• Published 13th Oct 2018
  • 1,926 Views, 102 Comments

Fairy Tales of Equestria - VioletRose13

  • ...
2
 102
 1,926

Sleeping Dash

Once upon a time in a beautiful and glorious city nestled high in the mountains, there was a wise king and a fair queen who wanted a child. And one day, their wish came true. A beautiful Pegasus filly was born and she was called Rainbow Rose. A few days after the princess’s birth, a grand party was held at the palace. Ponies from far and wide were invited to attend the marvelous celebration, even the Seven Good Fairies were asked to come. Everypony was having a wonderful time while celebrating the baby princess. The King stood up from his throne and stomped his hoof on the floor and all of the guests turned their attention to him.

“Attention, everypony! It’s time for the event you’ve all been waiting for. Time for our guests of honor to give their gifts to our little princess.” The King announced.

“That’s right, darling. Now the eldest of the group shall go first, then the second eldest, and so on. In your own time.” The Queen added proudly, nodding her head at the Fairies.

The seven Fairies nodded their heads and smiled back at the King and Queen as they made their way towards the gilded cradle by the two thrones where the tiny baby princess was laying; all standing in a single file line.

The first to go up was a unicorn with a white coat and purple hair with curls. She looked at the baby and her horn began to glow. “My gift to the princess is surpassing beauty.” The mare announced as she cast her spell upon the baby.

The next pony stepped up. This one was an Alicorn mare with a lilac coat and dark blue hair. She activated her magic as well. “My gift to the princess is the wit of an angel.” The Alicorn declared, casting her spell.

The third pony was a yellow Pegasus mare with long pink hair. “My gift to the princess is grace in all of her ways.”

The fourth was an Earth pony with a pink coat and magenta hair. “My gift to the princess is a true sense of humor.”

The fifth was another Earth pony, but this one had an orange coat and blonde hair. “My gift to the princess is a kind and friendly disposition.”

The sixth was a second unicorn mare with a lavender coat and purple and green mane. “My gift to the princess is loyalty and bravery.”

And the final and youngest fairy was a third unicorn with a yellowish orange coat, aquamarine eyes, and a red and yellow striped mane and tail. Before she could cast a spell however, everything was suddenly interrupted by the front doors bursting open by a great gust of wind, followed by a deafening buzz and a cloud of dark green smoke. When the buzzing stopped and the wind ceased, a tall and hideously disfigured pony-like creature appeared. It looked almost female, but also half insect. As it slowly approached the King and Queen, the ponies cowered in fear and trembled as the tall creature passed by.

“Good day, everypony. What a glorious affair you have going on.” The creature spoke, its voice seemed to echo in everypony’s minds. “I see everypony has managed to come. Nobility, royalty, and… and even the rabble. How quaint.”

“What are you doing here, Chrysalis?” The white unicorn demanded.

“Yeah, what do you want?” The pink pony asked.

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m here for the celebration, of course. Although, I feel rather distressed at not receiving an invitation. Where are your manners?” The creature dubbed as Chrysalis replied.

“You ain’t welcome here!” The pony with the blonde mane shouted.

The room was deathly silent, nopony moved or made a sound. That is until Chrysalis chuckled before suddenly breaking into wicked, booming laughter.

“Oh, dear me.” She laughed. “How terribly awkward. I just thought that the invitation was lost in the mail, that’s all.”

“Chrysalis, why are you here?” The King commanded.

“None of us can’t truly imagine that you’re really offended, can we?” The Queen said.

“Oh! Heavens, no, your grace. You know what? I have a brilliant idea. Just to prove to you all that I mean no harm, I shall bestow a gift on the child as well.”

Everypony gasped in terror, especially the six Fairies who were huddled together near the thrones of the King and his Queen.

“No! Keep your gift! We don’t want it!” The King exclaimed.

“Come, come now, your majesty. It will be quick and painless, I promise you.”

The disfigured pony walked towards the princess’s cradle and looked at the baby lying inside. Her twisted gnarled horn began to glow sickeningly green as magic began to swirl around the clueless infant. She began to cast her spell.

