• Published 3rd Aug 2012
  • 900 Views, 11 Comments

I am Paradox - Msande



when Rose makes the mistake of running in front of her self a paradox is created

  • ...
3
 11
 900

Distractions

Chapter 05

Luna took a deep breath, the small homes of stone and wood gave very little in the way of information. Most of the ponies were scurrying about to make ends meet not to mention each pony she went to talk to always got a bad case of the shakes.

“So, nothing new in the leads the ponies we found are going to make a full recovery. We seem to have reached a dead end,” Said Derpy sadly as Luna leaned up against the castle’s outer wall levitating an apple with her magic. “Doctor, you don’t seem to beat up about all this,” Derpy said looking at Paradox as he casually looked over a few papers.

“I am use to long waits to solve an issue in my younger days it could take weeks if not months. A new lead will present itself and we will figure it out. In the mean time it’s no point in getting antsy,” he said as he flipped threw another page.

“What are you reading?” asked Luna her curiosity final getting the better of her. Paradox pulled it closer.

“You’ll find out soon enough princess, but for now the Data is inconclusive,” he said with a sly smile.

“You know as a princess I could order you to tell me,” she replied as her eyes narrowed at him. Paradox didn’t seem to be fazed at all.

“Yes you could,” he replied as he looked back at her crossing his arms with an amused smile on his face. The Princess of the night glared at him and his smile before she sighed and took a bite of her apple plotting the colt’s downfall.

“Well when the other ponies start to wake up we could ask them about what happened,” Derpy said having missed the conversation between Luna and Paradox.

“On any other adventure I would love the way your mind thinks but the one time we need to let dogs lie you can’t keep your mouth shut,” Paradox thought to himself as he felt his mood sour.

“Well with how slow things are going it won’t be until after the Gala, so I think we should relax and get ready for that.” Paradox replied.

“You really think it will take them a week?” Derpy asked.

“Knowing how things work it’s always going to climax at a big even so a ball room even is just too big to pass up,” Paradox replied “Always the last second and with the max number of witnesses,” He said with a chuckle.

“You seem pretty sure of yourself,” Luna replied,

“This isn’t my first time to the rodeo princess,” Paradox replied, when suddenly a fourth person made themselves known. “So let’s head back to the castle, Depry have you found your friend yet?” he asked remembering what the grey mare was doing before she got dragged into the current events.

“I have yet to see him, I hope he’s not to worried, I really shouldn’t have wandered off,” Derpy said as the three headed back to the castle.

“What is the first rule no wandering off, but they always do,” said a voice around the corner of the outer wall.

Back in the castle the trio walked along the halls with ponies of all shapes and sizes putting up decorations. Paradox took a step to the side as another pony raced past him. “All these colors it’s a wonder how the genetics work for these ponies,” He replied as he watched a bright green pony race past fallowed by a dark blue.

“Genetics?” Luna repeated not familiar with the word. Paradox gave a light smirk,

“A very boring conversation, something you wouldn’t really care to think about just my inner scientist talking.” He replied. The two walked into the throne room to see Celestia talking with an advisor of some kind.

The Throne room was a marble white a stark contrast to the grey stone and structure on the outside. It was filled with light colors mirroring the princess flowing mane as ponies set up tables and flowers and all manner of decorations he looked up to see massive grooved pillars lined the walls as they led to the white stairs leading to a pair of thrones.

“My sister wanted the whole castle like this,” Luna replied not liking the color or how bright everything was.

Celestia blinked at them clearly hearing the group as they approached them. She waved at the advisor as the dark red pony nodded before departing.

“It’s good to see you out and about, I have expected you to still be reading the stuffy books of yours,” she said with a calm smile.

“We, feel are attention is need else were,” Luna said. The white princess frowned at the sudden change of style.

“I wouldn’t worry about it too much the ponies that missing have been recovered and I put a few spells up that should ride us of this nightmare moon issue,” She said waving it off. Paradox leaned up against the white rails on the stairs crossing his hooves.

“We believe that is a good idea, are the preparations ready?” Luna asked looking around the ball room she frowned a bit at the colors.

“They are coming along nicely I believe I do love the colors, don’t you?” Celestia asked her sister as Luna forced a smile.

“Of course I do,” she replied as Celestia turned away as Luna frowned, “Of course you would they are your colors,” she muttered. Luna quickly let her smile appear again as Celestia sat down on her throne grabbing some papers with board look on her face.

“well then I guess I will get out of the way I am going to see Diamond edge about my dress will you be wearing anything?” Luna asked casually.

“I have something set up,” she replied casually, as she glanced over at Paradox, his brow scrunched up a bit confused as to what she was up to. Luna vanished from sight along with Derpy. Celestia slapped the paper to the ground letting them scatter to the winds.

“So what are your spells?” asked Paradox,

“Nothing I got nothing,” she said, “Everyone clear out!” Celestia ordered as everyone took off out of the room as the doors slammed shut.

“Nothing?” Paradox repeated as the worry quickly caught up to the elder sister.

“Everything I can come up with is nothing but a band aid on a broken hoof. All that magical knowledge combined with her current state of mind created this. If she realizes this fact the two will combine and drive my sister crazy. I can’t control the magic seal it or anything with it being connected to my sister without causing her some form of harm. And if I don’t do something, Discord will just feed of the chaos and that’s a can of worms I don’t want to deal with!” she shouted as her voice echoed around the hall.

