• Published 24th Aug 2018
  • 1,582 Views, 104 Comments

A New Hope - computerneek



War has come to Equestria- and they're losing. If even the Elements can't stop their enemy, what weapon could Discord possibly be looking for?

  • ...
2
 104
 1,582

Chapter 5

Fluttershy follows the Minotaur with her necklace out of the building. The plan isn’t going very well- as a matter of fact, she’s pretty sure they’re playing with them. She hears a low pop in the distance. Her ear pricks- and she sees more than one of the guards ‘happening along’ in the field also prick their ears, glancing in the direction it had come from: The wall. The North wall, to be specific.

She chooses to disregard it. She’s close to her Element, she’s not about to give up. She creeps further forwards. The Minotaurs don’t seem to have noticed the pop.

“What’re you looking at?” one of the Minotaurs asks one of the Guards.

The mess hall explodes. Violently. She spots at least one Minotaur form fly over the wall, thrown by the blast.

The one carrying her Element nearly drops it, staring at the destruction.

The Guards almost panic.

The inquiring Minotaur growls as he marches forwards on the Guards. “What are you looking at?” he demands again.

He shakes his head. “I don’t know. I heard-!”

She lets out a scream as the admin building behind her explodes. The Minotaur carrying her Element jumps- tossing it in the air. Sensing an opportunity, she bolts forwards.

She sees a Guard’s eyes widening as he sees what she’s trying to do. It looks like he wants to stop her.

Right. She hasn’t told them who she is. They’d explicitly requested she not, actually- and only asked if she thought she could perform her part of the plan. She’d been certain she could.

She sticks her head through her necklace, and keeps going. If any other pony, Minotaur, or other grown language-using creature were to do this, save only the other Element Bearers, the Element of Kindness would reject them- and fall off.

On her, though, she sticks her head through it backwards. The gemstone is set to land on her withers- but it glows suddenly as she runs. The necklace spins around her neck, orienting itself correctly. The gemstone thumps firmly against her chest as she breaks into a full gallop.

She has her Element back.

And, on a side note, all the guards now know who she is. The Element of Kindness would not have performed that same correction on any other pony.

Something catches her tail- and she has a sudden revelation.

The Minotaurs also know who she is. That’s exactly what the Guards had been trying to avoid.

She lets out a scream as she crumples to the ground. The Minotaur holding her tail lets out a very short growl- before breaking off, letting her go at the same time, when the berthing hall explodes. She scrambles back to her hooves, resumes her gallop. The Guards group around her- and stop her.

A surge of Minotaurs has blocked the gate. Their escape has been blocked. The Guard ‘watching’ the gate has been killed, thrown on the ground.

She takes in a deep breath, looking rapidly between the various groups of minotaurs scattering throughout the base around them.

“We’re done for,” one Guard mutters near her.

She looks at the ground. She’s pretty sure she’s not trembling hard enough to shake the rocks in the gravel. Or to make them bounce.

Then her eyes widen. The ground is trembling independently.

She looks up, fear in her eyes, taking in a breath… just in time to see it.

She has time for just a glimpse of metal overhanging the wall before the north wall explodes- all the way from the gate to where it meets the west wall, all at once. With no fire.

The wall fragments apart, becoming so many pony-sized stone missiles, for but a moment. In the distance, she can see the west wall crumpling like so much tinfoil under the same onslaught.

She can’t believe her eyes.

Wall fragments and Minotaurs alike are being smashed firmly into the ground. A solid, stone fort wall is crumpling like tinfoil. All under the onslaught of the great metal thing that had landed on and nearly killed her so long ago.

“Holy Mother of Celes-!” a Guard near her mutters- before the boulders start hitting the ground on their own… and the roar of a cannon echoes away from the thing. A momentary flash of light near the top- and seconds later, the barracks explodes.

“Go!” she screams- and pushes forwards. Towards the thing.

Towards the brand-new fort-sized gate.

A guard tower vanishes underneath it.

She dodges to her right; the Minotaur blade falls on dirt instead. The Guards on her right take alarm, moving to protect her.

A sharp but oddly muted snap sounds from the thing- and a minotaur in front of them collapses, leaking blood from its brand-new chest cavity. She jumps over it.

The Minotaurs are forming up on them. They’re faster. Somehow.

She squints for a moment. Yes, that’s definitely magic… Probably placed on them by something else, like a centaur. She dodges another blow- and more Guards shift to protect her.

She sheds a tear for them as she pushes herself as hard as she can. She knows she can’t stop. Their job is to protect her, at all costs. They won’t be able to.

Another pop, another headless minotaur. She dodges around it, letting it absorb another minotaur’s strike at her. Another boom, another huge explosion- right in the middle of the advancing Minotaur army. Another disintegrating Guard post. The thing grinds to a halt in front of her and the Guards. A long metal ramp extrudes itself from its side, next to one of the holes, and hits the ground in their path.

More Guards shift to cover her. They’re dwindling. Dying off.

She wishes she could do that for them instead- but Equestria needs her. Alongside her friends.

She slows slightly as they reach the ramp; it’s angled rather severely upwards, and she’d rather not collapse as she hits it, for lack of strength. Once on the ramp, she pushes herself as hard as she can. She gallops up it as fast as she can.

More Guards fall behind her. The pop sounds a third time, but she doesn’t see what effect it has. Another boom, and following explosion. That big metal pipe is swinging out to point down at the continuing battle. Is it some kind of cannon? She doesn’t know. But it most certainly doesn’t look gentle.

She keeps running. Hopefully, whatever that pipe is can aid in the battle enough to save some of the Guards as well.

She reaches the top of the ramp and stops, turning around. She prays to find a Guard right behind her- at least one.

But there are none. She watches the last Guard fall to a Minotaur’s blade halfway up the ramp.

Another Minotaur had dodged past him, though. It’s almost at the top- raising its blade to strike at her.

She dodges to the side. It misses. Something pony-sized and metal suddenly lands on the minotaur’s head.

Then the metal she’s standing on twitches perceptibly- as she closes her eyes and flattens her ears against the sudden overload to both sets of organs.

Then the pressure comes.

Something just exploded. Very close. She blinks her blindness away as quickly as she can, searching for the source of the blast- for where she can run. Then she stops. The metal thing that had landed on her attacker is buzzing slightly as it leaps into the air again, wobbling oddly before it clunks into something and disappears into a closing hatch.

The ramp is retracting with an odd buzzing, grinding noise.

The pipe… hasn’t moved. But there’s a thin trail of smoke amidst the heat waves trailing out its tip.

Then she looks further out.

The entire fort has… disappeared. A crater at least three times the size of the fort is all that remains of the attacking Minotaurs.

She sits down in place, and raises one hoof to her chest, to touch her Element. At least she has it now.

Her touch triggers the communication spell; good thing it does not rely on her innate magic, rather drawing on the Element itself. It comes back empty-hooved.

She quickly stabilizes herself. The pipe is moving back into place- but so is the entire… thing moving. Slowly, at first- and ever so gently. But it’s moving, and it’s turning to carry her west.

She allows herself to collapse.

Author's Note:

Ack! I'm late!

... Oh well. At least we get to see the true nature of our Bolo's distraction.

But now what? Stay tuned!