. There she was, resting on a pillow with her eyes fixed on the night sky. Luna noticed Twilight had her telescope out with a few charts.

Stargazing? This shouldn’t surprise me. Twilight has always loved stargazing even before we got together. Luna thought.

Twilight sighed softly with her eyes staring at the newest star, Crepusculum Coruscant. Her star. The star Luna had created just for her. The princess of magic was lost in thoughts. She didn’t notice a dark figure make a soft landing behind her. Twilight’s ears twitched slightly with the sound of hooves clicking on the crystal floor.

"Not now, Starlight. I just want to be alone.... especially tonight." Twilight Spoke, not bothering to turn around.

"Happy anniversary, love" Luna said with a smile, causing Twilight to turn around to face her. The smile on the lunar princess face slowly disappeared, "I know.... you probably don’t want to see me now. But... I just wanted to wish you a happy anniversary. It’s our special night after all.... but I’m glad you’re well. I’ll leave you be now. Have a good night, Twilight."

Luna turned away from Twilight. She opened her wings and was about to take flight when she noticed purple magic surrounded her body. A yelp left the lunar princess’s mouth, as she was pulled into an embrace.

"Happy anniversary, Luna," Twilight whispered as she tightened the hug around her wife.

A gentle smile formed on Luna’s face. she was a surprised Twilight was even talking to her! Let alone hugging her, but she wasn’t about to complain about it. The two mares eventually parted from each other. Luna looked into Twilight’s eyes, too ashamed to bring up their fight and what was said.

"I’m sorry, Luna" Twilight said breaking the silence between them. Luna looked up a bit surprised.

"Wha-no! Love, you don’t have to apologize. I’m... I’m the one who yelled at you and s-slapped you. You have nothing to apologizes about." Luna said, still angry at herself for allowing such a thing to occurs.

Twilight sighed and held Luna’s hoof, "No, Luna it’s my fault as well. I should have known better. That.... our foal’s loss would hurt us both, not just me. That was selfish of me."

"We both said such hurtful things to each other," Luna said with a sigh.

"We were led by grief.... pain.... our emotions...." Twilight said, noticing Luna looking a bit surprised from what she said. "What’s wrong?"

"Celestia told me the same thing. Almost word for word...." she said.

"Cadence and Shining came to see me at the castle. After I told them what happened, well, she talked some sense into me." Twilight said with a slight chuckle.

"Tia did the same thing for me. I’m glad we have ponies like them." Luna said smiling at her.

Twilight smiled in return, giving a small nod of the head. "Maybe.... when this is all over. We can.... after some time has passed.... try again?" Twilight spoke, nervously biting down on her bottom lip.

"Of course, we can," Luna replied wrapping her hooves around the smaller alicorn, bringing her into a hug. Twilight smiled and nuzzled against Luna’s chest.

Twilight tenderly smiled at her lunar princess. She pulled Luna closer to bring her into a kiss until she noticed something glow in the corner of her eye. Twilight’s eyes widen in horror as she felt blood splatter against her cheek. A shriek of pure pain filled Twilight’s ears. She felt Luna’s hold loosen around her, as the lunar princess fell to the ground.

"LUNA!" Twilight yelled swiftly rushing to her wife’s side. Twilight felt tears forming in her eyes, staring down at Luna as she held her midsection.

"Damn, I missed," Twilight felt her heart skip a beat at the sound of that voice. Her eyes slowly met the cold gaze of the assailant, "I was aiming for her heart. I should have worked on my aim before coming here." the voice whispered.

"Moneybags….." Twilight whispered she gulp as she desperately clung to Luna. Luna whimper in pain, she could feel the wound burning, with the loss of blood not helping her case. He must have used a magical ray, no, a magical-UGH! I don’t know?! Luna might die! I can’t lose her….. I just can’t!

"Princess Twilight Sparkle, I failed to kill you before," Moneybags said with a malicious smile appearing on his muzzle, his eyes, nothing but pure hatred. "But tonight, you and that whore will never see the sunrise again! The moon shall witness the slaughtered of two whores!"

"Luna….. Stay strong," Twilight softly whispered into the mare’s ears. Twilight looked up with a death glare, her horn lighting up and quickly using a healing spell on Luna’s wound. One thing was certain, Twilight wasn’t going to allow Moneybags to lay a single hoof on them. Luna was always there to keep her safe, now it was Twilight’s turn. "Tonight, we will end Moneybags once and for all."

Author's Note:

How was everyponies Hearts warming?