• Published 12th Nov 2018
  • 1,368 Views, 17 Comments

Being Brave Part II - artman7391

  • ...
24
 17
 1,368

Heartswarming Eve

"Thanks so much for coming with me to Hearthswarming Eve Cory." Said Twilight. "My Family is very eager to meet you."

"Well, the pleasure is all my." A shy Cory replied as he looked out the train window. "This really is the first time in a year I've actually spent a holiday with someone."

"Do you have a holiday like this back in your world?" Twilight asked.

"Almost identical." Cory replied. "It's called Christmas, or Hannukah to others."

"Well I bet it is just as fun and amazing as here in Equestria."

For Cory, the holidays were those rare times where he and his five other friends would gather together to escape from the problems of the world. As he continued to gaze at the snowy railway path, he reminisced how those golden those moments were. It was a time when he and his five friends back home would all meet at their club shack, giving each other a present to show their gratitude. Cory's was always the most humble, giving his current living conditions. Usually, they were tiny sculptures, or wooden boxes he crafted from the junkyard nearby. But they were enough as his friends appreciated them nonetheless.

The train hissed to stop as it arrived at the Canterlot station. When Twilight and Cory stepped off, they stared in awe at the vast and decadent decorations of the town. Shops and buildings tainted with snow and silver tinsel complemented the sides of the winter street. Small colts and fillies were seen building snowponies and forts with the gleefullest of delight. An occasional decorated pine tree was nestled in certain corners of the town. Above them were bells and ribbons that glided like waves over the outside windowsills.

Everypony was enjoying the holiday spirit whilst shopping for their last minute gifts. It was at that moment Cory saw what appeared to be a sad colt walking down the street with a hockey puck tied to his back.

"What's wrong buddy?" Asked a tall stallion who was presumably the colt's buddy.

"Oh, we just lost the hockey game today dad. I really worked so hard to win and now I feel like it was all for nothing."

"Oh, It's alright son. What matters is you gave it the best you could. That's all I expected from you. Now, let's go home and have a nice Heartswarming dinner. Mom's cooking your favorite.

"Oh boy, Spaghetti and Hayballs?" The foal asked excitedly, to which the dad nodded back.

As he responded with a yay and followed in his parents direction, a few tears ran down Cory's cheeks. He slumped onto the ground, wishing his parents were like that to him.

"What's wrong Cory?" Twilight asked, to which Cory pointed at the father and son from before.

Twilight's look grew from worried to sympathetic, understanding what he was yearning for.

"Don't worry Cory," She continued. "When we get to my old house, I'll show you what a true family really is about."

Cory made a weak smile and the two continued their walk. No sooner than expected, they arrived at their destination. Like most houses around the block, it was decorated with the typical Hearthswarming garb and attire. The steps were still tuffed with a few centimeters of snow, most of it neatly scooted to each sides. On the door was a wreath with a note in the center that read "WELCOME TWILIGHT AND CORY."

Twilight tapped her hoof on the door. Within a few moments, it was opened by a light violet mare and a navy blue stallion.

"MOM! DAD!" Twilight shouted as she gave both of them a big hug.

"Happy Heartswarming Sweetie." The mare replied affectionately.

"It's so happy to have you here." The Stallion added.

It was then they turned to see Cory standing shyly at the corner of the steps.

"And this must be your student, Cory." Twilight's mom replied.

"It's a pleasure to meet you son." Twilight's dad added as he extended his hoof. "I am Night Light."

Cory responded with a shy shaking of the foreleg.

"And I am Twilight Velvet." The mother added. "Our daughter has told us many great things about you."

"Well let's not just dilly dally and count snow." Night Light insisted. "Let me show you in."

The house of the Twilight family was a standard style for a Canterlot dwelling. The hallway was of pretty up to date material, a mixture of magenta and blue with a small coffee table topped with a bouquet of lilacs. The furniture consisted of a medium sized sofa and chair for relaxation and reading. Speaking of which, as expected for this kind of family, there was a large wall of books that adorned the sitting room from a far.The only things out of place of course the garments and wreaths that covered the rails and beams for the time of year. It was then Cory noticed a familiar painting hanging on one of the walls. It was a canvas he had commissioned to an unknown client of the city of Canterlot composed of pieces of painted wood and scrap metal. He was now relieved to know who it was for.

"Hey Sweetums." Night Light said affectionately. "I believe there is a certain brother and his wife who are waiting for you in the living room."

Twilight shouted with glee as she pranced towards that direction. On a cushy sofa was a big, white, brawny stallion with a blue mane and a knights shield for a cutie mark.

"TWILY!!" It shouted upon noticing her presence. The two of them leaped in the air and gave each other the warmest hug they could give.

"Oh, I missed you Shining Armor!!" Twilight replied with tears of joy.

"And look who also is here!!" Shining Armor added, to which he pointed his hoof to a pink Alicorn with a purple mane and crystal heart shaped cutie mark. Like Princess Luna from his dream, she adorned a crown and slippers for horseshoes. On her neck was a familiar looking pendant Cory could've sworn he'd seen before.

"CADENCE!!" Twilight shouted as she ran towards the other alicorn.

