• Published 31st Jul 2018
  • 320 Views, 9 Comments

Earth's University of Precedence - Arioch Starr



A Story of University Life with Ponies and Humans

  • ...
 9
 320

Episode 2: Part 1 - A Room Full of Doom, Gloom and Stone

Author's Note:

We're getting there, slowly but surely we're getting there.

Edit as of 7/9/21 - Made clearer which direction room N42 is facing.

Episode 2:

Part 1 – A Room Full of Doom, Gloom and Stone

“Nick!” Jesse repeats loudly. “Wake up!” He jolts up and shoots awake. He is not used to being woken so abruptly before his alarm. “Someone’s at the door. You need to answer it.”

He leans back, gathers his senses, and stretches and yawns out of his deep-sleep dream. He had been dreaming in his secret place, sitting on his favourite rock, thinking of Celestia’s plan of staying with Twilight as a roommate. He recalls the rest of the previous day which went by somewhat uneventful.

Nick and Jesse, along with Sophie and Applejack, left Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy in the cafeteria. They were in high spirits after their prearranged apple picking activity was set. Applejack departed, bidding the others a kind farewell. She disappeared back to her Sweet Apple Acres, followed not long behind by her older brother pulling the empty cart. The rest headed towards the entrance but were paused by an uncommon but not unfamiliar sight.

Gliding down from above and sliding to a halt was an open carriage of glistening gold. It was being pulled by two gold-armoured pegusi that had been tasked with the safe return of the royal sisters, and they were ready and waiting to take the Princesses Celestia and Luna back to New York City. The three headed over to the carriage and joined the large crowd gathering.

As they neared, Luna, who had been waiting in the doorway of the university for her ride, began her descent down the steps with a crowd gathered behind her. Escorting her were two guards, a male and female pegasus, both armed with spears and sheathed daggers. They took control of the crowd and kept them at bay, using their spears as leverage, and made a clear path for the princess.

Luna entered the carriage and gave her farewell to her awe-struck crowd with a smile and small waves of the hoof. Among the crowd she noticed Nick and Sophie waving her farewell. She gave Nick a stare and he stopped waving. Her stare pierced his and he knew exactly why. She placed a hoof across her lips and he gave a serious nod. She explained to her flyers, as well as her escorts, that Celestia would be staying the night and requested that she be picked up the following morning. Understanding the wish, they take off with only Luna in their carriage.

After the ordeal, the crowd slowly started dispersing and the guard escorts returned to their posts at the train station. Sophie was vigilant, however, and inquired about the silent gesture. Nick gave nothing away and bade her a swift farewell. He departed in a hurry with Jesse close behind. From the reception, he returned to his room on the ground floor where he stayed for the rest of the day ensuring everything was packed and readied for the move.

He rubs his watery eyes and looks over just in time to see Jesse floating through the bedroom door leading into the living room. Realising what she said, he throws the duvet off his bare body and climbs out of bed. He prefers to sleep in his underwear since pyjamas tend to stick to his body during the night and he finds them uncomfortable to sleep in. As a child he would unconsciously climb out of them almost every night and wake up each morning with them either on the floor or at the bottom of his bed. He quickly throws on the uniform set he had left out the previous day, slides into his snug slippers, makes sure to turn off the alarm he had set on the Dushuck, unlocks the bedroom door, and heads out into the living room.

The bright sun forces its way in through the living room window, almost blinding his morning-sensitive eyes. He spots Jesse hovering at the front door.

“I thought you were heading out?” He says marginally groggy.

“I am,” She says, pointing at a small makeshift bag propped against the wall as he walks past to answer the door, “but the door went off while I was getting ready.”

“Who is it?” He asks.

“Look for yourself.” She responds with a giggle.

He opens the door and is greeted by a cross-eyed light-grey coated pegasus. She wears a brown cap with a red winged arrow as its logo atop her golden mane and a brown-shirt uniform with the same logo stitched onto the chest. Strapped around her is a mailbag that would usually be brimming with letters and parcels but today is almost empty. She stands there with a letter gripped in her teeth.

Nick shows a smile. “Good morning.” He greets, attempting to avoid looking at the wrong eye. “How can I help you?” She nods her head, the letter flapping in her mouth as an indication for him to take it from her grasp.

He reaches out with the tip of his fingers and gently removes the letter from her mouth. He scans the address – Room 32, C Section. In the corner, the royal red-wax stamp is welded onto the paper. In the opposite corner states ‘URGENT DELIVERY’. This must be the letter that Celestia said she was going to send him.

