• Published 22nd Sep 2018
  • 1,744 Views, 45 Comments

Like Sister, Like Student - Bronyxy



Sink holes are appearing near Ponyville and the Royal Sisters know they must stop the Diamond Dogs before ponies get hurt. The only ponies who can deputise in their absence are Twilight and Nyx. How will Nyx react? Is she ready for such power again?

  • ...
7
 45
 1,744

2 New Challenges

At a quarter to six, the excited filly ran out onto the uppermost balcony above the library and placed a forehoof on the telescope, aligning it to the north east and pressed up close to the eye-piece, straining to catch the first glimpse of Princess Luna’s chariot approaching from Canterlot.

After about ten minutes of searching, she finally spotted a dot that slowly morphed into the dark purple royal chariot she had been waiting for. It was indeed pulled by two ponies in dark purple armour that matched the chariot, and she watched spellbound as they turned on to finals to make their approach to land in front of her home, knowing that they had come all that way just for her.

The chariot pulled up outside the Golden Oak library just as the chimes for six o’clock faded from the Ponyville clock tower. Nyx stood wide eyed at the doorway with Twilight just gathering the last few things she needed behind her.
“Mom!” she gasped, “They’re so cool!”
“Well, why don’t you go over and say hello then?” prompted Twilight.
“Can I?” she asked and sprang forward enthusiastically, slowing down when she got closer as she suddenly appreciated how big the Bat Ponies were.

“Good afternoon Sirs” said Twilight unfazed, catching up to her dumbstruck daughter.
“Good afternoon, Princess Twilight” they replied deferentially.
“I don’t know if you’ve met Nyx, the newest member of the Night Guard’s fan club?” she continued with a dazzling smile.
“No Princess, I don’t believe we’ve had the pleasure of being introduced to the young Lady” the nearest one responded, shooting a cheeky smile to the shy filly who found herself edging behind Twilight in a reflex action.
“It’s OK, Nyx” she said reassuringly, “They won’t bite.”

Nyx regained some of her self-confidence and straightened up, looking to her mother for approval before approaching the two powerful looking stallions.
“Love the eyes, kid” said one of the Bat Ponies, admiring Nyx’s vertically slit pupils.
“Nice wings” said the other, “Heard you take flying lessons with Princess Luna.”
“Thank you” she stammered, “I just hadn’t realised how big you are.”
“Sure we’re big kid, you need strong ponies to pull chariots, and Princess Luna picked us for the job personally.”
“Wow! We sure are honoured” Twilight chipped in, “Nothing but the best for us today then!”
“Want to hop in now, kid” said the nearest Bat Pony, “We’d better get moving if we’re going to reach Canterlot on time.”
The two VIP passengers mounted the chariot in a most ladylike manner which would have earned even Rarity’s approval and settled back as they were whisked away with the sun behind them, out over Ponyville and off towards Canterlot.

As the chariot descended through the dying rays of the day’s sun, deepening shadows extended their long pointy figures out over the landscape, making a grasp for the last isolated patches of brightness.

Nyx snuggled in close to Twilight and looked up at her, her big teal eyes expressing a mixture of excitement and gratitude. Twilight looked back at her daughter and couldn’t withhold giving her a gentle and reassuring hug, a happy smile breaking out across her face.
“Look Nyx” she said pointing towards the city laid out before them, pinpricks of individual lights just starting to flicker into life amongst the random collection of different shaped buildings, “Magical isn’t it?”

Twilight felt a little shiver run through the jet black alicorn holding her close, but didn’t ask; she was just savouring the intimacy of the moment and knew that Nyx was comfortable enough in her company to speak if she wanted.
“Princess Luna’s taught me to recognise Canterlot at night from every angle according to the shapes made by the rows of street lights” she replied, “But I still think of it as a toy town full of dolls’ houses and tiny ponies.”
Twilight’s smile grew wider and she felt a tear start to form in her eye as she wanted to capture this moment of cuteness in a bottle, so she could open it when times got hard, just to remind her of the wonderful moments that parenthood had given her.

The chariot executed a turn and Nyx sat bolt upright, ears pricked attentively as she could see the Royal Castle now directly in front of her. She marvelled at how the two charioteers worked as one, never needing to talk to each other, but instinctively knowing what was needed and what role each would take and what their partner would do to achieve it.

As they descended lower, Nyx could see two ponies waiting to greet them; one white and one midnight blue. Although she knew them both individually, it was nonetheless unusual to be met by both together. There was a time when this may have caused her concern, but now given the more convivial relationship between all of them, she regarded the prospect with unbridled excitement.

