• Published 31st Jul 2018
  • 321 Views, 9 Comments

Earth's University of Precedence - Arioch Starr



A Story of University Life with Ponies and Humans

  • ...
 9
 321

Introduction: Part 4 - The Grand Tour

Stepping onto the corridor, Nick finds Twilight pacing between the walls further down mumbling to herself. He heads towards her with caution.

“Why, of all ponies, am I the one to escort him everywhere?” She mutters. “I don’t see why I have to or why I should. He should find his own way around. I had to. Maybe I should ditch him on some other pony. Let him be their problem.” She shakes her head. “No. Princess Celestia’s given me this task to perform. I can’t ignore the Princess’s orders. The sooner I get it over with, the better.”

“I don’t like it anymore than you do,” Nick interrupts. She stops pacing and looks up, “but it’s Celestia’s decision, so you’ll just have to deal with it for now. I agree with the Princess on one thing, however. I may not know you that well, Twilight, but I too think you’ll benefit from this experience.” He then adds on a more cheerful note, “A bit of human interactivity might be just what you need.”

“Hmph.” Twilight exclaims furiously. “Come on. The sooner we start, the sooner we can finish. And no questions. They‘ll just delay me more than need be.” She scornfully trots past him and down the corridor.

He follows, jogging to catch up to her and walks a step behind. They walk in awkward silence as they exit the first corridor and onto the second. They continue to walk down the corridor and out onto the upper balcony of courtyard to which the silence is broken.

“West, north and east wings,” Twilight says, pointing in the appropriate direction, “and the reception in the south. Room letters start from the first floor in the west wing and work their way to the north and east then onto the second floor starting from the west again.”

“I see, so in a clockwise motion from the ground up.” Nick confirms. “That makes sense, I suppose. Not the way I’d have it, but each to their own.”

“West wing is for your kind, east for us and north for the classrooms.”

Twilight then leads him into the north wing, through the corridor and into the stairwell at the corner of the wing. Through the stairwell echoed hoof- and footsteps as they make their way down the steps. Nick decides to break the ice between them and converse with Twilight in the hopes of massaging this acquainted conduct.

“How long have you been here?” He asks halfway down a set of stairs.

“What did I say about asking questions?” She responds bitterly. Nick opens his mouth to ask her a personal question but decides otherwise and remains silent. After more silent awkwardness, she sighs and finally answers his question. “Three days.”

“Really?” Nick asks, surprised, ignoring her tone. “Only three days?”

“What were you expecting?”

“I’m not sure. I thought, maybe at the very least a month.”

She laughs. “No. I’m not that unfortunate.”

“What do you mean?” he asks confused. “You don’t like it here?”

“It’s…” she pauses, then shakes her head. “Forget it.”

“Oh, come on. We were starting to make progress, having a nice friendly talk. What were you going to say?” Nick asks, compelling her for an answer.

“I said forget it.” She sharply replies in reluctance. “I don’t want to talk about it, especially to you.”

Nick exhales in disappointment. “I’m sorry.” He says sincerely. “Forgive my curiosity. I’ll not ask any more questions about you.”

“That’s fine by me.”

Upon reaching the bottom of the stairwell, Twilight opens the unlocked emergency exit and steps out at the back of the university into the shining sun gleaming brightly on the lavish green grass. The sudden brightness blinds them both and they shield their eyes.

“This way.” Twilight instructs after her vision had adjusted to the bright light.

She briskly walks up the eastern path with Nick following behind. Looking away from the main building, a small playground was being swamped with the younger students of the university. They joyfully laugh and scream in excitement and pleasure as they run, slide and swing within and around the recreational area.

Looking along the path Twilight leads him down, he notices large separate sections cut off by wooden fences. Within the boundaries were people and ponies dressed in distinguishable overalls carrying tools and tending to the livestock housed within. Among the workers were common farm animals consisting of chickens, pigs, sheep and cattle, each receiving their own section of abundant terrain for their own luxury.

The majority of the labourers were working extremely hard to keep the land organised and healthy. The latter few appear to be taking a break, taking shelter in the shade of the trees scattered about the various sections and drinking ice-cold fluids. With the tropical weather at the moment, it’s impossible to feel joy for them as sweat flows like rivers from their brows.

