• Published 25th Jun 2018
  • 630 Views, 9 Comments

The Detective Lost in Time - SweetCookie



With crime running wild in Equestria, one stallion frozen in time answers the call of justice. Will he and his assistant solve the crime before it's too late?

  • ...
0
 9
 630

By Name of Time Turner

"B-b-but, Doctor, that was 400 years ago! The first grandfather clock was invented 400 years ago!
SCKRTSH
B-b-but, Doctor, that was 400 years ago! The first grandfather clock was invented 400 years ago!
SCKRTSH
B-b-but, Doctor, that was 400 years ago! The first grandfather clock was invented 400 years ago!"

The sounds of the audio recorder continued to repeat itself, it's echoes disappearing into the room. Another noise that didn't seem to disappear were the cries of Doctor Whooves, after reality hit him as hard as ice. Nurses raced into the room to figure out what was wrong, but all they could find was the Doctor weeping into his hoof and the recorder that continued to play until it was stopped by a unicorn Nurse.

Ditzy on the other hoof, galloped towards the police station. What was a quiet atmosphere soon turned into a chaotic one by the uncoordinated pegasus mare as she raced towards a storage space, regardless of the fact she wasn't supposed to be there in the incorrect uniform. Upon entering, she raced towards a cabinet that contained data from each individual Ponyville citizen from around 1673-1700, Commander Hornbill yelling at her at the commotion and mess she was causing in a confined space. Upon discovering the one thing she had been looking for, she handed it to Commander Hornbill in a panicked frenzy, stating what she found out.

"He's not of this time! He's been in an induced coma for 400 years!"


The evening moon came around at last, giving Ditzy the opportunity to put on her uniform and continue to work on what she discovered of Doctor Whooves. Upon entering the station, she found it busier than usual, to her guess maybe because of the case of Tempest Shadow and the fast-paced demands of the Canterlot Station for information. Ditzy's place, however, was with Commander Hornbill and the overworked Doctor Gloves. As complicated as it sounds, all the information was in one citizen file that was dated from 1680, the year the first Grandfather Clock was invented by the Doctor.

"Officer Hooves, here at last I see?"

"Sorry I'm late, I had to find my tie."

"Are you sure this is the correct stallion? Genetics tend to work in mysterious ways Miss Hooves."

"It's him Doctor, I know it. I heard it from his own mouth: HE invented the Grandfather Clock, that was how he got his cutie mark."

"That's impossible, the stallion would have been no older than seven, just a foal."

"Well Gloves, times are changing, and unfortunately for him time changed dramatically. How is he doing with this newfound information? Taking it well I presume?"

"Oh the contrary Commander, he's been sent into a state of shock. After breaking down into a panicked frenzy, he kept asking our staff on the year, begging for any trace of hope he hasn't missed out on the last 400 years and that it was only just, and I quote specifically, '14 years after his fall into the ice'. I had to break the news to him that wasn't the case."

"Poor Doctor, I hope he's ok..."

"He should be in a while, I'm just concerned on what this is doing to his health."

"Imagine being locked away from anypony else for 400 years..."

"That's enough of your side comments Miss Hooves, what I'm interested in is this citizen report."

All three ponies looked onto the folder that contained an image of the Doctor, this time in a cleaner state. His bowtie seemed crisp and clean, his hair was neater than it had been left in after 4 centuries, and he was oddly wearing a red fez? Each pony overlooked the information that was presented to them, the following flashing before their eyes on delicate paper:

CITIZEN REPORT:
Name of Pony: Time Turner
Age:25
Gender: Stallion
Pony Species: Earth Pony
Married?: No
Family?: Mother died 1680, Father still alive, no siblings
Additional Information: Time Turner grew up on a farm just past the outskirts of town. Moved into town as a foal and inventor of the first Grandfather Clock in 1680 at the young age of 7. Eccentric for his age and ahead of his time. Ponyville's greatest inventor, part-time astronomer and part-time Detective.

"So, his real name is Time Turner?"

"He invented the clock the same year his mother died? That's horrible!"

