• Published 1st Sep 2018
  • 530 Views, 44 Comments

The Black Sun - Super Ponyman



After the events of Sundered Universe, Burning Star tries to settle down and relax by going to Shadow Armor's wedding. But, when a wicked warlord attacks and kidnaps the royalty of Equestria, its up to him and his allies to strike down Black Sun!

  • ...
 44
 530

Chapter 8: Confronting the Source

Author's Note:

This Chapter Idea came from a friend, mainly on how much we have not explored how all this shows just how little our dear Prince Eclipsio knows about humanity.

Enjoy... I guess. I feel like I suck at sensitive scenes, do I? Let me know in the comments... ok?

(We gotta fight next time! Yay!)

So you are Messing wit my authors notes! Get out of here, Burning Star!

(Hehehehe... enjoy!)

(Sunset’s House)

Shining and Cadence dropped Burning Star and Lucina off at Sunset’s house...

It was still raining, and all three of them still had the smell of Changeling blood on them. It smelled like mint ice cream.. and strangely tasted like it too.

How did Burning Star know all this? When Lucina kissed him, she was still covered in it, and it got into his mouth.

So when they broke the kiss... their mouths tasted and smelled like mint...

“God that is disgusting now that I’m thinking about it.” Burning Star said to himself, walking to the door of Sunsets house and knocking on it.

Strangely, Shadow Armor came to the door and opened it, seeing the blood-soaked couple and giving them a weak smile.

“Oh... I guess that the meeting with Cadence didn’t go well?” He said, trying not to bring up the blood that coated the two of them.

Shadow Armor was no stranger to blood, he has cut down many foes and had blood splattered against him.

But the way Lucina killed, the brutal and disturbing way she literally tore her opponents to pieces... it left more than a splatter...

It drenched her in blood... and it made Shadow Armor’s stomach turn.

He had been watching the battle between Lucina and the humanoid Queen Chrysalis, he had SEEN the gore fest, and let’s just say he emptied his stomach of his entire days worth of food.

“No, it didn’t go well. Turns out your predictions about Queen Chrysalis being Cadence was true, good catch Shadow Armor.” Said Burning Star, reaching his hand out.

Shadow Armor said to the couple, “Go get in a shower, you two. You look like green popsicles...”

Lucina grabbed Burning Star with her TK arms and lead him inside, the biggest grin on his face.

He suddenly said, “See ya, Shadow Armor.”

He stuck his head out the door and yelled excitedly, “IM GETTING LAID IN THE SHOWER! HAHAHA!”

Sunset came out of her room in her pajamas and gave both of them the eye, “Will you two quiet down? Also... why do you smell like mint ice cream?”

Lucina extended one of her arms and grabbed Sunset saying, “We will tell you later... go get some sleep.”

Sunset tried to object but Lucina reached another arm into her brain, She passed out immediately afterwards, asleep and dead to the world.

She levitated her inside and tucked her in like a mother tucking in a child, before pulling Burning Star into the shower and locking the door with a click.

Shadow Armor heard the sounds of “paired showering” and his cheeks began to heat up.

He knew he had to get to his room, but two of his friends were busy with... whatever the hell someone with fire powers and a bravado worthy of legend. Also, someone with deadly psychokinesis and a dangerous obsession for Burning Star.

Either way, whatever was going on was weird, wet, and wild...

”Why the hell am I thinking this? I must miss Fluer so bad that I’m making up fantasies involving my friends in lewd acts...” said Shadow Armor, rubbing the back of his head.

Nearby, The figure in white armor watched Sunset Shimmer while she slept.

not in the creepy way... in the “I’m guarding you” way...

Ok, watching anyone while they were sleeping was creepy.

”Ah... the Lovely Sunset Shimmer. A foot in one world, a hoof in another, you are such the... strange figure. You hold the entire world upon your shoulders, the world not acknowledging your beauty...” said the figure, peering into the window at Sunset’s sleeping form.

She was curled up in a ball, shivering in the cold room fueled by the overworking air conditioner.

