• Published 31st Jul 2018
  • 320 Views, 9 Comments

Earth's University of Precedence - Arioch Starr



A Story of University Life with Ponies and Humans

  • ...
 9
 320

Introduction: Part 1 - The Arrival

As the Magnet Train enters the province of South-South-West New York at two hundred miles an hour, Nick turns in his seat to look out over the vastly shining capital from a distance. He rests his arm on the rubber windowsill as he stares out of the crystal clear window at the tremendously populous metropolis shimmering in the brilliant summer sunrays. The tall glass buildings glisten like crystals as the train speeds along on the seemingly levitating tracks as the sea beneath them swims calmly. Two pastel-coloured pegusi fly overhead towards the centre of the city as he gazes upon the pure magnificence of it.

The train swiftly turns on its tracks, bringing three buildings resting on a cliff’s plateau in the nearing distance into view along with the train’s designated station yards away. That must be it, he whispers to himself, the famous university where all intellectual species on Earth gather to advance their education. It looks just like it does on the brochure; magnificent.

His thoughts are interrupted as two children run through the narrow corridor of his carriage, screaming in excitement before entering the next carriage through the automated doors taking the commotion with them. He smiles, amused at their playfulness, and sits forward in his seat. The sewn pad on the folding bench which he was seated gave him comfort for the two and a half hour journey.

Nick looks around the train at the other passengers. The carriage was nearly empty. The only other passengers were in groups at opposite ends, one group of four elderly women and the other of three Equestrian ponies.

Nick could tell the women were born and raised in New York by distinct pronunciations of certain words, their definitive New York accent barely audible over the guitar solo flowing smoothly out of the speakers on the ceiling, of which he recognised the instrumental of a modern song, titled ‘If You Believe My Love’ performed by a soft rock group called Ash’s Worth, filling the train with its harmonious electronic sound; an excellent choice for ambience.

At the other side were the group of ponies. A cerise coated regular stallion and two unicorn mares, one coated cyan blue and the other turquoise, were sitting in the seats near the automatic doors. He recognises their gender by their defined facial features; the male’s snout is straight from forehead to nose, while the females’ is more rounded and consists of an inward curve flicking at the end. Along with facial features, they can also be differentiated by their height; the regular mare stands half of that to an average, fully grown male human while a stallion is between the two. Young teenage ponies, fillies and colts, are approximately half the height of younger teenagers while the foals are the same size as babies, of who consistently outgrow the ponies throughout their lifespan. It’s by these distinct definitions that humans can easily identify the two genders and various aging stages without the need for interaction.

The ponies’ bright, vibrant coloured coats illuminate the carriage like an alexandrite gemstone. The group gave no acknowledgement of the elders’ presence.

Sitting within earshot of the four elders, Nick overhears the gossip spreading between them. They constantly criticise the ponies on the train, every now and then glancing over their shoulders at the group before snickering and continuing their insults from under the safety of their outrageously fitting hats. He watches the ponies as they laugh and enjoy their time travelling together on the train, oblivious to the elders’ remarks.

Before long, the music dies down and an announcement makes itself clear through the speakers.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Fillies and Colts, we will be arriving shortly at the last stop on the 975 Line to Marigold Station located on the outskirts of New York.” The robotic speaker announces. “We at Magnetica Incorporation hope you enjoyed the journey to your destination and are looking forward to ensuring your safe travel with us in the near future. We highly advise you remain seated until the vehicle has come to a complete stop at the designated station. Thank you for your cooperation.” The speaker crackles before shutting off and replaying the rest of the previous song.

Nick stands up, ignoring the recommendation, and walks towards the doors of the train. He waits in front of the doors holding onto the handrail above and feels the train start to decrease its velocity. He looks through the window in the doors to find the train now running on solid ground, still following its tracks. He leans forward to look below the train at the naturally green grass rushing past in a blur.

He catches sight of himself obscured on the reflective alloy surrounding the door; his blindingly white, neatly ironed shirt collaborates with his worn out jeans. His medium length brown hair neatly cut and freshly prepared for the day ahead. He gives it a quick rummage to ensure a more natural look and spots the chain around his neck glinting faintly. He pulls the back of his shirt’s collar to conceal it.