"He isn't married? Interesting..."

Commander Hornbill and Ditzy looked on at Doctor Gloves, his face concentrating on the page that contained various bits of information. Upon realising that his colleagues were looking at him suspiciously, he cleared his throat and blushed out of embarrassment.

"Uh, I-I don't sway that way, I do have a wife. I just thought that such a successful stallion would have found somepony to settle down with."

"It says here that he was a part-time detective. That explains why he can figure out so much about me."

"Hooves...?"

"It's nothing bad sir! I just have my secrets, that's all."

Hornbill let out a small grunt and closed the file, placing it down onto a nearby table. The Earth Pony went back to his desk and sat down, putting both his hooves together and closing his eyes. This was his way of saying he wanted time alone to think. Ditzy and Gloves exited the office and sat on some chairs to contemplate on the information. Clearing his throat, the unicorn Doctor turned to Ditzy.

"Miss Hooves, I have something to ask you."

"W-what is it?"

"Have you considered stepping into the hospital? Just for a moment, I'll let the Commander know of your whereabouts."

"I have been meaning to pay the Doctor a visit to see how he's going, but I don't think it's appropriate for the time being. Why do you want me there?"

"You put it forward simply Ditzy: I want you to talk to him."

"Me? Talk to him? Why me?"

"In times similar to this situation, often the best way to cure unstable mental health is for the patient to talk to somepony they trust or know well enough. In this case, you're quite the special mare since in all these 400 years you are quite possibly the closest thing he has to a friend or even a family member at this point."

"I dunno, I thought I made things worse for him?"

"You actually didn't do anything wrong Miss Hooves. It was the audio recorder you left behind in the room that made him click."

"Oh, that's still my fault though..."

"I'm sure he won't hold it against you forever Miss Hooves. Besides, I need to make sure he's alright, and I'm sure he'd love to have somepony to talk to."

Ditzy turned away from the medical unicorn and stared at the floor for a while, her blonde mane falling from its place behind her ear. She contemplated on whether or not to listen to the Doctor's advice, and if it was right to go and see Time Turner in his state. No question about it that he's still unsettled about everything, but all she could hope was the best. What she found so interesting about the whole ordeal was the Earth Pony's calm complexion, as if nothing phased him, as if he was shrouded in a never-ending light of positive energy. It was something Ditzy admired in a pony, in anypony in fact. Their endless supply of happiness, something Ditzy lacked ever since the night of her accident. Sighing, Ditzy flashed a content smile towards Gloves and nodded her head.

"Yep, I'll go to him. I don't think I'd leave a friend behind either."

Gloves nodded and gave the pegasus a pat on the back before turning around to enter Commander Hornbill's office. When she was sure he wasn't going to reappear for a while, Ditzy sighed before flying gently out of the room, her determination to make sure her new friend was ok repeating like a broken record in her head. It wasn't the fact that the medical stallion wanted her to talk to him that made her decide to go despite her concerns, it was the fact that he was right that convinced her. Thinking about the fact that Time Turner had been isolated from pony contact or 400 years as well as the added fact that all his friends and family were long since dead through all these years would have made things worse for him. Ditzy shook her head as she slowly made her way out of the station, looking around to see each pegasus, earth pony and unicorn that worked alongside her, her Wall Eyes expressing sadness across her face. She couldn't even imagine how lonely he must have been and how troubled he was feeling. She couldn't imagine what it was like to be suddenly placed in a new era of time, knowing all too well that the friends and family you grew up with have all passed away. With sadness spreading across her face, Ditzy exited the building, embracing the silence of the crime-riddled world around her, a world that made her stronger. A world that made her a target of its cruelty. A world she called home.


Time Turner had his back towards the door of his room, and the continuous sound of the IV rang in his ear. It was the only thing that filled the room, and he hated it. What made things worse was that he learned the truth of where he was. He was in a time that wasn't his own, and what made things worse was that not one pony seemed to care when he told them. Nah, they must have thought he was hallucinating! With an emotionless frown on his face, his ears picked up the sound of the medical door opening, not even bothering to care who it was that entered. The gentle flap of a pair of wings gave him the signal he needed that it was a pegasus, but throughout his time in hospital, he only ever met one pegasus properly. Turning over abruptly, he came face-to-face with a familiar face, a face he realised he desperately wanted to see.

