• Published 7th Jul 2018
  • 1,194 Views, 50 Comments

Inverno’s Opus in A Minor - CrackedInkWell



Taking place after the events of "Inverno in F Minor," after he finds that he couldn't make friends with foals his age, Inverno decides to make friends by using a resurrection ritual. However, an unexpected incident sends him on a quest to find them.

  • ...
1
 50
 1,194

12: Night Music in F Major

In the dining car of a train heading eastward, Buch looked out of the window towards the passing pine trees that the sun was casting its setting rays on. At times, he had to remind himself that he wasn’t dreaming, even though it very well seemed that it might as well have been. It was only yesterday that he had to beg for food in this unfamiliar world, and now he was well underway towards the golden city of Canterlot in luxuries that were unknown to him. Not even the princes that he entertained had anything like this warm, inviting room on wheels in which hot and cold food is served on a whim. Where the lights never flicker, and the room didn’t ever feel too hot or too cold. And the speed at which they’re traveling! Not even the swiftest carriage drivers he knew could go as fast and gentle as this contraption could.

“Here’s the coffee you asked.” Buch turned his head to the one that made all of this possible for him. The red unicorn sat down next across from him levitating a tray with two mugs, a coffee pot, with sugar and milk. “Normally, I wouldn’t drink this stuff at this hour, but now, it just sounded good to me.”

“Thank you, sir.”

As Quarter Note poured the black, strong liquid into equal shares, he commented. “Forgive me for prying, but you’ve been awfully quiet ever since we boarded the train. Is something wrong?”

“No. I just…” Buch thought over what words to use next. “This is still quite much to digest.”

“Ah…” He nodded as he passed the mug towards him. “Just to be clear, how you became homeless is none of my business. However, even still there are a few... curious things about you that I’d like to know if you’re willing to share.”

Buch raised an eyebrow. “Such as?”

“Well, Mr. Chub, I’d like to know more about your musical talents. Your playing of Buch is phenomenal, clear and even the very tone of it was unique. Almost as if the composer himself sat right down and played it out.”

There was an awkward cough from Buch before taking a sip of his coffee. “What can I say… I have plenty of experience with Buch’s methods.”

“I see.” Note nodded. “So how long have you been a musician?”

“Hmm… A difficult question to answer.”

“How come?”

Buch shrugged. “For starters, I grew up in a very musical family. There wasn’t one pony I knew that wasn’t involved in music somehow. Such as playing an instrument or two, or even composing the occasional piece. I was taught at a young age you see. And I have my little ambition to try to master as many instruments as I could get my hooves on.”

“Ah, there’s nothing wrong with having ambition.” The conductor across from him grinned. “What do you play best at?”

“Oh, let’s see… the violin, viola, cello, viola-de-gamba, the lute, harpsichord, clavichord, the organ, just to name a few – and recently the piano.”

Quarter Note gave a low whistle. “All of these? Forgive my prejudice, but you don’t look someone that’s above thirty or forty. How can you play all of these instruments?”

“I had plenty of time.” Buch deadpanned.

“Alright…” Note gave a quick sip before changing the subject. “So… is Buch you're only interested?”

“In a manner of speaking.”

“Alright, so what interested you in Buch’s work? Come to think of it, how much do you know about it?”

“I can play all of it by heart.”

There was a pause between the two. “By heart?” Note asked in amazement. “But… There are over a thousand known works of Buch!”

“And I know every one of them,” he tapped the side of his head, “right here. I know every sonata, every suite, every fugue, cantata, concerto, and his method for how these things came to be. I know how to improvise fugues, counterpoints, and melodies when called upon.”

Note’s jaw dropped. “But… if what you’re saying is true… then you must have the kind of knowledge and skill that might be on par with Buch himself. And given what I heard a while back, I’m shocked that nopony has heard you until now.”

“What can I say?” Buch shrugged. “I was taught to never show off. That it is better to be modest and know that you are the best than you blabbering to others that you are. Let them tell you not them. You see?”

“Maybe not. But when we get back to Canterlot, I’ll organize a concert for your world debut, of course, I just need to narrow down what pieces from Buch that would give you a great introduction to.”

Buch looked out the rushing window once more in thought. “What about any of the keyboard concertos? They demonstrate a soloist’s skill and virtuosity.”