“well if it is an emotional issue maybe we can quiet those fears and that will get rid of the figment? “ Paradox offered,

“How, she hardly talks to me, she is more friendly with you than she is with me,” Celestia reminded.

“Maybe some appreciation?” Paradox said as her eyes shot open.

“She told you something didn’t she?” Celestia asked,

“She didn’t need to she’s jealous of you and I don’t think the color scheme is really helping either,” he said honestly.

“Fair point I hope this works, I only one other option if this goes south and it one I would prefer to avoid, I really don’t want to use those it will turn my sister to stone,” Celestia said more to herself. “Now then I want this to be a surprise so tell Diamond edge to keep her busy, I may need to gather up some help to keep her occupied, maybe give her a day in her big sister’s shoes.

“Could work just don’t push to far, that could cause more problems than it solves.” Paradox warned he already felt he was on thin ice dealing with things beyond his knowledge as it was.

“Steal sword take this to Diamond edge post haste,” she ordered as she wrote out a letter. she rolled it up and handed it to him. “Oh and tell Mrs. Pie to send any dinning issues to Princess Luna I find I can’t make up my mind on the cuisine and would love my sisters approval on it. And get me north star I wish to change the décor something more up her ally,” She ordered as the solider nodded and quickly dashed out of the hall.

“I don’t think this will really solve this issue,” Paradox replied,

“it doesn’t but it will make it much easier to talk to her about these things if I put her in a good mood,” Celestia admitted, “Besides she did as much work as I when dealing with Discord she deserves recognition for it.”

“Sounds fair,” Paradox replied, “Well I am going to go walk the halls I want to keep an eye on things,” he said. He walked out into the hall way when he felt a light bump.

“Oh sorry about that,” replied a calm voice as he glanced over to see a brown pony with a darker mane that spike up.

“No problem just wandering about,” Paradox said brushing it off. He looked at the pony in question nothing really stuck out about him. Well besides the hour glass on his rump.

“That’s quiet all right I was just looking for a friend of mind.” The pony replied. “Nice jacket I use to wear something like that,” the pony said as his eyes brightened at the coat.

“Thanks I never leave home without it,” He said with a smile as the went there separate ways. “Good luck finding your friend.”

“She’s my companion,” the pony called back as Paradox stopped dead looking back only to see an empty hall.

“I am going crazy,” Paradox said shaking his head, he said taking a breath and walking on his way making a mental note to keep an eye out for a blue box just in case.

“There you are,” came a voice as he was taken from his walk down the halls. He looked over to see Dimond Edge.

“I have your suit ready and I would like you to try it on if possible. But from the looks of it you don’t have much to do right now,” He chuckled. Paradox mustered up a bemused eye roll as he walked into the man’s study. He walked in the room and noticed Luna and Derpy were missing. “Before you ask I had my assistant keep them occupied with samples and a few of my lesser ideas.

“How long will that last?” Paradox asked, He suddenly heard a loud slam next door. Paradox was about to head to check it out.

“Well that was silver dish tripping over the coffee table I would say at least an hour if not longer,” He said smirking a bit. “That girl really needs get a pair of glasses,” he said as he picked up some folded clothing he had on the table.

Paradox quickly buttoned up the suit as he looked at himself in the mirror. He blinked at the pony that looked back. He could still recognize the black short hair his ears were a bit bigger than most still. But outside of those small details he looked nothing like his old self. He released a small sigh as he turned back to diamond edge.

“Not my best work, I will admit, but you don’t seem the type want something to over the top, if the simple leather coat wasn’t clue enough.” He said chuckling.

“There was a time I once wore a really colorful coat,” Paradox said with a slight smirk. He looked back at the mirror again when he noticed something mounted on the wall. “I didn’t know you had a sword.”

“Oh yes, a gentlemen must always be prepared, I had it crafted after Discords defeat it made of pure Diamond I felt it would be poetic given my name.” He said with a smirk, “Maybe I will bring It with me to night go for a more soldier look. I am not sure if the guards will let me all the same,” he said. “Anyway I best go tent to the princess feel free to walk around break in the new material as it were. especially if you plan to dance.”

“I would rather not,” Paradox knew were this was going as he suddenly vanished from the room.

“But you are such, a, good,” Edge looked around as he pushed his purple mane out of his eyes. “Should have known he would run off, well back to work,”

Paradox smirked a bit as he looked down the empty hall way no paintings no sculpture everything was just grey walls. “TO think a year ago someone like Discord was running amuck. Too bad I would have loved to has gone back a year to have seen that,” He said ignoring the ping in his chest he slowly walked around. “Well I got time he said looking at his wrist, maybe getting a watch would be a good idea,” he said realizing he no longer had it. “This waiting for the future thing is boring,” he grumbled to himself as he decided to just wander around.

Paradox eventually found himself back in the throne room. The room was now changed he looked up to see a blue smoke flowing on the ceiling. “Uh oh,” he said looking,

“Relax Paradox, nothing to worry about, just a simple spell, I plan on putting a few small stars up there darkening the lights and making it more like the night. Luna always did prefer the dark even before she started playing painter with the skies. Now then I got one more thing I need to take care of a dance partner for her.” Paradox suddenly felt very small in the Princess shadow.

“I am sure we can talk about this like two like minded and um, reasonable ponies,” he said his smile threatening to split his face in half.

“Who said I was reasonable?” she asked showing a smirk of her own as her shadow grew.

“I miss my big blue box so much right now,” Paradox whimpered.