• Published 2nd Nov 2018
  • 768 Views, 23 Comments

Fluttershy and the Misplaced Manticore - CapNTilfy



Fluttershy returns home from seeing Sunset Shimmer off on a personal journey only to find a manticore waiting at her doorstep. Book Six of "Not Just Any Other Old Day."

  • ...
3
 23
 768

Silence

Fluttershy's knees nearly buckled as a slew of emotions hit her all at once. Anger, relief, joy, and frustration battled for dominance in her mind as she slowly approached Silence. She steadied herself, then took a deep breath and exhaled. She managed to quell the storm of feelings and regained a normal stride as she reached Silence. "Do you have any idea what you just put me through," she asked, then shook her head. "No," she said. "Not just me." She channeled her geode for what she hoped would be the last time of the day and hoped that she wouldn't cause a magical surge.

Dozens of animals came into Fluttershy's backyard and glared at Silence. "What you put all of us through," she said angrily as she gestured to all of the upset animals. "What would you have done if someone had found you," she asked. "You could have been captured, sold to the highest bidder..." she trailed off and began to choke up. "You. You could even have been shot!" She sniffled. "I don't know what I'd do with myself if you ended up killing someone. The blood you'd shed would not only have been on your paws," she said, pointing to Silence's feet, "but my hands as well." She held her hands in front of her face, then looked back at him. "You came to me, so that makes you my responsibility."

"So let me ask you, Silence," Fluttershy said angrily as tears started to fall from her eyes. "Was it worth it? Just going wherever you please without a care in the world? Not thinking about how I'd feel if something happened to you or someone else?!" She sniffled again. "I...I..." unable to hold herself together any longer, Fluttershy broke. Harry plodded over to her and comforted her as the other animals continued to glare at Silence. The manticore simply blinked as he heard Fluttershy's muffled sobs.

Several minutes later, Fluttershy thanked Harry then looked back at Silence. "I'm just glad you're safe," she said. "But if you ever, ever do that again I promise I will track you down. I will find you. And I will give you a look so mean!" She stepped over to Silence and got into his face. "Are. We. Clear," she asked. Silence backed up a bit and nodded. "Good," Fluttershy said happily, finally feeling calm after a harrowing day. She went upstairs to her room and changed into her pajamas.

Maybe I should check in with Silence before I go to sleep, Fluttershy thought as she finished changing. She walked downstairs and out onto the back porch. She noticed all of the animals were still keeping a close eye on Silence and smiled. "Thank you," she said to all the animals. "Keep an eye on him while I'm asleep," she whispered, then walked up to Silence. "You stay put, and tomorrow Sunset should be back from Equestria. We'll figure something out so we can get you back home. Okay," she asked, giving him a sweet smile. Silence nodded, and Fluttershy hugged him. The animals began to look at her nervously as she broke the hug with Silence. She took notice. "What's wrong," she asked. The animals chittered and pointed at Silence's pendant. She quirked an eyebrow and looked at it intently, until Harry pushed her away and ran.

Fluttershy got up off the ground. "What has gotten into-" she heard a loud click, and turned towards Silence. His pendant slowly lit up...

Then set Silence on fire.

Fluttershy shrieked in horror and ran for the garden hose. She turned the spigot as she thought she heard Silence actually roar in pain. She panicked and ran with the hose in hand and put her thumb on it, spraying Silence with water. The flames only burned brighter and brighter. She clenched her teeth, then looked at Harry. "Quick," she shouted, "Dig up the ground and throw dirt on him!" Harry dug furiously as the flames grew higher and shone brighter.

Tears began streaming down Fluttershy's face. She felt powerless, unable to help this poor, suffering manticore! Surely there must be something she can do! She frantically looked around her backyard as terror clutched her heart. Anything would do at this point. She was out of ideas! She could only stand by in terror as the flames died down, revealing nothing but ashes. Another gust of wind blew, scattering Silence's ashes.

Fluttershy stood still in shock, unblinking. Physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted, she passed out on the porch. Harry gasped, then picked her up. He opened the sliding-glass door and closed it behind him. He walked up to Fluttershy's room, then gently placed her on her bed. He stood next to her bed, keeping a watchful eye on her.

---------------------------

Several miles away, Silence's ashes began to swirl, forming a miniature cyclone. They slowly coalesced into a cloaked being, its question mark emblazoned mask shining in the moonlight. The masked figure sighed, then cracked their knuckles and neck. They tapped their mask. "Mission accomplished. Returning to base."