The speakers now silent, it takes only a few seconds for the train to come to a complete stop at the station. The doors slide open letting the late morning sun flow into the carriage and immediately pours a wave of heat and excitement onto the train.

He steps onto the outdoor platform and looks around the beautifully gold encrusted station. The platform itself was overwhelmed with energy from the two races of humans and ponies. The noise level was reminiscent to that of a hundred buzzing bees in a botanical garden, humming furiously for their share of the pollen. The feeling of being surrounded by life gives Nick an exhilarated feeling.

Eager to go, he walks along the edge of the platform and waits by the luggage compartment for it to open. It does so, hissing as its dual doors slide away from each other and enter their purposefully designed slots at the side. The coolness from inside the chamber almost immediately hits Nick’s face making him shiver. He ducks in to search for his rucksack and, pushing the few other bags and cases aside, finds the cylindrical bag and pulls it out. He swings it over his head and rests the strap diagonally on his shoulder. He adjusts it to bear a more comfortable state before making a beeline towards the station’s exit, swerving around the groups of humans and ponies in his way.

He stands in the line at the exit, waiting patiently to be served. He peers down the line to find three humans and two ponies in front of him, all waiting to be served by a masculine man trapped within the confines of a small security booth.

Waiting for the line to shorten, Nick looks around the station at the people and ponies. The majority of the crowd were humans. They outnumber the ponies three to one at best. It’s what’s to be expected on a planet solely inhabited by humans for thousands of centuries. There’s no getting rid of them, he jokingly remarks in thought.

As the line advances, he notices guards at the exit. Two winged white coated ponies were leaning against the wall, bantering to each other, subtly watching the comings and goings of visitors through the entrance. The armour they wear, gold plated and heavy complete with comb glinting in the sunlight, covers their neck and back as well as head and torso. Propped in their foreleg were spears; sharp daggers welded to the ends of thin iron rods, standing a foot or two above the tips of their helmets - effective and intimidating despite being simple. The sight of the weaponry gives Nick a sense of nervousness. He always feels anxious when an area is guarded, even when he has nothing to fear.

“Identification, please.” The gatekeeper seated in front of a computer screen professionally demands as Nick walks up to the glass office which encases him.

Nick unzips the pocket on the strap of his satchel and removes a USB device stating his business. He places it on the desk and slides it through the narrow gap under the window. The gatekeeper takes the device and inserts it into a slot at the side of his screen and waits for the content to load. As they both wait, Nick occupies himself by prying his eyes around the booth.

It was a small room, no larger than ten feet at most. Placed at the middle window where Nick stood was a desk with a computer screen situated on it. At the side of the screen sits a rare potted daffodil plant happily viewing everyone exiting the station. Underneath the plant was a stack of papers to give it a little boost. At the corner was a mug filled with pens, pencils and various other stationary equipment. On the back wall hangs a small photo of an aerial view of bordered farmlands. The individual lands were different shades of green indicating the livestock and crops situated in each field. He wonders where it was located so decides to break the silence between them.

“That photo on the wall,” Nick asks, indicating the picture, “where is that?”

The gatekeeper slowly swivels around to look at the only picture hanging on the wall. He smiles to himself before returning to stare at the screen.

“That’s my home,” he explains, “for now at least.”

“You’re a farmer?”

“Not anymore.” He shakes his head, a hint of sadness in his tone.

“What happened?” Nick asks, sensing his sorrow.

“Long story short,” he sighs, “my career ended when my partner passed away.”

“Oh…” Nick exclaims as a wave of sympathy flow over him. “I’m sorry to hear that.” He adds with sincerity. Despite wanting only to know its location, he thought it best to show a little commiseration.

“Thanks. I do miss her and I’d give anything to have her back.” He shakes his head in remorse. “After she departed, the farm went downhill very quickly.” He double clicks mouse button and skims through the onscreen information. “I was unable to tend to the farm alone and I wasn’t making enough cash to hire any help.”

