• Published 7th Jun 2018
  • 804 Views, 15 Comments

What Goes Up - faoiltiama



It's hard watching your idol fall. Scootaloo just hopes it won't come to that.

  • ...
0
 15
 804

Chapter One

She saw the letter as soon as she opened the door.

Stepping into her small but comfortable home, Scootaloo closed the door behind herself before scooping up the pile of mail scattered across the entryway. She groaned as her sore muscles made their displeasure known. Why the new mail pony insisted on launching the mail through the mail slot like one of Pinkie’s confetti cannons, Scootaloo had no idea. Tucking the modest stack of envelopes under a wing, the orange mare crossed the living room to her favorite chair, grabbing a letter opener from the mantle as she passed. Settling into the worn navy cushions with a happy sigh, she perused the stack of mail. The obvious bills and junk she set aside, her attention on the expected cream envelope with the Wonderbolt seal embossed on the flap. She slit it open, letting the slim tickets flutter to the seat beside her.

Ms. Scootaloo,

You are hereby cordially invited to attend the Wonderbolts’ upcoming performance at Whittaker Stadium in Baltimare…

Scootaloo skimmed the text with an amused smile. No matter how many times she told Rainbow Dash that she didn’t really need an official invitation to every single show, they still showed up like clockwork a week before every event. Since she’d been going to every single one for years, wouldn’t it be easier to just leave the tickets in her name at the box office? Or she could just hoof them over any of the times they saw each other during a typical week. But Rainbow was stubborn in this, as with most things. Secretly, Scootaloo thought Rainbow just never got tired of being reminded she was a genuine Wonderbolt. So, the younger pegasus never pushed too hard.

Setting the letter aside, she fished the tickets out from under herself. Two, as always. She rolled her eyes. Usually Apple Bloom or Sweetie Belle would join her. But this time, they were both too busy. Her eyes wandered unwillingly to the massive stack of paperwork on her desk in the corner. Technically, she was also too busy. Running Camp Cutie Mark together was wonderful, truly, but filly Scootaloo could never have imagined how much work it would be when the friends finally made it an official, year-round camp all those years ago. And now, with the quarter almost over, there was more work than ever.

When she’d approached the other two to schedule the few days off she’d need, there had been more grumbling than usual. They knew how much supporting Rainbow meant to her, though, so they left it at grumbling. They were used to her frequent trips during Wonderbolt season, however inconvenient. This time, though they could spare one Leader, two was out of the question. The rest of her friends had excuses as well. Ah, well. She’d just have to endure Rainbow’s mild disappointment, and not-so-subtle suggestions that she “just bring her special somepony next time.” She meant well.

She briefly considered taking a look at the bills she’d set aside, but decided against it. Instead, she relaxed back to take in the view out the window, letting the day’s stress melt away. Looking out over the pink- and gold-stained clouds, she couldn’t help but smile. Her dream may not be as flashy as Rainbow’s, but she was living it nonetheless. In a few days she’d get to one of her favorite parts: cheering on the pony who’d done the same for her since she was a filly.


To Scootaloo’s eyes, the stadium almost glowed in the afternoon sunlight. The weather ponies had done a perfect job. Not a single cloud marred the blue dome of the sky, the only clouds present being specially prepared for the Wonderbolts and nestled strategically through the arena. Ponies crowded the stands, filling the air with excitement. It was such a familiar setting, Scootaloo felt as home in this crowd as she did in Ponyville.

The show itself was amazing as always. No matter how many times she saw them fly, the Wonderbolts never lost that, well, wonder. Even when Rainbow Dash let someone else fly the lead, like today, she stole the show. The pegasi pulled out their best tricks, the crowd egging on each feat of speed and precision. By the time they swooped to the ground, landing from the last, complicated maneuver, she was on her hooves, stomping with everypony else. Only slightly disappointed that it was over, she sighed and rose to her hooves, joining the crowd in the tedious shuffle back to the gate.

“Hey kid. Enjoy the show?”

