• Published 16th Jul 2018
  • 428 Views, 5 Comments

Dance With Me, Baby! - Warp Contrast



Bright Garnet doesn't go to parties. He even tried to excuse himself from his own "Welcome To Ponyville" party. This time his friends, the few he's made, drag him out to one.

  • ...
 5
 428

Sitting In The Corner

I hate parties. I can't stand being stuck around all of those ponies. I don't know any of them, they aren't my friends. I don't do well with strangers, if I'm honest. I've gone to a few parties before, but I never saw the point. I've only got a few friends, the ones I've known since school, way back when. They keep harassing me about things, trying to get me to go out, meet someone new, maybe a special somepony, even. I just shake my head awkwardly and change the subject if I can.

I haven't really told you who I am, have I? Bright Garnet. That's my name, I mean. I'm a unicorn. Sorta between stocky and thin? It's weird. My coat is a sort of reddish brown, though it used to just be red, when I was younger. My mane, sorta like an off-color dark brown? It's always been sorta hard to pin down, though it might just be me, I suppose. My eyes have always been this brilliant red, though. If nothing else, I have that. I grew up in Ponyville, though I left after I was done with school cause I felt like there was more to the world. Not that there wasn't, I was just a little too afraid of everyone to actually see it, so I just came home. I wouldn't say I'm as bad as some, but I dread talking to folks. Thank god for my friends though. When I came back, they were the only reason I was able to find a job and able to sort of get settled again. Even two years might have been too much time to be away from home, so many things have changed around here...

Tonight, my friends decided to team up against me and dragged me out against my will to go to a party with them. Not that I hold it against them, it's not the first time, after all, but oh...

...oh Celestia...

Why? Because I've been stagnating, they say, because I haven't been talking to anyone but them since middle school and they were going to do something about it. I don't say anything as I'm levitated there, Bulk holding the rear, making sure I don't get away even if I get dropped, a unicorn to either side, holding my legs up. We must look pretty weird, like this, and that does nothing to help me here. Thanks to Lyra, that utmost nuisance, my best friend, I'm being carried through Ponyville like some kind of prisoner of war. Maybe I can just sit this out? Hold off in the corner? Maybe...

Obviously, it doesn't take long to get there. It's Ponyville. I think the furthest house is maybe a mile out of town, and even that might be a stretch. They plant me down on the ground and Lyra gives me one of those weird, confident looks she always has when she thinks she's on to something, like that time she thought she found actual evidence of those weird, like, ape minotaurs.

"Bright, you know why you're here. Call it an intervention, call it torture, it doesn't change what's happening here, tonight," she says confidently, like she's practiced this speech. "We're here to find you somepony new, somepony you've never met before. We're here to expand your circle of friends, but most importantly, we're here to have fun and enjoy the night!" It's like she's never met me. I do enjoy the night, I have games and things. It's not like I just sit at home and do nothing all the time.

Except I do.

Like, all the time. I just sleep. I know she's right, though I would never admit it, so I just stay quiet until we get inside. This is somewhere I haven't bothered going in a while, Sugarcube Corner. I used to come here with my friends just about every Saturday or so. Thankfully, no sign of Pinkie Pie, yet. I appreciate the effort, but I really don't want to be anywhere near her most days. She's always just a little... much. The only Element Bearer I've met and, if that's how they all are, I'm not enthusiastic to meet the rest.

I find a drink, some hard cider, and find my way to the corner to sit another party out. I do this every time, much to the chagrin of my good pals. Hopefully I can space out within a few minutes. Last time it took forever, everypony bumping into me and snapping me out of it. I'm just kind of staring at the crowd, silently cursing my fear of talking to other ponies, when I see her. It's just for a second, but I'm struck by her in an instant. White coat, purple mane, gorgeous sapphire eyes looking my way as the crowd splits for just a moment. I've never seen her before, never met her. I can't believe I never have. How could I miss her? I can't just sit down, I have to say something, do something. I need to meet her. I hunt down Lyra as soon as I can, I need a wingmare, and thankfully I might have one.

"Lyra, thank Celestia I found you!" I gasp, a little winded from weaving and dodging through the crowd to find her. "I need your help!"

"No, I'm not taking you home, you're not getting off this easily," She says with a smirk, though that expression quickly shifts to one of confusion. "Wait, need my help? Why?"

"I've met somepony, or seen somepony, whatever. Point is, there's this mare, and I have to meet her, but I need your help," I plead, hoping she's still as enthusiastic to help me as she seemed when she brought me here. That mare is always prone to flights of fancy, always so eclectic. She just jumps ship on one project to find something new, often not finishing what she's started. It's a wonder she and Bon Bon have stayed together so long. She's happy, though, and there's no way I'd rather she be. "So, will you help me?"

Author's Note:

Sort of a first draft. I'm a little out of practice. Hopefully this is well received. Here's hoping, right? Here's the link to the song I mentioned. https://youtu.be/sC0IWVEq4o0