• Published 13th Oct 2018
  • 1,924 Views, 102 Comments

Fairy Tales of Equestria - VioletRose13

  • ...
2
 102
 1,924

Garblestiltskin

Once upon a time in a kingdom far away, there was a miller who had a beautiful daughter named Starlight Glimmer. She was one of the smartest mares as well as the loveliest in all the land and everyone was friends with her. Starlight’s mother was always proud of her and she would often boast about how wonderful and magnificent she was.

One day, the King’s Prime Minister, a unicorn named Blueblood, was passing by the miller’s home when he overheard the miller say:

“My daughter, Starlight Glimmer, spins so fine that she could even spin straw into gold!”

When Blueblood heard this, his interest was greatly peaked. So he immediately ran back to the castle to tell the King at once. The King was intrigued by this piece of news and he ordered Starlight to be brought to the castle at once. When she arrived at the castle, Starlight knelt before the King and Minister Blueblood. When she first saw the King, she immediately felt strong feelings of affection towards him. The King shared the emotion towards her. They stared deep into each other’s eyes for a good few minutes of silence until the Prime Minister snapped them out of their trances.

“Ahem! Your Majesty!” Minister Blueblood said, clapping his hooves to get their attention.

“Oh, yes! Sorry. You’re Starlight Glimmer?” The King asked.

“Yes, Your Majesty. I am Starlight Glimmer. Um, why did you ask to see me? Is something wrong?” The mare asked nervously.

“I’ve heard from a reliable source that you could spin straw into gold.” The King replied. “I must know, how do you perform such a feat?”

“Straw into gold? I… I, uh… um…” Starlight stuttered; she didn’t know what to say to that. She didn’t want to get into trouble so she decided to improvise. “It’s, uh… it’s an old family secret, Your Majesty.”

“Yes! And to prove it, this lovely filly going to spin us an entire room full of gold!” Minister Blueblood said, stepping forward.

“I am? Oh, yes! I am!” Starlight said, laughing nervously.

“Now come with me, my dear, so we can get you settled.” Blueblood said as he levitated the mare off of the floor with his magic and took her away from the King.

So, that very night, Minister Blueblood took the terrified Starlight to a room filled with straw. But just before he locked the door to the room, he rudely sneered at her.

“Alright, missy, here’s what we are going to do. If you spin all of this straw into gold by morning, you’re free to go. Do you understand?” He asked.

“Uh… yes, I agree.” Starlight said nervously.

“Very well. Oh! And by the way. If you can’t do it, you and your mother… will be sentenced to death. And one more thing: you can’t use magic to cheat your way out of this. Understand?”

“…Understood, Minster Blueblood.”

“There’s a good filly… Good luck!”

Minister Blueblood then shut the door with a deafening slam, locked it tight, and left Starlight to her task.

Starlight looked at the straw piled up in front of her and the spinning wheel sitting in the middle of the room with wide eyes. What was she going to do? Starlight knew her mother’s foolish boasting had gotten her into this mess, but she also knew that she couldn’t give up, so she decided to give it a try; she knew magic couldn’t help her here. She tried her very best to spin the straw to gold, but after countless attempts she just couldn’t do it. So she began to cry.

“Ugh, I’m never going to get this! I’d give anything to spin this into gold!” She yelled before bursting into tears.

Then she heard an unfamiliar male voice say, “Would you really give anything?”

“What? Huh? Who said that?” Starlight nervously asked, looking around the room for the source of the voice.

Just then, she saw a strange hooded figure approach her from the shadows. He appeared to be standing on two legs and he spoke with a deep voice.

“Hello, miss Starlight Glimmer.” He said.

Starlight was so shocked that she almost screamed; she had never seen a creature like this before and she wasn’t sure what to do in a situation like this.

Taking a step back, she asked, “How do you know my name? Who are you?”

“You’ll never know. But right now, all I can say is that I’m a friend. I’m a friend who knows how to spin straw into gold.” The creature said calmly.