Scootaloo spun around, already grinning, to see her friend, sweaty and still in uniform. Intent on navigating the crowd, she hadn’t even noticed Rainbow Dash landing behind her. “Of course I did! You were spectacular!” She wrapped her hooves around the older pegasus, who grunted in surprise before hugging her back.

“Wow, that good?” Rainbow Dash teased, ruffling Scootaloo’s long, choppy mane. The two separated, both grinning. A small bubble had formed around the two, everypony staring and daring each other to approach the famous mare.

“Of course! Adding that teardrop turn on the end of the formation split- that was your idea, wasn’t it?” Scootaloo gushed, “Genius! And after the third dive, I thought for sure the others weren’t gonna pull up in time. Not you, of course-”

Rainbow Dash let the orange mare go on for a bit, an indulgent and grateful smile across her muzzle. Eventually, she put a hoof on her friend’s shoulder, cutting her off.

“I get it, Scoots. I’m awesome. How about we discuss the show somewhere less crowded? The cafe, two blocks over?” Once Scootaloo nodded her acquiescence, Rainbow added, “Gotta get out of here before I get mobbed by the rest of my fans.”

With a glance at the surrounding ponies in Wonderbolt fan merchandise, the cyan mare took off with a few flaps of her wings, quickly disappearing as she swooped across the stadium. Scootaloo turned to resume her walk, only to nearly smack into a pale blue stallion.

“Oh, sorry-” she blinked, recognizing the Wonderbolt’s trainer. “Captain Storm Trail! I didn’t expect to see you out in the crowd right after a show.”

He gave a small smile, pushing his gray-blue forelock back from his eyes. “Don’t worry about it. I snuck up on you, after all. I was hoping to have a word with you, actually.”

“O- of course. What did you want to talk about?” Scootaloo smiled, despite her confusion. Sure, she’d seen the Captain around through the years, had a few brief conversations, but he’d never really sought her out. Now he turned and walked away, gesturing for her to follow.

“I can hardly hear myself think out here,” he explained lightly when she caught up, though his smile seemed a bit forced.

The pair slowly wove back through the crowd, Storm leading her towards the field.The more they walked, the more she began to worry. He wasn’t a terribly social fellow, keeping most things strictly business. By the time they reached the seats, they were nearly empty, everypony pushing for the exits. He led her right down to the edge of the low wall around the field itself, taking one of the frontmost seats and gesturing for her to do the same.

“What is this about, Captain Storm? Is it Rainbow Dash?” She blurted as soon as her flanks hit the seat. “I saw her just a minute ago. Nothing could have happened that fast.”

Storm winced, shaking his head firmly. “Nothing happened. That’s not-” he sighed, taking in the empty stadium around them as he gathered his thoughts. “I just wanted to talk to you about her. Rainbow Dash.”

Scootaloo visibly relaxed, leaning back in her seat. “Oh, that’s all? What about her?”

Storm smiled slightly, then sobered. “Scootaloo, I’ve never been good at dancing around the point, so I’m not going to try now.” He met her eyes before he spoke next. “I’m worried about Rainbow Dash.”

“Worried?” Scootaloo scoffed, “Why? Rainbow is the best.”

“Rainbow is a spectacular flier, for her age,” he conceded, only to be interrupted by a laugh.

“Ha! For her age? She’s a spectacular flier, period. No need to qualify it, Captain.” Scootaloo corrected, smug.

“I know you look up to her,” the stallion started with a tight smile, “But it’s okay to admit when something is wrong.”

“But nothing is wrong,” came the glib answer.

“Scootaloo! Listen to me,” he all but snapped, sighing as the smile faded from her face. “I am worried about Rainbow Dash.” he repeated, this time watching it actually sink in.

Scootaloo looked at her hooves, tried to recapture her earlier nonchalance, and failed.

“Why are you worried?” she asked softly.

Now it was Storm’s turn to look away. “She’s been slipping. It’s small things, but it only takes one small thing, the wrong small thing, at the wrong time, to end a flier’s career.” Looking over at Scootaloo, he cleared his throat, then asked, “Do you know how Wonderbolts leave the team?”

