• ...
13
 38
 1,769

Chapter One

Her lavender mane wafted in the gently breeze; belaying the raging tempest inside the young filly standing on the gently slope. Violet eyes gazed at the distant horizon hoping to find a glimmer of salvation. An eagle on an apple tree limb above sat staring silent as a sentry. It's dark form no more solid then the fillys fractured heart. She paid it no heed, it's presence no more significant than an ant in a colony. She had made her choice and only the Grim reaper himself could stop her.

Several hours earlier....

"Please, Scoots? It would means so much to us." Rainbow Dash implored. Scootaloo merely shifted farther over in her chair. She hadn't touched her tea since they had arrived at the coffee shop and it had grown cold in it's disuse. She refused to even look at dash and had turned her chair away from her to avoid accidently even do so.

"FINE!" She screamed in frustration. "Just leave me alone..."

"Okay, squirt. Thank you."

The rainbow maned equine rose to leave and was stopped when Scootaloo suddenly whipped around, tears in her eyes, and smacked her.

"It's not fair. How could you even ask? Do you honestly hate me that much?" She whispered through grated teeth at the cyan pony. "Why her? Am I not good enough?"

Rainbow Dash stared at her attacker, but no answer came. No solace. No grand soliloquy. She just sat there in dumbfounded silence.

"You ask me to be your best mare at your wedding and you expect me to be "okay" with that?" Scootaloo screamed, her miniature titian orange body shacking with rage. "Did you ever stop to think that maybe I love you....."

With that she turned and marched off toward Sweet Apple Acres. She paused mid-trot and looked back at the petrified and broken Pegasus. She smiled, a sad lonely fracture in her face, and whispered dryly, "Goodbye Rainbow Dash...you'll miss me, but I sure as buck won't be missing you."

Tears welled up in her eyes and she turned towards the farm. She vaguely remebered hearing her named called, but, she was gone before anyone could catch her. She sat and watched the Crusader clubhouse from her vantage point. She watched her friends come and go searching for her as the day dragged on. She knew what she had to do; She had known ever since finding out about Twilight and Rainbows Dashs engagement.

When night fell she crept into the clubhouse and grabbed her meager belongings. She left a sealed note on the table and pulled out her blanket. She lay down for the evening and watched the weather outside as it seemed to mimic her emotions.

~*~*~The Next Day~*~*~

Spike walked home after spending all day out with everyone searching for Scootaloo. He felt bad for giving up, but he hoped that maybe she would grow homesick and come back. When he arrived back to the library twilight was nowhere to be found. All the lights where off and even Owllicious was gone. He had the whole house to himself.

"Sweet...Ice cream time!!!!" He crowed in glee. He then felt instant guilt for his selfishness."Scootaloo's probably out there alone and cold."

He sat down on his bed and stared out towards Sweet Apple Acres. He sighed as he watched the storm rage. Just as he was about to delve into his bounty of sugar a glimmer from the club houses caught his eye. He rose from his seat and squinted into the gloom trying to decipher the origins of the glint.

"Only one filly I know would be out there this late." He mumbled to himself. He set down his ice cream and grabbed his notepad quickly scribbling a note for Twilight. Then, with new hope, he dashed out the door and into the night.

~*~*~*~*~*~

He was not the only being to notice the midnight visitor. Rainbow Dash, high in the clouds, dove towards the clubhouse at high speed.

"Please be her." She pleaded to no one."I have to apologize before it's to late."

The storm raged behind her as she flew. It's bolts and bellows cascading through the midnight air. Every flash illuminated her face, but only the storm saw the sorrow in her eyes. She rocketed towards the ground and landed silently on the porch. She rose her hoof to knock, but was stopped short by a noise from inside. She placed her ear close to the keyhole and listened in confusion.