“You can?! You can really spin straw into gold?! Can you really do it? Will you, please? Please? Please?” Starlight pleaded.

“Of course I can, my dear. But I’ll do it for a fee, of course. Do you have anything to give me?”

“Well… I’ll give you anything if you help me. But what do I have of any worth? All I have is this bronze necklace. It was a gift from my grandmother and it means a lot to me.”

“Deal. And if I ever have to come back, the price will be much higher. Understand?”

“Yes, I understand. And I hope I won’t have to disturb you again.”

So Starlight gave the stranger her necklace and he went right to work. As he spun the straw, it miraculously turned into long strands of pure, shining gold. And at the break of dawn, he disappeared just in time and the King and Minister Blueblood were greatly impressed and surprised as soon as they entered.

“You’ve done it!” The King exclaimed, taking Starlight’s hoof and smiling excitedly.

But Minister Blueblood was as greedy as he was rude so he said, “Your Majesty, wait! It must be a trick! We have to see if she can do it again!”

“What?” The King and Starlight asked in unison.

“As your Prime Minister, I must protect you, my King. One more time.” The unicorn insisted.

The King let out a sigh in defeat. “Alright. One more time.”

Starlight was terrified; she had no idea what to do now. So, when night came again, the King took the mare to the largest room in the castle filled to the brim with even more straw than before. She stared at it in shock.

“Now, spin for me just one more night… And if you do, I’ll marry you and make you my wife, my Queen.” The King said. Starlight let out a silent gasp and her eyes widened.

“W-what?” She asked, making sure she heard him right.

“Your Queen?!” Minister Blueblood cried.

“Yes, Blueblood. I’ve already made up my mind.” The King said through gritted teeth.

He looked back at Starlight with hopeful eyes. “So…?”

Me? Your Queen?” Starlight stuttered, unsure of what to say at that moment. “I… I’m honored, my lord. Truly, I am. I… I suppose I could… I’ll try to do what I can, I promise.”

“Good. I hope you succeed… Starlight.”

“See you in the morning, Miss Glimmer. And remember: NO magic.” Minister Blueblood taunted.

And soon, the King and Blueblood left the mare to her task once again. Starlight was horrified of doing this task a second time, so she tried to call for the creature that helped her the other night. And as if on cue, the cloaked stranger appeared before her just like he did before.

“You called?” He asked, raising an eyebrow and smiling.

“Yes, I did. Can you spin all this straw into gold? Just one more time, please?” She pleaded.

“Hmm… For a fee.”

“Of course. But what else can I give? I have nothing left… Tell you what; if I become Queen, you can have anything. Jewels, treasure, land, anything you want. Name it and it will be yours.”

The stranger’s face lit up, he had an idea. He looked back at the mare with a sly look in his amber eyes.

“How about this?” He began. “When you marry the King and become Queen, you give me… your first-born foal.”

Starlight was shocked at what she had just heard; how could she promise something like that to a creature she hardly knew?

“Are you out of your mind?! I can’t promise something like that; I won’t promise that!” Starlight shouted in protest. “Isn’t there anything else you want?!”

“Nope. Sorry, Miss Glimmer. Unless you give me your child, there’s no deal.”

“No! No! No! Stop, please! Stop! Don’t go!” She begged, pulling the stranger back towards her. “Just spin the straw into gold! I’ll give you anything you want! Anything!”

“Now that’s a deal! You got it!”

So the stranger went back to spinning. And in the morning, just like before, he vanished just in time and the King was happy that Starlight had proved herself and Minister Blueblood was greatly satisfied with the room filled with gold. So the King and the young mare were married that very afternoon and Starlight became Queen.

About a year later, a beautiful baby colt was born to the royal couple. And one fateful day, while the King was away on royal business and the Queen was playing with her baby, the mysterious stranger had returned, only this time, he wasn’t wearing his old cloak. Starlight was repulsed to see that the stranger who helped her was a large dragon with a big snout and dark red and pale yellow scales. She nearly screamed at the sight of him.