Startled, she looked up, then shook her head.

“There’s not really a hard rule in place,” he explained, “mostly because we haven’t needed one. Most pegasi know when their time with us is done, and they retire. If something serious happens, a Wonderbolt can be permanently kicked out, which is rare. The only other way they leave?” he sighed, looking up into the cloudless sky. “An accident. A trick gone wrong. Then, their flying days are over.”

The pause grew, Scootaloo trying not to think about what he was telling her. Or implying, at least. She shook her head, suddenly annoyed. “I saw her fly today! She was perfect. You’re trying to say she’s lost her edge? She’s as good a flier as she ever was!” She glared at the blue pegasus, daring him to disagree.

“She’s good,” he admitted, “But not as good as she was. That’s natural.” Before Scootaloo could object, he raised a hoof. “Did you know she’s the oldest Wonderbolt to ever perform in our ranks? That’s admirable. But… There’s a reason ponies retire long before her age. What the Wonderbolts do, it’s a young pony’s job. It’s hard on the body.”

“She’s not that old,” Scootaloo muttered.

“By general pony standards, no,” he said gently. “By Wonderbolt standards? Last year she broke the record for oldest performing Wonderbolt. The typical Wonderbolt retires long before hitting middle aged. But if it was just her age, I wouldn’t be here. An older mare in perfect physical and mental shape could still have a place on the team, just a less strenuous one.”

Scootaloo absorbed his words with a frown, then made the connection. “You said she’s slipping. What in Equestria does that mean?”

“Like I said, it’s been little things. A sloppy turn here, a slow takeoff there, forgetting part of a routine,” Storm sighed, shaking his head, “It’s not what I see that worries me, it’s what I don’t.” At the look of confusion, he continued, “You know how proud Rainbow Dash can be. She’d never admit something is wrong, so if I have noticed things, how much more aren’t I seeing? Hanging back at the track after practice, telling us she’ll meet us here or there, rather than going with us… Just a few weeks ago after practice, the team was going to the mess hall and she said she’d meet them there. When she didn’t show up right away, I went back to check on her.”

“I found her in the locker room, crouched on a bench, shaking.” he said softly.

“Was she hurt?” Scootaloo whispered, not wanting to hear the answer.

“No, that’s just it. She was trying to catch her breath. Practice had taken so much out of her that she needed that time, I think, just to be able to walk into the mess hall looking like it hadn’t taken all she had. Then she saw me, of course, and tried to play it off as stretching,” Storm grimaced at the memory.

“So, what, you didn’t talk to her?” the mare asked incredulously. “None of you have?”

“Of course I have. But anything from me, well, she won’t admit anything is wrong. She shuts down any inquiries I might make as a friend, which leaves me only the role of trainer. I’d have to ground her, Scootaloo, and we’re not at that point yet.” He tried to offer a smile, but Scootaloo scowled back.

“What about the rest of the team?” she snapped, pushing herself off the seat. She took a small step towards him, then turned and walked the few steps to the low wall around the field instead. “Have none of them even tried to find out what’s wrong?”

“Of course they have. Just last week, Skyflash and Grey Wing tried to ask her what was going on. They didn’t get far before Rainbow started getting defensive. In the end, your friend stormed off, and they considered it a failed attempt. The next day, Rainbow Dash tried to do a sonic rainboom.”

Several moments passed in silence, Scootaloo staring out over the field. A soft breeze ruffled her mane as a few pegasi passed overhead, making their way towards the clouds used in the show. Even when they started pushing them away, there was no sound from behind her. So she turned, and saw Storm Trail was watching her sadly.

“Tried?” she prodded.

“She almost crashed into the ground at full speed.”

The orange pegasus put a hoof to her mouth, horrified. Then she lowered it, turning back to look out over the wall. “What are you going to do?” Her voice came out small and helpless in the enormity of the abandoned arena.