“Ouch.” Nick winces. “Sounds like an unfortunate series of events.”

“It’s not all bad.” He says, brightening his tone. “The university has offered me a job and a place closer to work. I’ll be selling everything; the farm, the house, the barn, the animals, everything that bore great memories. It’s going to tear a large hole in my heart, that’s for sure.”

“Do you enjoy working here, for the university?”

“In some cases, it certainly beats sweating my ass off in the fields. I get two days off a week where I can have a little luxury to myself, twenty days paid holiday and a cosy little abode to rest in the evening. Would I like to go back to working the farm? Sure I would. I’d give anything to have my old life back. But I couldn’t do it without my partner.” He removes the device from the screen and slides it back under the glass to Nick. “But she’s never coming back.”

“I see.” Nick nods as he grabs his device and places it back in his pocket and zips it up. “I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your partner.”

“It doesn’t matter. She’s in a better place now.” He waves his arm to say move along. “Welcome to the University of Earth, Nicholas Galluver.”

Nick cringes hearing his surname pronounced incorrectly but doesn’t bring it to attention. He shifts his rucksack into a more comfortable position and exits the station through the waist high turnstile.

He makes his way down the ramp, steps onto the dirt path and walks towards a fork in the road. He stops at the fork and inhales the fresh countryside air. He faces up and closes his eyes as the wind delicately breezes through his hair with the warmth of the sun bouncing off his face. The sound of playful laughter encourages him to open his eyes.

He stares at the marble water fountain placed in the middle of the triangular divergent. The statue on top depicts a playful pony standing on a single hind leg atop a circular object, its mouth agape as the eyes stare lifelessly towards the university, a few young ponies and humans were playing in the cool water surrounding it dressed in water-resistant garments. They joyfully splash each other without a care in the world.

Looking to his right, Nick spots the mansion-like building a few hundred feet away at the peak of the hill along with two smaller buildings on either side; both encased in glass, one building situated south east and the other south west. They glimmer like the buildings in the Big Apple, modern and separate from the primitive-style of the university itself. It was a sight only told in stories.

The grounds were full of variously sized groups of students scattered, loitering and enjoying their brief time in the late-summer sun. He overhears three older students comically banter about the children playing in the fountain as they pass.

Nick walks past the fountain, taking the path leading up the hill towards the four storey building. He trails a young girl joyfully skipping in the same direction. He guesses the child to be in her early childhood. She calls to her friends and breaks into a jog towards the left side of the main building before heading up the path alongside it.

Nick stops a few feet from the steps and looks up at the ancient building towering over him. Wall mounted flagpoles, complete with flags bearing the insignias of the university’s symbol, consisting of outlines of a human and pony in front of a navy shield on a maroon coloured background, and the emblem of New York City, protrude outwards from the building. The balcony above built over the main entrance was occupied by students looking out towards the skyline and scanning the grounds.

He turns his head to face the sign situated a few feet to his left. Upon the sign wrote the words ‘WELCOME TO THE UNIVERSITY OF EARTH’. He looks back at the entrance and takes a deep breath before walking up the steps and through the middle of the three open doorways.

Entering the manor, he is greeted by a perfuming fragrance of cherry and almond as if someone left the door to the dessert cupboard open. Directly above him was a balcony surrounding the hall, held aloft by pillars in both lower corners. The balconies outside can be accessed from these platforms.

The main hall was almost completely void of life. Walking along the balconies on both sides were a few humans and ponies, visible to Nick through the wooden bars of the railings. Above the statue centred a few feet behind the reception was a pegasus flying around in circles. He watches in satisfaction until another pegasus hovers from the balcony towards her, verbally tells her to land with him and takes her by the hoof.

Nick walks over to the half oval desk situated near the entrance. To the right of the desk swirls a holographic map showing the university, a mansion in the shape of a plus, and the area surrounding it in a circular platted radar slowly spinning on its axis. The base of the structure bore a technical control panel for use of the map.