While Nick studies the letter with intrigue, the mailmare rummages through her mailbag. She produces a small box wrapped in jagged brown wrapping paper detailed with the same address, this time including his name, the university, the city, and the state written in unkempt handwriting. She presents it in hoof and waits patiently for his notice. He looks away from the letter and at the parcel. He picks up the scrappily-wrapped lightweight parcel with the added curiosity of who sent it and what lay inside.

Nick looks back at her and she stands there now with a clipboard and an attached pen grasped in her teeth. She needs his signature to ensure the deliveries were made and to the right person. He takes the string-attached pen from its holder and signs the piece of paper on the dotted line. Above the signature were various questions based on the services provided such as quality of the packages upon delivery, friendliness of the mail-carrier, and standard of delivery alongside a rating system of one to five stars. Above these questions were the titular words ‘student mailmare record’ capitalised and bold. He quickly ticks four stars for each rating and returns the pen. She withdraws the clipboard and places it back in the bag. She smiles at him providing him with no more letters or packages.

“Is that all?” Nick asks. The mare nods. “Well, thank you.” She makes an obligatory salute before continuing her routinely deliveries around the university. “Have a lovely day.” He calls after her down the near-empty corridor. He closes the door and heads back into the middle of the room. He examines both the box and the letter in each hand.

“Did you see her eyes?” Jesse asks, floating in from behind, hoping he would discuss the mare with her. He utters an acknowledgement but mentions nothing. “They were all over the shot. I didn’t know which one to look at.” She pauses, waiting for his response. “What do you think she sees with the other eye?”

“Obviously not your attempts to insult.” He answers seriously.

“Come on,” She says, “what happened to your sense of humour?” He ignores her attempts at eliciting him, and instead places the letter on the deskside table and unwraps the box. “What is it? Who’s it from? Where’d it come from?”

“I don’t know.” Nick answers all three questions at once, scrunching the paper and placing it on the table. “The packaging is all scrunched up, as if it were wrapped in a hurry. My guess is that it must be a mistake, delivered to the wrong address or something.”

“But it has your name and address on it. Who would order something and use your name and address?” She gasps as a thought enters her mind. “It’s not a bomb, is it?”

He laughs a little. “It’s a little too early for that, Jesse. Maybe it’s from a fan.”

“A fan?” Jesse repeats. “You mean to tell me someone out there actually likes your music?”

The crudely cut sticky tape that wrapped around the box looked hurried and unprofessional. The box itself was branded, belonging to a company that sells wallpaper paint called Tainted Paint. The size of the box could hold only one small tin of paint. This observation only confuses him further and his eagerness to know its contents grows.

He uses the nail of his thumb to pick at the end and he peels off the sticky tape with a satisfying sound. He opens the jagged flaps of the box and Jesse makes the sound of an explosion. She giggles, and he rolls his eyes. He peers inside.

Amongst the mass-amount of bubble wrap that laden the walls is a small makeshift piece of paper serving as a note and two smooth cylindrical cases underneath. As soon as his eyes rested on the cases, Nick knew exactly what they held, who sent them, and where they came from. He picks up the piece of paper and reads the hastily handwritten note aloud with a smile.

“‘You left in a hurry’.” He quotes out loud. “‘Sent these the day after you left. Thought you might need them. Hope they don’t get to you too late. Mom~’”

“Aww.” Jesse says. “What is it, though?” With one hand he removes both cases and holds them up to show her. “Oh, your reading glasses. I was actually starting to wonder why I haven’t seen you wear them since we got here.”

“I realised I left them when I got on the train.” Nick says, pulling the memories out from the back of his head. “I guess I was a little too eager to leave. Obviously, it was too late to go back then. Thanks, mom!”

“So much for your fan theory… and my bomb one. Maybe next time.”

He places the cases on the table and picks up the wrapping paper in their place. He looks at the letter that had been hiding under the wrapping paper. He places the paper in the box and slides the letter out from under the cases. He heads over the kitchen and throws the box in the bin underneath the sink. Before peeling open the letter, he heads back and opens one of the cases and equips the glasses that was inside them. With his eyesight now gratifyingly focused, he scans the handwritten letter before Jesse asks where it came from, who it is by, and what it says.

“‘Dear Mr. Galluver’.” He repeats.

“How formal.” Jesse says.