“All of you, listen well! This little princess shall grow in grace and beauty, friends with all who know her. But… before the sun sets on her sixteenth birthday, Princess Rainbow Rose shall clip her wing on the smallest or the largest shard of any crystal and she shall die!” The monstrous pony exclaimed, sending a shockwave of green magic throughout the room.

Everypony was in shock and they were trembling in horror at the creature. She turned off her magic and laughed triumphantly as everypony gasped in shock. The Queen was now sobbing out of fear while the King did his best to comfort her.

“How about that for a gift?” Chrysalis asked smugly, whipping her webby tail.

“You cruel, conniving, black-hearted monster!” The King screamed angrily. “I hereby banish crystals from this kingdom! Now how about that!?”

“Oh, we’ll see.” Chrysalis replied, looking at her reflection in her hoof. “You have a lot to learn about the power of fairies, especially fairies with dark powers like me. Trust me, you’re out of your league. There’s nothing else you can do.”

“Wait, Your Majesties! Not all is lost; I haven’t given the princess my gift yet.” The last Good Fairy said as she stepped forward.

“That’s right, you haven’t. That must mean there’s still hope.” The Queen said, lifting her head from her hooves.

“But, Your Majesty, she’s still a young fairy.” The Alicorn said, stepping forward.

“Yes, she doesn’t have enough power to undo the curse.” The yellow Pegasus nervously added.

“I’m afraid they’re right. I can only add to the spell, not change it.”

The unicorn thought for a moment, then she came up with a solution. Her horn glowed as she approached the cradle and looked at the baby.

“Princess Rainbow Rose will not die from clipping her wing with a crystal shard, but she will only fall into a deep sleep that will last for a very long time. And she can only be awakened by true love’s kiss.”

She cast her spell upon the baby and everypony applauded and cheered for her, especially her sisters and the princess’s parents.

Chrysalis just rolled her eyes and scoffed. “Nice try, but you’re out of luck.” The dark Fairy said, getting closer to her good counterpart.

“How so?” She asked.

“You gave away with your advantage with that ‘true love’s kiss’ nonsense. Sleep she may, but let’s see if anypony can get close enough to wake her up!”

And with that, Chrysalis suddenly disappeared in a bright green flash, leaving everypony in the room frozen in fear or completely flabbergasted.

“I’m sorry, Your Majesties, but it’s the best I can do. Oh, don’t worry, princess. I’m sure everything’s going to be fine.” The Fairy said reassuringly to the baby who naïvely cooed.

Even though the young Fairy said things would be alright, the King and Queen didn’t want to take any chances. They didn’t want Chrysalis’ horrible curse to come true under any costs. So, they quickly issued a proclamation throughout the kingdom. The King banned all crystals and the act of mining crystals across the land to keep his daughter safe.

Years have passed and Princess Rainbow Rose had grown up to be a beautiful young Pegasus mare, however, she remained unaware of the curse or even the existence of crystals. When she wanted to practice her flying skills, she wasn’t allowed to leave the castle grounds, which she thought was unfair. She wanted to go out and see the world.

It was the Princess’s sixteenth birthday and while her parents were away on important royal business, Rainbow Rose decided to go out for a short fly. Since there was no one else in the castle, she made her way off of the castle grounds and into the open sky. When she made her way outside, she saw that everything around her was so big and vast that she couldn’t believe it. But while she was soaring in the clouds, she spotted something on one of the mountains near the castle. It looked like the entrance to a cave. Being the curious pony she was, she decided to go and investigate. Rainbow Rose flew to the hole and discovered that it was a cave. And clinging onto the walls were crystals of every shape, color, and size. She gasped and gazed at the unfamiliar yet wondrous sight before her now.

“Whoa! Look at this place! It’s amazing!” Rainbow Rose said in astonishment.

“Why hello, miss.” An unfamiliar voice said.

Rainbow Rose whipped her head around, looking for the source of the voice. And soon enough, a tall pony emerged from the shadows wearing a dark tattered cloak over her body. The mare approached the Princess and she backed away.

“Who are you?” She asked.

“Oh, sorry. I’m just an average pony mining crystals day in and day out. Typical boring evening.” The pony replied.

Crystals? That’s what these things are?”

“You don’t know about crystals?! They’re probably some of the most beautiful things in all of the land! They’re big, sparkly, intricate, and absolutely stunning!”

