• Published 11th Jun 2018
  • 486 Views, 2 Comments

Ms. Glimmer, Guidance Counselor - Silver Shadows



Students seek more advice from Starlight, making her more comfortable in the school as she helps give advice to the students.

  • ...
 2
 486

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

There will be many ponies I made up in this story, probably one or two per chapter, more of less. If you don't like those type of stories, then you will not like this one either.

Also, chapters will be infrequent and I may end it at anytime (if I run out of ideas or something happens).

Starlight was bored. She took the books off her shelf once more, sitting behind her desk with her hot cocoa. It's been a couple months since her last visit, in which she actually had to get out of the office to do things. Still, sitting in a office with a once in a while special occasion didn't serve any purpose for herself to belong in the school.

A knock on the door startled her and she quickly used her horn to put the books in a random order. The door opened just as she teleported back to her chair behind the desk. A pony that she didn't know came in. She was an Earth pony with pink fur and blue pigtails. She didn't have her cutie mark yet.

Starlight gave her a big smile, "Hi! Welcome to my office. How may I help you? Do you need a security blanket? Hot cocoa? A pillow?" As she said each of those items, she teleported the items onto her desk.

The pony whispered, "Umm... No. I came because I want some advice."

Starlight chuckled nervously, "I'm listening."

"My name is Sand Wind. Most ponies call me Sandy. The thing is that I am failing a couple of the subjects."

Starlight leaned closer, "Which subjects and why?"

Sandy muttered, "I'm failing Loyalty and Kindness. I don't know why. I'm scared of all the creatures. They have fangs and I don't like being close to living things that I don't understand. Ms. Dash's class is a little brash for me. I don't like playing sports. I'm not good at kicking anything and I run out of the way instead of really playing."

Starlight nodded, "I see..." She thought of the problem for some time, wondering if the student wasn't trying hard enough or if the teaching methods, which were abstract from normal teachers, weren't working for Sandy. After all, Starlight remembered reading how different Rainbow had to learn things in order to memorize it. Sandy's shy nature probably made it hard for her to succeed in Loyalty but Fluttershy taught much different than Rainbow did. Starlight couldn't imagine Fluttershy teaching harshly anymore than Rainbow teaching with a nice and soft voice.

The guidance counselor said, "Sandy, after school today, can you come to my office? I will call Rain-Ms. Dash and Ms. Fluttershy over and see if they could provide any help. Which class should you be in right now?"

Sandy answered, "Headmare Sparkle's class about the element of generosity." Starlight levitated a feather with ink and some paper over, scribbling a late pass for Sandy.

Starlight gave the note to Sandy, "Here you go. Don't forget to stop by after school." Sandy brightened up immediately, taking the note and leaving the office, leaving Starlight in the office alone once more. Starlight paced around her office, hoping that her hoofsteps weren't pounding into the room below. She decided that she should speak with both Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy about the situation prior to when the school ends. Besides, there was a class schedule and she was fairly certain that Rainbow was off.

The unicorn trotted down the halls to Rainbow's classroom (it looked more like a gym though) and saw her putting the hoops and the baskets for buckball back into position.

Starlight called out, "Rainbow? There's an issue concerning a student."

Rainbow looked down and flew in front of Starlight, "What?"

"Sand Wind says that she is currently failing your course because your course requires a lot of... movement."

"Sand Wind... Sand Wind... Hmm... Doesn't ring a bell. Oh wait! I think I remember her. Pink fur? Always wears those pigtails?"

Starlight nodded in reply, "Yes, that's her."

Rainbow said, "Yeah, so? I'm gonna build her determination up."

"Is there a better way to teach loyalty and for you to put separate activities for those who want it and for them to choose?"

"I would but buckball becomes wild and I need to focus all of my awesomeness to that game."

"Maybe put buckball once in a while and have the other students cheer their teammates on or something? Sand doesn't like to move and kick the ball."

Rainbow sighed, "But the other ponies want to play buckball. Do you want me to remove that from them? I don't! I love teaching that way and it's my style, something we collaborated on for Twilight's egghead book of rules."