“Here are the university’s ranches.” Twilight reveals. “It’s where we produce our own products for consumption and commercial enterprising.”

“Commercial enterprising? You mean selling?” Nick asks. Twilight nods. “What exactly do they sell?”

“Do you have to question everything?” She states. Nick stares at her in disbelief as she starts reeling off the list. “Raw consumables such as meat, beef and chicken along with wool, eggs, milk and leather.”

Nick remains silent.

“The organiser is Timothy Grouds.” She continues, ignorant of his stares. “He’s also the head farmer for the ranch.” Twilight peers through the gaps in the fence. “But I don’t think he’s around now.” She shakes her head in discontent. “You’ll meet him sooner or later.”

As Twilight starts walking away, she’s called by one of the farmers working in the fields. The two look over to find an orange coated pony making her way towards them, trudging through the soggy mud in wellington boots, her blonde mane and tail tied with a red ribbon underneath a light brown cowboy hat shielding her from the sun.

“Hello, Applejack.” She greets as Applejack peers through the gap in the gate. “Surprised to see you here. Shouldn’t you be up at Sweet Apple Acres?”

“Yeah,” Applejack replies as she unlocks the gate and steps outside the boundaries of the field, “but the fellers down at the ranch needed more workers so ah offered to help with the pigs since demand was high.” She adds, pushing the gate shut with her back leg. Her distinct accent a representation of the southern states, somewhere Nick had never been. She glances to Nick who patiently examines her. “Howdy, newcomer.” She greets.

“Morning, Applejack.” Nick returns her welcome, nodding. “I guess an introduction is complimentary. My name’s Nick.”

“Nice to meet ya.” Applejack nods back. “So, what brings ya to the ranch?”

“I’m giving this guy a tour of the university’s grounds.” Twilight answers.

“By order of the Princess.” Nick mimes a salute.

“The Princess?” Applejack responds in surprise. She then lightly taps the side of her head with a muddy boot. “Of course, it’s nearin’ the beginnin’ of the semester. It’ll be ya first year here. Are ya excited? Nervous?”

“More concerned if anything.” Twilight answers hesitantly.

“How’d ya mean?”

“I don’t know. I just feel this isn’t the best place for me to study.”

“Why’s that?” Nick asks.

“Probably because of distractions like you always interfering with my study life!”

“Whoa, take it easy, I meant no offence.”

“Well, I’d best get this tour over with.” She huffs. “The sooner the better.” She walks away without a farewell from Applejack.

With Nick about to follow, Applejack tugs on his shirt and asks him to hold back.

“Ah have a favour to ask.” She tells him. She doesn’t look at him; instead she stares down the path at Twilight marching away. “Ya’ve probably noticed Twilight’s behaviour towards humans. It ain’t exactly…” she pauses, “pleasant - as charmin’ as a Changelin’ - but please don’t dismiss her as another reclusive pony. She’s just really misunderstood and a real friendly mare once ya get to know her.”

“I’m not sure friendliness is in her dictionary.” Nick responds. “Her attitude’s really starting to grind on me.”

“Ya know why she’s like that?” Applejack asks in hope.

“No. Do you?”

Applejack shakes her head. “Just give her a bit of patience, okay?”

“That’s a lot to ask with little to gain.”

“I’m begging you, Nick. Please, just try to get along with her.”

Nick scratches his neck, thinking what to do.

“I gotta get back to work. I’ll see ya ‘round, Nick.”

After coming up with an idea, he says, “I’ll think it over. Enjoy your day, Applejack”

They bid each other farewell and go their separate ways. Nick catches up to Twilight who was waiting impatiently further along the path.

“What did she want?” She asks resentfully when he catches up to her.

“Nothing interesting.” Nick responds. “Where to next?” He asks, moving the subject along.

She leads him towards the glass building to the east of the university, up the steps and through the open double glass doors.

The heat immediately hit the two as if they had just entered an active volcano. As if outside wasn’t hot enough, the inside was sweltering in comparison. The hall was nearly full of students seated at tables. The noise was quiet considering how many students were seated. The heat was probably getting to them.

