• Published 2nd Nov 2018
  • 768 Views, 23 Comments

Fluttershy and the Misplaced Manticore - CapNTilfy



Fluttershy returns home from seeing Sunset Shimmer off on a personal journey only to find a manticore waiting at her doorstep. Book Six of "Not Just Any Other Old Day."

  • ...
3
 23
 768

Pursuit

If it weren't for the dire circumstance she was in, Fluttershy would have enjoyed the wind in her hair. She set that thought aside, as she needed all of her focus in order to find Silence. Harry, the bear she was riding, was running full speed ahead. Fluttershy alternated her attention between the sky and the direction Harry was taking her. "Constance," she called out. Within moments, the orange bird descended and chirped an inquiry. "Have two birds fly over to Sunset's," she said. "One to stay and one to report back to me in case Silence leaves." Constance nodded, then took to the air once again.

Good, Fluttershy thought. This way it'll be easier for me to be up to speed on things. She no longer felt that she needed to look up at the sky, and she kept her eyes forward. She and Harry finally arrived near Sunset's apartment, only to find Constance waiting for her. Fluttershy blinked in surprise. "Constance," she asked. "Where's Silence?" Constance looked ashamed of herself, then chirped. Fluttershy's eyes widened and she gasped. "Twilight's home," she asked. Constance nodded. "Okay," she said. "same plan as last time. Get Reginald and Hubert to keep watch over there." Constance nodded again, then took off. Fluttershy channeled her geode again, summoning Harry. "To Twilight's!"

As Fluttershy traveled atop Harry, she noticed he was going through fatigue. "Oh, goodness," she exclaimed. "Maybe you should stop, Harry." She pet him on the head gently. "Thank you for your help," she said gratefully. "Now go and get some rest." Harry smiled, then walked back to his home. Fluttershy sighed in disappointment. "I guess I'll just have to hoof it," she said.

----------------------------------------------

Upon reaching Twilight's home, Fluttershy nearly gagged. "What is that smell," she cried out as she plugged her nose. Constance, Reginald, and Hubert landed right in front of her. "No sign, huh," she asked. The three birds all chirped at the same time. "One at a time, please," she said, as she unplugged her nose and held out her hands. Reginald tweeted, and Fluttershy gasped. "Really," she asked in surprise. "I think I'm beginning to figure something out here," she said with a smile. "Round up as many animals as you can and meet me within a safe distance from here. I don't want this scent to disturb the animals." The birds nodded and took off.

Within a few minutes, dozens of animals had arrived on the scene. Fluttershy paced back and forth. "All right, every creature," she said. "I believe I've figured out what Silence is up to. First," she said, holding up her pointer finger. "It appeared at my house, then left Sunset Shimmer's apartment. When it noticed she wasn't there, Silence went to Twilight's. Now, according to Reginald, Constance and Hubert, Silence's next destination is Pinkie Pie's home." She looked at the animals, making sure they were all paying attention.

"This leads me to believe that Silence is looking for all of my friends," Fluttershy said. "But none of them seem to be home. I'd imagine if my they did see a manticore, we'd all be told. So I want you all to spread out. If possible, distract him. Find any way to keep him from flying away, as long as it's not harmful. I need him occupied until I find him." The animals nodded in understanding. "Split up into groups," she ordered. "Those who want to go to Pinkie's, gather here," she pointed in a direction. "Those who want to go to Rainbow Dash's, gather here. Rarity's, go here. Applejack's, here." All the animals went in various spots. She nodded in satisfaction. "Good," she said. "Now spread out! Stay in your respective places until I get there." The animals all dispersed, and Fluttershy began her trek to Pinkie's.

Fluttershy arrived at Pinkie's, out of breath. "I really need to get back into shape," she said between gasps. Once she caught her breath, she found the group of surveillance animals and walked up to them. "Any sign," she asked. The animals shook their heads. "Really," she asked, beginning to feel frustrated. A squirrel made its way through the crowd and chittered. Fluttershy smiled. "You're right," she said. "I shouldn't push myself too hard. I think I'll take a taxi to Rainbow's." She waved to the animals and called a ride. She entered the car as soon as it arrived.