“Oh! That’s perfect! Especially when they’re Princess Celestia’s favorites, if anything, I wouldn’t be surprised if she showed up to listen to them again.”

Buch went wide-eyed at this. “Do you really think so?”

“It wouldn’t be the first time that she had to stop everything to spend a good fifteen, twenty minutes to listen to one of those concertos, especially the first one. If you impress her, you would be on easy street for the rest of your life.”

There was a pause as Buch looked at his reflection in the window. “I can only pray that will be the case.”


The Blue Sun Bar and Grill wasn’t a very large space, to begin with. If anything, it was a small space for customers despite taking up the whole first floor. Of course, for a restaurant, it was very… simplistic in design from the warm purple walls to the white tables with cushions to sit at. However, there were still countless dishes of every course that flowed out from the kitchen and placed before the wealthier looking ponies that smiled at the meal they could afford.

Between the customers and a window that looked out the passing Manehatteners was a white, baby grand piano that Horseshoepin sat alone playing away a nocturne. As much as he was growing tired from playing, he was rather grateful that at least that he and Liszt now have a job at what they do best. It was arranged that Liszt should have the lunch shift while he with dinner until closing time. On the other hoof, there was something rather uncomfortable playing to a small crowd of strangers. Sure, this wasn’t new from the life he once knew, but it only brought back memories of playing for an unfamiliar crowd in an unfamiliar city… and how isolating it all is.

“Do you always play Horseshoepin?” The musician nearly leaped out of his hide as he suddenly stopped and looked up to who was talking to him. It was a mare yellow in a black dress. Her light orange mane was tied back, along with wearing the kind of jewelry and makeup that was putting up a pretty face for someone. In one hoof, she held a glass. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle ya.”

“Uh…” Horseshoepin’s throat dried up. “Can I uh… help… you?” He asked awkwardly.

“Well… not really you can do at this point. My date still hasn’t shown up and I think I’m being snubbed up… again.”

“Oh… I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Nah… I’ve already given up disappointment at this point. Anyway, I just wanna basically come by to say that you’re pretty good. I mean, I couldn’t help notice you’ve been playing a lot of Horseshoepin’s stuff since I got here.”

“Is… that a problem?”

She shook her head. “I never said that. You mind if I sit down?”

Meekly, he scooched over to let the mare sit next to him. “So… any requests?”

“Do you know Horseshoepin’s Nocturne uh… Opus nine number… two I think.”

“What? You mean the one that starts out.” He played out the first few bars in which the mare brightened up.

“Yeah! That’s it. Before I just go home, would you mind playing that for me at least?”

So after taking in a deep breath, Horseshoepin lifted his hooves to the keys to let the instrument sing.

At first, he paid attention to the internal echo of the piano as it began to sing a lamenting but dreaming solo. One that wished for days gone by, of simpler times that was familiar but beautiful all the same. He glanced over to the mare that had her eyes closed and had a relaxed smile.

“Ya know,” she remarked, “this is probably the most perfect version I’ve ever heard.”

“You don’t say, ma’am?”

Her smile boarded a little. “It’s so smooth but… I don’t know… It still has life, you know? Sure, I’ve played this before, but I’ve never got anywhere this... well, dreamlike. I don’t hear a note of it out of place and yet, you make it sound so effortlessly.”

Horseshoepin blushed. “T-Thank you.”

She opened her eyes. “Point being, I think you have a gift is all.” The mare paused for a moment to hear the instrument swell a little in its song of loneliness. “How long have you been playing?”

“Can’t say… all my life I would think. I have spent so many years at the keyboard that I didn’t bother to count.”

“And it shows. I mean… with a sound like that, it’s enough to make anyone cry.”

“I’m just a pianist.”

“Don’t be so modest.” She gave him a light pat on the back. “You have serious skills with this that I think you should be at those fancy concert halls.”

“I just needed the job is all. I’ve recently come here with an old friend of mine.”

“Ah… I see.” There was another pause between them. “Where are ya from anyway?”

“Końland.”

“That far away?” She raised an eyebrow.

“It’s… It’s complicated. Gone from there to Paris to… well, here. Not by choice, mind you. But my friend and I are just trying to do what we can like everypony else.”

“What’s your name anyway?”

That question was almost enough to make him stop playing the piano. However, he took a moment to consider how to answer this question. “Heartstring Horseshoepin.”