"Is she the only student that is unable to reach your goals?"

"Dunno. I don't think so. Around one or two per class?"

"Rainbow, I want you to stay after school for a bit in my office. I want you to talk to Sandy about her grades. She can not flunk out and it is your responsibilty to make sure that she passes. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think that there's another's class coming and I'm hoping to talk to Fluttershy before everything is over." Starlight teleported out with a blue flash, into Fluttershy's class. Fluttershy was herding the animals away but once the animals saw Starlight coming out of nowhere, they scattered.

Fluttershy scolded gently, “Starlight! You’re going to scare them.”

Starlight chuckled nervously, “Sorry Fluttershy. I have something important to talk about though, if you have time that is. You must be busy preparing for all of your classes.”

Fluttershy said gently to the animals, "It's okay. Line up in front of me now and enjoy yourselves in the garden." She opened the door to the garden with her hoof and the animals ran out the door quickly.

Fluttershy turned to Starlight, "What do you want to talk about? If you don't mind me asking..."

Starlight asked, "Sand Wind says that she is currently failing your class."

"Oh my. Somepony's failing? I don't remember anypony failing my class. I know that Sand Wind isn't doing as well but I would never fail anycreature!"

"She's afraid of your animals."

"But they're so cute and adorables. They would never hurt anycreature!"

"It's just a fear. I'm sure that you know," Starlight pointed out, "After all, you're afraid of a lot of things, no offense."

"Umm... I don't know what to do about that..." Starlight thought for a moment, looking at the beautiful garden outside before looking back inside the classroom.

She said, "I've got an idea. Fluttershy, I want you to meet me in my office after school."

"Umm... Okay," Fluttershy replied. Starlight lit up her horn before remembering how frightened the animals were when she teleported. Instead, Starlight galloped through the door and slammed it shut. She needed to talk to Twilight. There was a large crowd of students outside as they went to their next classrooms.

She heard Yona, one of the Yaks, saying, "Yak no like dress. Yona think that dress can be easily tripped."

An orange dragon, Smolder if she remembered correctly, replied, "It's just a dress. It's not like you're going to wear it anyways. You asked to try it on. Not our problem." Starlight zigzagged through the crowd before finally reaching Twilight's classroom. She peeked in, seeing Twilight in the classroom, alone, dusting the board. Spike was flying around the classroom, obviously proud of his new wings. Starlight knocked on the door and Twilight opened the door using her magic.

Starlight said, "Twilight, I'm thinking about a change for the school..."


After school...

Starlight waited in her office, sitting her hot cocoa. Her eyes glanced at the clock, obviously impatient for the other ponies to come.

Sand Wind was the first to arrive, "Umm... Ms. Glimmer? You asked for me to come after?"

"Yes. The others should be arriving soon." As if on cue, Rainbow, Fluttershy, and Twilight all trotted in.

Twilight said, "I have spoke to all of the other teachers about an idea proposed from Star-Ms. Glimmer."

Fluttershy smiled at Sand gently, "I'm sorry that my creatures scared you."

"Ms. Glimmer thought that there should be separate classes based on a student's interest. For example, if you don't want to play buckball, you're schedule can change so you're in a different class with the same teacher. For example, instead of buckball with Ms. Dash, you can play a two-legged race with Ms. Dash."

Sand smiled, "Really? I don't want to be a bother though."

"I'm sure that other creatures would like this as well. I will plan a schedule with the teachers immediately. It should be done tomorrow. Can you stop by my office to pick up a new schedule? If you know any other creatures who could benefit from this too, please let me know." Twilight and the others trotted out of my office, closing the door behind me. Only Sand remained behind.

Sand looked at Starlight and to her surprise, hugged her, "Thank you. Thank you so much."

Starlight smiled, "It's my job. Remember, you can always come here for any troubles."

"I will. You have no idea how much you are going to make my life so much easier around here."

"As I said, I'm here to help." Sand backed away from the hug, waving a goodbye and she trotted out of the door. Starlight sat back and smiled. Maybe a guidance counselor could be helpful to the school after all.