----------------------------------------------

The driver dropped Fluttershy off at Rainbow's and she waved goodbye as the car left. She walked over to the group of animals. "Any such luck," she asked. A dog came to the front of the group and barked, growled, then whimpered. Fluttershy raised an eyebrow. "I'm not sure a 'funny-smelling kid' is cause enough for worry," she said, then sighed. "Okay, off to Rarity's then." She called and boarded another taxi.

----------------------------------------------

Fluttershy had arrived at Rarity's and checked in with the animals there. "Have any of you seen Silence," she asked. The animals all shook their heads, and she began to worry. "What if someone found him," she asked, "what if something's happened to him?" The animals all chittered, and Fluttershy smiled. "You're right. I still haven't been to Applejack's. I really hope he's there." She ponied up, then took to the sky and flew to Applejack's.

----------------------------------------------

The sky was beginning to darken by the time Fluttershy reached Sweet Apple Acres. Thoroughly exhausted, she nearly crash landed in the orchard. She found the group of animals keeping watch, and approached them. "Please, please, please tell me you all saw Silence," she said, almost on the verge of tears. The animals all shook their heads. "How the hell can a manticore not be seen in broad daylight," she asked angrily, flailing her arms.

"Whoa, Fluttershy," said a familiar voice behind her. "Is that the first time you've ever swore?"

Fluttershy yelped, then turned around. Standing before her were Lemon Zest, Sugarcoat, Indigo Zap, Sour Sweet and Sunny Flare. "Wh-What are you girls doing here," she asked.

Sugarcoat opened her mouth, but Sour covered it with her hand. "We were just helping Applejack with a little...problem," Lemon said with a smile.

"Oh, my," Fluttershy said. "Is she okay?"

Sugarcoat removed Sour's hand and frowned, crossing her arms. "She should be fine," Sour said.

"Enough about us," Sugarcoat said. "What are you doing here?"

Fluttershy sighed heavily. "It's a long story," she said.

"You can tell us on the way to your place," Indigo said. "You look like shit."

"And people tell me I have no tact," Sugarcoat said, rolling her eyes.

"You're willing to give me a lift," Fluttershy asked hopefully, ignoring Indigo's comment.

"Sure," Lemon said. "I mean, we're in the neighborhood anyway."

Fluttershy smiled. "Thank you all!" She slowly got up and into a van parked nearby.

Sour Sweet took the wheel. "What's your address," she asked.

Fluttershy told her, then took a deep breath. "Okay," she said. "Here's what's been happening." The Shadowbolts listened intently to her story until she finished.

"I'd call bullshit if I hadn't seen the magic for myself," Sugarcoat said. "Still, it's hard to believe."

"I understand," Fluttershy said. "But I'm grateful that you heard me out at least."

"No problem," Lemon said. "Can we help you?"

"Oh, I don't want you girls getting into trouble," Fluttershy said.

"Come on," Indigo said throwing her arms up. "Don't you remember how we helped at the Friendship Games, despite the danger?"

Lemon smiled warmly. "Yeah," she said dreamily. "Good times." Everyone glanced at her, and she blushed. "I mean, yeah! That was an adrenaline rush!"

Fluttershy smiled. "I appreciate the offer, but I think I can handle this. Animals are my specialty, after all."

"If you say so," Sour said as the van stopped in front of Fluttershy's house.

"Thank you all again," Fluttershy said as she waved, then headed to her backyard as Sour drove off. "Oh, who am I kidding," she said. "Why am I even bothering, going to my backyard?" She sighed heavily as she entered her house. She walked all the way to the sliding glass door with her head hung in despair, then opened it. She walked outside and closed the door behind her. She turned around, then gasped.

Silence was a few feet away from her, sitting on the grass.