The structure was held up by stone pillars on the outskirts. Between each pillar were large pieces of dark tinted glass, by which looking through shows the other side dimmed as a result. The roof was solid concrete stabled by two stone pillars in the middle of the canteen, an even distance from each other, with two crosswise rectangular windows at either side of the hall through which light can shine.

A counter built lengthways separates this area with the kitchen. Chefs and cooks could be seen frantically running back and forth behind it.

Twilight stands in the middle of the rectangular building, turns her back to the kitchen and announces its obvious purpose.

“This is the cafeteria.” She states. “It’s where students come to eat if they can’t cook themselves. As you can tell, it’s split into two section: the public area,” she turns to face the kitchen and points to it, “and the kitchen, behind the counter. I’ll show you to the head chef if she’s in.”

She entices Nick to follow her as she makes her way to the counter. She peers over the counter and looks back and forth around the kitchen. She spots the head chef peering over one of her workers and calls to her.

“Miriam!” She shouts, waving a hoof to grab her attention.

Miriam looks over and gives them a nod. She taps her student on the shoulder and points to the dish while adding extra commands to the cook before heading over.

“Twilight!” She booms in an incredibly thick African accent. “What can a do for you?”

“This is Nick.” Twilight introduces minimally, indicating Nick at her side.

“Ma’am.” Nick bows.

“My, my,” she exclaims, “such respectable manners. It’s hard to believe someone of your qualities to be working here.”

“Huh?” Nick expresses.

“No, Miriam, he’s a student.” Twilight explains.

“Oh, a see. Such a disappointment.” Miriam frowns. “A’d love to stay and chat, but lunch is just about to begin. It’s lovely meeting you, Mr. Nick.” She turns and heads back to her attending her kitchen.

“You too, Miriam.” Nick glances at Twilight. Though curious about her expressing his qualities, he didn’t question it.

“I wonder what she meant by your qualities.” Twilight asks as if reading his mind. She turns to him and he shrugs. “Come on. I want to get out of this heat before I have a stroke.”

She turns to go and Nick follows close behind, but he’s halted by a high pitched screech shouting his name from across the hall. He turns around to find a pink mane and coated pony wearing a white apron and hairnet galloping towards him at high speed.

“Pinkie Pie!” He shouts back in excitement.

Pinkie Pie leaps at him from a distance. He reaches out to catch her. She falls into him and they both tumble to the ground laughing in hysterics. The two hug each other passionately as watchful eyes gaze upon them from the surrounding tables. Twilight rolls her eyes, unamused at the jubilant reunion.

“It’s great to see you again, Nick!” Pinkie Pie delightfully squeals as they return to their feet.

“You too, Pinkie. It’s been a while hasn’t it?”

“I know! It’s been, like, forever!” Pinkie Pie jumps, unable to contain her excitement.

“It really has been. I didn’t expect to see you here of all places. It really is a small world.”

“I’ve been here since we lost contact. I’ve been studying under Mr. and Mrs. Cake as an apprentice baker.”

“What about your dream of becoming a party organiser?”

“I’m getting there.” She replies, calming down a little. “It’s mostly birthday parties for the students I organise for the time being. They appreciate the effort I put into my parties. What about you? Are you still studying your music?” She gasps before squealing in excitement. “Are you going to be studying here? YAY! Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! We’re gonna have so much FUN together!” She jumps in circles around Nick in pure hyperactive excitement.

“Wait, wait, wait!” Twilight shouts, to which Pinkie Pie halts her bouncing at Nick’s side. “You know this guy?”

“Well, duh!” Pinkie Pie playfully mocks, pulling a face. “We’re best friends.”

“We’ve known each other since before I arrived in the States.” Nick explains, resting a hand on Pinkie Pie’s head and stroking her curly mane. “After arriving in New York, where we’ve evidently stayed since, I tracked Pinkie down.”

“That was the first time I ever saw Nick in person.” Pinkie Pie continues.

“We’ve stayed in touch almost every day.”

“That was until I left home to focus on my career. After that we lost touch with each other.”