The figure couldn’t stand seeing her like this and floated down to the window, lifting it open with a smooth slide.

He slipped in as silent as a breeze and picked up the covers and placed them on Sunset, she immediately stopped shivering.

The figure looked at Sunset’s sleeping form, thinking to itself... before making its move.

The figure reached one of his metal-clad hands to Sunset’s hair and ran it through her red and golden locks, before saying to him itself.

”Her hair is like velvet... so supple and easy to brush. Why is she not with the most handsome man in school?” the figure said, barely a whisper.

Sunset stirred in her sleep, her hand pressed against the figure’s metal-clad greaves... she pulled it back slowly, wincing at how cold it was in her sleep.

The figure turned away from Sunset and said into the mirror, ”What about me? Would Sunset accept me as her “boyfriend?”

It clenched it’s fist, ”No... I must stop Black Sun before she sees me for who I am. Then and only then will I be worthy of her...”

The figure moved toward the window and flew out silently, a breeze carrying him away.

(The Next Morning...)

The sun poured its light into the window of Sunset Shimmer’s bedroom, waking the girl to the new morning.

She slowly opened her eyes to see what was going on...

Before they shot open and she screamed in shock at who was in her room!

Eclipsio was sitting at the end of her bed, his shirt off, letting Sunset see his rather muscly body. It wasn’t ripped, Rather it had definition to it. It was lean and sturdy, and it made her cheeks flush red.

While she had seen Burning Star shirtless when Lucina was pouncing on him, he was thin. Eclipsio’s body had some bulk that seemed to ebb and flow whenever he took a breath.

Prince Eclipsio raised an eyebrow, “Sunset? What is the matter?”

“What’s the matter?! You are in MY ROOM! Why are you here, Eclipsio!” screeched Sunset, covering herself.

Prince Eclipsio shrugged, “I just entered here to speak with you, Is this a bad time?”

Sunset threw her pillow at the Prince, it bounced off his head and landed with a pomf sound. “Yes this is a bad time! Didn’t your sisters ever teach you to not invade a girls room?!”

“Sunset, I was banished for over 1000 years, courtesy wasn’t on my to-do list when I got back. So, no.” He said nonchalantly, running a hand across his arm.

Sunset pulled her covers up around her chest, she had slept without a shirt on, and god forbid that Eclipsio would catch her shirtless. “I’m not dressed yet! Can it wait?”

“Of course, go get dressed. I will wait here patiently.” Said Eclipsio, rolling his shoulders back.

Sunset’s face turned red, “I would like some privacy, at least!”

Eclipsio nodded, “Say no more, I shall be over in your closet. What would you like to wear today, perhaps your trademark leather jacket? Or this red dress?”

“I can pick out my clothes on my own! I don’t need you to do it for me!” She said, covers now wrapped around her body like a robe.

Eclipsio stepped out of the way and Sunset looked at him and said, “Well?! Aren’t you going to leave?”

“Why would I leave? I am perfectly fine with a female changing in my vicinity. Celestia and Luna pay no mind to me changing in theirs either, although I wonder why their faces are so red... perhaps they were coming down with an illness? But that is highly unlikely, Alicorns cannot be ill.” the Prince wondered, putting his balled fist to his chin.

He bowed to Sunset, “So if you feel as if you are uncomfortable with changing in my vicinity, it is fine with me. Why is it not fine with you? Do you have something to hide from me?”

Sunset delivered a massive punch to Eclipsio’s nose, causing it to bleed.

She then flung the prince out of her room and said, “STAY OUT!”

Eclipsio pinched his nose closed to stop the blood and said to himself, ”Hm... wonder why she was so embarrassed to change around me? I had to peel off her smelly pajama clothes she had on last night into her crisp and clean ones... why is she so embarrassed by me?”

(Kitchen)

One EXTREMELY AWKWARD dressing later and Sunset came down in her leather jacket and a pair of jeans.

Eclipsio saw her come down and said, “Ah, I see you went with your trademark “distressed biker girl” look.”