The charioteers made minute corrections then descended through a slight wind shear to place their VIP payload effortlessly onto the ground with barely a bump, coming to a stop immediately adjacent to the Royal Sisters. A footpony scurried forward to assist the guests from the chariot and Twilight extended a hoof to meet that which he proffered as she regally dismounted. Nyx fought the urge to jump down and instead remembered Rarity’s etiquette lessons, waiting behind until the footpony returned to assist her, duplicating the aplomb shown by her mother.

“Welcome Twilight, Nyx” said Celestia, moving forward to greet her guests, and turning to face the filly, “I trust you had a pleasant journey?”
“It was amazing!” replied Nyx. She embraced Celestia warmly and then Luna, “Thank you for allowing us to use your chariot and for sending your very best Bat Ponies!”
“I can tell them if you like” said Luna, “Or you can thank them yourselves if you would rather?”
“Oh, yes please!”
Luna led the enthusiastic filly to meet the charioteers who delighted in the praise from the adoring young filly, whose resemblance to their own beloved Princess was only counterpointed when seeing the two of them together.

Twilight and Celestia shared another affectionate hug, both glad that past differences had been laid to rest, even if the memories remained to remind both of them of the limits they had grown to accept in the other.
“Thank you for the invitation Celestia. I know you must be really busy.”
“Oh, there’s nothing new in politics. Everypony believes their own problems to be unique and intractable, but to be honest, I’ve seen every type of dispute over hundreds of years; the skill comes in trying to remember which approach worked best each time.”
“Nyx looks very grown up in her dress” continued Celestia, “I’m guessing that it has only just been hoof stitched by Rarity?”
“She’d love to hear that compliment from you, I’m certain of it” replied Twilight.

Just then, the opportunity presented itself as Luna and Nyx rejoined the other two Princesses.
“I was just saying to Twilight how well that dress suits you” said Celestia.
“Thank you Princess” she replied coyly.
“This is, I believe the first time we have seen you in a dress” commented Luna appreciatively, “Unless we were to include the Nightmare Moon costume you wore in the play during the Ponyville Spring Festival.”
Nyx shifted a little awkwardly at the reference, but Luna leaned in and gave her a friendly nuzzle showing that there was no jibe intended.
“Now, I think we have an appointment to keep” said Celestia, looking towards the midnight blue mare.
“You are quite correct Sister” said Luna, “Time waits for nopony.”
With that cryptic exchange, the party of four alicorns set off for the Royal balcony.

Emerging through the grand hall onto the balcony was an experience, suddenly revealing the majesty of Equestria laid out from the idyllic vantagepoint.
“Nyx” said Luna, “Come stand close to me please.”
While Celestia and Twilight exchanged a few words, Luna turned to face Nyx.
“You are aware that the story of your creation is unlike any other pony in the history of Equestria” she began, “And that you were summoned from the shreds of Nightmare Moon. This means that you are more closely related to me than any other pony, even Twilight whom you think of as your mother. I have many roles in Equestria, most of which are linked in some way or another to dark magic, which is why I control the realm of night. You have made great progress in your magical studies Nyx, and now I feel you are ready to try your hoof at one of my most important tasks - raising the moon.”

Nyx trembled as she felt a shudder run through her, could this be for real? Was Princess Luna expecting her to raise the moon by herself?
As she watched, the sun sank gracefully to the horizon. If she had taken the opportunity to look towards the other two ponies on the balcony, she would have seen a magenta aura reaching out to the sun, laying it to rest.

She looked at Luna, who met her gaze and said, “Think hard about summoning the moon, Nyx. Picture it and feel it responding to your call. I will be with you to make sure nothing goes wrong. Do not worry, just see if you can do it.”
Nyx focused her mind, gradually closing out everything else around her and then reached out to the moon, willing it to rise. Her aura rose in intensity, reflecting the effort she was channelling and then, much to her surprise, the silvery orb began to peep out from the horizon.

Buoyed up by this success, she applied herself even harder and watched, shocked, as it shot straight up into the sky and wobbled uncertainly in a crazy dance.
“Eeep!” whimpered Nyx, fearing the effect of her inexpert spellcraft.
“Focus” said Luna softly by her side.
Gradually the moon’s position stabilised and it assumed its position just above the horizon.

Nyx let out a huge sigh of relief and turned to look not at Twilight, but up at Luna, who smiled happily back at her.
“You have done very well for your first time, Nyx” she said, “I am proud of you.”
The young filly suddenly became aware of the clapping of hooves from her mother and the Sun Princess and turned to see two more smiling faces. She felt happy, no, far more than that, she was ecstatic, and giggled as she did a little dance in celebration.