• Published 24th Jul 2018
  • 342 Views, 1 Comments

Let it all out - alternate version - TwiwnB



Twilight gets some bad news.

  • ...
 1
 342

A letter in the night

The night was calm, quiet and the warm air that was kind of preventing many ponies to enjoy the sleep they were hoping for was perfect for those who were using the dark of the night to plan and scheme at the light of a candle.

Of course, Twilight was planning a scheming an excursion for the students of her school, but still, she wanted to cultivate the ominous look.

She had been working a lot lately. There was just so much to do, so many project to advance. She had received a request from the deers to open another friendship school into their territory under her guidance, an opportunity she wanted to exploit to its fullest potential. She also had two conferences to prepare, three events to organize and she wanted to completely reorganize the equestrian armed forces after a long and complicated analysis directly on the site.

Then she could start working on her other projects.

“Twilight…” a voice called to her.

She ignored it for just a second, because she was focused on the wording of the third sentence of the second paragraph of her announcement of the deer request to princess Celestia, something she didn’t want to mess up.

Also, Spike had to learn patience anyway.

“Twilight!” Spike insisted.

So much for patience… Twilight stopped writing and turned toward him. She had to admit, there was something a bit impressive about the reflection of the moonlight on his dragon scales. Even if they were only baby dragon scales.

“There is a letter for you.” Spike explained, handing over a nicely wrapped letter.

Twilight took it, thanked Spike, read who had sent it and put it on a pile with almost a hundred other letters altogether.

“Come on…” Spike said. “Aren’t you going to at least reply?” he asked.

“Of course I will reply.” Twilight answered. “I just have some other more important things to do right now… and I already sent them a card last week.”

Spike sighed.

“It was almost three months ago Twilight…” he reminded her. “Look, you don’t even have to read the letter, I’ll do it for you.”

He grabbed the letter on top of the pile and opened it, ignoring Twilight’s recrimination, then started to read:

“Our dear Twilight, we hope that our letter will find you well. You always had a bad habit of not eating healthy enough, so you better watch that. No sugar after the sun has set, you know the rule. We know that you are very preoccupied, given all of your duties as a princess. We probably haven’t told you how proud we are of you on that subject. We hope we will be able to see you soon.”

Spike stopped for a time to look at Twilight, who evaded his glare, so he just continued:

“We will be at 38th street for a while if you come for a visit. It’s probably nothing, but your father wanted to be certain, as always. Do not worry and make sure to brush your teeth diligently. No book reading excuses! Your parents who love you very very much, Twilight Velvet and Night Light.”

Twilight got hit by a shimmer for a second, but immediately regained her composure.

“You see Spike? Everything is fine. Now, there is have some important work I have to handle, so if you will excuse me…”

But Spike would have none of it:

“Wait… 38th street… isn’t that the hospital? Are mom and dad in the hospital? Shouldn’t we go visit right away?”

“No, yes, I mean no, not right away.” Twilight replied. “I mean, of course we are going to visit them. But didn’t you hear what they wrote? Things are fine, it’s probably just a routine check. Old ponies are like that, they need to go to the hospital more frequently, it’s normal. They have already gone there like dozen of times.”

“Maybe it’s worse this time!” Spike said. “What if it’s worse? We have to go right now!”

Twilight sighed, accompanying it with a gentle smile. She stepped down her chair and hugged Spike.

“It’s going to be okay. I promise.” She told him.

He looked up to her and smiled back.

“Tell you what.” She added. “I will be finished with most of the paperwork by tomorrow night. We can go visit them after tomorrow or, at worst, the day after tomorrow. Would that make you feel better?”

Spike snorted, looked away and replied:

“You know, I just care for you you know. They are your parents after all, not mine. I’m not worried at all.”

Twilight just hugged him more tightly in response.

“… but yeah, that does make me feel better, thanks.” He added.