He was slapped in the face by Sunset hard enough to restart his nosebleed.

She still had a bit of red on her face when she said to him, “You really have no shame, do you? Stepping into a girls room while they are asleep?! Really?!”

Prince Eclipsio raised an eyebrow while he pinched his nose shut, “I have shame, Ms Sunset Shimmer. But, I don’t understand why this is such a big deal for you. I had assumed as we are both friends that such things like changing in each other’s company are not awkward.”

Sunset Shimmer put her face into her hands, “Ugh... you really don’t get humans yet, do you?”

Eclipsio nodded his head, “It is rather... difficult for me to do so, Sunset Shimmer. Humanity is frustratingly complex.”

Sunset gave him another tissue to stuff up his nose then put her hand on his shoulder, “Well, what is frustrating you, Eclipsio? Maybe I can help?”

Prince Eclipsio saw that the fury had disappeared from Sunset’s eyes, then he said. “Humans are just... so... so... full of contradictions!”

He got up and stared to pace about the room, the ceiling fan made his long silver hair billow in the breeze, similar to his mane when he was in Pony Form.

It ended up blowing into his face and he coughed as it went into his mouth. “Ack! Confound this hair! How is it that such long hair can exist and not get in the way?!”

Sunset held back a laugh as the Prince unceremoniously spun around and tripped over his katana, which had been strewn out on the floor.

He face planted to the tile floor, this time getting a laugh from Sunset Shimmer.

Prince Eclipsio snapped, and screamed. ” DO NOT MOCK ME!”

The Prince got to his feet and slammed his feet downwards, causing a crack in the floor.

”I HAVE BEEN EXTREMELY PATIENT WITH MY HUMAN BODY. BUT EVEN I. HAVE. MY. BREAKING POINT! AND IVE JUST REACHED THAT POINT!”

He wheeled around and picked up his katana and drew it before stabbing a pillow, spilling stuffing everywhere. ”THIS SEARCH FOR BLACK SUN HAS LED ME TO A WORLD THAT HAS NO SPACE-TIME MANIPULATION POWERS! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO FIND HIM IF WE MUST RELY ON THE “TALENT” OF CHIEF SHINING ARMOR, A WITLESS WONDER!”

He finished his train of thought by grabbing Sunset by her jacket and saying, ”YOU THINK I AM OVEREACCTING, DON’T YOU?”

Sunset had enough, and she retaliated with her own shout, her eyes glowing like orange flames. ”Well I think you are, overreacting, Eclipsio! I am frustrated with you about your insensitive attitude with me and my friends! I would like you to stop it.”

Eclipsio put his hand to his katana and began to pull it, but Sunset grabbed his hand and said. “You pull that katana and I show you why I was the queen at Canterlot High...”

The Prince’s voice grew sly, “And what? You think that you, a human, can wrestle with a full-grown Alicorn-Human that has been fighting for his entire life? I highly doubt it will work.”

Sunset’s teeth grew into fangs and her eyes turned green, ”Wanna try it, Edgy boy?” she said, sending a small chill up the Prince’s spine.

The Prince thought about it, then he lowered his hands away from his sword, “Fine... you win Sunset. But this isn’t over, I’m going out to look for more evidence on Black Sun.”

Sunset stepped in front of Eclipsio and pushed him back, “No, you are going to stay here and talk with me. Now I’m sorry that I yelled at you, but we are both angry and I think we can help each other, ok?”

The Prince fumed for a minute, his fists clenched, but he relaxed and sighed out in defeat.

“...Fine...”

Sunset walked over to the couch and sat down, she patted the cushion next to her and Eclipsio sat down as well. He had a stony expression on his face that spoke VOLUMES.

“Eclipsio, judging by your body language and general demeanor, you clearly are troubled. What to tell me why, or will you sit there in silence and mope all day, like you usually do?” Said Sunset, raising an eyebrow.

Prince Eclipsio shrugged, “Why do you care? You have no impact on me and the world, so why try to alter my perspective on life?”