“‘As promised,” Nick continues, “I have written for you a letter of instruction personally to inform you of your transfer from room C-32 to room N-42 in the northern wing of the second floor.’”

“First floor.” Jesse corrects the letter. “I hate that they use a different system.”

“I know, I’m still getting used to it as well.” He says before continuing. “‘I will be waiting for your arrival outside your new room, along with Twilight’s, where I will assess your immediate situation and settle you both in person.’”

“‘Assess your immediate situation-’ what?”

“I think she wants to ensure we’re happy about the room we’ll be staying together in.”

“Then why doesn’t she say that instead of trying to make it sound smart but end up confusing and stupid?”

“Can I finish reading?” Jesse waves a hand at him and he continues. “‘I request that you meet me no later than 8 a.m. the day this letter arrives to confirm and complete your resettlement. I have been requested to inform you that your previous living quarter has already been rented to a distant student and to request that you leave no valuable or hazardous belongings before departing. Beyond this, I wish both you and Twilight the best of the year. Yours sincerely – Princess Celestia’ … ‘And Luna’.”

He does not repeat the postscript reminding him to keep their secret between them as it does not need repeating. He scans through the letter again to ensure he has the details correct, but something seems a little off.

“Celestia, huh?” Jesse says. “I guess she wasn’t kidding when you said she’ll send a letter. You have an hour.”

“Plenty of time.” Nick says, taking mental note of the room number. “That’s strange…”

“What is?”

“Which side did I tell you yesterday we were moving to?”

“This side. Why?”

“This letter’s telling me we’re moving to the northern section.” He says, waving the letter in his front. “Why the change?”

“Didn’t you say she would ‘try’ to get you a room in the west wing? Maybe she couldn’t.”

“Maybe.” He says, taking off his spectacles and placing them back in its case. He walks around into the kitchen and throws the letter into the bin. “I find it a little odd that, between the two sides, she’s chosen to move us into a room to the north. I’ll have to question her about this, for my own curiosity’s sake. Anyway, I’m all ready and packed. I just need a shower and a quick drink before I head out to meet her.” He glances to Jesse, who hovers at the other side of the counter. “Speaking of heading out, shouldn’t you be?”

“Aww, but I want to move in with you!” She cries.

“You know what room I’m in; N-42, and you’ll be back tomorrow. You won’t be missing much, a quick tour and an unpack.” He feigns a yawn, that turns into a real yawn, which sets Jesse off yawning. “Besides, you don’t want to keep Mother Danu waiting, do you?”

“Fine.” She says. She picks up her bag and securely ties it before throwing it over her shoulder. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” She adds and begins her ascent.

“Don’t forget to drift in the clouds a while.” He calls after her. “I want that head of yours clear when you return.”

She flicks her tongue out at him and he returns the gesture followed by a smile. He waves her farewell, and she disappears. She flies through the ceiling and out of the university, into the bright sunlit sky before evaporating into the deep blue.

With Jesse’s departure, Nick turns on the television and switches the channel to his favourite music station; My Music for You, abbreviated as MM4U. Jesse hates this station because it plays nothing but the current chart toppers, whereas Nick can listen to just about anything. He increases the volume just enough to hear it over the sound of running water and heads into the bathroom leaving the door open.

He turns the shower on and turns the heat up above the average temperature as he prefers his showers hot. He turns on the fan for the ventilation system and it whirs into life. He undresses and folds his clothes, placing them and his slippers on the closed toilet’s lid before hopping in. He washes himself the way he always does, starting with pouring specifically formulated shampoo on his hair and rubbing thoroughly. He then uses high-quality body gel to scrub his face. From here and with the same gel, he makes his way downward using a wooden scrubbing brush to wash first his arms, then torso, waist, and genitals, leaving his legs and feet for last. A typical shower period varies between ten and fifteen minutes.

Ten minutes later he emerges from the bathroom with a university-provided towel wrapped around his waist, clean and exfoliated, scrubbing his hair dry with a smaller hand towel. He changes the television channel to the Northern Ireland Transatlantic news station, NIT for short, and observes as he finishes drying and dressing back into his uniform with a fresh pair of pants.

The news shows pre-recorded footage of a family of dragons amidst a larger clan from an Irish valley above the headline “Dark-Scaled Dragon Twins Hatched in Southern Ireland”. One of the two news readers monologues about the “spectacular footage” of a pair of Black-Eye hatchlings whose scales are coloured coal black, while all throughout the videographer voices his happiness.

