• Published 7th Oct 2018
  • 1,257 Views, 41 Comments

Heart of Darkness - yellowtangerine



Discord is missing, and nopony else besides Fluttershy seems to care! Worried that something has happened to him, she leaves Ponyville to find him.

  • ...
0
 41
 1,257

The potion

After Fluttershy left, Twilight realized it wasn’t fair to brush off the Pegasus’ concerns. Fluttershy had been right, it was strange that Discord wasn’t writing her back. Discord was a lot of things, but if he knew Fluttershy was worried sick about him, he would ease her concerns. Perhaps he was busy spreading chocolate rain and his favorite new invention, ‘alligator-bunnies’.

So, she walked through the Everfree forest, fighting the urge to turn back. Her wings folded to her body as sounds of the wildlife scattered around her. Fluttershy had left a note on her Cottage door saying she was staying in Cloudsdale with her parents for a while. Twilight couldn’t help but feel responsible, so she had decided to seek help in a trustworthy friend.

Zecora greeted her at the hut in her usual cadence. The two hugged briefly and sat across from one another. Twilight explained the situation, hoping Zecora could shed some light on what had happened to Discord.

“I have the answers you seek, for the one who is so anxious and meek,”

“Fluttershy,” Twilight said. Zecora nodded.

“She’s so worried about him…worried that something bad has happened to him,” Twilight told her.

“Discord I have seen. He came seeking some special medicine. A potion of my own making, but not for his taking,”

Twilight cocked her head. “Why would he want your potion?”

Zecora sighed, her eyes to the floor. “To have feelings naught is what the Draconequus sought,”

“Discord…wanted to rid himself…of feelings?” Twilight guessed, eyebrows furrowed. “Why?”

“He would not tell me why, but my guess is it is something to do with miss Fluttershy,”

Twilights eyes widened, mouth agape and then shut again. She gulped, “Did…did you give him the potion?”

Shaking her head, the zebra gestured to a broken chest across the room. “Chaos magic can break even my own spell…The Draconequus knew this well,”

“So, he’s out there somewhere, with no feelings whatsoever?”

“Feelings of love are what the potion disposes of,” Zecora said, ashamed. “I should tell you this…the potion can only be cured by true loves kiss…”

“Discord has no true love!” Twilight exclaimed, beads of sweat beginning to form on her face. If Discord had no feelings of love, he was bound to do something drastic. She needed to find him and quickly…but then what?

“You are mistaken,” Zecora said, disturbing her thoughts. “We both know someone with whom he is quite taken,”

Fluttershy?” Twilight asked absurdly. “But she doesn’t…does she?”

Zecora nodded, no words needed.

Twilight opened her mouth, a sad expression forming on her face. She had discouraged Fluttershy and her fears, not knowing the extent of the Pegasus’ feelings. Perhaps she was unaware of them herself?

As she approached her castle, she knew what she would have to do. Twilight knew it wasn’t going to be easy. This was going to take a sizable amount of magic and most of her energy. But she knew if she didn’t find Discord and soon, something horrible could happen. The only reason he even gave up using his power for evil was because of Fluttershy. Now that his love for her was gone…

She shuddered. “Okay Twilight, you can do this,” She encouraged herself. “You’re only about to attempt to break a chaos-based blocking spell. No biggie,”

Focusing on a plush Discord he himself had given her, a purple aura expelled from her horn. She struggled against whatever force was blocking her, eyes tightly shut and sweat forming on her face.

“Come on,” She muttered through bared teeth. “Let me in!”

Her muscles strained, power concentrating from her horn and enveloping the room around her. Suddenly darkness enveloped her, she was no longer standing in her Castle. Panic washed over her as she found herself in a boundless void, floating aimlessly. Then, a speck of light appeared in the distance and a dull, white floor manifested. She fell, only to have her wings catch her before she could hit it. Her hooves landing gently on the floor echoed.

Looking up, her eyes exchanged with the source of the chaos. Discord.

“Hello Sparky,” He greeted her. Something dark radiated from him now; darker than when they had first met.

She dusted herself off and stood across from him. He stared at her boredly, waiting.

“Discord you’re…different…” Twilight observed, staring at him in unease.

“How so?” He mused.

“Do you remember what you did?” She asked, watching him hover around impishly.

“Regarding the potion I…acquired? Yes. Although I don’t recall much of the who…but I suppose a potion to remove love from your heart will do that to you,” He remarked jovially, a dark chuckle escaping his lips. “I can’t even remember whats-her-name, or why I even…loved her… to begin with!”

Twilight felt herself grow angry. “Her name is Fluttershy,” She hissed. “And she’s been worried sick about you!”

He shrugged, floating towards her on his back. “None of this is my problem anymore. I have ceased caring. It is so freeing, dear Twilight. You must try some,” He offered the potion to her in his claw. Her nose wrinkled at the stench of it and she slapped it away. It soared through the air, only to disappear before it could hit the ground and reappear in his paw.

“Very well,” He motioned. “It’s not for everypony.”

“I don’t want to get rid of the love in my heart,” She sneered. “You shouldn’t have done this, Discord,”

“Why not?” He asked. “After all, I’m not bothering anypony. Nor am I hurting anypony…”

“You’re hurting Fluttershy!” She reminded him.

“Who?” He asked, turning.

Twilight let out a yell of frustration. Then she turned to face him, restraining herself. “You loved her once,” She tried to say calmly. “You idiotically drank a potion to forget her,”

Discord made a face, suddenly remembering. “Ah, that Fluttershy,”

Twilight looked at him desperately. “Don’t you remember being reformed? The reason why you’re not made of stone right now!?”

He put his claw to his lip, thinking. “I remember being stone… then suddenly I was out! Being told I would use my powers for good. You and your friends are there…But Shutterfly? She’s simply not.”

“S-Saving us from Chrysalis?” Twilight countered.

“I don’t know why I did that,” He responded, fiddling jadedly with some toy.

She backed away, eyes wide with concern. She remembered Zecora’s words. “I have to find Fluttershy…”

Discord looked up from his toy. “Who?”

But she was gone.

Author's Note:

So, this chapter is a little rough. There are probably some errors but I'll go over it once I have time. I would have uploaded it sooner but I wanted to revise it because I didn't really like it and I still kind of don't. But I hope you do! Thanks for reading :)