“Until today. Looks like our different ambitions brought us together again, eh, Pinkie?” Nick laughs and Pinkie Pie follows.

“I don’t see what’s so funny about that.” rang a familiar voice from behind them.

Nick turns around to see Rainbow Dash standing alongside Fluttershy, also unamused at his amusement. Twilight steps forward.

“Nick, this is–”

“Rainbow Dash,” he cuts her off, “and Fluttershy. I believe we had the pleasure of meeting beforehand.”

“We did.” Fluttershy quietly confirms.

“If I recall, I never announced myself. My name is Nick.” He bows his head. “It’s nice to meet you both.”

“Nick? Humph.” Rainbow Dash scoffs. “More like pr-”

“Rainbow Dash! Fluttershy!” Pinkie Pie jumps up between them. “It’s been a while. How is Gummy? Is he alright? Are you feeding him his favourite dessert?”

“Well, h-he’s...”

“Oh, right!” Pinkie Pie abruptly and playfully prods Rainbow Dash in her cheek while explaining her role to Nick; “Rainbow Dash manages the weather around the university,” she then folds a leg around Fluttershy’s neck, “while Fluttershy tends with the university’s pets and local wildlife.”

“I see.” Nick nods, trying to sustain all the information. “That would explain why you could get close to the birds on the fountain.”

Pinkie Pie removes her leg from around Fluttershy with a confused look across her face. “Why do you feel wet?”

“I, uhh...” She hesitates to answer. “I fell in the fountain...”

Pinkie Pie couldn’t help but burst into laughter at the entertaining thought of the situation, which catches the attention of Miriam who looks over and calls to her.

“Pinkie Pie!” She shouts from across the counter. They all look over to her. “Did you finish the job I gave you?”

“Uhm, not yet!” Pinkie Pie shouts back, her voice quavering slightly? “I’ll get right back to it! Sorry, guys, I gotta get back to work. Call me later, Nick.”

She then runs back across the hall and continues her job at collecting the trays and left out cutlery and crockery the students left behind.

“What are you doing with him anyway?” Rainbow Dash asks Twilight. “I thought you hate humans?”

“Hey, now,” Nick interferes, “hate is a bit strong, isn’t it?”

“How does detest fair you?” She replies menacingly.

“For Celestia’s sake, Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy quietly intervenes, “just let it go.”

Fluttershy strenuously pushes Rainbow Dash past Nick and Twilight towards the kitchen’s counter to where Rainbow Dash banters with the other ponies as they wait in line to be served. Twilight gives Nick an irritated look.

“Hey,” Nick exclaims, “she has a gratuitous grudge against me.”

“I don’t blame her.” She says in a pitiless tone and turns to exit the cafeteria.

Nick bites the inside of his cheek to prevent himself from lashing out. He begrudgingly follows her. He knows nothing good will arise continuing this conversation so he throws it all to the back of his mind. It’ll all be over soon, he keeps telling himself.

“Where are we heading next?” He resentfully asks, catching up to her.

“To the markets.” She heaves as she walks down the steps.

She leads him down the path horizontal of the university. Nick peers into the university and finds no sign of Vicky. She must be taking a break.

Walking past the steps, Twilight notices a dark purple coated pony walking towards them followed by a group of younger ponies and stops abruptly. Nick didn’t notice her sudden halt and stumbles into her, almost tripping over. She gives him an aggravated look but quickly replaces it with a friendly smile.

“Hello, miss Cheerilee.” Twilight greets as the group approaches. “Showing the new starters around?”

“Hello, Twilight.” Cheerilee cheerily replies. “And yes. I’ve just finished showing them around the markets. We’re heading over to the canteen for a lunch break.” She turns to her students to address them. “My little ponies,” she says, raising her voice to earn their attention, “this is miss Twilight Sparkle.” She announces, indicating Twilight, without consent. “She studies under the wing of Princess Celestia.” The small crowd utter expressions of amazement. Twilight blushes as they do so. “Miss Sparkle, can you please tell us how you came to end up studying under the Princess?”