The mare paused. “Horseshoepin? Like… are you related to-”

“Fryderyk is my great-great-great-granduncle.” He lied. “I’m the few in my family that is able to play my ancestor’s pieces well – although I can’t say if it is as good as he was.”

He heard the mare snort. “I’d say you are. That’s actually really cool if you ask me. You should get more ponies to hear you play more often.”

“I uh… I don’t like large crowds.”

“Why not?”

“Well… I’m just somewhat shy is all.”

“But you’re playing for me, and these guys in the restaurant.”

“That’s because there’s not many around and you’re nice…” Horseshoepin blushed at making this compliment.

The mare next to him giggled. “Really? You think I’m nice?”

“Well… you were not rude or any of the such. And you’re just… easy to talk to without getting too nervous…”

“Aww, that’s sweet of ya, really. Since my intended date has been nothing but a disaster, hearing that is needed. I guess that makes all the defense in the world, doesn’t it? To hear some kind words after something so heartless. A little sweet word is helpful on a night like this. So, yeah, thanks for that.”

“O-Of course ma’am.”

As the piece was getting close to its finishing bars, the mare stood up. “The name’s Orange Leaf, by-the-way, I guess I should get going but thanks for the music – and the talk.”

“Ah, well I hope that the night would be easier on you.”

“I’ll be fine. But still, I did mean when I say that you have a gift, Mr. Horseshoepin. Maybe I’ll see you around sometime.”

“Perhaps. I’ll be here during the dinner shift all week, should you want to see me.”

She smiled. “I’ll keep that in mind. Good night, Mr. Horseshoepin.” With that, she walked out of the restaurant while he finished the final bars of the piece.

“Wow.” Horseshoepin swing around startled to find Liszt there. “In a new world for a few days and already you’ve got yourself a marefriend. I’m impressed.” He added with a teasing smile.

The earth pony pianist’s blush deepened. “N-Now wait a minute! We just met, and she was having a disappointing night, so she wanted somepony to talk to.”

“Of course, that’s what happened.” Liszt rolled his eyes with an amused smile on his face. “Anyway, since it’s getting close to closing time, I wanna take you somewhere that I think would interesting.”

“Like what?”

There was a mischievous smile that crept on his muzzle. “Have you ever been to a modern dance hall?”


In the few days since he started working in Las Pegasus, there was a place that caught Lully’s curiosity. Next door from the casino, was a building that at night had the sound of continuous thumping coming from the inside. What caught his intrigue was that it didn’t sound like a machine, at least, not the way that he knew. There was a rhythm to it, something like an odd-sounding drumbeat.

On the surface, the squat looking building was made out of brick with a door in front that was guarded by a pony made up of macule. Above was a brightly illuminated neon sign that didn’t seem out of place among the strip. A complicated twist of brilliant pipes to form letters and hearts that seem to beat. The words formed in buzzing blue was: Heatbeatz Club. Part of him thought that the name was rather appropriate on the account that the very building itself sounded like it has a heartbeat.

Lully had gotten off his shift and stood outside of the casino and out of uniform, trying to figure out what he ought to do now.

“Hey, it’s you again.” The zebra turned to find Fancy and Fleur, calling out to him as they approached him. The mare who spoke waved at him. “Are you off duty I take it?”

“No Madame, I was placed on probation for good behavior.” This got the newlyweds to chuckle. “Truth be told, I’m not exactly sure what I should do with the spare time I have. Where are you two going?”

“Well, Fleur wanted to go to one of the newer dance clubs in the city.” Fancy explained. “In fact, we were thinking of taking a look at the one next door to see if it’s any good. So far, we’ve heard some good things about it.”

Lully turned towards the squatty building next door. “Ah, I see. If it’s not too much to ask, may I join you as I’m rather new to Las Pegasus myself?”

The couple glanced at each other. “Well… I don’t see why not. Are you any good at dancing?”

Lully grinned, “Oh quite Mousier. Although… how do we get in?”

“Leave that to us,” Fleur said the three of them went over to the next building in which, after paying for paper bands to be placed on their forehooves, they were allowed entry.