"D-Derpy?"

"Hi, Doctor."

"You can't believe how relieved I am to see you again."

"I can't imagine how scary things have become. Um, Doctor?"

"...yes, Derpy?"

"Uh, is your full name Doctor Time Turner Whooves?"

"T-Time Turner? Haha, that's something I haven't heard in so long...Ha, almost forgot that name, heh."

"I-I'm sorry."

"For what? As far as it goes for you, you did nothing wrong."

"B-but I can't imagine what you're going through. I hate seeing you like this."

"What? Me suffering? Pain is an old friend my dear, it's nothing new for me."

"But-but this goes deeper than the coat. This isn't something magic nor hooves can fix Time Turner..."

"I know Derpy. Sorry, I-I-I just....I...I can't..."

"Turner?"

In a sudden flash of pure rage, Time Turner grabbed the needle that connected him to the IV, and with a flash, he ripped it out of his forehoof, blood dripping slightly onto the pure white bed and the IV making the continuous noise of one, long beep.

"I CAN'T THINK WITH THIS BLASTED THING RINGING IN MY EARS!"

The sudden burst of Turner's anger scared Ditzy, and would have no doubt attracted the attention of medical ponies in the immediate area. In order to not attract anymore potential negative attention, Ditzy dropped to the floor to unplug the IV to stop it from making any further noises. The only thing that she could hear was Time Turner, his muzzle red and his eyes puffy and dripping with tears. In all the time Ditzy knew him, he felt so calm, collected, optimistic. Now, he was pained, sad, lost, afraid. Whatever he said, it was broken up in sobs, expelling any built-up pain that swelled in his mind that very afternoon.

"I-I'm sorry Ditzy, I'm s-so sorry. I-I can't help it...I-I've lost everything! My life, my family....my friends....Ditzy, they're all gone....they're all dead! And I'm s-still here....I shouldn't be here! I....I..."

Ditzy couldn't do anything to stop herself from crying alongside him, her sobs joining his own, alerting the stallion to her presence that was still there. The fact that she saw someone so lost so broken made her remember how she was like after that day, and the added fact that she was the closest thing he could call a friend in this time made her cry. She definitely wanted nothing more than to support him, tell him everything was going to be ok. She didn't know if it would work on a pony that missed the last 400 years of his life and somehow cheated death.

"D-Der-Ditzy? A-are you..?"

"I-it's ok Turner...I'm fine... I guess-"

Ditzy couldn't finish what she was saying because of two things. The first was her collective sobbing that prevented her from speaking. The second thing? It was Time Turner, pulling her into a hug. It was a needing hug, a wanting hug. A hug that a foal would yearn for in times of trouble. For the Earth Pony she befriended, it was a hug of safety, a hug of security, a hug that was meant to acknowledge the fact he wasn't alone, that he still had one pony to call a friend, a sister even if he had to. It was comforting. It was a hug meant to bring relief to the distraught pegasus if it sacrificed comfort on his end.

"D-Ditzy, don't cry. The sight doesn't suit your eyes my dear."

"T-Turner?"

"Hmm?"

"It's Derpy, actually. Y-you can call me Derpy."

Unbeknownst to the duo in their heap of sobs, at least 3 medical ponies entered the room earlier from the noise caused by the IV and the stallion in the bed. What they saw melted their hearts in pity and sorrow. Among them was Doctor Gloves, and beside him Commander Hornbill. They knew it was going to take a long time for things to settle down, but for now the sound of Ditzy and Time Turner sobbing into one another's shoulders filled the room, alongside the additional sobs of Nurses that couldn't contain their tears any longer.