“You got that right. I wonder why my parents didn’t want me to fly out here. It’s awesome!”

The stranger smiled. “Bet you can’t fly like a pro.”

“What?” Rainbow Rose asked.

“I said I bet you can’t fly like a professional.”

“Are you kidding me? I AM a professional!”

“YOU? A pro? You’ve gotta be pulling my leg.”

“No way! I’m the best flyer this kingdom has ever seen!”

“Please. I’ve seen slugs faster than you.”

“What is THAT supposed to mean?”

“No flying team in the entire land would accept a prissy little Pegasus who could never fly through an entire cave and back to the entrance unharmed in one day.”

“Hey! I can fly through this cave and back here in ten seconds flat!”

“Prove it.”

“Why should I?”

“What’s the matter? Chicken?”

“Okay, that’s it!”

Without missing a beat, the Pegasus Princes spread her wings and flew straight into the cave as fast as she could, the stranger watching her from afar. As she flew, Rainbow Rose dodged and flew past every crystal in her path and finally she made her way to the end of the cave. She didn’t have time to admire her reflection in the semi-translucent wall because she had a bet to beat. She immediately flew back towards the entrance.

As she was nearing the cave entrance, however, it was almost sunset. That was when the stranger’s horn lit up and she blasted a beam of magic at a crystal hanging on the cave ceiling and a large piece broke loose from it and it fell onto the Princess’s wing, thus clipping it.

“Ow! My wing!” She cried in pain.

But before she could so anything else, Rainbow Rose suddenly lost all of her strength and she fell to the cave floor with a loud thud and her eyes shut. The cave was silent; the Princess lay in the dirt. Her eyes closed her body unmoving. The cloaked pony slowly walked over to the unconscious Pegasus and removed her cloak to reveal Chrysalis.

“Hmph. Looks like I was right, Rainbow. You couldn’t fly through that entire cave and back in ten seconds flat.” She chuckled.

She broke into triumphant laughter and she vanished in a bright green flash. The wicked Fairy’s curse had finally come true, Princess Rainbow Rose had clipped her wing and she had fallen into a death-like sleep.

After the sun had fully set and the King and Queen returned home, the castle guards quickly found the Princess asleep in the crystal cave. They brought her back to the castle to tell her parents the grim news. So the royal couple lay their daughter rest in her bed chamber where she could sleep peacefully. Soon, they called the youngest Fairy for help.

"I'm afraid we're too late. The curse has already come to pass." The King said solemnly.

"Yes, there's nothing left we can do." The Queen added tearfully.

"Wait, don't you remember? True love's kiss?" The Fairy asked.

"Oh, yes! Well, I'm sure we can find somepony who could—" The King began, but he was cut off by the Fairy.

"Oh, no, no, no, no. I’m afraid you can’t. You'll have to wait a little while." She said.

"How long?" The Queen asked.

"I'd say… a hundred years."

"A hundred years?! But, you don’t understand. When she wakes up, everypony here would’ve passed on, everything she loves would die, the entire kingdom would be gone. What do we do?"

The Fairy thought, then she smiled; she came up with another solution.

“Hey, why don’t I freeze everypony, exactly as they are now? So, that way you, the Princess, and everypony else can sleep together until her true love finally comes.”

She activated her magic and she sent a shockwave of light red magic throughout the entire kingdom. There, everypony was either frozen in place like statues or asleep just like the princess. When the Fairy finished her spell, Chrysalis suddenly appeared in the room.

“Nice try, cookie.” The dark creature said.

“Why thank you.” The young Fairy said, looking away from her counterpart.

“But you’re forgetting one thing. I possess magic, too. Stronger than yours.”

“So?”

So, I have a little something I’d like to add.”

Chrysalis’s horn glowed and soon, an entire forest of enormous razor sharp jet black crystals sprang up from the ground, surrounding the village and the castle and growing to great heights. The Fairy looked out the window and turned to look back at Chrysalis, glaring at her darkly.

“You know something, Chrysalis? You… are the most evil, most cruel, black-hearted pony I have ever known!” She screamed.