Once inside, they walked into a very dark space that was only lit up by neon, spotlight, and a tiled floor that lit up every time someone stepped on one. Depending on where he moved to, Lully noticed the white portion of his striped coat gave off bright, unnatural colors from brilliant blue, purple, green, pink, and orange. In the center was a dance floor where most of the activity took place were ponies dancing to the deafening music that was controlled by a single pony by a machine up in front. Along the walls were either a bar or booths with drunk, easily excitable ponies that hooted and hollered.

“What you say we have a few drinks before head to the dance floor?” Fancy asked as he gestured over to the bar. Lully saw the bar was made out of glass and mirrors as the bazaar lights not only made it glow but change colors right before his eyes. The three of them approached the bar in which they ordered a few drinks. “So, Monsieur Lully,” Fancy began, “what exactly did you do before you came to Equestria?”

The zebra tilted his head. “What do you mean?”

“What occupation did you have?” Fleur explained. “Did you have a job in Prance?”

“I had, yes,” Lully said, picking up his glass. “A long time ago, I used to not only play music, but I composed too. Mostly dances you see. But now… I have fallen out of favor as of late.”

“Oh, dear.” Fancy gave a sympathetic pat on his back. “We’re sorry to hear that.”

“Don’t be,” he waved it off, “I guess it’s bound to happen eventually. Sure, I’m an antique now, but when things went right for me, I managed to make Kings dance to my tunes. However, times have changed.”

“Maybe you could try your luck here,” Fleur said with an optimistic smile. “You said so yourself that you’re looking for a new change of pace. Well, Equestria might give your musical talents a chance for anyone to listen to.”

Lully shook his head. “I wrote my works that were in style and to glorify the ponies that I wrote them for. But listen to that...” He looked over at the DJ that changed the tempo of the beat that thumped through the speakers. “I don’t know if I’m able to compete with something that’s able to make a crowd like that dance.”

“Well, you never know until you try.” Fancy objected. “As someone who set trends, especially among the wealthy would tell you, is that ponies will be attracted to anything that’s new. In regard to this crowd, just keep in mind that they’re not the rule compared to the many kinds of modern music. With them, all you need is a good beat to get them hooked.”

If only I knew how…’ Lully silently lamented.

Fleur spoke up. “Do you happened to bring your music over with you?”

“That’s the funny thing, Madame.” Lully tapped his forehead. “Everything that I ever made is all right here in my head. I don’t know if I’ll be able to find any copies, I would certainly be able to write it all down if I had something to write with.”

“Well, then…” Fancy said before downing his drink. “Perhaps you should let us hear what you have. If it’s any good, then perhaps we could pull a few strings to get a Royal hearing.”

This got Lully’s attention. “You could do that?”

“I’m friends with some of the Royal Family. So it shouldn’t be a problem for me.” He said as he puts a few bits on the bar. “Right then, let’s dance.” But before he or his new wife could leave, they noticed that Lully remained there, transfixed.

He was holding a coin that Fancy put down. It was one of those newer ones that had the face of a youthful, unicorn stallion with a short mane. “Who is this?” He asked.

Both of the newlyweds blinked. “Prince Shining Armor,” Fleur answered before adding. “Don’t you know him? He’s been around for a few years now.”

Lully, however, didn’t answer as he felt the smooth face of the coin. His mind lost in thought as it brought him back to Prance.

It was back at a time when Prance had a young Royal on the throne. Lully still remembered his face well – youthful but undoubtedly a stallion. With a mane of antique gold with a royal blue coat that covered his form. The unicorn had signs of strength but it too was crafted to perfection as if he were a living ancient Pegasi statue. Even from the first day he came to his graces, Lully knew that the crowned Louis XIV was different from all other kings. He was perfumed with ambition, spoke in a voice of confidence but elegance, even the light from Celestia’s sun seemed to bless him.

He remembered his most important moment of his life – the first time that his ballet was about to be played to the court, and the king himself shall be dancing as the star. It was the most ambitious piece he ever wrote that the ballet itself would go on throughout the whole night and finishing with the literal sunrise of the King. While this was a great honor by itself, he knew that he must take the opportunity to solidify the one thing he wanted most.

As he recalled, it was in the early hours of the morning when the sun was about to rise as Lully, carrying a velvet box underneath the stage towards the king. “Sire!” He called out. “I have a surprise.”

The King, while in a golden costume with his servants making last-minute touches stood on a platform that will soon raise him up said: “No time. The sun will rise soon. If I stop now, I’ll never be ready.”