"Mommy....I'm sorry..." Came a whisper from behind the door. Rainbow leaned back and cocked her head in confusion. That was scootaloo's voice, but who was she talking to? She wondered. She then rose up on her hind legs and hopped catlike onto the roof. She peered through a hole in the roof down at a sobbing Scootaloo. She had curled up around a picture frame of a mare. Scootaloo shifted in her sadness and revealed the photos hidden occupant to be Rainbow herself.

"Oh My Celest----" She gasped into her hoof. She had known the filly idolized her, but to be seen as a mother. She fidgeted at the knowledge and wondered how long she had been a surrogate to the orange filly.

"That's why she was so angry.... She was afraid of losing me. Afraid of losing her mother....again." Rainbow Dash murmured in realization.

Suddenly the door to the club house flew open and in walked a very happy baby dragon. He saw Scootaloo on the floor and rushed over to her. Just before he reached her she reared up and pushed spike onto the ground with her hooves. He gasped in suprise as his skull rechochated of the floor.

"Scootaloo, whats wrong?" He moaned in pain. " It's me spike...your best-friend."

She just glared at him from tear.

"I'm sorry for not telling you sooner. Twilight made me swear I wouldn't."

This didn't appear to help, because she then pushed harder against his chest. He squealed in pain as she reached a cresendo in her force. Then she released after tears began to well up in his eyes.

"Now you know a fraction of the pain I suffer." She whispered. "Now you know what it's like to have noting left. To lose someone, even when they stand right next to you. To love and never be loved in return."

He starred at her for a time saying nothing. She slowly walked back over to her portrait and crushed it with her hoof. Rainbow gasped and averted her eyes. She shivered in grief and agony.


"I'm not saying it your fault." She smiled. Blood oozed from her hoof and foreleg. "Twilight will do something I could never do....make Rainbow Dash happy."

"I'm a freak and an orphan. I'm all alone and I can't seem to escape this hell!" She screamed. rounding on the small drake." I can't be saved"

"HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" She cackled madly into the raging storm outside. " I have no soul left to love. Who could love a flightless pegasus. I'm so sorry I couldn't be perfect like Twilight or Rainbow Dash"

Rainbow gasped in horror as Scootaloo grabbed a shrad of the glass and held it against her wing. The rainbow pony jumped from the roof and rushed to stop the filly, but was stopped by a shout.

"Do it!" Spike screamed in rage." Prove them right!"

He rose to his feet and walked towards Scootaloo. His shoulders shook with ever step, tears flowing like rivers down his cheeks.

"Do you know what it's like to be alone even with friends. walk a mile in my shoes and maybe you might now what it's like." He came to rest before the enraged filly."In this life we need someone to love and believe in. To banish our fears and to lean on."

He knelt down and placed his hand on her shoulder gently. She lifted her gaze and looked into his tear stained face. He smiled sweetly at her and continued his speech.

"You are beautiful Scootaloo, but noponies perfect. We all have our flaws and strengths. Rainbow Dash and Twilight, have their flaws. It's their love for each other and their friendship that makes them strong. So please, let me be your friend... let me help you."

He reached for the shard and she released it. Scootaloo, then, shifted her gaze away in shame.

"When this began, I was so scared and confused. I'm so happy I'm not the only one with these feelings." She smiled warmly. "I want to feel like I'm something worth loving, but mostly I just don't want to be alone any more."

Her shoulders sagged and she began to cry again. Spike gently tilted her chin and gazed into her teary eyes.

"Okay Scoots. You'll never be alone again"

He then kissed her. She blinked and blushed a crimson. After a while she leaned into the kiss; closing her eyes. Finally, he broke the kiss and stared into her eyes longingly.

" I love you." He whispered, his face red." I promise to never leave you. I'm terrified that i may lose you and I don't know if I can take that."

"Okay I'll stay...for you."


~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Rainbow dash sat on the porch for a time and listened until she heard the two snoring from inside. She sighed and rose into the air. She couldn't tell if she was numb from the rain or shock. She knew she needed to tell Twilight where Spike was and that the two were okay. Her heart ached at the pain and grief she had caused.

"Tomorrow I will tell her how sorry I truly am." She promised herself.