“It’s nothing special, really.” Twilight says, declining her reputation. The group look on in interest, as does Nick. She tells her story spreading her gaze over the group. “I’ve always wanted to study alongside the Princess since I was a little filly.” She starts as she recollects her past. “I remember hearing Princess Celestia visiting my hometown one day to find gifted unicorns to be join her private school. Without hesitation I applied for the role. I was accepted with other unicorns who applied, and we were each given individual tasks to perform to prove our control over magic. I was one of the few chosen unicorns that stood out the most from the rest and made it into the school.”

“Weren’t you nervous?” One of the winged fillies asked.

“Of course,” Twilight responds, “I’d never been more anxious. I remember shaking uncontrollably minutes before my trial. It was my biggest wish at the time and I couldn’t bear to see me fail.”

Nick coughs. Twilight turns to him and he discreetly shakes his head to indicate not to discourage the young students. Twilight squints before turning back to the group.

“Anyway,” she says, quickly changing the tone, “I passed my trial, and I quote, “with flying colours,” and became one of Princess Celestia’s best pupils.”

“Wooow!” The group exclaimed in admiration.

“So how did you become the Princess’s apprentice?” A spotted colt asks.

“After being recognised as a superior unicorn to my class-mates, the Princess gave me a trial to perform to see just how far my magic capabilities can go.”

“What was the trial?” A murky blue coated unicorn asked.

“The ultimate trial that won me the place of apprentice was hatching a dragon’s egg.” Twilight proudly answers.

The group once again uttered expressions of awe. Nick tilts his head as if confused, thinking how hard it was to hatch an egg.

“You see what you can accomplish if you try your very best?” Cheerilee asks her group.

Nick then stepped in. “How was hatching an egg difficult exactly?”

Twilight turns to him and stares with utter loathe.

“Yeah, how miss Sparkle?” A purple coated filly asks.

She shimmies her eyes back to the watchful group.

“I’ll tell you.” She says through gritted teeth, masking her irritation directed at Nick for his attempt to demean her in her moment of pride. “It was a newly laid egg, merely weeks old. To simply break it open would cause the hatchling to be unborn. Not only is it essential to hatch the egg, but it’s mandatory to keep the hatchling intact as its being hatched. That is the trickiest part. Without the perfect magic capabilities, the poor creature could very well become stillborn.”

“I see,” Nick says, speechless. “A premature hatch. That’s actually quite impressive. I’ll give you props for that.”

“Of course.” Twilight confirms.

“And how has this early-born dragon coped?”

She stares at him blankly and wavers a response. “He turned out fine...”

“Well, fillies and colts?” Cheerilee addresses her group. “Do you understand now that you can accomplish anything if you study hard enough?”

“Yeah!” The group shouts their response before noisily talking amongst themselves.

“Thanks for that little lecture, Twilight.” Cheerilee says. “It’s been enlightening.”

“You’re welcome.” Twilight replies joyfully. “I always enjoy speaking to the foals.”

Cheerilee nods. “Well, I’d best get this group to the mess hall before lunch is over.”

Cheerilee calls to her group and leads them around Twilight and towards the canteen. Twilight smiles to herself as she watches them go. Nick faces her to see the sly grin.

“That was cute.” He says.

“What?”

“The way you spoke to the group about yourself, you sounded like you enjoyed it. It’s the first time I’ve seen you smile since meeting you.”

“Whatever.” She flicks her head, completely changing her attitude, and walks towards the markets with Nick close behind. “I still can’t believe you degraded me in front of the group.”

“Yeah, sorry about that. I was just curious about your trial - hatching a dragon’s egg - I’ve never heard of such an incredible feat before. Do you want to tell me what you felt during it?”

“Nope.” She resents a scowl.

Nick senses more negativity and falls silent. Everything he’s said was presumably in her interest. He wonders why she bitterly dislikes him so much apart from the fact that he shares identical qualities to humans. It will puzzle him to no end and will probably never know the answer. They enter the marketplace he dejectedly studies the interior to help ease his thoughts.

The building’s structure was pretty much an exact replica of the canteen but built differently to suit its purpose; shaded glass between pillars with windows in the ceiling, with the only difference being that the size is significantly larger. It was also a lot cooler than the canteen, most likely due to the air conditioner circulating air from outside which would explain the constant buzzing heard throughout.

