• Published 11th Dec 2011
  • 2,135 Views, 131 Comments

A Two Pony Trick - BubblesOnMyButt



Dusk Star is a unicorn who develops a split personality which turns out to be more than it seems.

  • ...
1
 131
 2,135

Changing Subjects and Hobbies

Art class continued and many not-so-wonderful "masterpieces" were born. On the other half, however, a couple did find this to be something they were natural at, were born to do even. Those who did found a cutie mark on their flank. Vivid colors detailed the canvases, perfect brushwork became a sight to see, smiles grew. Poly had no such luck though. She rushed perfection and the wet paints would mix on the canvas, the brush strokes would smear, or she would drop another cup of paint. Both she and Dusk were still covered in paint from the earlier incident and had opted out of washing off in order to have more time to work. Dusk sat back and watch the eager filly practically throw herself across the canvas in attempts to reach sections that were out of reach. "Whoa!", Poly uttered before falling again. Dusk help her up quickly and chuckled with her only after he was sure that she was OK.

"Well, it's obvious I'm no good, huh?" She smiled warmly and awaited his response. "Positively horrible." He smiled back, it hurt to tell the truth but it was obvious she would hurt him if he didn't. "Here you go.", she chirped as she handed over the brush that she had not used, "It's your turn now." Dusk thanked her and accepted the brush. Although he would be painting he wouldn't bother putting his full attention into it. He just left his hooves to do his work while he pondered what had happened earlier. 'Dawn, you answer me right now. What the hay happened back there?' Inside of Dusk's mind he saw a pony walk forward out of the darkness. 'Whatever do you mean Dusk?', his eyes hardened to a glare with the statement. 'There was somepony else here, you killed him. I heard him beg for mercy and I heard you give a threat before he disappeared. Now cut the act, I want answers.' Dawn circled Dusk and began what felt like what would become a monologue.

'Fine you want answers? I'll give you some.' Dusk really hoped this wouldn't become a monologue. 'I told you to stay away from Poly, she would become a danger to both of us. Yet you ignored me and now we have a new problem. There are more of us now.' Dusk was confused, 'What do you mean there are more of us now? What are you talking about?' Dawn stopped or a moment and stared at Dusk through the corner of his eye. 'Nothing, nothing. You know what? You can continue with all of your frolicking and whatever else you do to take up your time, just be careful.' His expression lightened, 'So what are you doing now? You know, back out in the world.'

'WHAT THE HAY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!! YOU SAID YOU WOULD TELL ME THE TRUTH!!! DON'T JUST CHANGE THE SUBJECT!!!' The hairs on Dusk's back stood on end, he was frustrated with Dawn's lies and changes in moods. 'You heard me, what are you doing in the real world? By the way, I would calm down if I were you...' Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale. Within moments Dusk was back in control, 'Why did you remind me? You could've escaped at any time while I was enraged.' Dawn began to walk back into the darkness, back into Dusk's deepest sections of his mind, 'Because right now you need to go back into the world and learn what you can. Oh, and before I forget. If you find a talent that you are good at, don't stop there. Once you figure out how to work a craft just move on.' With that, Dawn was gone.

'The nerve of him...' Dusk returned to the world outside of his mind and saw that everypony had fallen silent. He looked around and saw that everypony was staring wide eyed at both Dusk and his canvas. When Dusk saw what he had done subconsciously his reaction became theirs. On his canvas was a beautiful landscape with elevations and drops, flowing grasslands, small ponies playing in the distance, and it all looked so real. It was shocking to say the least. He put his brush down and stepped back. "Did I do this?", asked Dusk who was in more disbelief then everypony else. Poly nodded excitedly and congratulated him on his wondrous work, Ms. Green gave him books on art and asked if he would study them, many of his classmates came forward and asked how he did it. He had no clue, but from that day on anytime he drew something it turned out spectacular. The entire week that the class worked on art nopony came up with something better than what he had painted. Oddly enough, he never got his cutie mark either.

...

Even if it meant he followed Dawn's advice, he would move onto the next skill.

...

Something deep inside of him felt like learning more.