“I’m back. Time to pay up!” He said, smiling a big grin.

“What?! No! Get out, stay away! You can’t take my baby!” Queen Starlight begged as she held her foal close.

“Don’t you remember anything, Starlight? We have a bargain!”

“No, please! Take my kingdom! Take my treasure! Take everything just leave my baby alone!”

“A deal’s a deal. And nopony breaks deals with me, dearie.”

“No, please! Leave me alone!”

The Queen began to weep bitterly, but the dragon stopped her by putting his claw on her shoulder.

“Hey, hey, hey; quit it. I hate seeing ponies like you cry.” He began. “Tell you what… why don’t we strike another deal?”

“What kind of deal?”

“I’ll let you keep your child if you can guess my name. And if you can’t guess it within three days time, then your child belongs to me. Do we have a deal?”

“Yes! YES! Deal!” She said, shaking his claw violently with her hoof.

During the first day, Queen Starlight guessed every single name she could think of, but none of them were right.

“Hay Stack? Loose Knot? Needle Head? Mud Puddle?” She listed.

“No. No. No. No. No.” He answered. “You can try tomorrow night.”

And the second day went as it went the day before and as it ended.

“Short Ribs? Sheepshank? Snake Tail? Sludge!” She said.

“No. No. No. And no.” He replied. “I’ll be back tomorrow, you can try again. But remember, dearie, tomorrow is the last day. And if you fail, well… you know what happens then.”

The Dragon vanished again and Queen Starlight was getting very worried, but then she had an idea. She called for her most trusted and most loyal guard.

“You called, my Queen?” The guard asked as she approached the Queen.

“Yes. I need you to do a very important mission for me.” She said.

“Anything, Your Majesty. Name it and it will be done.”

The Queen sent the guard out into the village to see what she could learn. And when she returned the next morning, she came back with very important information.

The guard said, “Your Majesty, while I was walking through the forest sometime last night, I saw a strange looking creature, almost like a giant winged lizard of some sort who was singing and dancing by a fire. I didn’t get a good look at his face, but I heard the song he was singing. It went something like; "The Queen is going to lose the game! For Garblestiltskin is my name!" Is that what you needed, Your Majesty?”

“Garblestiltskin? That’s it. That must be it!” The Queen exclaimed excitedly. “Thank you so, so, so much for all of your help! After this, you’ll receive your reward!”

“It was my pleasure, Your Majesty.”

The minute the guard left the Queen alone, the dragon had come back. But this time, the Queen was ready for him.

“It’s me and it’s the final day, Queenie. Can you guess my name this time?” He asked her in a smug tone.

“I believe I can.” The Queen said with a sly look in her eyes. “Is your name Landslide? Or Pin Cushion?”

“No. You give up?”

“No. How’s this for my last guess?” The Queen soon stood up and she started to sing. “You think I’m going to lose the game but I know Garblestiltskin is your name! Right?”

The dragon was frozen in shock. She did it. She actually did it! The Queen had guessed correctly and he lost at his own game. He couldn’t believe it; he was enraged. By now, his eyes were burning like fire as he glared at her.

“WHAT?!?” He screamed. “No! No! No! You cheated! Someone told you! I want your baby! Give it to me! NOW!”

“No.” She protested. “We made a deal, a deal’s a deal, and no one breaks deals with you. You said so. Now why don’t you do Equestria a favor and just go away and leave me, my husband, my baby, and my kingdom alone!”

“You know what?! Maybe I will!”

And as if by a powerful force, Garblestiltskin was sent to an enchanted prison within the darkest depths of Tartarus where he belonged and he was never seen in the kingdom ever again. Queen Starlight Glimmer never again made a promise she couldn’t keep and she, King Sunburst, and their baby prince all lived happily ever after.