The amateur-style footage shows the cracking of the eggshell in the shallows of a ruby-red nest underneath a mother dragon. One of the two hatchlings pops their head out of the crack and examines its surroundings. It roars adorably, and its twin emerges to inspect as well.

“Aw.” Nick expresses in delight at the roar as he throws his towel into the laundry chute.

Did I mention almost every apartment in the university has a laundry chute? Nick’s room has a laundry chute, and it leads to the large laundrette in the basement under the university where bedsheets and towels pile high every night, and staff work through the night filling and emptying industrial size washing machines. Every morning clean laundry are mysteriously returned to the rooms that have none, and few students know how and fewer care. The truth behind the mystery is that the night workers silently enter each room and place them neatly folded where they are easily visible for the students. No mysticism here, I’m afraid, maybe next time. Anyway.

The mother dragon leans in and nudges the first hatchling with her snout. The tomboyish hatchling hisses as its head is gently pressed. It sniffs its mother, recognising and preserving her scent, and clings onto her snout to be lifted out of its egg. It then climbs up her face and behind the ears for a clearer view at a vantage point. It looks out over the clan it will call family like a meerkat on its hindlegs and roars again.

The second hatchling was not so eager to emerge, however, and it timidly hides within the safety of the egg, barricading itself within the walls. The mother presses her snout into the egg and the shell cracks apart. The hatchling cowers helplessly as the mother nudges it too. The first hatchling jumps off its mother’s head and accompanies its sibling, sniffing it and ensuring safety. The hatchling cautiously sniffs its mother and, understanding she poses no threat, scurries to hide under the laying beast’s feet.

“You have witnessed enough, human.” The watching dragon chieftain says in a deep, thundering voice standing between the mother and the cameraman.

The video is abruptly cut short and the newscasters express their congratulations to the mother as well as the pact. They smoothly transition into the local weather before discussing their national political status.

Nick keeps one ear on the newscasters as he opens the door to the fridge and finds it home to a single near-empty carton of apple juice. He removes the carton and pops off the lid. He chugs the rest of the cool liquid in one mouthful and it smoothly slides down his throat. He sighs in satisfaction and throws the empty carton into the bin. He closes the door and opens the freezer section and scans its drawers. A small bag of raw rabbit haunches sits in the bottom drawer, while a small open box of cut turkey breasts sits in the middle. He shrugs and closes the door.

He returns to his bedroom and picks up the Dushuck from the bedside table, placing it in his pocket, and throws on the chain that lay next to it, tucking the pendant into his shirt. He sits on his bed, takes off his slippers and slides into his shoes. He grabs his slippers and stands up. He quickly assesses the room to check he is leaving nothing behind. He picks up the rucksack he had placed on the chair near the door the night before and exits the bedroom. He throws the bag on the couch and unzips one of the pockets. He puts in first his slippers, then sleeping underwear, and finally his glasses cases in different compartments. Before he zips up, an unusual-sounding noise reaches his ears above the discussion of the television presenters; a high-sounding chime like a bell being stroked reverberated inside his ears.

He turns off the television and listens carefully. He recognises the direction of the sound and stares at the television. He notices on the mantlepiece the silver crystal dragon statuette sits staring at him. He walks over, picks it up and reads the label underneath, “Dragonette”. He gently strokes the head and the same chime was heard, as if enticing him to take it.

He shrugs and places the statuette in his bag and zips up. The statue stops its chiming and falls into relieving silence. He throws his bag over his shoulders and heads to the door. He turns to take one last look around the living room, takes a deep breath, and exits the apartment.

He traverses the near-empty corridors through to the courtyard, up the stone staircase, and into the northern wing. As he enters the N section of the building, he notices a group of students congregating halfway down the corridor. It takes him a few steps to realise they were surrounding princess Celestia, bombarding her with questions, compliments, and ideas and thoughts on modern-day political standards. She is forcing a smile as she is required to answer her admirer’s thoughtful queries. He meets up with Celestia and curtseys upon her greeting.

“Ah, good morning, Nicholas.” She greets with a nod above the crowd, unintentionally interrupting one of the student’s questions.

“Good morning.” Nick returns her greeting.

“You’re in league with the princess?” One of the students says.

“Wow! You’re so cool!” Another remarks.

“How come you’re on a first-name basis with him?” One asks Celestia.

