• Published 28th Mar 2019
  • 378 Views, 47 Comments

Nights on Horlick's Hill - RarityEQM



A collection of conversations between Scootaloo and Diamond Dancer

  • ...
 47
 378

Night 2

"So how'd you learn to fly?"

Diamond's ears perked thoughtfully at the question and she shifted her position from watching the stars in the sky, to peering at the orange ball of fuzz and feathers sitting across from her. She shrugged her shoulders and frowned.

"I uh...I kinda just picked up on it. I started with a flutter-step, and worked my way up. I mean, I wasn't really any good at it until I started training to fly into space," she replied, a quiet sense of morose riding along her words. Scootaloo frowned herself and quickly turned away to gaze back up at the stars that twinkled over head. At times she wasn't entirely sure if Diamond really believed she could fly into space, or if she were just trying to fool herself into believing she could. Other times, she swear she could sense something darker behind her constant talk of reaching the stars.

"How long did you practice your Flutter-step?" came the reply from the other side of the hill.

"I started by trying to jump from one block of concrete on the sidewalk to another. I'd measure how far I'd go, then I'd jump again and see how much further I got by flapping my wings. It took me a few years before I even gained any air from my wings. But once I managed to go a whole extra block without touching the ground I knew I was set, " Diamond explained, peering into the infinite blackness of the night. It seemed so much brighter somehow, as if everything on display were illuminated by the stars.

"I haven't done that in a while...maybe I oughta give it another shot," Scootaloo mumbled.

"Couldn't hurt. It's the best I can do some days,"

"Still better than me on anyday."

"You think practicing your Flutter-step is hard? You should try practicing a Shadow-Step sometime."

"A Shadow-Step?"

"It's a 'Shadow Servant' thing. High ranking members of Luna's court can walk through shadows like they were doorways. Pocket Dimensions, or something. Jump into one shadow and come out of another!"

"Thats really cool! Have you ever done it?! Can you teach me?!" Scootaloo asked, a sudden excitement darting in her eyes. Diamond scoffed.

"HA! HAHAHAHA! As if I could! I have run into so many solid walls trying to learn how to do it! It takes years and years of practice just to move a coupla lousy inches! The only one on the team that I've seen do it properly is Nettleglum and she's...well she's....she's on a whole different level. Tartarus, she's in a whole different plane of existence!"

"Ugh. I think I'll stick to flying,"

"I'd wish to learn how to Shadow-step if I could get past the fear of ending up trapped or something in there. "

"Whoa, you can get trapped in shadows?!"

"I think so,"

"Freaky, "

"Hey, speaking of wishes, whats on the schedule for tonight?" Diamond pipped. Scootaloo frowned and sat up thoughtfully.

"What number were we on?"

"Ninth?"

"Tenth, I thought, cause, remember the ostrich?"

"Oh yeah..."

"Right. Ok, we're wishing for a trip to Happy Fun World,"

"Is that what the list said?"

"The wish list never lies, Diamond,"

"I accept the will of the Wish List," Diamond giggled quietly, She was joined in her amusement by Scootaloo, before both of them rolled back onto the grass and let their gaze drift towards the stars.