The sound of birds filled the hospital room Time Turner had been in. For the first time in what felt like forever, he woke up with the full knowledge he knew he was so heavily denied. The sound of distant chatter confirmed his suspicions that the Nurses that heard him the previous night had since moved on from his little episode, causing him to frown. With his strength returning to him slowly, Turner was able to sit up once again, and observed his surroundings, immediately spotting a pegasus mare sleeping in a chair opposite the bed to his left. She looked distressed, but otherwise peaceful. Turner sighed, and looked at Ditzy with as much hope as he could muster. To the stallion, she was more than his rescuer. She was like a friend to him. Chuckling softly to himself, he brushed his bangs away from his face and felt tears run down his cheeks once more.

'Friend, huh? That's something I've been longing to hear. Something I may have subconsciously needed for 400 years of my life...'

After a while allowing himself to quietly cry, he cleared his nose and looked towards Ditzy before nodding to himself and closing his eyes to think. Evidently, since he now knew that he was not of this time, he would have to do something about it. He wasn't the colt that would let things take control of his mental state. No, he was going to do something about it. It didn't take long for Time Turner to learn much about this time and its predicament, all the information he needed came from his window and the constant crashes of what sounded like home invasions and robberies echoing into his room during his time alone. He figured that with his mind sharp as ever, he could try to calm things down in town. Maybe he could become a policecolt like how Ditzy was a policemare herself.

Maybe even a detective? Only time will tell after his strength returns to him. For now, sleep sounded good to him, so that's what he did. With certainty on his newly set future, he drifted off to sleep once again, this time with the knowledge that this wasn't a dream as he had been hoping for and with the content thought that he was going to make the most of his predicament at all costs.


The room was dark and cold, the only sounds echoing through were the silent sobs of ponies in individual cells, chained to the ground, only able to wander as much as the chains would allow for. Their sobs were muffled by the cloths and tape covering their muzzles to prevent them from making too much noise, if anything the excess amount of torture bearing down on them to the point of silent submission. In one specific cell, a mare with a unicorn horn and pegasus wings sat with tears rolling down her red-stained cheeks, the mare's blood staining her once lively purple coat and her purple, pink and blue mane tattered and messy. The most the mare could do was try to scream for help, but whenever a sound escaped from her lips, she would obtain a new set of scars across her back, wings, face or hooves. Looking up to her aggressor, the shadow of a mare filled the room, but the mare only knew too well that there was no shadow in front of her, but a mare around her size that loomed over with power and control over her and many others.

"Aw, look at you, what good did friendship do for you, Princess Twilight Sparkle?"

"You-you won't get away with this. My trust on friendship will never fail me, or anypony else."

"You know, you should really consider that thought again Princess. After all, it was friendship that got you into my hoof, like a bug left to my whim."

"If-if you harm anypony else..."

"Oh, I don't want anypony else..."

The shadow stepped forward, her appearance clearer for the Alicorn once more. Before her stood a maroon-coloured mare with a red mohawk mane, blue eyes and a scar over one of her eyes. She wore nothing but black clothes stained with fresh and dried blood. On the top of her forehead, sparks of unconfined magic that sputtered beyond the cracks of where her horn used to be.

"...I want magic. I crave it."

The sparks from her missing horn let out buzzing sounds as it granted the whip in her hoof to run electricity through it's entire being. The only thing Twilight could do was sit to her whims, to succumb to the pain, the unicorn's torture and be subject to pain and suffering. Only until somepony came to her rescue. Anypony at all.

Author's Note:

Unfortunately, this story might be going wayward with story pacing, but hopefully this will set the motion forward for the story. Evidently I have plans on adding more detective elements to it rather than cliche drama elements, and I do apologise if the story seems unappealing due to my lack of professional storytelling. Hopefully the pacing is good enough :)

From this point on until otherwise specified, I'll now refer to Doctor Whooves as 'Time Turner' and 'Ditzy' will now have 'Derpy' as a name until the end of time. Don't worry, the Doctor will have his former title back later, so don't be too disappointed if he's being referred to as Time Turner now.

Thanks for reading!

Have a wonderful day mares, colts and foals.
Trotting away~

SweetCookie