The shops were nothing more than rectangular walk-in stalls incapable of holding more than a few people, and even fewer ponies, at any given time. The stalls were the generic metallic material painted in a variety of colours depending on what each individual stall sold, which gave the place a brighter radiance. Ranging from meat to fish, clothes to perfumes, electronics to toys, the marketplace had everything one could hope to purchase at a reasonably expensive price.

The crowd was as dense as water. They were in and out of stalls constantly, never ceasing. This must be where the majority of the university’s population gather along with tourists and guests, clients and providers. Trying to manoeuvre around them proved difficult.

As they proceed through the crowd, Nick loses sight of Twilight as she disappears into the horde of people and ponies. He calls out for her but the noise level makes it difficult to hear even himself. He pushes his way through the crowd in the hopes of catching her up. He then spots a purple mane in a clothing stall facing a row of hanging clothes and makes his way towards her.

“Twilight!” Nick shouts above the noise. “I thought I lost you for a mo–” He steps inside and the pony drops the leg of a pair of trousers and turns around. “Oh, sorry miss. I mistook you for another Equestrian, someone with a similar mane colour.”

“Well, I never!” The light grey coated unicorn exclaims in an indistinguishably elegant accent. “I’ll have you know my mane-style is quite unique amongst the common rabble and far more defined than the ordinary!”

“Please, calm down, miss.” Nick responds, raising his hands. “It was simply an honest mistake. I’m new to these parts, you see.”

“Well, I suppose I can forgive you since you haven’t heard of me. My name is Rarity.” She announces, raising her hoof off the ground and extending her torso as if posing for a photo shoot. Her radiant vocals reflect the elegance of her appearance.

“Uhh…” Nick shifts his eyes back and forth. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Rarity.” He greets, ignoring the random presentation. “My name is Nick.”

“Oh, please,” she waves a hoof, “the pleasure’s all mine.” She pops her head out from the stall and quickly glances up and down the lively aisle before retreating back inside. “Please, come in. I was just about to make some tea. Would you like some?”

“Thanks for the invitation,” Nick says as Rarity holds open an intricately patterned curtain at the back of the stall, “but I’m looking for someone. I’m afraid I’ll have to take up your offer another time.”

“Oh…” She lets the curtain drop. “Well, that’s okay. I probably don’t have time anyway. I’ve got deliveries to make. When it’s ready, that is.” She adds in a raised voice, hinting to the back. She moves to the counter and takes a seat behind it before mumbling, “I don’t see why I can’t give it a whirl.”

“Excuse my boldness, but what do you do?” Nick inquires, leaning on the counter.

“Oh, how rude of me. I see you’re a curious human. I’m studying under a seamstress in the hopes of becoming a professional one myself. In the meantime I work the stall here.”

“So you’re a student too?”

“I suppose that’s one term you could use, yes. I prefer the title of apprentice. It gives off a more mature prominence. No, as far as Mia’s concerned, I’m only a pupil. Apparently I’m ‘incapable’ of sewing human clothes.”

“I see.” Nick looks around the stall. The majority of the clothes were human tops, bottoms and jumpers, both male and female. There were very few pony clothes in the stall which back’s up Rarity’s argument. “Not many Equine outfits in here. Is this where you spend most of your time?”

“Only when I’m not being observed sewing. It’s basically my allowance until I become a world renowned independent fashionista.”

“How’s that working for you?” He urges.

She frowns. “I’ve gotten as far as the borders of the university.”

“That’s something at least, right?” he encourages, cheering her up a bit. “Before you know it you’ll be the most well known fashion designer in New York. Who knows, maybe even the world will know your name.”

Rarity smiles at him. “That’s what I’m aiming for.” She replies. She pauses for a while before saying, “You know, you’re one of few humans I know who’s encouraged me to continue.” She stares at a rogue button that she slides back and forth, resting her head on her other hoof. “No one seems to think I’m capable of making it.”

