• Published 10th Dec 2011
  • 3,553 Views, 43 Comments

Love, Ponies, and a Dragon - pencil pony



Teenaged Spike finally acts on his feelings for Rarity

  • ...
3
 43
 3,553

Chapter 1

“Spiiiike!” Twilight called from the main room of the library. “It's breakfast time Spike!”

Spike ignored her, between breakfast and sleeping in, he chose sleeping in every time. He stretched out and yawned, his toes scraping the foot board, and twisted around to find a more comfortable position.

Spike had gotten his own room a couple of years ago, when Twilight decided he'd grown too large to sleep in a basket. Since the day he moved in the room was a complete mess. Books sat all over the place, what little clothing he owned was sitting on the floor, and empty bowls, glasses and mugs were everywhere.

Twilight opened the door and quietly trotted up to Spike's bed.

“Come ON Spike.” She wrapped her forelegs around one of his legs and tried to pull the dragon off his bed, but she could only move him a few inches. Twilight let go, exhausted. In the last few years Spike had grown to be about as large as Big Macintosh, but dragons scales, a thick tail and a set of wings made him almost twice as heavy.

She looked at him and rolled her eyes, then her horn lit up an Spike was enveloped in a magical aura. As carefully as she could Twilight levitated Spike, blanket and all, downstairs into the library.

Spike's eyes snapped open when he heard a bowl come to rest on the table next to his head. He sat up and realised he was in the middle of the breakfast table.

“Oh good, you're awake.”

“That was a dirty trick!”

Twilight smiled, “Come down and eat your breakfast.”

Spike climbed off the table and began to eat from a large bowl of porridge.

“Anyway Spike.” said Twilight after several moments of silence. “I've got an errand for you to run.”

Spike groaned. “But I'm busy today.”

“Doing what?”

“Umm, listening to music?”

Twilight Sighed. “Okay fine, I guess I'LL deliver that step ladder to Rarity's boutique.”

“Rarity?”

“Mhmm”

“Now that you mention it, I think I do have a spare slot in my busy schedule.”

“Uh huh” Twilight playfully punched Spike one the shoulder. “Anyway Rarity is repainting her boutique today, that's why she needs the ladder. Applejack was going to help her but she's sick. I bet Rarity could use a big strong dragon to help get the job done.”

She smiled mischievously. “But since we don't have one of those I guess you'll have to do instead.”

“Hey! I'll have you know that I'm the biggest strongest, dragon in Ponyville!”

“Don't forget you're still a baby by dragon standards.”

“Yeah well, I'm the biggest, strongest baby in Ponyville as well.” Said the dragon flexing his arm muscles

Twilight giggled at the posturing dragon. “just finish your breakfast and go take that ladder to Rarity.”

Spike quickly polished off his breakfast, let out a loud belch, (much to Twilight's revulsion) and excused himself from the table.

-----

Spike hummed a tune as he made his way through Ponyville carrying the step ladder. it was a beautiful, sunny, day and he was going to see the pony he had had a crush on since he had first come to Ponyville, Spike couldn't be much happier.

A lot of ponies were about today, also enjoying the fine weather, most of them greeted Spike by name, there was only one dragon in Ponyville so he was fairly well known, and he greeted them back, sometimes just waving and smiling when he couldn't remember a particular ponies name.

“Hey Spike!”

He turned around to see three ponies trotting up to him, he definitely knew the name of these three young fillies.

“Oh hey Scoots, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle.”

The three friends were on summer holidays from school, they would be starting their final year in a few weeks. Spike admired how much they had changed in a few short years. He remembered them as foals, now they were fully grown, and thankfully had acquired their Cutie Marks long ago.

“Where are you taking that ladder?” Asked Sweetie Belle in her perfect singing voice. She had grown up to look almost exactly like Rarity, except that she wore her mane in tight curls and her cutie mark was a diamond with a musical note in it.

“Oh I'm taking it to Rarity, she's painting the boutique.”

“Man spike, why don't you just ask her out already? You've been after her for years.” Scootaloo was easily the most athletic of the three, Spike could easily make out the finely honed muscles on her legs and back, her mane and tail were cropped short and combed back to reduce drag in her own words. Crossed, chequered flags adorned her flank.

Sweetie Belled and Scootaloo giggled, causing Spike to blush.

