• Published 11th Dec 2011
  • 2,136 Views, 131 Comments

A Two Pony Trick - BubblesOnMyButt



Dusk Star is a unicorn who develops a split personality which turns out to be more than it seems.

  • ...
1
 131
 2,136

Dawn's Story

Warmth, love, acceptance... all of these feelings were unwelcome. Poly squeezed and her tight embrace became inescapable, then Dusk began to take control and he returned the favor. It was too much, retreat was the only solution. Dawn burst across the maze of Dusk's mind. To him it was a never ending labyrinth that he had been forced to live in for too long. Deeper and deeper into the labyrinth he ran trying to get away, but the sun was rising over the horizon still. Its light burned, its warmth irritated, the whole sun was a menace. Poly was a menace.

Suddenly, it seemed as though some great and powerful force was ripping him upwards. Dawn hooved at the ground and tried to grab onto anything he could but there was no success. He was heaved high into the air and as he continued his flight he was exposed to more and more sun. He burst into flames and began to burn away, he had to escape even if all of his carefully laid plans where to be thrown away for the time being at least. He tapped into Dusk's magical wellspring, the source of magic that resides in a unicorn, and focused it around himself to create a capsule. He hoped that Dusk would notice the magical build up and try to dispel it. He did.

The landing was rough, the pain numbed him. The pain... numbed him... He though about this for a little bit before he came to the fully realize what it meant. His plan was working, it was moving along splendidly. Until he discovered himself inside of a mirror that is. He gazed through the "window" and into the opposite world, Poly was dragging Dusk down the steps and out to safety. Dawn would have to cut his loses for now. He got what he needed and with it, it would only be a matter of time before Dusk was back. All he had to do was wait.

Alone, so alone. Dawn waited in the void, he knew that Dusk would be back soon enough. Dawn found that there was no more of a labyrinth to wander anymore, just a house. He felt sad that he had misjudged the previously retched place. He missed it, all he could do here was walk through the windows and the single mirror in the house and that was no fun. Then he remembered something. Actually, he remembered a lot of somethings. He had Dusk's memories, a byproduct of tapping into his magical wellspring. Dawn reviewed each memory meticulously and learned what he could from them. If he were to make it back out into the world he would need to know how to act. Not knowing how to act and cover up secrets had already caused him to slip out bits of his plan already and contributed greatly to him becoming imprisoned. He needed to learn how to blend in better. He needed to learn how to become Dusk.

Months passed. Isolation was beginning to crack Dawn, he had already gone through the memories twice plus the first time he had actually experienced it. He was becoming bored of it. Day by Day he would go over the same things again and again. One day he snapped and in a fit began to dash around the full house, burning off excess steam. He had focused so long on Dusk that he was starting to forget the most important things of all. He was starting to forget his carefully constructed plan, he was forgetting his origins, his goals. He was forgetting who he was. Then he somehow tripped in the reflection and crashed into the barrier, shattering the glass window he ran through. The back window was broken open now, he stared for a moment. He had broken the window... his plan was coming back to him.

He started to go over the memories with a new fervor. Anytime he began to lose track of what he was doing he would go and smash a new window and be reminded of his ultimate goal. Time was no longer a problem, he knew that Dusk would be back once the urge to have his memories back became strong enough. Plus he needed more time to mature, he needed to find an alias that would make it seem as though he had changed. Over time he did change even if he didn't notice. Dawn became patient, gentler, and more accepting. He also became more cunning.

Years. He had been there for nearly 6 years since he had been left there. Dawn had taken up meditation 2 years ago and eventually found it redundant. There was no point in focusing on thoughts that he had experienced for years. He became infuriated, he couldn't wait anymore. He lost his patience only for a moment and he punched the barrier in the mirror and it shattered slightly. He stopped himself before he completely destroyed his window into the world. Patience, he just needed to wait...

There was movement downstairs, after all of these years somepony was coming and he knew who it was.
"Dawn? are you there?"

...

"It's been a long time Dusk. A very long time."

...

"Welcome home."

Dusk touched his hoof to the glass as waited for the gesture to be returned. 'It's nearly been six years now," Dawn though to himself, "Let's see how much you have grown." Dawn touched his hoof the the opposite side of the glass and there was a flash. He felt free again, he felt great. 'Dawn, I would like my memories back. It took me a while but I figured you have them.' Enlightenment was something Dusk had hoped for ever since he had lost his memories and finally he felt it. Then he remembered some crucial details that made his excitement die down for a moment. 'Dawn, if I ever catch you acting out or trying to hurt anypony then I will banish you again.' Dawn responded respectfully, 'Don't worry Dusk, I've changed.' Dusk felt this too, it did feel as though he had changed. He didn't know if it was for the better though...

'So Dusk, why don't you fill me in on what I missed...'

...

'I need your help again, Dawn. Just don't fail me this time.'

...

'Don't worry Dusk, I'm done failing.'