“That is enough questions for now.” She says formally addressing her subjects. “I wish for you to now disperse.”

“Aww.” The students simultaneously respond. The crowd does as requested, though timely and with audible disapproving thoughts. Most students leave the corridor and return to their rooms while few others gather at the end of the corridor and observe. Nick glances over his shoulder as their watchful eyes pierce the back of his neck.

“Ignore them.” Celestia drearily says noticing his glances and reading his thoughts. “They mean no harm.”

“How do you deal with that kind of popularity?” Nick curiously asks.

“It comes with the title, I’m afraid.” She answers. “You simply smile and revert their kindness.”

“And the unkind ones?”

“Banish them to oblivion.” She glances to Nick, whose jaw locks open at her surprising monotonic answer, and cracks a smile. “Show them your kindness regardless.” She adds more seriously. “At the very least they’ll learn something from it.”

Nick nods. “You sound tired.”

“Is it that obvious?” She clears her throat and pauses before saying, “I’ve been up all night, thinking, about Twilight.”

She says nothing more despite Nick waiting for her to continue.

“I understand.” Nick says. “I used to be the same; staying up until early morning filled with thoughts of the future. Until I discovered a way around it.”

“Hmm.” Celestia utters in acknowledgement.

Nick scratches his neck. He was hoping that she would inquire about it but figures she must be too tired to even attempt.

“So, what now?” He says after a while.

“Now we wait for Twilight.” She answers, glancing down the corridor. “I want her to be here before I settle you in. It shouldn’t be long before she’s here.” She mouths something but Nick did not catch it in time.

Minutes pass and they stand in awkward silence. Celestia stares down the corridor in the direction she presumes Twilight will emerge.

“What is it you need me to do exactly?” Nick says, breaking the silence. “With Twilight, I mean.”

“We have already discussed this,” Celestia says, sternly but thoughtfully, “and I will not discuss it again, especially here.”

“Not in much detail.” Nick says. “How should I carry this out?” She does not respond. He decides to pull back a little. “Do you think Twilight will show?”

She returns to silence and says no more to Nick until Twilight arrives. A few early-rising students and tutors pass by, giving Celestia a morning greeting and staring at her with awe. She smiles and shows gratitude towards her captivated fans before swiftly instructing them to move along.

Nick leans against the wall opposite Celestia and studies the students passing by. He glances at the Princess. When she is not being appreciated by her admirers, she stands as uptight and stoic as usual, but her eyes were clouded and dark as they stare longingly down the corridor. Even Nick could tell she was drowning in drowsiness, but her thoughts kept her from satisfying it. What she was thinking of however was beyond his forte, despite what she claims.

At last Twilight arrives not fifteen minutes later, long faced and slow. She walks unwillingly with tiredness in every hoofstep. Her head is hung and her eyes stare blankly at the floor, half-open and dull. She wheels behind her a suitcase filled with her personal belongings and a travelling bag riding on top.

“Good morning, Twilight.” Celestia greets kindly. Twilight does not return her greeting. “How did you find the night?” She answers the question with a swift glance up. Celestia reluctantly accepts this as an answer and moves forward. “I am glad you have agreed to our decision.”

“You mean your decision.” Twilight says under breath. Celestia hears this but does not address it quite yet.

“Good morning, Twilight.” Nick also greets with a friendly smile. She shuns his greeting with a twist of the head. This simple gesture annoys Nick profusely and he snaps at her. “I see you’re still as ignorant as ever.”

“Nick!” Celestia says, sharply glancing at him.

“What did you call me, you dim-witted moron?” Twilight responds sharply, taking a step forward.

“Twilight!” Celestia says, sharply glancing at her.

“Exactly what you are,” Nick says, following her gesture, “nothing more than an uptight little twerp.”

“Enough!” Celestia calls out.

“How dare you call me a twerp, you ugly ape.” Twilight says. “You’re just as-”

“I said enough!” Celestia shouts, cutting Twilight’s sentence short, stomping her heavy hooves onto the ground and standing between them. The potency in her strike shook the very floor they were standing on. The onlookers at the end of the corridor gasp in surprise. Both Nick and Twilight were silenced. “I am not in the mood for foalish games between the two of you. I have had it up to the tip of my horn with your attitude, Twilight.”

“Me?” Twilight says. “What about Him?” She throws a hoof at Nick. “He started it with his pompous remarks.”