The receptionist, a middle-aged orchard coated pony wearing a white collar with a black bowtie, was seated in a swivel chair on the right side typing away on a highly sophisticated keyboard designed specifically for hooves. Nick coughs to grab her attention. She looks up from the screen over her thick, purple spectacles at him.

“Good morning.” Nick greets. “I’ve arrived for a scheduled meeting with Deputy Norma Hook.”

She stares at him, seemingly examining him, before emitting a creepy grin and bobbing her head to the side indicating the human receptionist further along to the left. He looks over to see her attending to another visitor who had entered after him. He smirks and nods at the pony and stands behind the second visitor.

“May I help you?” The receptionist asks Nick as the guest walks away.

“Yes you may.” Nick smirks walking up. He leans on the glass-topped desk and stares at her, her face as smooth as a tempered milky quartz stone. Her jade embedded eyes glint refreshingly back. “I was wondering if I could use your desk phone.” She stares at him in confusion. “My ma told me to phone her when I found someone to rival the radiant beauty of a perfectly cut emerald.”

She laughs hysterically leaning back on her chair at his attempt to charm her. Nick exhales a sharp, passive laugh as he squints an eye.

“Not a chance.” She says, returning to her serious state and wiping her coal black hair over her shoulder before typing on her keyboard. Nick glances at her fingers as they speed across the keyboard with lightning fast dexterity. “Now how can I help you?”

“I have a meeting with Deputy Norma Hook.” he repeats, copying her serious tone.

“Hoping to enrol?” She asks as she maintains her typing speed. Nick nods. “You must be pretty special if they accept you this close to the start of the semester. You must be Nicholas?” He nods again. “Mrs. Hook is expecting you in room J-6 on the second floor in the west section of the building. You can find it by walking up the left staircase behind the statue and turning right at the top, through the set of doors and out onto the balcony of the courtyard. Immediately turn left and into the west wing onto a corridor of which Mrs. Hook’s room is located near.” She looks up to Nick, who searches behind the statue for the stair set. “You got that, or do I have to repeat it?” She asks.

He shakes his head. “Nope, I got it.”

“Alright. I’ll notify her of your arrival immediately.”

“Thank you, miss...”

“Hartman,” She says, “but call me Vicky. I don’t like all that formal garbage.”

“Vicky...” He repeats. “Short for Victoria, I presume?” She nods. “Thank you, Vicky.” He winks before making his way towards the back staircase.

Vicky shakes her head in disregard as she watches him carry his rucksack with ease around the reception desk. She continues with her work when her associate uninvitingly slides over. The pony looks around to ensure Nick was out of earshot and, finding him moseying past the statue, leans in and whispers.

“He’s pretty handsome, don’t you think?”

“He sure is, Grace.” Vicky politely replies, still concentrating on her screen.

Grace jovially nudges her. Vicky faces her to catch her raising her eyebrows facetiously. It takes Vicky a moment to realise what she was implying before laughing sarcastically.

“You’re serious?” She asks regaining seriousness before turning back to her screen.

“You’re not going to stay young forever, you know. By the time Julian returns, you’ll have aged.”

“I’ll wait an eternity if it means staying with Julian.” She turns to Grace. “Why do you have such a grudge against him, anyway?”

“I think he’s a bad influence on you. You were charming and polite when you were young, you had a bright future ahead of you. That was until Julian arrived on the scene.”

“And what am I now?”

“You come across rude and arrogant, as if you don’t care about the world, about your future. As if Julian will take care of all your problems. The perfect example just a few moments ago with that guy.”

“Hey, he was coming on to me. I had to defend myself, even if it meant a rude approach.”

“At least consider it. I think he’s a better role model to hang around.”

“What makes you so sure?”

“He has this… I don’t know, this special aura about him. I can’t quite explain it.”

“I think I’ll stick to a more realistic view, if you don’t mind.”

Grace shrugs. “Suit yourself. I still expect you to act professional around visitors, though. You are still in training, after all.” She adds before sliding back to her side of the desk.

Vicky silently mimics Grace’s voice in an insolent manner. She glances over her shoulder at Nick to find him ascending the stairs and sighs before helping another customer with a forced smile.