“Well... I figured what you need right now is a assertive, but compassionate person to listen to you. From what I’ve gathered, you are similar to Burning Star in demeanor. You are so caught up in what and why you think you matter to others that you never had time to grow up and mature emotionally did you?” Said Sunset, a small smile of sympathy on her face.

The Prince growled, “Why should I take time to feel? My sisters are missing, my options are few, and my friends refuse to help me enact my plans to stop Black Sun for good.”

He then said while staring off into space, “Regardless of whether or not Celestia and Luna are found via Black Sun or my own intuition, I lost them to a mistake I made... I didn’t take the shot. if I hit my sisters with a magic blast... they would forgive me right? Would they?”

Sunset put her hand on Eclipsio’s shoulder, saying to him. “I think that they would, but I don’t think you wouldn’t forgive yourself... would you?”

Prince Eclipsio raised an eyebrow, “Why should I forgive myself? Sunset Shimmer... I have been banished most of my adolescent and adult life in the inky blackness of deep space. Not just that, I wasn’t just banished to space... I was banished to the space between spaces. I was lost for over a thousand years, Sunset... what do you know about isolation and helplessness?”

Sunset Shimmer’s face turned serious, “Isolation? Prince Eclipsio, for the majority of my adolescence I ruled Canterlot Highs student body as a tyrant. I used fear and lies to get ahead, I ABANDONED my Celestia because I felt as if she did not have the answers to my biggest question.”

Now Eclipsio was curious, “And what was that question, Sunset Shimmer? How to become an Alicorn like Twilight had become one? Were you jealous she had friends and all you had was your hatred of your teacher?”

“Honestly, the question was this. “Did all of your teachings really matter?”

Sunset clenched her fist, Small orangish yellow sparks of magic danced over her knuckles. “Unlike Twilight who sought peers to respect and love, I sought, no CRAVED dominance. Dominance enough to suppress and control the majority of the student body. Then Twilight chased me here after I stole the Element of Magic.”

She began to form tears in her eyes My grip was slipping, Eclipsio. I hated that there was one person that wasn’t afraid of me. One person that made friends, and in my hatred. I turned one is the most powerful Elements of Harmony, if not the most powerful, into a dangerous weapon that rivaled The Alicorns in Power.”

Eclipsio’s photographic memory began to record what Sunset was saying. Despite having a Sunset Shimmer on his own world, he had never met another version of her that was so... vocal.

Then again, he had never met another version of Sunset at all!

Sunset hung her head as she said, “I used it to become a powerful Demon... and I turned my hate into a spell that would hurt Twilight severely, it could have possibly killed her if she didn’t channel magic from her new friends and herself to shield herself. Then, she hit me with a blast of magic so pure it completely obliterated my demonic form.”

She now was staring to cry slightly, “I was beaten, embarrassed to the greatest degree. Every single thing I had built had fallen. I expected Twilight to leave me there in disgrace... but she did something I never expected and I still don’t fully understand, even after all this time.”

She lifted her head and said directly to Eclipsio’s face, “She offered a hand to me, she offered me forgiveness... every part of me told me to swat it away and strangle her for humiliating me so badly... but that part of me that wanted to start over... it won out and I accepted her hand up.”

Sunset still continued to speak, her eyes slowly dripping tears as she went on. “Ever since then I have been working my ass off to fix my mistakes. I had to battle magical sirens, take on Midnight Sparkle, stave off a powerful Elder God of the Forest, and recently... start over because some bitter teen I never noticed erased memories of my good deeds from my friends heads.”

Eclipsio’s eyes widened at her accomplishments, “Wait... you are saying that you... a human girl barely over 20, has defeated sirens from Equestria? Midnight Sparkle once (before we had to finish the job), the freaking GODDESS OF THE EVERFREE FOREST, and overcame memory magic and a overly-bitter girl with it?”

Sunset nodded, “Well... yeah. I mean I had help, but that just about sums it up.”

