• Published 28th May 2018
  • 1,185 Views, 71 Comments

Sleepless Nights And Speechless Angels - thelegendarytoothpaste

  • ...
1
 71
 1,185

Enter The Dragon

Spike was always a curious sort.

When they lived in Canterlot Castle and Twilight was taking lessons with Princess Celestia, he had a tendency to wander off, even when he was still in diapers. A story he loved to hear involved his finding his way to the highest point of the castle at the age of two, and he sure as the sun had no wings to get him there.

It was a wonder Twilight did not have any gray hairs yet. She put up with him every day of the year for no other reason than she loved him.

He felt himself frown a bit. He knew knew knew that Twilight was, for all intents and purposes, his mother. It was never disputed and Twilight herself had referred to him as her boy from time to time. Even so, he had never referred to her as Mom. Twilight was Twilight to him. Twilight was Twilight and Twilight was Mom because Mom was Twilight and Twilight.

He knew that he loved her and he would never deny that she had done a fine job of raising him to be the drake he was today. It was thanks to her after all that he was such a curious bundle of trouble. No matter what he did, she never stopped loving him, and she was only all the more proud of him when he stepped outside of his comfort zone.

Like now, for instance. Under one arm was the game of Marenopoly (Princess Celestia LOVED Marenopoly). He put a hand on the doorknob.

"Uhh, Mr. Alien? You in there? Ponyfeathers, what's your name again?"

There was no response.

"Ehh, it wasn't Liza. You're a boy, right?"

He gave the knob a turn.

"It certainly wasn't Henry."

The door opened for him and he walked in.

"For some reason I'm tempted to call you Zelda. Ah well, how are you doing?"

He did not receive a response. Not-Liza, Certainly-Not-Henry, Zelda was sitting as still as a statue in a chair at the desk he was afforded. Seriously, what in Tartarus was his name again?

"Dude, Twilight already have you doing homework or something? Harsh."

There was no response. Twilight had warned him that Not-Liza didn't exactly do a whole ton of speaking.

Spike was all the more confused when he saw the alien just sitting there. No papers on the desk occupying his time. No reading to be done. Just existing. His breakfast was still untouched and long cold. It was a travesty to Spike. Twilight's prench toast was to die for! The smell alone should entice even the most stubborn of famine victims.

"Uhh, you alright?"

Alien body number one did not respond. He simply kept sitting there like a statue. He didn't even react when Spike poked his arm.

"Hello? Anyalien in there?"

"..."

The young drake scowled. What was his problem?

"C'mon, didn't anyone teach you it's rude to ignore baby dragons?"

He finally turned his head a bit.

"Finally," grumbled Spike under his breath. He decided to give the alien the benefit of the doubt for now. After all, he had forgotten his name.

Spike held up the board game in his claws.

"Wanna play?"

It only miffed him when Alien turned his head back to where it was and resumed staring into space. He dropped the game.

"Now, see here! I don't know what your problem is, but I'm just trying to be nice to you! And you're just sitting there like Rainbow Dash on any afternoon. What's the matter with you?!"

"..."

Spike's face began to turn red, and not because of the fire building up. He wasn't going to burn the alien. It would just send him to Celestia, anyway. That's how all of his fire worked. Twilight said so.

"I'm just trying to be nice to you. If you don't want to play, then just say no! It's not hard to do!"

Alien responded with a well thought out series of dots.

Spike growled lowly. "Twiiiliiiiiight!!!!!"

To his credit, alien didn't even flinch at the volume of Spike's voice. Nor did he so much as turn his head when Twilight teleported in to the room with a pop.

"What is it? Did you find termites?!"

Spike blinked. "Uhh, no."

Twilight sighed in relief. "Oh thank goodness."

She blinked. "Wait, what did you need then?"

Spike pointed an accusing claw at Alien.

"He keeps ignoring me! He barely even looks at me!"
Twilight gave a look at the alien in question, and then gave Spike a deadpan stare.

"You know he doesn't speak Equish, don't you?"
Spike was silent for a moment. "Yeah, I remember."

"And you know he isn't much of a talker in general, don't you?"
Spike nodded. Twilight took a step towards him.

"And you knocked on the door first, didn't you?"
Spike blinked. "Uhh..."

Twilight sighed. "Spike, what have I told you about barging in on ponies?"
Spike shrunk back a bit. "You do it sometimes too!"

Twilight nodded, exasperated. "Yes, I know. And I acknowledge that it's wrong and I try to limit how often I do it. Just because I've done it doesn't mean you should too!"

Spike rubbed an arm, the board game now long forgotten.
"But Twilight-"

She sighed. "I know you were trying to make him feel welcome, but that's going to come in time. When Hinka feels up to playing with you, you will know. But for now, I think he wants to be alone with his thoughts, and I think a certain baby dragon has a few chores to do."

Spike crossed his arms, though he did feel some relief flood his body. Hinka! That was going to keep him up all night.
"How come he doesn't have any chores?"

Twilight sighed again. "Because he just got here. Hinka needs some time to get settled in before I start giving him stuff to do around here. Don't you worry, Spike. He's going to have his responsibilities just like you."

She gave Hinka a smile, though he did not respond.

"In the meantime, though, I only have a few things for him to do: Feel better and be comfortable!"

Her smile wavered a bit. He was still staring into space. Did he have a nightmare?

She gave his shoulder a gentle pat while Spike, grumbling, walked out of the room.

"Spike! I better not see this game on the floor when I come back in here!"

He mumbled something in reply, though she could not hear.

"I mean it, young drake! You brought it in here, you can pick it up!"

She gave Hinka a gentle nudge.

"My friends will be coming by shortly for a get together. I'll send them up one at a time to see you. Feel better soon, Hinka."

He didn't.

Author's Note:

Something about this formatting is screwy to me. At least I think there is. Imma see what I can do about it, assuming I get a day off sometime before my death.