“And what did I tell you about showing kindness?” Celestia continues, now turning her attention to Nick. “I expect better from you, Nicholas.”

“How can I be expected to deal with this pompous mare’s attitude?” Nick says.

“There you go with the pompous remarks again.” Twilight says. “How would you like it if I-”

“Enough!” Celestia says again, and Twilight falls silent. Her breathing is shaky, and her eyes are tight. “You two are going to get along with each other, whether you like it or do not.” She takes a heavy step away from the door and further into the middle of the corridor. She turns to face the north-facing room at the top side of the corridor. “I want you both to enter your room and settle your attitudes right now.”

Nick could hear the beating of Celestia’s heavy heart in her dominant voice, beating at twice the potency of thunder. He notices her shaking slightly as her adrenaline courses rapidly through her muscles. His body recognises this and begins to mirror her motions. He glances at Twilight, who glances back at him. She too could tell Celestia was worse for the wear and dares not make it worse.

“Mares first.” He says, taking a step back.

Twilight stares at him with downed eyes but says nothing. She steps forward and stands in front of the door. The handle does not have a sensor beneath it nor a keyhole and instead has nothing.

“There’s no sensor.” She says.

“It’s on old door.” Celestia answers. “I’ll have someone build a sensor when you’re settled.”

Twilight places a hoof on the handle and pushes it down to release the door. The mechanism unlatches itself from its slot and she pushes, but the door does not open. She tries again but with more force, but the door remains unmoving.

As Twilight attempts to open the door, Nick asks Celestia the question that has been on his mind since he opened her letter. “Why did you decide to move us into the north wing?”

“I had spoken to Norma about an arrangement on her side of the university.” Celestia says, her breathing now steady. “However, the last two-bedroomed apartments on the western side had been already taken by new students last month. We thoroughly searched the databank for an opening spot but found nothing. Norma decided to contact the headmaster, whom of which recommended we search the northern wing despite remaining specifically prohibited from being accommodated. Nevertheless, we did find only one room available.”

“N-42.” Nick says, looking at the number plate.

Celestia nods. “With no other options left to weigh out we had no choice but to accept it, and the two rooms now open on either side of the university, the two you and Twilight were in before, left space for two more distant students. Norma was certainly more than happy with the outcome at the expense of a northern room.”

“It’s stuck.” Twilight says, pulling and pushing at the door in frustration.

“What do you mean it sucks?” Nick asks.

“I said it’s stuck!” She repeats in a higher tone of voice.

“Oh. It just needs more force.” Nick says.

“You do it, then.” She says, releasing the handle and taking a step back.

Nick steps up and presses the handle. He pushes and sure enough the door seemed stuck. He places his shoulder to the door and, with the weight of a twenty-two-year-old Tuatha behind him, slams against it. The door shifts slightly but is knocked back into its place.

“Be careful.” Celestia says. “I won’t be liable for any damages.”

“Then they should’ve, ngh, fitted a better door.” Nick says with a sharp breath. As he breathes, he smells something pungent enter his nose and coughs. “It feels like there’s something blocking it from the other side, stopping it from opening.”

“There shouldn’t be…” Celestia says.

He stops pushing and releases the handle. “Who used to live here before?”

Celestia shakes her head. “There were no records of this room ever being occupied. Though rumours have spread it was once home to a creature of anarchy almost two-hundred years ago, before the building was declared a university. We found no accounts of it ever being vacated.”

“And you want us two to live in it?” Nick says.

“So, there could be…” Twilight’s tone drops as her thoughts turn dark.

“I had assigned a university staff member to inspect the room before our arrival. There is nothing to fear.”

“Twilight,” Nick turns to her, “will you hold down the handle while I push?”

She glances to Celestia who stares back from the corner of her eye and nods. She sharply exhales and does as requested with reluctance.

She steps forward and holds down the handle. He places his shoulder against the door again. With Twilight occupying the handle, Nick can now utilise his full strength on pushing open the door. He pushes and the sound of wood scraping on wood could be heard. The door opens slightly but a hefty weight prevents it from moving any further.

“Nngh, Twilight…” He grunts. “Help me push!”

She does so, pressing herself against the door forcing her whole body into pushing.

After a few seconds of strenuous nonstop forceful pushing, the door finally budges and slowly starts to open. After a while, the door is forced open and, with a loud crash from behind the door, was suddenly forced to stop. Nick and Twilight almost fall face-first into the room. The immediate stench that pours out of the room makes Nick gag and he covers his mouth and nose with the collar of his shirt, while Twilight throws a hoof over her snout.