“This is what I’m doing. She won’t listen to her teammates, and if I step in, it’s official.” She heard a soft grunt, then hoofsteps behind her. In her peripheral vision she saw him stop at her side, putting a hoof on her shoulder and waiting until she met his gaze. “You might be the only pony she’ll listen to. So please, talk to her.”

Scootaloo choked out a small laugh, “Oh, that’s it? Just talk to her. You want me to tell her she’s too old to be a Wonderbolt, tell her her dream is over?” She shook her head, blinking away the moisture gathering in her eyes.

“No, I don’t. That’s my job, if it comes to it,” he assured her, “I just want you to talk to her. Find out what’s going on. I can work with her, but only if I know what’s wrong.”

“What about the other Elements?” she asked finally, “Can’t they talk to her?” Or anypony but me, she added to herself.

“They could. But, seeing how she responded to two concerned teammates…” He gave a small shrug, “You can imagine how that would go. I don’t want to corner her like that. I want to give her the chance to be honest, admit what’s going on. I think the only way she will is if it’s one pony, alone, and only somepony she really, truly trusts.” The last he said with a pointed, but apologetic smile in her direction.

After a long moment, Scootaloo nodded.

“Thank you,” he said softly, “I want what’s best for Rainbow Dash, otherwise I wouldn’t even ask.”

Scootaloo turned to him, offering a hoof. He shook it once, firmly, with a sad smile.

“Thank you for telling me,” Scootaloo said, meaning it.

“I wish you the best,” was all he said back, turning to walk away along the edge of the field.

Scootaloo stood for a moment, alone, staring at her hooves. Then she took a deep breath, clenched her teeth, and turned away. As she did, she discovered that she was the only pony left.

A stadium just doesn’t feel right empty, she thought, gazing across the vacant stands as she made her way back up. She missed the crowds, the bustle and shove of it all.

What the Captain had told her… She didn’t want to think about that. So Rainbow Dash was getting older. It happens to everypony. It’s more than that and you know it. Scootaloo scowled, trying to shake away the doubt. But all those little things… She’d been noticing them too, hadn’t she?

Hadn’t Rainbow Dash once been eager to take on any chance to show off? When did that change? When did she start demuring because the weather was too rough, she needed to save her energy for the next show, she had something else to do?

A shadow fell across the pegasus and she glanced up, surprised to see that she’d already reached the archway leading out of the stadium. Outside, the city went about its business beneath a beautiful, sunny sky.

She was reading too much into it. Of course Rainbow was taking things slower. Horsefeathers, Scootaloo took things slower than when she was a filly! There was nothing wrong with that. Getting older means you tire out easier.

Glaring at the pavement, Scootaloo nearly ran into a group of young mares, who scattered at the last moment with indignant huffs. “Watch where you’re going!” the violet unicorn snapped as they regrouped, glaring over their shoulders.

“Sorry,” Scootaloo muttered, but she forced herself to focus back on her surroundings. There was the coffee shop, just past the next corner. The dark blue awning, the quaint white iron tables outside… Her hoofsteps slowed.

What was she going to say? She couldn’t just accuse Rainbow Dash outright. Was she accusing her? All she had was Storm Trail’s worries.

And mine, she admitted. If nothing is wrong, then nothing is wrong. And I can have a word with the Captain about worrying me for no reason. But if there really is more to this than just normal ageing… I’ll be here for her.

By the time she crossed the street, Scootaloo could already see the telltale rainbow mane of her friend through the glass. Rainbow was right at the window, facing towards her, but her focus was on the mug in her hooves. Her mane hung in front of her face, hiding her eyes.

Suddenly, Scootaloo was afraid. This was Rainbow Dash, her hero. There can’t be something wrong with her. There just can’t. She froze, wondering what kind of excuse she could give later if she just didn’t show up. Then the Wonderbolt raised her head, and her eyes lit up. She waved cheerily through the window, a wide grin on her face. Scootaloo raised a hoof in answer, her own grin shaky as she moved to the door.

She took a deep breath, and opened it.