“I wouldn’t know.” Nick places a hand on her hoof and stops the button the sliding, mostly because it was irritating him. “But you should welcome criticism and become more productive because of it.”

She looks at him with mixed expressions of aggravation and understanding. She closes her eyes and shakes her head.

“It’s easier said than done.” She says, reoccupying herself this time with a pile of leaflets on the counter. “I just can’t bear to see myself–”

She’s cut off before having a chance to explain by a call of her name.

“Rarity?” A high-pitched voice calls from behind the curtain.

“I’m here, Mia!” Rarity shouts back in anger. Without a reply returning, she turns to Nick and says, “I’ll be right back.” She disappears behind the curtain, leaving the stall unsupervised.

Nick nods and moves to the periphery of the stall and watches the people and ponies walking by hoping to notice Twilight amongst them. He leans against the steel frame, folds his arms and overlaps his legs and waits. He didn’t have to wait long until he’d finally been found.

“There you are!” Twilight shouts. “I’ve been looking for you! Where have you been?”

“I’ve been having an intriguing talk with a friendlier Equestrian.” Nick answers when she nears. “Her name’s Rarity. You might want to spend more time with her. Maybe some affection will rub off on you.” Twilight steps into the stall. “Where have you been anyway? You left me in the middle of a crowd.”

“Rarity? Rarity’s here?” Twilight asks, looking around for her.

“She was called to the back.” Nick joins her inside.

Twilight walks towards the curtain but stops near it as she hears raised voices from the gap. She steps forward and places a raised ear up to the curtain.

“Why can’t you take it up?” Twilight hears a muffled Rarity from deep inside. “It’s not like you’re busy this afternoon anyway.”

“I told you, Rarity,” Mia argues back, “it needs to be taken up immediately. Besides, tonight is Sutānaito – Star Night. We have this conversation every month, and every month I tell you it’s an unavoidable event.”

“I don’t see why you can’t just miss it this one time.” Rarity returns in a raised voice. “The shop’s been really busy the past few days and stock has been low. We really need more of those designs if we want to stay ahead in the game.”

“The answer’s no, Rarity.”

“Then let me design something! I have enough ideas to keep us going ‘til next year. Have I not proven myself enough yet?”

“Again, you’re incapable of crafting what needs to be perfection.” There was a short pause before Mia continues. “Don’t get me wrong, you’re a great seamstress, Rarity, an excellent and willing apprentice whose talent far exceeds my previous students, but you make so many oblivious mistakes that stop you from forwarding your progress to the real world. Do you remember the last time you tried to sew clothes for a human?”

“That was a one time off, she was asking for a grossly unattractive design pattern that flawed with the rest of the outfit. I thought I might just give it a little more intricacy.”

“That’s not for us to decide. You give what the customer asks for, not to prove your prowess to them. Remember the little mistakes.”

“Just let me prove to you that I can recognise those mistakes and fix them.”

“Stick with what you’re doing now. I’ll give you another chance when I think you’re ready.”

“Ugh, you’re being so stubborn!”

“I’m being stubborn?” Mia shouts back. “How consistent can you be with the same argument? You need to understand your place, young mare…”

Nick then steps beside Twilight. “I think we’d better leave before the whole stall falls apart.”

“Yeah, sounds pretty rough in there.” She replies, turning her head away. “I’ll speak to her later.”

She hastily heads out the stall with Nick close behind.

Rarity emerges from behind the curtain a few minutes later.

“I’m back.” Rarity stressfully says, tightly gripping a plastic bag in her teeth. “I’ve finally received information about that…”

She realises no one’s with her. She crunches down on the handle in anger before sighing in frustrated disappointment. She was about to run her errand when a human enters the stall and begins browsing. She tilts her head in irritation and places the bag under the counter.

“Can I help you, sir?” She asks putting on a friendly smile, masking her annoyance.

He shakes his head. “Just browsing.” He replies as he holds up the sleeve to a jacket.

“Okay. If you need anything, I’ll be at the counter. Just ask me and I’ll do my best to be of assistance.”

The guy nods and continues his browsing. Rarity sits on the stool behind the counter and rests her head in her hoof, staring restlessly at the anticipated customer.