The party of three peer inside. The room was coated in darkness save for the light leaking in from the well-lit corridor. The curtain that was covering the longitudinal window is blacked out, pulled tightly to, and fastened with clips. Twilight uses her magic to turn on the light via the switch at the side of the door. The bulb flashes and bursts, making both Nick and Twilight jump at the sound, and glass shatters onto the floor. Celestia impatiently proceeds to tear down the curtain to fully illuminate the room, breaking the clips that fly across the room. The three gasp at the discovery that was uncovered.

The room is what a lot of people would consider an absolute mess. What had been blocking the door, a large cupboard that had been stacked with books, trinkets, and decorative treasures, is now weighing heavily on the clothes-covered discoloured settee and is preventing the door from opening further. Drawers are placed unorganised into the middle of the room. Tables are tipped onto their surfaces and chairs on their sides. Boxes both large and small are stacked unsteadily on top of furniture and each other about the floor. Items of clothing from shirts, shoes, and pants have been draped over every surface imaginable, including the floor. Individual pieces of dry, crisp paper have been scattered all over the room and on top of the clothing. Protruding out of open drawers and scattered across the floor are small hazardous objects such as mirror fragments, sharp metal pipes, and fractured pieces of wood. Moths and spiders that were disturbed are now flying and skittering everywhere in a frantic attempt to escape the sunlight and disappear back into darkness.

Atop all this disorder sits a thick layer of dust that has grown over the many years of neglect, save for what has been disturbed by the falling of the door-blocking cupboard which is now floating aimlessly circulating around the room. The carpet and wallpaper are ripped and tearing almost everywhere, revealing the bare brick and wooden panels beneath them. There are marks stained into every wall and sections of floor. There is not a single spot on the floor that is safe to stand upon.

Were the room not in such a state of ruin, it would be an ordinary double-bedroomed apartment once again appearing smaller on the outside. Stepping through the main door immediately places you in the open living room with the kitchen counters stretching along the backwall. The window is situated to the right of the kitchenette between the counter and the wall of the first bedroom. Both bedrooms are built into the right-hand wall and situated next to each other. Further along the wall is another door that leads into a small old-fashioned laundrette, and through the door at the other side of the laundrette is the bathroom.

Beyond the smell of must and dust was a putrid smell coming from under the large pile of waste defiling the corner, of which made both Nick and Twilight gag violently.

“That smell is disgusting!” Twilight exclaims as she coughs fiercely with tears in her eyes. She uses her magic to open the window wide in the hopes that the fresh breeze blowing will flow the stench outside. A large gust of wind enters, and a cloud of dust is made airborne and is almost immediately sucked out into the backyard like a vacuum.

“You can say that again.” Nick says, his nose still covered with his collar. “This place is a dump.”

“You should feel right at home, then.” Twilight says.

“Look, look!” Nick points at a large rat scurrying wildly between two pieces of furniture before disappearing under the wreckages. “Did you see that rat? That thing was huge!” They pause and wait for it to emerge again, but it does not. “I hope you’re not afraid of rodents.” He jests.

“I’m talking to one, aren’t I?” She seriously answers.

He turns to her and chatters his teeth to imitate a mouse’s gnawing. She stares at him with indifference. He rolls his eyes and ignores her seriousness.

“And we’re supposed to live here for an entire year?” He asks.

“Who used to live in this junkyard of an apartment before they abandoned it?” Twilight asks.

They turn to Celestia in hopes for an answer, but she stares into the room with a clear indication of horrified shock frozen on her face. She is stunned to find the room in the state it is.

“P-Princess?” Twilight says with hesitance.

She is pulled from her frozen state upon Twilight’s call and throws her gaze away from them. “I thought I told them to prepare this room!” She growls under her breath with a shake of the hoof. “Why that stupid… Gah! I’m going to kill Live Wires!” She closes her eyes and breathes deeply to calm herself. She slowly lifts her face to meet theirs. “I’m sorry about this.” She says once composed, keeping her eyes closed. She rubs her temple firmly with her hoof. “This morning has been such a disaster. I had specifically requested the room be cleaned and prepared for your arrival this morning.” She removes her hoof and opens her eyes. “I’ll speak to Norma personally about arranging someone to fix this. Maybe she will have better authority than I. In the meantime, I’m afraid you’ll have to busy yourselves for a little while just until the room is ready.”