“But it is a royal surprise.” Lully insisted. “So that they may see you as never before.” The composer offered up the box to him in which the King’s servants opened it up to show him golden dancing shoes with Celestia’s sun on them. “You are stubborn like me. Fortunately, you’re just as curious as me. A fine fault, even in a King.” One of the shoes was taken out in which showed that it had a red stilt at one end. “Consider it as a little stage to carry with you, from which Your Majesty can command the world.”

At first, Louis thought that it was madness to dance in shoes that he wasn’t familiar with at the last minute. “I wore them myself,” Lully reassured, “to break them in. See how agile they are. With these, you’ll tower over the greatest of ponies. I do swear upon my mother’s gravestone, that I do want what is best for you. To drool with awe… to acclaim you, for I wish to see you happy.”

While the King did have these shoes be put on his hooves, he said to Lully. “I warn you: If I fall, you will go right back to Istally.”

“And if you don’t fall, Sire?”

Louis looked at him, “What would you want most?”

“To be Prench, Majesty. Istallions are despised in Paris, but I assure you that my heart belongs to Prance. Only my tongue still stubbornly resists. If it is to be your wish, I will cut it out. For it serves no purpose for playing music or dance.”

This was enough to make the King smile. “Once I am truly the King, you shall be Prench.”

Lully blinked, “But… you are king.”

“Only on stage, Baptiste. The realm of Music and Dance is all my mother and her ministers allow me. But once I have secured to all rights and privileges, and you will become Prench by my word.”

Then the trapdoor above was opened and Lully watched the King being raised to the stage. “As you wish… my King.”

As he felt the face of the coin in his hoof, Lully’s feeling of longing suddenly busted out when something strange happened. An explosion of brilliant light filled the dancing club in which the dark club seemed to transform before his and everyone’s eyes and ears. Everypony saw that there were now golden statues, marble columns, candles, and bright sunlight. Even the clothing that the ponies found themselves wearing caught everyone off guard as they were a mix of their modern t-shirts, sunglasses, and glow stick bracelets with elaborate overcoats, white powdered wigs, and dresses that blended both old and new. Even the DJ was taken aback as there was more of him holding something a mix of classical instruments with a modern twist of having buttons, lights, and dials.

Lully heard Fancy’s voice say something, but he was looking at himself… in the clothing that he was familiar with from the curly wig to the conductor’s staff in his hoof. But before he could ask what was going on, fireworks popped from the center of the dance floor where up rose a pony that seemed to be made out of light itself. A stallion’s form that almost looked as if he was surrounded by ethereal fire that burned neither him nor those around.

The composer raised his staff that he noticed the other DJ’s raised their instruments, waiting to begin. But when his eyes turned toward the new stallion’s face, one that resembled that of the coin, he felt that longing inside of him. He saw how the stallion was positioned as if he were waiting for his cue. Clearing his throat, he felt compelled to say, “Le Roi, Danse!” before he started to conduct.

What he heard was undoubtedly his music, but at the same time… it almost wasn’t. The sound resembled that of the noise that he came in, but now the notes were organized enough to register that it was his own. Even with the electrical, metallic tones, it was still carried that elegance and harmony that at the burst of its louder reprisal, the glowing stallion began to dance.

The dancers from the club watched this mysterious pony danced in a way that was part ballet in grace in movement, but modern in how he moved. It was wild but précised. He danced like a flickering flame as the hooves and neck twist one moment and reform the next. But all the while, there was something within those movements that commanded Majesty to all who see it as he moved with the rhythm and time to the marching music.

But just as the stranger had appeared, he, along with the sudden change in atmosphere disappeared as he bowed with the closing of the music. Suddenly, the bright and splendor space gave way back to the dark dance club with all its neon lights. Even the clothes had faded with everything else, but even at this small special, it was enough to get applause from those that were in the club.

“Did you do that?” Lully finally snapped out of it to realize that Fancy Pants was talking to him. He looked at the couple who were awe-struck. “Was that all you?”

“I…” Noticing that his conducting staff and clothes were gone, he blinked as he returned the same amount of confusion back. “I don’t know what that was. But whatever that was… I think I saw a ghost dancing.”

“Who was it?” Asked Fleur.

Choosing his next words carefully, he replied: “Someone I once knew, and cared deeply about.”