Eclipsio’s jaw hit the floor, then he brought up the last accomplishment she said. “You mentioned memory erasing magic, Sunset. How did this girl do this and what was her name?”

Sunset sensed something was odd about Eclipsio, his eyes were cold and his hand was on his sword. “You aren’t going to hurt her, right?” She asked nervously.

“Sunset... erasing memories is a very serious offense on any world. You are taking away time in their lives and no matter if the Spell is reversed completely, those memories will never return the same way... the reason I am concerned is because in certain places in my Equestria... that magic can get you Imprisoned, or worse... killed.” Said Eclipsio, his eyes colder than the arctic.

He then put his hand on her shoulder and said, “I will not hurt her in sight, but if she tries the same thing with me... I cannot guarantee her safety. I am familiar with the magic of the mind, and memory erasing is something even the most vile of ponies wouldn’t do. Please, tell me her name so that I may have a rather STERN talk with her.”

Sunset took a risk and said, “Wallflower Blush. She should still be in school. She had since given u-you’re already gone aren’t you?”

The Prince has bolted out the door with a quick, “Sorry Sunset, I wil discuss my past and the accomplishments I have attained later, for now... I am off to show this... Wallflower a little lesson in common decency.”

Sunset moved as fast as she could and tackled Eclipsio to the ground. They rolled through the muddy grass and Sunset said to him, venomous ire in her voice.

“What are you doing?!” Sunset said, trying to pin down the Prince. “The Stone was destroyed by Twilight! Why are you going to hurt Wallflower?!”

Eclipsio’s response was blunt, “Because it’s fair.”

“Fair?! How is this fair?!” Sunset yelled, making Eclipsio cover his ears.

He responded with an even blunter statement. “She hurt you, you have every right to hurt her back... yet you have not done that. Why?”

Sunset sighed, “Because I don’t act on all of my emotions. I have to think before acting, something you may struggle with, am I right?”

Prince Eclipsio stayed silent, but he got up and walked inside with a curt, “Yes.”

Sunset looked at her mud-stained jacket and sighed, ”Crap. I just washed this.”

Prince Eclipsio walked inside and began to fiddle with his hair while Sunset went to go put her jacket in the wash. She returned to the room in just her t-shirt.

Despite Eclipsio wearing his long black tunic with coattails, she was the one that stuck out the most. Her red-gold hair blew in the breeze that came from the open window.

Prince Eclipsio then spoke, “You wanted to hear my thoughts on what is happening, Sunset Shimmer?”

“Yes I do. It’s always nice to hear what others have to say, don’t you think?” She responded, a small smile on her face.

Prince Eclipsio’s face twisted into a frightened frown, then he said. “I’m afraid... Sunset. I’m afraid of failure.”

Sunset noticed tears in his golden eyes, “All my life I have never known fear, because I knew that the villains we faced were real beings. I have never felt fear because they felt pain, they felt fear of us as well... Black Sun feels nothing ordinary. He emits some of the purest hatred and malice, for life itself, and for everything alive or dead.”

He put his hands to his face, “And yet I still cannot find out who he is... that is what is scaring me, Sunset.”

”He fears the unknown... must be because he knows so much about the world that he craves control so much. Something as unexpected and ruthless as Black Sun must have caught him off-guard, and since he didn’t have a face to see that meant that he can’t fight back... he needs to know EVERYTHING.” thought Sunset.

“You know, Twilight went through a phase like this where she wanted to know everything. Except it was about magic, not fighting a supervillain.” Said Sunset, giving the Prince a tissue.

She put one of her hands in Eclipsio’s hair, “Sometimes, it’s better to not know someone or something. If you knew everything, then there wouldn’t be any more wonder to this world, would there?”

The Prince of Eclipses thought for a moment, before responding. “You... are correct, Sunset. I desired control and understanding out of fear, not out of curiosity... I see that now.”

He turned his head to Sunset and said while leaning closer, “I need some time to think about this, Sunset. But before I go, I wanted to do this as thanks.”