“Well I think it's sweet.” Apple Bloom rose to Spike's defence, she trotted over to Spike and turned to face the two laughing ponies.

“You're just jealous cuz no boys like you!” Apple Bloom stood a few inches taller than her two friends, her back legs were thickly muscled, owing to the fact that she'd began to help her older siblings with tree bucking a few seasons ago. No-pony was surprised when Apple Blooms cutie mark turned out to be a big red apple, although the pink love heart in the middle was a unique touch.

“Colts love me!” snapped Scootaloo, “Snails asked me out just yesterday.”

“Yeah, you know you're popular with colts when snails asks you out.” Replied Apple Bloom sarcastically.

Applebloom Sweetie Belle and Spike all began laughing, leaving Scootaloo looking somewhat annoyed.

“Oh don't worry Scoots.” Said Spike between laughs. “We don't mean it, we know you're more into mares anyway!” The three of them started laughing again.

Scootaloo was fuming, she had been caught making out with a mare behind the school house last year and no-pony had ever let her forget it.

“Yeah... well...” Scootaloo tried to think of something to say. “I bet you I can get a better date for the summer sun festival”

“OOOOOHHHHH...” Went Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle at the same time.

“Yeah... well...” Spike wasn't sure how to respond. “Prepare to lose because I'm going to bring Rarity to the festival.”

“OOOOOHHHHH...”

“Hah, yeah right, if you bring Rarity then I'll do your chores for Twilight for a week.”

“OOOOOHHHHH...”

“And if you can bring some handsome stallion then I'll do your homework for a week when you start school again.”

“WAIT!” Apple Bloom cried out. “What if you both manage to bring a date?”

Scootaloo thought for a moment. “Then you and Sweetie Belle can be the judges, you have to decide whose date is better!”

Sweetie Belle and Applebloom high hoofed.

Spike lifted the ladder and continued on to Rarity's boutique, “I hope you like sorting books!” He called out as he walked away.

“I hope YOU like algebra!” Scootaloo called in response, her wings flaring up in an intimidating fashion.

-----

When Spike finally arrived at the boutique he spotted Rarity wearing a rain coat and carefully levitating the smallest brush she could find, delicately applying paint to the outside of the boutique. She had an intense look of concentration on her face.

“I think you should use a bigger brush!” Spike called out. “It's going to take a few weeks doing it that way.”

“Oh Spike!” Rarity exclaimed, turning to face the dragon. “PLEEEAAASE tell me you're here to help me.”

Of course by help she actually meant do almost all of the work, Spike didn't mind though, he always did work for Rarity, trying to impress the beautiful mare. Spike gulped however when he remembered his encounter with Scootaloo. The Summer Sun festival was only three days away, Spike would have to ask Rarity out today.

“Yeah, of course, uhhh, don't want paint in your mane.”

“Exactly Spike! At least some-pony around here understands the need for cleanliness.”

Spike smiled a goofy smile, before picking the largest roller he could find and beginning to paint.

-----

The sun was beginning to set when Spike stood back to admire his handy work. The boutique was fully painted and ready to withstand another fifteen years or so of Ponyville weather.

Spike had also managed to get a great deal of paint on himself, his purple scales splattered with white, blue and pink paint. He was just glad to be finished however.

“Magnificent Spike!” Rarity trotted out of the front door, levitating a basket of gems in front of her. “Some left overs from a recent project, I'd like you to have them.”

“Thanks Rarity.” Spike said, beaming a smile and taking the basket with his claw. “Ummmm... Uhhhh...” Spike was looking for the right words.

“What is it Spike? Is something wrong?”

“No, of course not. It's just... well I was hoping... you know the Summer Sun Festival is this weekend?”

“Yes.”

“Well, I was looking for a date and I hoped you would take me?”


“Oh... oh” Rarity knew that Spike had had a crush on her for a very long time, but this sudden proposition took her by surprise. “Well I think you're very sweet Spike, but I've already agreed to go with a friend of mine, he's visiting from Canterlot.”

Spike felt his heart skip a beat “Oh, that's... that's ok. Well I hope you have fun.”

“I'm so sorry Spike, I wish you had asked me sooner.”

“That's ok.” Spike responded, turning around to leave. “Thanks for the gems.”

Rarity sat on the ground and watched Spike walk away, she felt horrible letting him down like that, especially since it had taken years for him to finally make his feelings known. She watched the dragon saunter off and sighed to herself.