• Published 12th Nov 2018
  • 1,342 Views, 17 Comments

Being Brave Part II - artman7391

  • ...
24
 17
 1,342

New Teacher

It was late in the afternoon. Cory had just returned from the local school in Ponyville, where he was just assigned by Miss Cherilee a new set of algebra homework. Knowing that he had struggled through the years with his math skills, he decided to pursue Princess Twilight Sparkle for after school tutoring. But not only did he struggle with his basic skills, he also struggled with life itself.

Before his seemingly accidental stumble from his world into Equestria, Cory Agees was the loneliest boy anyone could imagine. His parents had abandoned him, his accommodations were all but squalor, and his friends had been taken away by the most wicked of schools in the world. But when all hope seemed lost, he saw a rainbow coated glimmer from his dirty windowsill, giving him the courage to walk away from his humdrum life and go wherever his feet may carry him. It just so happened those feet transported him into the most unfamiliar and obscure of places. Now with a new lease in life (a home, several respected positions, and a talent in the arts) he was ready to start all over again.

Cory approached the residence of Twilight, which was a brightly colored crystal castle situated at the edge of town. On closer inspection, it seemed to resemble a combination of a treehouse and a palace merged into one gargantuan construction. With his studies tucked around his arm, he climbed up the stairs and knocked on the golden door, with a heart in the center. A few moments later, the door opened. It was Twilight who answered.

"Oh hi Cory." She said. "You're right on time."

She showed him in as he wiped his feet on the mat. He looked around, and noticed how the interior was just as magnificent. The grand entrance was a cascading beauty of murals and crystals, complimented by drapes flowing against the outdoor breeze made by tiny windows from above. The floor was shining marble that reflected the colors from above, with a deep magenta rug covering the center, so as not to make the ground too bland and empty.

Twilight escorted Cory through the entrance, up the stairs, and down through the hallways, until they reached a door at the very end that led them to her private studies, which was redesigned to look like a small classroom. The place had very warm, welcoming colors and shades, which were mostly thanks to the stacked books and papers that made up for the walls, except for the stained glass windows that transformed the light from outside into a reassuring glow.

"Just find a place to sit and we'll get started." Twilight said as she gathered her things.

Cory took a moment to look around the room. The walls were decorated with bookshelves and photos of Twilight's friends and family. On the top of a warm fireplace was a large picture of the Mane 6 all huddled into a group photo. At the bottom was a smaller image of what looked like a humanized version of her and her friends and a dog version of Spike, only they had sprouted tails, wings, and pony ears. The background seemed to be from a school dance, presumably Canterlot High.

"Is that you?" Cory asked as he pointed to the picture.

"Yep." Twilight replied. "That's me as a human."

"Boy what a crazy adventure that was huh?" Said spike as he entered the room with some scrolls. "And luckily, no side effects. Although, I do get a crave for some dog biscuits every once in a while."

He then proceeded to grab a bag of some and stuff a few in his mouth, to which Twilight giggled.

At that moment, Cory observed carefully a rather peculiar looking girl in the background. After closer examination, he recognized it was the girl that picked up his pencil the day before he saw the light.

"Cory would like a snack while we..." She noticed his close observation. "Are you ok?"

"Oh nothing, nothing I'm alright." Cory said shyly. "I just thought I saw something.

Twilight shrugged at that comment and took out the chalkboard, escorting Cory to his desk. Now their lessons could begin.

"Today we're going to discuss if rational expressions are equal, and then multiply and divide them." Said twilight as she drew on the chalkboard. "Now let's look at this equation and see if we can solve it through variables."

Cory raised his hand.

"Yes Cory?" Twilight asked.

"What's a variable?" Cory asked.

"Good question." She replied. "A Variable is a quantity that may change within the context of a mathematical problem or experiment. Typically, we use a single letter to represent a variable."

Thought Cory hardly had any idea what as being said, it was still enjoyable to know that a teacher took the time for his needs.