"TWILIGHT!!" Cadence shouted back. "It's so good to see you!!"

It was then the two giggled and performed what looked and sounded like a little nursery rhyme together.

Sunshine, Sunshine

Ladybugs Awake

Clap Your Hooves and

Do A Little Shake

"I wish I had a family like this." Cory said to himself.

"Oh where are my manners?" Twilight said upon noticing him. "Cory I'd like you to introduce you to my BBBFF, Shining Armor."

"BBBFF?" Cory asked.

"That stands for Big Brother Best Friend Forever." Twilight replied.

"Hey there champ." Shining Armor said as he approached Cory. "So you're one of those humans Twilight met in that other world huh? I gotta say, not bad at all."

"And this," Twilight continued, "Is my sister in law, Princess Cadence."

"Hello Cory." Said Cadence.

A nervous Cory quickly went on his knees and bowed onto the floor.

"Cory, what did we talk about?" Twilight reminded him. "You don't have to be so formal."

"Oh, right." Cory remembered, after which he got back on his feet, made a slight bow and shook her hoof.

"Twilight tells me you're an exceptional artist." Said Cadence. "In fact, I believe this pendant I'm wearing was made by you."

"Oh yeah," Said Cory. "I think I must've made that last month. How did you get it?"

"I snuck it from your desk while you were sleeping." Twilight whispered. "Mailed it to the Crystal Empire."

"Well then," Twilight Velvet said. "Let not just stand here and count dust. I've prepared a delightful feast for Heartswarming Eve."

"Sounds good to me." Night Light said. "Let's eat."

Everyone gathered around the dining room table nearby. The tabletop was decorated with a wide assortment of foods and drinks. Everything ranging from Hay Nuggets, to Oat Burgers, To Tofu Squares glazed in the most decadent sauces were neatly spread across the table. The sides came with horseshoe fries, chocolate coated strawberries, sugar tainted pineapples, and cupcakes as an authentic centerpiece. Other pieces of the menu Cory couldn't name, yet they looked delicious nonetheless. So Cory and Twilight's family picked what they could from the table and began to eat, either by putting their mouths on their plates, or through magic. Cory wondered how he was supposed to eat, as he belonged to a different species. So he picked up a napkin and started to delicately eat what he could.

"Son, could you bring our guest some silverware?" Night Light asked upon noticing to, to which Shining Armor nodded and magically took out a fork, knife and spoon for Cory.

"No need to worry Cory." Cadence said. "We have utensils in this world as well."

So Cory began to dig in with his fork and knife not minding who was watching.

“So tell us about yoirself.” Said Cadence. “Twilight says you’ve made big progress on your basic skills.”

“Mmm hmm.” Cory nodded with a mouthful of food.

“He has certainly been a star pupil.” Twilight giggled.

“Rainbow dash has been taking time out of her day as my personal coach. “ Cory said as he put another hay burger in his mouth (which was actually tofu and soybean mixed together to form a patty). “I was able to learn a few self defense skills.”

“Well I happen to be a little expert in that art myself.” Shining Armor bragged. “Maybe later on I can teach some of the ways of the royal guard.”

“I think that might be a little too advanced for him at this point.” Said Twilight.

“Well either way I think your talents are a big gift to this world or any other.” Twilight Velvet complimented. “Your parents must be very proud of you.”

It was at that moment Cory dropped his utensils and scooched his chair back. Covered his face with his hands and made a face that was both angry and sad at the same time. All the memories of abuse started to go back into his brain. It was agonizing.

“I’m sorry, was it something I said?” Asked Twilight Velvet, To which Cory shook his head.

“It’s not your fault.” Cory replied. “You just didn’t know. You... just...didn’t...know.”

It was there and he solemnly stomped Out of the room, grabbed his suitcase from nearby, went up the stairs and slammed the door behind him.

“Twilight?” Twilight’s father asked. “Is there something that you’ve been hiding from us?”

After a moment, Twilight’s eyes became sad and regretful. After a deep breath...
“I hesitated to tell you about this beforehoof.” She said. “I just didn’t want to spoil heartswarming eve. It’s just that Corey hasn’t had what you say a happy life.”

After a little egging on from her family she proceeded to tell them about the life Cory had lead. From his abusive parents, to his place in the orphanage, to how he was bullied miss treated and had his friends taken away from him so violently. Then she went on to tell how he ended up nearly ending his life, How strange glow in the distance inspired him to run away from it all, And how he ended up in Equestria. When she finished the family was in shock, anger, and sympathy for Corey’s plight.

“I can’t believe his own parents would just abandon him like that.” Said Cadence.

“He must be very brave to endure all of that,” Twilight velvet said.

“Boy if I had my way, I’d lock up those parents for life for what they did to him.” Said shining armor in a furious rage.

“I’m sorry I spoiled heartswarming for you guys.” Said Twilight.

“Don’t be sweetie.” Said Night Light. “Now we know she is in need of help. Shining armor, Cadence, why don’t you go with twilight and help talk to him for a little while your mother and I will set up dessert.”

“That sounds like a wonderful idea.“ Cadence commented.

And with that, the three of them went upstairs to comfort Cory.