“Thank you, dearie, but flattery will get you nowhere. I have one last surprise in store for this so-called ‘true love’. Just you wait and see.” Chrysalis cackled. And with that, she disappeared, leaving the Fairy alone with the sleeping Pegasus.

“Well, I’ve done everything I can.” She sighed as she looked at the Princess. “Don’t worry, princess. The right pony will come, I know it.”

Time passed and Princess Rainbow Rose, her parents, the loyal subjects, and the rest of the kingdom never changed. The Princess lay in an enchanted dreamless sleep, waiting for somepony to come. A hundred years seemed to fly by and one fateful day, somepony did come. It was a young Pegasus prince by the name of Soarin. He was flying around in the cool blue sky until he came across the forest of black crystals. He heard many rumors about the crystal forest and he was told about either an evil ghost or a terrible monster that lives down there.

Being the curious young pony that he was, the Prince decided to go and investigate. At the entrance to the forest, Soarin looked at the black crystals that towered over him like trees. Although he knew it would be very dangerous, he had to find out which legend was really true. Before he could walk in however, he was confronted by a mysterious stranger.

“Pardon me, I do not mean to be rude. But why on this land do you intrude?” She asked.

“Sorry, ma’am. What do you know about a monster or a demon? I’ve heard that there’s one that lives in there.” The Prince said.

“Monster? Demon? I should say not. For it is the truth many had sought. Deep within this forest of crystals black, lays a precious treasure most ponies would try to bring back. There lies the Princess Rainbow Rose in her bed, for she slept for one year times one hundred.”

“One hundred years? Princess Rainbow Rose? Is it true?”

“Oh yes, indeed. But beware, good prince. Those who go in this forest have never left since.”

Even though the zebra advised him not to go, Prince Soarin walked into the black crystal forest, searching for the castle that contained the sleeping princess. After a few minutes of walking, Soarin suddenly felt that he was being watched. The next thing he knew, he was standing in front of Chrysalis, who has transformed herself into a large, sleek looking dragon with ebony scales and large emerald green eyes.

“Going somewhere, pretty boy?” The Chrysalis Dragon asked.

“I’m here for Princess Rainbow Rose!” Soarin shouted.

“If you want the Princess, you’ll have to get through me first. But I doubt you can. To me, you look absolutely delicious!” Chrysalis said, looking at the pony and hungrily licking her lips.

Soarin took a sword out of his belt and said, “You don’t scare me! Come and get it!”

Prince Soarin and Chrysalis had a fierce battle. She breathed green fire at the prince many times, but he dodged the blasts every time. Soon, Soarin had an idea. He spread his wings, flew above Chrysalis, and landed on top of a crystal that was sitting right above her head. He took his sword and he struck the crystal with it. When he extracted it, the crystal began to crack and break. Chrysalis heard the cracking sounds and looked up to see the Prince flying over her head and the crystal that was about to fall. Her eyes widened in fright.

“How do you like them apples?” The Prince smugly said, kicking the crystal with his back hoof.

And before anypony could say another word, the large piece of crystal fell and it crashed right on top of the Chrysalis Dragon’s head, killing her. The Prince flew over the creature and straight to the castle to find the princess. He burst through the doors and ran around the castle looking for her. Then, he ran up a staircase of the castle until he reached a room on the top floor. He opened the door and he saw Princess Rainbow Rose sleeping peacefully. He gasped as he looked at her; she was the most beautiful mare he had ever seen.

Soarin walked over to the bed and gazed the sleeping mare before him. He then leaned in, lifted Rainbow’s head, and kissed her on the lips. At that moment, Princess Rainbow Rose’s eyes fluttered open and she turned her head to look at the stallion.

“Wha… what happened? Who are you?” She asked, sitting up.

“I’m Soarin.” He answered.

“Are you a prince?” Rose said.

“Yeah.” Soarin replied.

“What kept you then?”

Rainbow Rose then climbed out of bed and wrapped her forelegs around Soarin’s neck in a hug as well as a passionate kiss on the lips. As they kissed, the castle and the village came back to life and the crystals that surrounded the kingdom shattered and the shards vanished into thin air. Shortly after everything was back, Princess Rainbow Rose and Prince Soarin were married, Chrysalis was never seen in the kingdom again, and they all lived happily ever after.