Sunset was about to question what when Eclipsio leaned in to kiss her, she thwacked him on the head. “Whoa! No, not that! I appreciate the thanks, Prince Eclipsio... but I don’t think I am ready for... that.”

The Prince nodded before turning scarlet red, “O-oh... my apologies Sunset Shimmer. I thought that our talk was leading into a moment. I was awestruck by you. Not only are your beautiful on the outside, your internal beauty and compassion amplifies that external beauty exponentially.”

Sunset’s face turned scarlet red as well. “It’s ok, Eclipsio. Maybe one day, but not today. I need to talk with Burning Star when he gets back from his day with the girls...”

The Prince got on his knees, “Please do not tell him about our conversation, Sunset! I would prefer to not see that utterly obnoxious smirk he dons when he gets his way.”

Sunset let out a short laugh, “I wasn’t planning on telling him, don’t worry. I just needed to ask him about our next move. Black Sun isn’t going to be gone forever. he is bound to turn up soon, which means that if we are going to defeat him and rescue your sisters, we need to be prepared.”

Prince Eclipsio nodded, “A capital idea, Sunset. I suggest that once this Chief Shining Armor finds out anything new and gives it to us, we start our investigation post haste.”

Sunset gave a happy smile at the Prince’s newly formed confidence and said to him, “See? Your already feeling better. Now, we have a lot of work to do, including making lunch.”

The Prince raised an eyebrow, “Make Lunch? You expect me to serve food to...”

Sunset flared at him, and he cleared his throat. “Uh, of course. Getting right on it, heh-heh.”

Sunset watched as Eclipsio moved at high speed mixing salad and frying pita bread, he was making Gyros for everyone by the looks of it.

”Eclipsio sure is an interesting guy... but did he really mean that beautiful comment earlier?”

She let the thought run around in her head as she began to fix drinks for everyone that was coming over.

Little did they know that their enemy was watching them.

Black Sun stood atop a tree, perched like a bird of prey looking at his food.

The metaphorical “food” being the group that decided to oh so frustratingly last so long against him.

”Why don’t they just lay down and die already? They clearly do not have the heart to defeat me, why can’t I just blow them away?” he thought to himself, a sniper rifle in his hands.

He sighed exasperatedly at the tension between Sunset and Eclipsio. “Ugh... get a room you two. Young love is so useless, existing solely for beings to crush and ruin... I don’t see how love or even friendship can defeat that which has bested FOUR ALICORNS.”

An unknown voice called out from behind him.

”Answer is simple Black Sun... As a team.”

Black Sun wheeled around to the tree behind him, spotting the light that smacked him about like a wet fish and he opened fire.

The .50 caliber round flew through the air towards the light-shrouded figure’s Head.

Black Sun noticed the bullet stopped in the air, then he saw that a hand coming from the light had caught the bullet between its fingers, far away from his head.

”Murder will not solve the problems that plague your mind, Armored Atrocity Black Sun, mercy will.”

The light disappeared and the white-clad figure appeared in front of Black Sun with one of his arms held out towards him.

”I offer mercy to you, surrender and I will attempt to mend the wounds carved by you upon the worlds you have come to. I will bring you peace, if you surrender.”

Black Sun reached out his hand, before switching it to machine gun mode and unloading an entire clip into the white-armored figure. The high-powered ammo bounced harmlessly off the chest plate and helm of his opponent.

“NEVER! I will never accept mercy from anyone... this world will PAY FOR WHAT IT HAS DONE TO ME!” Black Sun yelled, his mask lighting up a bright red, before he took off towards the city...

He was going to end this once and for all...

“the Rainbooms, Burning Star, everyone and everything... all of it must DIE!” he thought as he blasted off towards the Financial district of Canterlot.

The light was bright enough so that the white-clad figure could see Black Sun’s face behind the mask, and he said to himself.

”Look how far you have fallen... Black Sun.”

The white clad figure took off himself, pursuing the Black Armor-clad figure to the city’s center.