Nick folds his arms and taps his own temple as a cloud of thought swirls around his head and is given solidarity. “Wait, Princess.” He says. “I think I may have an idea.” They turn to him and await his suggestion. “Why don’t you let us clean the room, together, me and Twilight?”

“What?” Twilight says in a raised voice.

“Hear me out!” Nick says, holding a finger up to her. “It’s the perfect activity for us to have a good chance to talk while we work, get to know each other while the cleaning serves as a distraction. It’ll be a first step in creating a bond.”

“No!” Twilight says, taking a step toward him. “Shut up! You don’t know what you’re talking about. This is the university’s fault, not yours nor mine. They should have taken better care of their rooms and not let it get this bad in the first place. Why should I have to clean what they neglect? Let them clean it so I can go back to my room and…”

“Negative.” Celestia says, quickly cutting her off. “I’m afraid that will not be possible.”

“What?” Twilight says, sharply twisting her head to Celestia in surprise. “Why?”

“Did I not state in your letter that distant students have been arranged to your room, both your rooms? I’m afraid the effect is taken immediately.”

“You’re joking, right?” Twilight says. Celestia stares at her with no hint of sarcasm in her eyes. “Princess, you can’t be serious.” Celestia nods with heavy reluctance on her shoulders, and Twilight frowns.

Celestia turns to Nick. “And you are positive about your intent.”

“I am.” He says.

“Then so be it.” She says. Twilight’s heart drops upon hearing this. “You two will be in charge of restoring this outrages room to its former state.”

“But,” Twilight begins, “even if we were to do it, clear out this mess-heap, it will take ages to remove all this junk.”

“She has a point.” Nick says, glancing back into the room. “There is a lot of junk to shift, and I still have classes to attend.”

“I’m sure you two will come to a compromise.” Celestia says. Nick attempts to offer her another suggestion, but she speaks before they can be heard. “I must go now. I have other important businesses to attend.”

She turns to Twilight and kneels down to her level. From the glint of Twilight’s avoidant eyes, Celestia could see she was wavering in angered thoughts. She attempts to look directly into her eyes but Twilight does not look back.

“Twilight, listen to me.” She says gently. Twilight slowly turns her head to face her but does not initiate eye contact. “I want you to at least try to get along with Nick. Become his close friend; listen to him and learn from him, give him your trust, share with him your thoughts, and be happy in his company.”

Twilight looks away, shifting her head to the side, and stares at the floor. She says nothing but, unbeknownst to Celestia and Nick, is filled with thoughts of desertion. Celestia stands back up and walks over to Nick. She places a firm hoof on his shoulder.

“Take care of her, Nick.” She says with a determined push of the hoof. “I’m counting on you. Please don’t let me down.”

He breathes deeply and nasally. He raises a hand and presses it against her raised hoof; the first time he has touched royalty, and her coat feels warm and smooth. “You have my word, Princess.”

She forces a smile and a slight nod before removing her hoof and heading down the corridor, leaving both Nick and Twilight alone to deal with their temporary living status. “I need a nap before my departure.” She adds under breath as she heads out of the corridor. She is followed by the group of admirers until she disappears into her temporary room to await the arrival of her personal carriage.

“Good one, Nick.” He says to himself, forcefully knocking on his forehead. “You’re going to have to work twice as hard now.” He turns to face Twilight who is frowning at the disappearance of Celestia. He sighs before telling her, “I’m sorry about my comment earlier. It was out of character for me.”

“So you should be.” Twilight answers back.

Nick clenches his fist and his body tightens in frustration. He wants to lash out but reminds himself of the greater cause. He takes a breather – one, two, three, one, two, three – and releases his fist.

“I guess we should get started.” He says, with annoyance still lingering in his cheek. He looks into the room to remind him once again just how much trash needed to be removed. “We’re gonna need some equipment. Gloves, masks, a ton of bags, and…”

“I’ll get them.” Twilight quickly says and gallops down the corridor with speed.

Nick watches her disappear through the doors. “Then I’ll wait here.” He tells himself. He leans against the wall and speaks to himself so quietly that only his thoughts can hear what he has to say. “You have more patience than that, Nick. You need to keep yourself cool. Try keeping in mind your little brother when you talk to her, then maybe…” He closes his eyes and falls silent. He waits for her to return, all the while thinking of how best to deal with the hatred he finds himself targeted with.