• Published 7th Oct 2018
  • 1,257 Views, 41 Comments

Heart of Darkness - yellowtangerine



Discord is missing, and nopony else besides Fluttershy seems to care! Worried that something has happened to him, she leaves Ponyville to find him.

  • ...
0
 41
 1,257

Puppet-master

“So, you understand now?” Twilight asked gently. Fluttershy was sitting across from her, her expression as though she were trying to absorb too much information at once. Her nose wrinkled, a small tear dripping down her pale face. She turned away, hoping her friend wouldn’t see how emotional she felt. How weak.

“We were never trying to make a potion to defeat Discord. We’re trying to find an alternative cure to the potion he took,”

“I d-don’t understand why he would do this,”

Twilight shrugged, biting her lip. “All we know is true loves kiss just isn’t going to work-“ She blinked in shock and covered her mouth before she could say more. She wished she hadn’t said that.

“True loves kiss?” Fluttershy said softly, a strange stammer in her heart at those words. “Like in the Fairytales?”

Gulping, Twilight nodded.

“B-but, Discord doesn’t have a special somepony, d-does he?” Her arms crossed, eyes searching the room instead of meeting Twilight’s.

“No,” Twilight assured. “He doesn’t...but...” The Pegasus looked at her.

“But?”

Twilight put her hoof to her forehead, how did you tell somepony that her best friend is in love with her? Or was

“Fluttershy...have you ever noticed just how much Discord cares about you?” Fluttershy blinked at her.

“Of course. We’re so close, I can’t imagine life without him,”

“I know that you’re close,” If Fluttershy didn’t feel the same about Discord she was afraid they would have no choice but to turn him to stone. “But how do you...feel about him? Like...how does he make you feel?”

The Pegasus stared at her, brow furrowed, swallowing the lump in her throat. “Um well...I...” Her eyes flitted to the floor, her face suddenly heating up. Why was she feeling this way? All twilight had asked her was how she felt about Discord. Her best friend, Discord. She thought of him, his antics and chaos, his charming yet chaotic way of doing things. She felt her ears grow hotter as Twilight stared at her, waiting. “Why are you asking me this?”

Twilight took a deep breath, clasped her hooves together, then looked her friend in the eye. “Discord loves you, Fluttershy.” Fluttershy went to argue, but she stopped her. “That’s why he stole Zecora’s potion. That’s why he’s spreading chaos now. Without you in his heart, he’s no longer refraining himself from taking over Ponyville!”

“B-But- “

“I know this is a lot to take in. But I need to know, it’s very important. Do you feel the same?” Fluttershy blinked. Her heart stammered, pounding as each second ticked down. Answer her. Answer her. What’s the answer? What do I say? She’s waiting- she’s waiting! As embarrassment swallowed her entire body, she looked beyond Twilight’s shoulders where clouds were forming directly over her cottage.

“I have to see him!” Fluttershy exclaimed.

“Fluttershy wait!” Twilight called, but the Pegasus was far from her now.

Even from a small distance, Fluttershy could see it. Complete and utter chaos surrounded her once still home. The animals ran wild, some of them no longer the same species. Her cottage hung in the air as though controlled by a puppet-master, familiar laughter came from somewhere unseen.

“Discord!” She yelled, hoping he would hear her. Twilight had told her Discord didn’t remember her. She felt tears well up in her eyes. How could he do this? Was he afraid? It wasn’t like him to be afraid. And he didn’t need to be. She wouldn’t have…

Her eyes turned to the sky as a sudden cloud directed itself above her.

“Welcome,” A darker version of the voice she’d come to know so well greeted. “Who might you be?”

Author's Note:

Hello! This chapter is pretty short because I felt that was a good place to leave it before we really get into the climax.